Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

That is not how I would have expected that to break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

*Snap-Off joke here*.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
thats what you get for using a chrome socket on an impact gun. didnt they always tell you something bad would happen!!!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Bet that made a fun noise.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
I'm impressed he held on hard enough for the casing to crack in half before his wrist did. That's some SERIOUS torque involved!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Get a new one off the truck. That one goes on the wall of shame somewhere.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nothing good about 16R20s.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

Happy birthday!

You’re going to need a new front yoke to go along with the seized cross bearing, unless they are included as part of the driveshaft assembly by Subraru.

They are. Subaru stakes the u-joints in. Non-serviceable unless you go to a driveshaft shop and have it converted to run regular u-joints.

Dorman makes an aftermarket for :homebrew:; the OE part is :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: if you can still get it.

ihop posted:

I don't know about the MT, or the Forester in general, but I think the owner's manual in my old impreza instructed that if you needed to use a spare, you were supposed to put it on the rear and pull a fuse that sent power to the center diff to keep it from munching itself.

I'm fairly sure that only works on the automatic models.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 22, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

dpack_1 posted:

I'm impressed he held on hard enough for the casing to crack in half before his wrist did. That's some SERIOUS torque involved!

Probably long term fatigue failure centered around a flaw in the casting, probably just stop hitting and when dude pulled it away cause he was like huh? He saw that.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s ok, according to the branding this is some kind of modular tool.

Edit: welp, forgot to refresh or there was another page of my same lovely joke already

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I love getting rental equipment repair invoices for the way they write.

Repair Invoice posted:

Customer stated that unit was being used to hammer a rock into the ground. Bucket was deemed a good tool for this.

Arrived on site and found a bolt sheared off from coupler mounting. Also found that thumb was bent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Edward IV posted:

Unfortunately, I have yet another contribution to make.

But to follow up on the Forester's burst turbo oil return line, it ended up taking the better part of two weeks to get it back up and running since the parts the technician had initially ordered didn't fit. In any case, I had only lost 3/4 qt of oil and it ended up being less than $100 in parts and such so no real harm was done.

Now onto this morning's clusterfuck. Less than 10 yards after pulling out of the driveway in the Forester, I hear and feel a loud thud from the transmission tunnel as I was pulling away in second gear and a lot of shuddering. I pull off to the side and look underneath and am greeted with this.

After assessing that nothing else critical had broken, I slowly try to make my way back to my parking spot. I can't go too fast or else I get a lot of shuddering from what I guess is the center diff complaining that the viscous coupling isn't meant to send all power to the front wheels. As a result, I'm going as slow as I can while riding the clutch in first gear. On top of all of that, the shifter no longer points straight up in neutral since it looks like the driveshaft had smacked and dented the shifter linkage when it broke free. :flaccid:

Now that I think I know what an engaged viscous coupling feels like, I think I figured out what happened. The last time I drove the car, I noticed the driveline would shudder as I was pulling away from a stop while in first and second gear but would stop after getting to speed. My guess is that the joint had seized to the point that the transmission couldn't easily rotate the shaft while at a stand still until I got enough speed to unload the opposite end of the driveshaft as the rear wheels got moving.

In any case, it looks like I'm going to need a new driveshaft. If it weren't for the fact that the Forester has broken down near work or home instead of on the streets or highway or I haven't had to pay a lot to get the car towed and repaired, I would be done with this car. I guess I really should count myself loving lucky I broke down where I did and the car hasn't immolated itself or filled the crankcase with milkshake yet.

Despite COVID-19 and the associated insanity, I'm still busy at work making ambulances and emergency support vehicles (again I guess I should count myself fortunate) and haven't gotten around figuring out where or how to get the car fixed. And I still need to get around to throwing a cat on the exhaust to pass inspection but at least COVID-19 has granted me a two month extension to get that resolved.

Also, yesterday was my birthday so yah! :negative:

Really though , I'm counting myself fortunate to have things turn out the way they did and I've developed a newfound respect for my poverty spec Impreza for being so dependable but that's probably due to it having only half of the Forester's 200,000+ miles.

Auto or manual, and what year? If it's a manual 98-02 (or will interchange) I've got a whole driveshaft from my old one in central Mass, yours for pick n pull price. They're not too bad to replace, about a dozen bolts to get stuff out of the way and then 6 bolts for the driveshaft itself.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

StormDrain posted:

I love getting rental equipment repair invoices for the way they write.

