Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

It doesn't help when you read in the media poo poo like "cases have skyrocketed in the last 24hrs" and they just announced like 20 new cases or something.

Like gently caress sake.. yes we do need to be really really careful about this thing, because it can and will spread exponentially if left unchecked, but temper your words a bit.
This is apparently the first time in probably a decade that newspaper sales have been up, so expect headlines to go harder rather than tempering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
though to be fair a good chunk of those newspaper sales increases are prob. due to people needing a bog roll substitute

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

Thoughts on still going to the gym because they haven’t been closed yet??

Buy a kettlebell before the stores shut down and do what you can from home.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The Kins posted:

though to be fair a good chunk of those newspaper sales increases are prob. due to people needing a bog roll substitute

People who hoarded old phone books will be laughing.

I own a ridiculous amount of microfibre cloths so I can always get out the sewing machine and make reusable bum wipes if necessary.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gunna go get a haircut tomorrow before it's too late.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Gunna go get a haircut tomorrow before it's too late.

I'm wishing I'd done that weeks ago. I'm not willing to risk the shops for one now.

Planted some leafy greens and some beans today.

Trying to decide whether to bother with brassicas and carrots.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

if i run out of tp I'm getting the old sydways out of my car.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

If we’ve learned anything these last couple of weeks it’s that people consistently make the worst decisions in a supermarket, loving insane

That they do. I wonder if beef chuck is also being left behind cause if it is I'll do a batch of bourginon next week which'll leave me pretty set for the times that I don't have meal kits.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I managed to shore up supplies the other day but if all else fails then I guess I kept all those old Phantom comics for a reason

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ATTN Isaac, Lube Enthusiast:

quote:

Coronavirus: Canberra likely to follow NSW into territory-wide shutdown

The ACT will institute a territory-wide shutdown within 48 hours.

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said all non-essential services would be closed.

"I believe this decision is in the best interest of Canberrans, and will help slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community. Despite measures in place to discourage social interaction, there are still too many instances where people are exposing themselves to contracting the virus which is leading to an unsustainable increase in confirmed cases across the country," he said.

"We must also face the reality that, as a territory within NSW, it would be impossible for the ACT to have different arrangements than those in our surrounding region.

"We will ensure that Canberrans continue to have access to the services they need - supermarkets, petrol stations, banks, pharmacies, post offices and convenience stores. Freight and logistics will also be considered as an essential service. Over the next 48 hours, we will define these essential services and work closely with retailers on their requirements."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6691057/act-to-shutdown-non-essential-services-within-48-hours/?cs=17318

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Victoria's officially shut down.

My boss at the VBA just told us all not to come in tomoz. thank gently caress for govt job perks and the CPSU i've got 52 sick days and 40 annual leave.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Went to Indian grocer in Toongabbie, grabbed a kilo adzuki beans, kilo chickpeas, 2kg of red lentils, half kilo of raw cashews, half kilo of savoury snack mix, and a few varied masala mixes. got a really good egg curry one that my Mrs recommended, and a daal curry. That with 5kg of rice and my incoming spice resupply should see me through a 4-6 week isolation if it got to that point

My bog roll on the other hand may not

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
I hope Bunnings stays open, so many projects to work on when trapped at home.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nat...%20-%2020200322

"NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has declared non-essential services will shut down within 48 hours."

NSW is going down too.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I hope Bunnings stays open, so many projects to work on when trapped at home.

I actually am thinking about making a set of bedside tables if we go into lockdown. Just (probably) pine from Bunnings because I can't find any that are exactly what I want for a reasonable price.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Add loss of sense of smell to the list of symptoms which may indicate you have covid-19.

ENT UK posted:

There is new evidence for the loss of smell as a symptom of COVID-19 infection. We are circulating the following intelligence to Public Health England with regards to anosmia….details can be read below:

Post-viral anosmia is one of the leading causes of loss of sense of smell in adults…… Viruses that give rise to the common cold are well known to cause post-infectious loss, and over 200 different viruses are known to cause upper respiratory tract infections……. It is therefore perhaps no surprise that the novel COVID-19 virus would also cause anosmia in infected patients.

There is already good evidence from South Korea, China and Italy that significant numbers of patients with proven COVID-19 infection have developed anosmia/hyposmia. In Germany it is reported that more than 2 in 3 confirmed cases have anosmia. In South Korea, where testing has been more widespread, 30% of patients testing positive have had anosmia as their major presenting symptom in otherwise mild cases.

In addition, there have been a rapidly growing number of reports of a significant increase in the number of patients presenting with anosmia in the absence of other symptoms – this has been widely shared on medical discussion boards by surgeons from all regions managing a high incidence of cases. Iran has reported a sudden increase in cases of isolated anosmia, and many colleagues from the US, France and Northern Italy have the same experience. I have personally seen four patients this week, all under 40, and otherwise asymptomatic except for the recent onset of anosmia – I usually see roughly no more than one a month. I think these patients may be some of the hitherto hidden carriers that have facilitated the rapid spread of COVID-19. Unfortunately, these patients do not meet current criteria for testing or self-isolation.

https://www.fifthsense.org.uk/covid-19-corona-virus-and-smell-loss-guidance-from-fifth-sense-medical-director/

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Infographic showing the difference in projected cases between people following guidelines and people ignoring them.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

If you want to see something somewhat triggering, sites like the Courier Mail have removed the paywall to their covid-19 virus articles which means you can see the comments of lunatics who usually frequent the site.

