Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My work is closed for the foreseeable future but I was made redundant anyway in the next few weeks. Time to work on my kits!

Anyone used any of the Kotobukiya mechanical chain hanger kits? They look neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Jesus tap-dancing Christ, the engineering for the RG Aile Strike is NUTS. IIRC there are zero visible seams on the Strike itself, and the Aile Pack is designed with panel lines at the seam to the point that I just nodded in appreciation SO much.

Is there such a thing as a 1/144 scale MS catapult with the foot things, and one that'd fit the Skygrasper? I need a dual-launch display for this setup.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I think I'm gonna do some builds on Twitch while poo poo's on lockdown. I need something "social" to do.

Still need to panel line the 30mm for March, and there's an Astray Turn Red and a Buster Gundam in the backlog. :getin:

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
The only thing that readily comes to mind is that catapult they showed at the last, Wonder festival I think. But that was 1; of Zeta Gundam's ship and 2; an unpainted prototype, so I don't think it's up for order.

Other than that, I think there was a whitebase action figure (not model kit) a few years back that could be opened up to expose the hangar and catapult, but that one probably wasn't in the right scale anyhow.
Edit: I think this may be what I was remembering; https://en.megahobby.jp/products/realistic-model-series-mobile-suit-gundam-1-144-scale-hguc-series-white-base-catapult-deck-renewal-edition
It seems to be pretty solid, though expensive and huge. (but then again, it's a whole hangar+catapult deck, of course it's huge.) No provisions for a spacejet that I can see though.

The closest thing on a more affordable budget I could find was this, the M.S.G Mechanical Chain Base Hangar Type B; http://en.kotobukiya.co.jp/product/product-0000002147/ (not to be confused with the Type-A, which seems to be the storage/maintenance area. Kotobukiya seems to like splitting its accessory bits up into 2 halves like this.)
It has the footpads at least, but little else and being Kotobukiya, I expect the scale to be a bit off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If the Olympics are cancelled will we still get the Olympic Gundams?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey, so, I've been out of gunpla for a while and I kinda had a hankering to get back into it recently... but I don't really know which models to get. If I want to make something from G Gundam, are there any good recommendations I should look at? I don't want anything TOO expensive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hey, so, I've been out of gunpla for a while and I kinda had a hankering to get back into it recently... but I don't really know which models to get. If I want to make something from G Gundam, are there any good recommendations I should look at? I don't want anything TOO expensive.

The HGs from 2010-2011 (that long ago? geez) of G, Shining, Nobell, and Master (comes with Fuunsaki!) are pretty decent and inexpensive if they're currently available. Outside of that you're looking at MGs from 2002 and no grades from the 90s. If you can't find them send me a PM, I can probably help.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And if you just want to say "gently caress it, who needs money" there's the high resolution God Gundam.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Going to start on the PG Exia after dinner, just spent like fifteen minutes un-bagging the runners and sorting them. Looking through the instructions, I love that the runners are broken out into base, frame, armour and weapons. Also love that it has you make the frame first before armouring it up.

I have the next week booked off work (I was supposed to go on holiday to New York before the pandemic) see if I can finish this off before I go back to work.

Guess I'll do a bit of a build diary or something as I go?

You can ignore about everything on the back half of the table

Having so many runners is daunting. Normally I just arrange all the runners in those wooden plate stands (at the back of the photo), way too many to do that this time.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The nice thing about the kit is that it will tell you which runners it needs in order to build that specific part.

Have some glue handy, I had to glue the bottom of the waist square keep it from popping off because it's four small pegs trying to handle the leg weight.

Also the lights won't work until you complete the GN Drive and plug it in, it completes the circuit.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Was planning on getting the RG EVA from a local shop but they’ve obviously closed indefinitely. Debating preordering it from somewhere like USA Gundam and potentially waiting longer/paying shipping so I’m thinking of waiting to see if things improve. Should I be worried about it selling out or getting difficult to come by if I don’t preorder it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

Was planning on getting the RG EVA from a local shop but they’ve obviously closed indefinitely. Debating preordering it from somewhere like USA Gundam and potentially waiting longer/paying shipping so I’m thinking of waiting to see if things improve. Should I be worried about it selling out or getting difficult to come by if I don’t preorder it?