Educate me. What's the thumb?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nothing. What's the thumb with you?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

As far as the catalyst issue, It absolutely has a catalytic converter. It’s on the downpipe off the turbo in the stock front location. It shouldn’t be difficult to find. Your inspection tech must have been in a hurry to get home that day.

Here’s the pic again showing exactly where it is. It’s marked SUBARU on the stock pipe and the aftermarket one has it in the same location.

After getting the oil line fixed, I took it to a shop that does inspections (but not exhaust work) near where I work and they wouldn't pass it either. The guy called it a racing exhaust but I did point out that there is a cat right after the turbo. I don't know if it's because it already got slapped with a rejection tag and they didn't want to risk losing their certification for passing it "improperly" but either way they wouldn't pass it. With the two month extension for all DMV stuff and now the busted driveshaft, I'm not going to deal with the exhaust for a while. At this point, though, I think I'm just going to throw the cat on there and not have to deal with this horseshit in two years. That said, I haven't been able to get in contact with Precision Tuning on the phone for any suggestions and that was before the mandatory shutdown. They should still technically be open but I think I would rather tackle the driveshaft myself and let them deal with the exhaust if it comes to that since the former will probably cost a pretty penny to get a flatbed to tow it to their shop plus their labor rates for doing both the driveshaft and exhaust.

kastein posted:

Auto or manual, and what year? If it's a manual 98-02 (or will interchange) I've got a whole driveshaft from my old one in central Mass, yours for pick n pull price. They're not too bad to replace, about a dozen bolts to get stuff out of the way and then 6 bolts for the driveshaft itself.

'05 manual. Will that still work?

I've been meaning to look into what's needed to DIY and it seems pretty feasible besides needing to buy and/or rent some tools and equipment since I pretty have nothing nor know anyone with the proper tools. I'm guessing I'm going to need jacks, ramps, sockets, and an impact gun. Will a new shaft seal for the transfer case be needed or recommended?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat, looks like you need an 03-05 manual donor. Sorry to get your hopes up... Prices aren't awful on rockauto but you can probably get one for 30-50 at your local pick n pull and it'll give you practice. IIRC I needed a 12mm box wrench (low profile, not ratcheting box wrench, won't fit) or two, a 14, and a 17mm socket, extensions, ratchet, etc plus what's needed to pull the exhaust. The one good thing about Subarus is that you can do practically everything on them with 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm. You might need a 10 for some heatshield bolts speaking of which.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wouldn't it be throwing a P0420 if it was a "racing exhaust" without a cat?

I wouldn't bother with the seal unless it's oily around it. If it does need it, that type of seal is generally "figure out how to remove without gouging mating surface" and "block of wood or socket with a mallet to hammer in, throw some oil on the seal first". Just like a crank seal, or like axle seals on a FWD car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 24, 2020

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

kastein posted:

drat, looks like you need an 03-05 manual donor. Sorry to get your hopes up... Prices aren't awful on rockauto but you can probably get one for 30-50 at your local pick n pull and it'll give you practice. IIRC I needed a 12mm box wrench (low profile, not ratcheting box wrench, won't fit) or two, a 14, and a 17mm socket, extensions, ratchet, etc plus what's needed to pull the exhaust. The one good thing about Subarus is that you can do practically everything on them with 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm. You might need a 10 for some heatshield bolts speaking of which.

No problem. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to driving the 6-8 hour round trip even if it means getting a chance to get out of the apartment. While I'll still keep looking around, it looks like I may have to buy new or remanufactured since, where I'm at, wrecked manual 03-05 Foresters are just as hard to find as running ones. :haw:

STR posted:

From the looks of it, the state inspection facility and the local shop probably don't have much experience dealing with modified cars and err on the side of failing such cars rather than passing. The odd thing is the NJ doesn't seem to require CARB compliant cats like NY and ME so I'm not sure where this restrictiveness comes from besides it not being not being OEM.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

STR posted:

You can space the o2 sensor out further to prevent this

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Colostomy Bag posted:

The thing with red arrows pointed at it that you see on some excavators and backhoes. Lets you use the bucket to grab stuff.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

I installed the exhaust and it does have a cat, in addition to the Cobb having tuning capabilities for deleting the signal for the P0420.

