Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The Comfort and Mercy are being pushed to CA and NY even though they are anything but deployment ready. RRF vessels in SF are all being pushed to be ready for immediate activation even though one is still in its yard period and the Henry is looking at sea trials after her repairs from the fire. The original mission was supposed to be SEA in the fall but now it sounds like they might be contingency planning for coronavirus possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

lightpole posted:

The Comfort and Mercy are being pushed to CA and NY even though they are anything but deployment ready. RRF vessels in SF are all being pushed to be ready for immediate activation even though one is still in its yard period and the Henry is looking at sea trials after her repairs from the fire. The original mission was supposed to be SEA in the fall but now it sounds like they might be contingency planning for coronavirus possibly.

I assume they are going to take non Coronavirus cases onboard to lessen the burden at local hospitals?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I assume they are going to take non Coronavirus cases onboard to lessen the burden at local hospitals?

That's the idea.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

What on Earth are the rest of those ships useful for in a pandemic, oh well better to have them operational I suppose even though the rrf is by nature preposterous. Can't believe they didn't buy the Maersk B class when those were all stacked, the East Coast guys who stacked some of the sealand ships got to see them and said they were nice

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shovelbum posted:

What on Earth are the rest of those ships useful for in a pandemic

Curtailment of air travel might expand to include cargo jets. If that happens, someone has to pick up the slack transporting goods to Hawaii and other places which are dependent on imported food.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I've already made too many assumptions as it is. However

shovelbum posted:

What on Earth are the rest of those ships useful for in a pandemic, oh well better to have them operational I suppose even though the rrf is by nature preposterous. Can't believe they didn't buy the Maersk B class when those were all stacked, the East Coast guys who stacked some of the sealand ships got to see them and said they were nice

The AKRs are shallow draft ro/ros so they have options between converting the holds or dropping boxes on the weather deck. MSC/MARAD doesnt actually have much like them, they can basically load up a brigade of whatever and go.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Curtailment of air travel might expand to include cargo jets. If that happens, someone has to pick up the slack transporting goods to Hawaii and other places which are dependent on imported food.

Hawaii already gets everything from commercial US flagged vessels, primarily Matson, and Pasha to a lesser extent. Air cargo is for expensive/light things.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 22, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

I've already made too many assumptions as it is. However

The AKRs are shallow draft ro/ros so they have options between converting the holds or dropping boxes on the weather deck. MSC/MARAD doesnt actually have much like them, they can basically load up a brigade of whatever and go.

I had only seen their draft in feet so never realized how shallow it was in real numbers, that makes more sense now.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Woops, you're all correct of course, we should obviously pick up the tab for lost parts and have ships force do work that was included in the contract, I must have stroked out there for a minute.

This might blow your 'take my 9mm apart on my watch' mind but it turns out Sailors are mostly loving idiots who actually hardly know their gear and are kept afloat by DoD civilians and contractors. Some of that is because NETC is a tremendous shitshow, some of it is because the CoC is a shitshow.

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is, but is hilarious seeing crew after crew gently caress themselves because some idiot FC2 who went to school for 5 months thinks they know how their system works instead of listening to the loving engineer that designed it and for some reason their also idiot department head takes their case to the CO or Flag level and puts a ton of roadblocks in the way of actual progress.

Basically on a technical level the Navy is turbofucked until big Navy actually wants to spend the time and money to teach Sailors their systems, or they stop promoting jackholes that can't troubleshoot their way out of a condom.

While we're at it stop hiring on the DoD side based on nepotism because I swear to god the next time I hear "AS A FORMER SAILOR"

No I'm doing totally fine in quarantine after a week, why do you all ask?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

This might blow your 'take my 9mm apart on my watch' mind but it turns out Sailors are mostly loving idiots who actually hardly know their gear and are kept afloat by DoD civilians and contractors. Some of that is because NETC is a tremendous shitshow, some of it is because the CoC is a shitshow.

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is, but is hilarious seeing crew after crew gently caress themselves because some idiot FC2 who went to school for 5 months thinks they know how their system works instead of listening to the loving engineer that designed it and for some reason their also idiot department head takes their case to the CO or Flag level and puts a ton of roadblocks in the way of actual progress.

Basically on a technical level the Navy is turbofucked until big Navy actually wants to spend the time and money to teach Sailors their systems, or they stop promoting jackholes that can't troubleshoot their way out of a condom.