It's like a whole other world of retards. There are people claiming they are going to the beach anyway "because they exercise not sunbake" (14 likes) and people calling the premiers a bunch of hypocrites for saying we need to stay home while they went to events a week+ ago (way to many likes) which I assume they now use as justification to go out and do whatever too.

Another good one:

> Does anyone truly believe this ALP rabble can steer Queensland through this crisis, thank God for leaders like Morrison and Dutton.

Really..

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Severing posted:

It's like a whole other world of retards. There are people claiming they are going to the beach anyway "because they exercise not sunbake" (14 likes) and people calling the premiers a bunch of hypocrites for saying we need to stay home while they went to events a week+ ago (way to many likes) which I assume they now use as justification to go out and do whatever too.

Watch them shriek when forcible quarantine starts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I do have to wonder what all that stimulus package money is gonna get spent on when everything's shut...

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The Kins posted:

I do have to wonder what all that stimulus package money is gonna get spent on when everything's shut...

Online sales.

My daughter just messaged me saying there's going to be another round of coronabux in July.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lolie posted:

Online sales.
I figure, but seems a bit counter-intuitive for money intended to stimulate the Australian economy to go straight to Amazon or Uber Eats or other American corporations... but what do I know? I'm not a politician. :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Look legalise weed, and I'm pretty sure we'll stimulate the economy back to what it needs to be within a week.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
If you receive government benefits you need to read this. People on some benefits will be paid an additional $550 per fortnight for 6 months from 27 April

The Coronavirus Supplement will be provided to people receiving:

JobSeeker Payment
Sickness Allowance
Youth Allowance for jobseekers
Parenting Payment Partnered
Parenting Payment Single
Partner Allowance
Sickness Allowance
Farm Household Allowance

People who don't qualify for the Coronavirus Supplement but who receive one of these payments will be paid two payments of $750

On 22 March 2020, the Government announced it would extend the eligibility for the first Economic Support payment to people who were eligible for their payment or card between 12 March 2020 and 13 April 2020 (inclusive). The Government also announced it would provide a second Economic Support payment, also of $750 to people eligible for any of the payments or cards in the first round of payments on 10 July 2020 so long as they do not receive the Coronavirus Supplement with their payment,

To be eligible for the first Economic Support payment you must be residing in Australia and be receiving one of the following payments or hold one of the following concession cards:

Age Pension
Disability Support Pension
Carer Payment
Parenting Payment
Wife Pension
Widow B Pension
ABSTUDY (Living Allowance)
Austudy
Bereavement Allowance
Newstart Allowance
Youth Allowance
Partner Allowance
Sickness Allowance
Special Benefit
Widow Allowance
Family Tax Benefit, including Double Orphan Pension
Carer Allowance
Pensioner Concession Card holders
Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders
Veteran Service Pension; Veteran Income Support Supplement; Veteran Compensation payments, including lump sum payments; War Widow(er) Pension; and Veteran Payment
DVA PCC holders; DVA Education Scheme recipients; Disability Pensioners at the temporary special rate; DVA Income support pensioners at $0 rate
Veteran Gold Card holders
Farm Household Allowance.

Eligibility for the second Economic Support payment is for the same group of people but only if they do not receive the Coronavirus Supplement with their payment,

Eligibility for Jobseeker Payment is also being expanded to include the self-employed.

https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/coronavirus-information-and-support

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Fark wish I got corona bux

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It’s insane that an lnp government is putting Newstart at something reasonable, fat fuckin chance it’ll stick around after this is over if dsp aren’t getting a regular bump in pay tho

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Kharnifex posted:

Fark wish I got corona bux

I’ll pay you fifty bucks and a pumpkin if you dig some holes there ya go mate poo poo it forward

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Thinking about it they don’t really have a choice except to raise Newstart for now, a LOT of people have shifted from underemployed to unemployed bc of this and it’s barely started. If they tried to make regular people live on Newstart for any amount of time there’d be blood in the streets before the cricket season

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone here APS? Do we go to work tomorrow or what?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
they're gonna burn through all of those pretty fast, have you seen their APMs bro

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone here APS? Do we go to work tomorrow or what?

you'll be told tomorrow if you aren't essential and sent home, will depend on your department/role.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

naeka posted:

you'll be told tomorrow if you aren't essential and sent home, will depend on your department/role.

i'm vps. my boss just texted me to say we're expected to work from home, not sure how that'll work since the IT infrastructure was never set up

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Likely stocking up for an entire offices worth of people to WFH.

I'm not saying it's not dumb, but it makes more sense than 5 years worth of toilet paper.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I'm working unless (until) confirmed exposure with a shitload of overtime needed. :tif:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im not on centrelink anymore but I got a text from the job network telling me I have an appointment 10am tommorow morning. I was already planning to go there to verbally abuse their manager as its something I enjoy, and nothings changed about that plan.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Can you abuse them via videochat instead?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

ili posted:

Can you abuse them via videochat instead?

I like to make sure im interupting whatever hes doing. You can only do that by storming into his office in person

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
What does non-essential services mean. Is westfield going to be closed or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Isaac posted:

What does non-essential services mean. Is westfield going to be closed or what
They're being cagey about defining it. Shopping centers will probably be open due to them having supermarkets, post offices, banks and other essential stuff inside, but like half the poo poo in there will likely be shut.