I suspect it's going to be like the MG Barbatos where it's so wildly popular that they do multiple runs of it in the first few months so you can probably wait for it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It'd be nice if HLJ would get their EVA-01 orders out at some point. Still a whole lotta crickets over here.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Azubah posted:

The nice thing about the kit is that it will tell you which runners it needs in order to build that specific part.

Have some glue handy, I had to glue the bottom of the waist square keep it from popping off because it's four small pegs trying to handle the leg weight.

Also the lights won't work until you complete the GN Drive and plug it in, it completes the circuit.

yeah, I didn't glue it and now any time i try to change the legs pose, the waist drops and hangs by the LED cable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Done for tonight, managed the base and the torso frame.

By far the most complicated base I've put together, sturdy feeling too. Somewhat nerve-wracking feeding the wires through, but it was super satisfying extending the base and feeling no pulling from the wires when done.

Totally the same scale guys. Will probably paint the standing figure at some point, maybe the seated one too depending on how hard it is to get out and if you can actually see it when the hatch is open.

This felt super satisfying to do and time just flew while doing it. I put on a podcast once I started on the torso and by the time I had finished I was two hours through it, didn't feel like it at all.
The soft translucent pieces are cool, I can't wait to see how they'll look once the lights are on. Surprised that the kit has plolycaps, or something similar. Runner S1 seems to the same soft rubber material.
Again, dealing with the wires was nerve-wracking and it feels like the wire for the head should be longer, but I guess I'll see how much slack the lights for the head have. It'll probably be fine.

And my set-up at the end of the build session.
See if I can knock-out the rest of the frame tomorrow, flicking ahead through the manual it looks like the legs will be fairly quick.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
You should be able to test the body LEDs if you build the build the GN drive and plug it in, I have pictures on my phone of just the body+legs built with the LEDs on. I'm pretty sure I just didn't have AAs around before that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grassy gnoll posted:

It'd be nice if HLJ would get their EVA-01 orders out at some point. Still a whole lotta crickets over here.

My preorder's already been inbound in the mail for a week now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

More Olympics Gunpla

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My preorder's already been inbound in the mail for a week now.

Standard or launcher version?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So my HLJ order showed up just in time to make deadline for the Group Build. Debating between 'Portanova Amazing' or 'Full Armor Portanova' as I go.

Straight build is basically complete at this point, need to strengthen a couple joints and do the panel lining and weathering by the 30th.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grassy gnoll posted:

Standard or launcher version?

Standard.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
http://www.d4toys.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=852
The new Gurren Lagann kit is up for preorder! Just take my money!

I keep putting off getting an airbrush because I thought there were very few models I actually wanted to build, but my backlog and preorder list just keeps growing and growing...

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Welp, I caved. Been trying to be responsible with my money since I don't know when I'll get to go back to work, or when my benefits kick in, but Newtype has a sale on all HG kits this weekend.. :shepspends:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh crap, I left my 30mm build at work.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally got around to taking some stupid rear end pictures of the RG Eva 01.

https://imgur.com/a/S8oGf8e

As you can see it's good for both serious and joke poses. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

These are beautiful :allears:.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ezotas_1/status/1241660615162122241?s=20

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Day 2 of my PG Exia build.

Did the legs and the GN Drive on day 2. Good to see the lights working, looks loving fantastic.
Had a bit of a surprise when the instructions told me to attach the lower legs, which they never told me to build. It was at that point that I realised that the book that came with the lights only covers the parts of the frame that has lights in, so it skipped the lower legs (also the hands, but that's day 3).
Amazed how well the rubber-ish bits carry light, lower legs look great even though there's no lights in them, the core of the lower legs is just one big rubber piece and frame goes around it.

Day 3

Again, surprised how well the light carries through the silicone bits in the arms.
Uh, ignore the missing hand. Forgot to make it before taking the picture.

And head. Not much to say really, looks cool.

Going to start on the armour tomorrow. Need to do something to kill time since Half-Life Alyx doesn't come out until 6pm over here.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Hold the power button down when you flick the switch for a second set of programmed light show!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
That's loving gorgeous. Can't wait to see the finished build.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RillAkBea posted:

Is it a fun build? I know I complained about RG Red Astray but it grew on me and the final product was gorgeous.