While we're at it stop hiring on the DoD side based on nepotism because I swear to god the next time I hear "AS A FORMER SAILOR"

No I'm doing totally fine in quarantine after a week, why do you all ask?

Shipmate, are you ok?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Shipmate, are you ok?

I work with a bunch of 60 year old retired chiefs what do you think?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

I would quit.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
my favorite navy moment was when we got some guy who had been some kind of electronics tech in the navy on a diesel-electric merchant boat and he mangled all our spare parts trying to install them and then asked where the big storeroom (that didnt exist) was and then he basically gave up

looked like a sasquatch too

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

can't troubleshoot their way out of a condom.

I love this one.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

As a former FC2, I cant wait for you to meet some of the now-senior winners weve got coming down the pipe.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

:EndlessScreaming:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'ma need all the contractors out of this thread. This is a ship's force thread, now. Seriously, gently caress you get out I don't care about what your job is or what paygrade equivalent or even how many years of salt crust you have yourself. The coffee is provided for the E-3. He has to do the same cruise as you, but chiefs around him poo poo on every dimension of his quality of life for anything down to and including his haircut and the shine of his shoes, and for $2k a month plus $50 sea pay. You get fat stacks and the idiot bluejackets and chiefs and officers retired or otherwise just kind of annoy you and frustrate your work.

Have your overlords at BAE or Raytheon or whatever war profiteering goblin den you spawned from send you a kcup machine if you need some so bad.

Carry on!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What if I’m both?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My favorite contractor moment is still the chief getting force retired after being caught loving an e4, and 6 weeks later he walks in with a beard and a tool belt.

Godspeed, Chief Houchins, you miserable gently caress.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

US Berder Patrol posted:

I'ma need all the contractors out of this thread. This is a ship's force thread, now. Seriously, gently caress you get out I don't care about what your job is or what paygrade equivalent or even how many years of salt crust you have yourself. The coffee is provided for the E-3. He has to do the same cruise as you, but chiefs around him poo poo on every dimension of his quality of life for anything down to and including his haircut and the shine of his shoes, and for $2k a month plus $50 sea pay. You get fat stacks and the idiot bluejackets and chiefs and officers retired or otherwise just kind of annoy you and frustrate your work.

Have your overlords at BAE or Raytheon or whatever war profiteering goblin den you spawned from send you a kcup machine if you need some so bad.

Carry on!

Civil service, and a current reservist who did 10 years active so gently caress off?

If you only want me to post about the uniformed side I can do that, but don't sit there and pity party me with "oh poor sailor". There are ways ships force can meaningfully work with and get poo poo done with their tech reps, I've seen it, not every crew is a dumpster.

I guess a lot of my frustration is the pipeline and lack of training a lot of sailors get, and how that normally comes down solely to money.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

Carry on!

Quote your sources pls LOL

E: guys I don't think this was a serious post, right?

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 22, 2020

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Can we focus on the really important detail in all of this?

Dudes legit squabbling over ships coffee!!!

Like that shits nasty, you will get a better cup if you have a homeless dude piss in a Starbucks cup outside the main gate.

JFC y'all

BE BETTER

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PneumonicBook posted:

Civil service, and a current reservist who did 10 years active so gently caress off?

If you only want me to post about the uniformed side I can do that, but don't sit there and pity party me with "oh poor sailor". There are ways ships force can meaningfully work with and get poo poo done with their tech reps, I've seen it, not every crew is a dumpster.

I guess a lot of my frustration is the pipeline and lack of training a lot of sailors get, and how that normally comes down solely to money.

My last command was mostly civs doing the harder and more in depth jobs, and not even allowing sailors to learn from them because they had looser allowances on how they could work. But I still had to inspect their poo poo to the same standards. It was fun.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

Quote your sources pls LOL

I mean they ended with 'carry on', but who knows anymore.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

iwentdoodie posted:

My last command was mostly civs doing the harder and more in depth jobs, and not even allowing sailors to learn from them because they had looser allowances on how they could work. But I still had to inspect their poo poo to the same standards. It was fun.

That's unfortunate. I try to teach sailors a dozen different ways to fix stuff with increasing levels of 'only do this if shits real bad, also email me or someone else to get it on paper so you don't get hosed if things go sideways'.