But there is 100% a cat and saying there isn’t one is a bullshit excuse. I suppose it’s their prerogative to pass or fail but it’s got emissions equipment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

razak posted:

The thing with red arrows pointed at it that you see on some excavators and backhoes. Lets you use the bucket to grab stuff.

That completely changes that post. :lol:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

razak posted:

Does that fold all the way back along the arm, or do you need to unmount it if you want to dig?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That piston length and arm ratio looks like it'll fold it back pretty far.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

This depends entirely on the car, and Subarus usually don't like it.

In my limited experience with this trick, it seems anything using an A/F sensor as the primary instead of a narrowband O2 pick up on it pretty quick; they either throw a code for the sensor, or the fuel trim gets thrown off.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

STR posted:

This depends entirely on the car, and Subarus usually don't like it.

In my limited experience with this trick, it seems anything using an A/F sensor as the primary instead of a narrowband O2 pick up on it pretty quick; they either throw a code for the sensor, or the fuel trim gets thrown off.

doesn’t the downstream O2 sensor really just tell the ECU that there is a cat, and that it’s functioning? I was under the impression AFRs and trim are only controlled by pre-cat sensors...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That piston length and arm ratio looks like it'll fold it back pretty far.

^^^What he said, they typically fold right the gently caress out the way when not in use.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

snugglz posted:

doesn’t the downstream O2 sensor really just tell the ECU that there is a cat, and that it’s functioning? I was under the impression AFRs and trim are only controlled by pre-cat sensors...

Used to be, yeah. Some newer stuff will fine tune it based on what the secondary reports, after figuring out how well the cat is working. Subaru started doing that around 2005 on USDM models, IIRC. :iiam:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

STR posted:

P0420 Blaze it :okpos: downstream of the :catdrugs:

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Computer viking posted:

Does that fold all the way back along the arm, or do you need to unmount it if you want to dig?

There are two types, the one pictured is hydraulic and folds right back along the arm from the comfort of your seat.

There are also fixed ones where you have to get out and mess about with pins and stuff to fold it back.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

snugglz posted:

Really depends on the car, but some makes/models/years use the downstream O2 average as the goal voltage for the upstream on the theory that it allows slight variations in O2 sensor and ECU measurement accuracy to drop out of the equation and gives more accurate fuel metering as a result.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"slight pull to the right"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

:hmmyes: clearly in spec

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kind of the anti-horrible failure, I've been driving it for 2 weeks like this, but it will certainly turn into a "you dumbass" (insert removed Super Milk Chan smile here) mechanical failure if I keep driving it. My daily work commute is 3.5 miles round trip, that's the only reason I've gotten away with driving it like this for so long (that and topping it off with Walmart's finest 50/50 premix every time I drive it)

I have a new radiator sitting here, I have 2 days off in a row starting 3 hours ago, but .... it's raining. And the first thing I did when I got out of work was buy some 9% beer, so I'm in no shape to go get coolant and ATF.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 30, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Honestly surprised it's not the head gaskets for once.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

Kind of the anti-horrible failure, I've been driving it for 2 weeks like this, but it will certainly turn into a "you dumbass" (insert removed Super Milk Chan smile here) mechanical failure if I keep driving it. My daily work commute is 3.5 miles round trip, that's the only reason I've gotten away with driving it like this for so long (that and topping it off with Walmart's finest 50/50 premix every time I drive it)

I have a new radiator sitting here, I have 2 days off in a row starting 3 hours ago, but .... it's raining. And the first thing I did when I got out of work was buy some 9% beer, so I'm in no shape to go get coolant and ATF.

There's smoke coming out of your wherever.

EDIT: that's my professional diagnose, that'll be 300 bux.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

STR posted:

Kind of the anti-horrible failure, I've been driving it for 2 weeks like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2di83WAOhU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Honestly surprised it's not the head gaskets for once.

I mean, it's a $1600 Subaru, they're likely popped.

fake edit: that "smoke" is from the radiator. it's cracked bad enough that it's dripping out whenever it's running or actually full.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

STR posted:

I mean, it's a $1600 Subaru, they're likely popped.

fake edit: that "smoke" is from the radiator. it's cracked bad enough that it's dripping out whenever it's running or actually full.

I know, but "Dyed Ethylene Glycol Vapor Gets In Your Eyes" just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

.... you win this round.