Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Out of the frying pan into the fire, superb

Come stay with me like ratty and I don't even have a patio for you to end up under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZachLowy/status/1241486423062085632?s=19

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Go around with a meter stick pointing out of your belly while yelling "social distance!" at strangers.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I've developed a dry cough and i'm self isolating for a week. Stay safe goons.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

winegums posted:

I've developed a dry cough and i'm self isolating for a week. Stay safe goons.

14 days! Hope it passes quickly.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just been talking to my English wife about the word 'line' to mean an instruction or authorisation for something. Like a line from your doctor or in a building yard you'll get a line from the counter to say what you're picking up. Do people use this in the North of England as well?

Also messages for your shopping.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't ever heard that, you can drop people a line but that more specifically means to call them on the phone IMO.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Most cursed avatar material

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Credit to Hitchens (and half-credit to Alex Jones) for keeping their worldviews consistent at least.
What's Jones been up to? He's never really had to face something that couldn't be cured with the brain force. I know David Icke thinks that it's being used to push the global authority totalitarian cult, but he thinks that about the speaking clock.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Doesn't explain why there were no light bulbs though.
Brussels :argh:

Aramoro posted:

Just been talking to my English wife about the word 'line' to mean an instruction or authorisation for something. Like a line from your doctor or in a building yard you'll get a line from the counter to say what you're picking up. Do people use this in the North of England as well?
I've heard it more as 'a version of events', like the line from Whitehall categorically denies that lizard people are using the virus to establish a new world order, but...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If this trend continues his eyes are going to be in the middle of his skull by june.

Guavanaut posted:

I've heard it more as 'a version of events', like the line from Whitehall categorically denies that lizard people are using the virus to establish a new world order, but...
Yeah there's that one, in the sense of alluding to the response being scripted, especially when repeated a lot by many ministers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder if this will remain relatively concentrated in London and the South East, or if we'll see similar numbers throughout the country in a couple weeks. I guess the capital's density, centralised economic areas where more people work, and cramped public transit does not work in its favour here.

12 deaths in Wales so far including 7 since yesterday.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/22/seven-people-die-coronavirus-wales-just-24-hours-12437617/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

What's Jones been up to? He's never really had to face something that couldn't be cured with the brain force. I know David Icke thinks that it's being used to push the global authority totalitarian cult, but he thinks that about the speaking clock.

the fact you don't know is ultimate proof no platforming works

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

Cressid, a Dick,

Still the source of my favourite blooper on daytime TV, where a POintless contestant thought her first name was Caressa.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

14 days! Hope it passes quickly.

7 days if symptomatic is trust policy, 14 if you're not. So GF is off for 2 weeks but I'll be back to work next weekend.

Everywhere seems to be doing things slightly differently....

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jneeley78/status/1241673431680237569?s=20

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is it a good idea to go for a run today? Like, central London out to Hackney and back down the canal for a quick eight miles. I'm going nuts cooped up in this house.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Naruto run and no one will come near you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

go for a swim in the thames there'll be nobody around you there

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1241676434680229888?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol I'm just looking for any kind of reassurance to cling onto in the face of this constant sense of anxiety and dread, but wherever I look it's just more terrifying reminders of the fragility of life and my own mortality. It's just exhausting. I don't feel I've been able to just relax without drinking for so long, and it's only been a week and a bit.

I'm reasonably good keeping on top of my own mental health, or at least being self-aware enough to mitigate the worst of any problems, but I'm not going to lie, I'm really struggling here.

My heart genuinely goes out to those dealing with this with serious anxiety/depression issues too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

the fact you don't know is ultimate proof no platforming works
Has PJW been no platformed too? I have no idea what his idiot take on the whole thing is and I'd have expected to have found out by no via a series of facepalms.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Last I heard Alex Jones was fighting several defamation lawsuits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stop reading about it (and, I would suggest, people maybe stop crossposting scaremongering from the coronavirus thread here, you can go over there if you want to wank yourself into an coma about it) and just do something fun that doesn't involve politics/social media.

For example I decided to reinstall battle for middle earth 2 because it's abandoned and you can download it but there's some mega mods for it and BFME2 is a loving gold RTS anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

Is it a good idea to go for a run today? Like, central London out to Hackney and back down the canal for a quick eight miles. I'm going nuts cooped up in this house.

I'm still going out for my daily constitutional but a) I don't seem to be taking this as seriously as some people b) even on a normal day I'd maybe go past no more than 10 people in an hour out walking. Today I'll be unlucky to see 3 or 4 and they'll all be dog walkers.