EDIT: Aw heck of course after I post this I go over to play with poses on it and I end up popping off a few parts, one of which I can't find. I suck at posing :(

EDIT2: Okay just check you last few posts on the RG Eva. Sounds pretty cool :)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 23, 2020

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it a fun build? I know I complained about RG Red Astray but it grew on me and the final product was gorgeous.

EDIT: Aw heck of course after I post this I go over to play with poses on it and I end up popping off a few parts, one of which I can't find. I suck at posing :(

EDIT2: Okay just check you last few posts on the RG Eva. Sounds pretty cool :)

Very fun!. It's a very intricate build, the head in particular is practically black magic!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Very fun!. It's a very intricate build, the head in particular is practically black magic!

Is it anything like the older RG's, where half the reason they take longer to build is fiddling with a finished limb just to watch all the armor plates intricately slide back and forth?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Finally remembered to take photos of my first two Rk-91/92 builds. I figured that since it was a Soviet-designed Arm Slave, by logic they would have exported it or sold its license to allies to build locally. Thus I did my builds based on that, even the one that was a camouflage disaster with poo poo breaking and falling off constantly in true Warsaw Pact fashion.

I hypothesized that the Rk-91, being the earlier design which supposedly was an underperformer (God dammit I wish I hung onto that FMP fanbook that I used to have, it talked about it more), it would have been somewhat obsolescent. Since North Korea still operates borderline ancient T-55 tanks, I reasoned that a DPRK Rk-91 (DPRk-91?) would exist, based on the inevitable Chinese license-built copy of the T-55. I took the camo scheme from a propaganda photo of soldiers in a similar scheme that was way brighter green, and made this one a little old but still usable in the field.

I sprayed on the numbers from a template that I had and it looked SO GOOD. I'm going to order a bunch more in the same stencil. I put down some dips and dabs of masking fluid before spraying, and ended up sponge-chipping the base green on. It looks way artificial in this close-up so I might just tap the side of the brush at random depths to help break things up and show more wear.

Only here do I realize I used the Rk-92's back parts. Oh well. It looks like a sassy supermodel pose from this angle.

The Rk-92 was the principle Soviet-bloc Arm Slave and was exported to Soviet-bloc allies. However, I'm guessing that during this version of the Cold War, some of those allies changed things up. Egypt did this after taking delivery of some MiG-23s, and once they aligned themselves with the West a little more closely, they sold one such MiG-23 to the US for use in evaluating and testing. You can see this MiG-23 at the US Air Force Museum.

This Rk-92 follows the same example of a US-evaluated example. The decals I used were from an old B-58 kit and the carrier film is crazy thick in these photos even over the gloss coat with Mr. Mark Softer. I tried to fade out the numbers and USAF emblem a little. Looks better from a distance.

The paint chipping was done in the wrongest possible way. I didn't like the camo scheme I posted earlier so I just gloss topcoated and sprayed on the robins-egg blue enamel that you see here, and just used lighter fluid to weather away the paint. I should have just used chipping fluid but that's hindsight for ya. One of the cemented upper arms cracked wide open and the peg holding the elbow broke, so it's got a big-rear end crack. The camo/painted left kneecap got eaten by the floor monster so congratulations, it's got a hastily-fabricated knee from the Rk-91 kit (the olive Rk-92 kit is the only one that contains parts for the Rk-91 and -92, so these were spares).

Cursed kit is cursed. Now I gotta dig up some actual Eastern Bloc camo schemes that I won't upwardly gently caress as bad as the road-atlas splitter.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So I remember saying earlier I had two perfect grades in my backlog. I thought, why not make it the magic 3.

I'm a practical reasonable consumer, if I do say so myself.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

I'm REAL REAL REAL BAD at posing, but i'll likely finish this up with panel line and a matte coat, but here she is, G40.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The G40 was one of my favoutie HG build in a long time.

I think it almost beats out the Narrative Sinanju Stein but not quite. That was a great build.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just had a great idea for a 30mm kitbash. Use a green Portanova as a base and build the Doom Slayer.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They're making a F90 2 and it comes with an interceptor load-out (big rear end shield with rockets), I think it's supposed to be compatible with the other load-outs as well. It looks pretty rad and I really liked the MG of the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
https://twitter.com/krm556/status/1242434768777523200