Probably not the best but I'd rather they have something they can do instead of telling their coc 'nothing I can do as per the ISEA'.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How is this supposed to work in like a big rear end war

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
My fave contractor story is the CDO who bragged about yelling at some contractors to get back to work when he snuck into the CPO mess to try to punk them.

CSCS came to the production meeting and sat fuming the entire time until at the end when the company pres dude asked for any more questions. Senior stands up while raising his hand (and had made a point to sit right behind the CDO mind you) not even waiting for old boss man to acknowledge. Told us somebody took a poo poo in the chiefs’ mess and asked who the gently caress gonna clean that up (while looking at the back of the CDOs blushing bald head). I loving had to step out laughing so hard when CHENG straight face asked if there were nuts or corn visible?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shovelbum posted:

Since 1945 in a big rear end war assets just has to last for a few days before everybody dies, so it was never really considered.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Navy would have to find people with the ability/intelligence for this

PneumonicBook posted:

And then create an environment these people want to stick around in. That's going to include offering them greater freedom and less bullshit since what mid level technician puts up with some rear end in a top hat micromanaging them?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

And then create an environment these people want to stick around in. That's going to include offering them greater freedom and less bullshit since what mid level technician puts up with some rear end in a top hat micromanaging them?

Who even has time to micromanage, if I'm micromanaging something isn't getting done. If you don't know your job you should figure it out, quit, or be fired.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

lightpole posted:

They all left.

After I saw some of the best sailors I ever knew get forced out simply because of the year they joined, I was pretty much done. "Well, yes, you're the #1 E6 on board, made MR1 very quickly, and everyone thinks you're amazing, you're the only one who can do a lot of this stuff...but you joined in a bad year, so become an MM or get out."

Yeah, nah.

My old command contacted me two weeks ago (left 2yrs ago) to see if I wanted to come back as a contractor in my old position :v:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Who even has time to micromanage, if I'm micromanaging something isn't getting done. If you don't know your job you should figure it out, quit, or be fired.

Secret to leadership is to create an environment where people feel like they have enough freedom to make a decision without being poo poo on and support just in case they gently caress it up. In a centralized, risk averse environment with a top down structure where promotion is impossible with a black mark on your record, it only makes sense (from a short term perspective) to concentrate decision making/authority/thinking on the few that know what they are doing and avoid the risk of letting people learn on their own. Culture begets culture, &c, &c.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shovelbum posted:

Who even has time to micromanage,

Retired chief contractors.

If anyone tries to micromanage me I pretend to get a phone call from my boss and go work on any of the other tickets I got open. Come back on Friday after lunch.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

shovelbum posted:

The truly scary thing is that every other country on earth is an even more complete bunch of fuckups than we are.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Lou Takki posted:

even I can't tell half the time

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

even I can't tell half the time

Contractors vs Active Duty is such a tired topic that I assumed your post was in jest.

Doesn't matter tho cause FTN

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lou Takki posted:

Contractors vs Active Duty is such a tired topic that I assumed your post was in jest.

Doesn't matter tho cause FTN
Because gently caress you if you're still in and that includes working for the DoD as a civilian/contractor.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ZekeNY posted:

The truly scary thing is that every other country on earth is an even more complete bunch of fuckups than we are.

This is The Truth. I did liaison work with a dozen other Navies back when I was active, and the few ships I was on that were in a better material condition that ours were all near 100% contractor maintained. The sailors knew even less about their systems than ours do. No one else does worldwide deployments, so they don't need to be able to keep a ship afloat and in battle condition for 6+ months without shore support. It is also why everyone else can man the same sized ships we do with a half or a third of the crew. Though, that also has a lot to do with our obsessive watchstanding system and inability to upgrade jack poo poo on 30 year old platforms.

shovelbum posted:

In wartime, maintaining operational capability trumps adherence to standard maintenance procedures. You do what you need to do. That's like the first rule that gets discarded when poo poo really hits the fan.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

We had a bunch of our crew that went over to the Charles De Gaulle and they seemed to like it ok. Their uniforms were at least serviceable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shovelbum posted:

It's not. We're only supposed to fight lovely wars against enemies so far from near-peer that every American death can be its own headline for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In the fleet was there more emphasis on being rah rah Navy and involved in the command and talking big about your last/next command and all the stuff you've done in your rate previously and staying long hours while doing nothing and also being utterly inept at your job or was that just a Seabee thing