So YMMV but wash your hands, exercise social distancing, it'll be fine. Whether the later is practical in London you'll know better than me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Last I heard Alex Jones was fighting several defamation lawsuits.
I like to imagine that he's literally fighting them, shirtless and covered in crisco Charles Bronson style.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

I'm still going out for my daily constitutional but a) I don't seem to be taking this as seriously as some people b) even on a normal day I'd maybe go past no more than 10 people in an hour out walking. Today I'll be unlucky to see 3 or 4 and they'll all be dog walkers.

So YMMV but wash your hands, exercise social distancing, it'll be fine. Whether the later is practical in London you'll know better than me.

I'm just going to avoid other people and not touch anything.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm spending my time writing a mod for DnD 5e that lets people play in a magical early 20th century. I'll test it as a one shot for my irl table.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Got an update from my work social network today that's like "good news! we're busier than ever!" and also apparently they & many other builders merchants are specifically petitioning the government to declare us key workers and insist that even if there's a lockdown we remain open :)

I'm literally sobbing reading it like I always knew intellectually that as a minimum wage worker my life means approximately nothing to capitalists but I didn't expect to get that confirmed so brazenly and prefaced with the words "good news!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol I'm just looking for any kind of reassurance to cling onto in the face of this constant sense of anxiety and dread, but wherever I look it's just more terrifying reminders of the fragility of life and my own mortality. It's just exhausting. I don't feel I've been able to just relax without drinking for so long, and it's only been a week and a bit.

I'm reasonably good keeping on top of my own mental health, or at least being self-aware enough to mitigate the worst of any problems, but I'm not going to lie, I'm really struggling here.

My heart genuinely goes out to those dealing with this with serious anxiety/depression issues too.

i'm glad my brain is for some reason mostly immune to the anxiety of reading about this despite the anxiety about loving everything else in my life

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm glad my brain is for some reason mostly immune to the anxiety of reading about this despite the anxiety about loving everything else in my life

Very much the same. For whatever reason my brain has a massively detached sense of this whole thing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Very much the same. For whatever reason my brain has a massively detached sense of this whole thing.

Aren't you way up in the Highlands? That probably helps!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

josh04 posted:

Most cursed avatar material

To be fair to Boris, I would expect any leader of a country to look extremely harried in a situation like this.

To be realistic, he's looking that way because he's worried about the consequences for himself, not for anyone else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anyway this guy is a good twitter follow he's a deep sea fisherman and posts photos of the weird poo poo they bring up

https://twitter.com/rfedortsov/status/1236962719837847552?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Aren't you way up in the Highlands? That probably helps!

Apparently some loving dipshits have been treating the whole thing like the holidays & have been coming up here. Campsites are so loving busy they are having to turn folk away. So yeah, I am imagining it's going to hit properly soon enough unfortunately.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I can't imagine how crazy it'll get when people reach 12 weeks of this poo poo and realize it's going to last for most if not all, of this year.

There's probably going to be riots or some sort of large scale disobedience

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Even the worst case predictions assuming no intervention at all showed cases peaking late May/June and then beginning to drop off, mostly subsiding by September or so

E: lots dead in that time though, oh yes

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Run through normal streets, not along the canal. Every park and popular walking route in London is absolutely heaving, like 3-4x as busy as a normal weekend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

:same:

idk why, I think it's half this

and half that pneumonia isn't really a bad way to go, all things considered. Better by far than starvation or despair or war or deportation or racist violence or all the other ways they were trying to kill us over the past decades.

tired: Boris, save us from coronavirus
wired: coronavirus, save us from Boris

I am a bit worried they're going to use these sweeping powers to go after the people they've always wanted an excuse to go after, but it's not like they weren't anyway.

Jose posted:

anyway this guy is a good twitter follow he's a deep sea fisherman and posts photos of the weird poo poo they bring up

https://twitter.com/rfedortsov/status/1236962719837847552?s=20
He should pose it drinking a glass of water.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Even the worst case predictions assuming no intervention at all showed cases peaking late May/June and then beginning to drop off, mostly subsiding by September or so

E: lots dead in that time though, oh yes

I think you're being a tad optimistic about the time scale

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

Apparently some loving dipshits have been treating the whole thing like the holidays & have been coming up here. Campsites are so loving busy they are having to turn folk away. So yeah, I am imagining it's going to hit properly soon enough unfortunately.

Nicola needs to close the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

I think you're being a tad optimistic about the time scale

I'm just going off the published data