Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
This game has so much potential. The hypertubes alone have been a riot. I told my SO about how you can tilt them up to catch some air at the end and add some humor when running around. Then she built a long hypertube down from the boxite mountain and I died testing it because well, I did tell her about angling it up. Although I didn't expect it to be after such a long drop. So then next time we tested out a long run, she tilted the end down thinking it would be safer, which also didn't end well but was loads of laughs.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to min/max four pure nodes with M3 miners and fit a building with four levels and 16x evenly split smelters on each level in a heavily uneven and forested area, the one with the big canopies that you can walk on. So far I've figured out how to fit 12x while doing most of the splitting before it enters the building and it basically took me all day and most of the floor is conveyor belts woven around staggered smelters. I gave up near the end and bused the ingots out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Heh, yes, when I was first setting up hypertubes to some outpost bases I had the two entrances to the two tubes right on a corner of a catwalk and it was easy to accidentally step into them. So I rotated the entrances to point straight down, and I'd want to walk under the entrance to go in. And it worked great, both going in and out of the entrances! I liked the aesthetic of it so I did the same on the other end. But it turns out my base is up on a cliff, so I was already slowed down by the time I reached those entrances. On the other end, I was going much faster...

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Geh! Get outta there you dan gum freaky creature, not even wearing PPE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One got stuck in my storage building and I kept bouncing off him. I kept hitting him to get him to run out but he kept getting stuck so I had to put him down.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The solid waste products can be fed into a shredder if you don't have some other use for them just yet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Am I reading right that aluminum creates waste water? How do folks deal with that? Bottle it and put it into a shredder? Does anything actually consume water at a completely reliable rate?

Is there no way to just, you know, dump this water in the ocean?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Eiba posted:

Am I reading right that aluminum creates waste water? How do folks deal with that? Bottle it and put it into a shredder? Does anything actually consume water at a completely reliable rate?

Earlier in the Aluminum production chain uses water, so I just had it cycle back into the system. It seemed to prioritize getting the waste out rather than taking in fresh pump water, but probably wasn't ideal.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think if the water from the water extractor has a larger rise, the waste water from aluminum production will take priority. There's some interesting things you can do with fluids.

Have anyone tried designing logic gates with the fluids system yet?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

Use it in one of the alternate pure recipes or for Diluted Packaged Fuel.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yea I just pump it back into the primary water feed. Since pumps cycle really fast (continuously?) and extractors cycle slowly (2x a second iirc) they will back up and stand by when the water pipe is full. The demand is never overbalanced by output so it's safe to use permanently, you can hook up a small buffer tank if you really want)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay... do Parachutes not work on experimental? Or on multiplayer? Or at all? I have no idea but every time i use one i hear a FOOMP and then i keep falling at exactly the same speed and die on impact.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the last one immediately disappears. You have to have more than one.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I think the last one immediately disappears. You have to have more than one.

Correct. A stack of 10 is really a stack of 9. They disappear on use, and no longer work if the last one disappears (ie when you use it and need it). It's stupid and obviously broken and probably hasn't been fixed purely by virtue of the fact that nobody really uses them and thus nobody reports the bug

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just unlocked the jetpack and fuel...I'm really sad now because you can't wear the blade runners at same time as jetpack so you gotta choose. Also I keep hearing people say level 4 conveyors plus jetpack lets you boost really far, but I got them and they're pretty slow, so maybe they changed them? drat, still having a ton of fun, and also just discovered arachnophobia mode, which is hilarious.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
You don't need the boots anymore, just boost a little before landing.
I use the highest tear belts + jetpack a lot for travel.
Just run and boost off

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mynameismud posted:

You don't need the boots anymore, just boost a little before landing.
I use the highest tear belts + jetpack a lot for travel.
Just run and boost off

Yah but the move speed sucks with jetpack for running around...I'm such a far way off from getting tier V belts unlocked though...ugh, gotta totally redo my power plant and seriously up production now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Belt 5s and jetpacks are the real bff's, but jetpacks play well with hypertube cannons and jump pads too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I keep my blade runners for generally doing stuff around the base, and put on the jetpack when I need to get up high somewhere.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Wish they had a hang glider or wingsuit, using my smoke stacks as thermals would rule.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I just got to coal power and I'm having trouble understanding distances. The first coal node I set up at is pure and it was also next to a puddle. But a puddle is all it is and I was only able to stick one water extractor which leaves me with extra coal.

Assuming I want to move coal around to where there is water. Am I going to regret using a truck to do this? My hub isnt incredibly far away and is down the hill from a small pond that seems larger than the puddle near the coal node so I should probably suck it up and belt it across but wondering if there's any rules of thumb for when you should be belting, trucking, or piping.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

I just got to coal power and I'm having trouble understanding distances. The first coal node I set up at is pure and it was also next to a puddle. But a puddle is all it is and I was only able to stick one water extractor which leaves me with extra coal.

Assuming I want to move coal around to where there is water. Am I going to regret using a truck to do this? My hub isnt incredibly far away and is down the hill from a small pond that seems larger than the puddle near the coal node so I should probably suck it up and belt it across but wondering if there's any rules of thumb for when you should be belting, trucking, or piping.

I pipe my water pretty far to my original starting area, and conveyor in coal. If you have elevation to deal with just use more pumps. Seems like one water extractor can feed around 6 coal generators if there's enough pressure, and my normal coal node feeds more than that with a mark 2 miner. I still haven't used the truck for anything lol.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

LifeSunDeath posted:

I pipe my water pretty far to my original starting area, and conveyor in coal. If you have elevation to deal with just use more pumps. Seems like one water extractor can feed around 6 coal generators if there's enough pressure, and my normal coal node feeds more than that with a mark 2 miner. I still haven't used the truck for anything lol.

If the coal plants are running at full tilt, one extractor can run 2.5ish coal generators, regardless of pressure; generators use 45/min and extractors produce 120/min.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rule of water extractors: 5 extractors == 2 full pipes == 600 m3 of water.

pre:
EXT   EXT   EXT   EXT   EXT
 |-----+-----+-----+-----|
       |           |
      OUT         OUT
From experience, if you do the math and can provide $LIQUID for 5.99 refineries, then you can only provide for 5, not for 6. In contrast to solid goods, if you have a belt that provides 6.5 machines worth of screws, you can have 7 machines and one of them works a little slow, but not for refineries-- the last one will be idle far more than it should. Either get the math right (300 = 300) or overclock one building to match, rather than have an extra building.

Like coal plants at full tilt use 45 m3, so a single pipe (which caps at 300) can support a chain of 6.67 coals. If you try to run 7, then the last two will work fine right up until they starve each other at the same time and jam everything; you end up with a soft power cap of one coal plant fewer than you built, per line that you make. If, like me, you build 6 lines of 7, then you have a cap of 43 plants of power even though the power display will read 49 plants worth. Thus when your power grid demands power equal to 44, chaos reigns.

If you run 6, your power grid is safe and predictable. If you run 6 with one of them overclocked to 166%, you're still safe. If you run 7, I hate you and drat your factory to jam

THUS! TLDR: A coal power facility should be 5 extractors, 6x2 plants with the final plant in each pipeline either overclocked to 166% or not per choice. Mixing the pipes at the end is a fool's game.

Edit 2: For power plants, it is perfectly fine to use a line of splitters to feed them, as opposed to a balance web. Before you need full power the whole facility will fill, though unevenly, eventually completely and work fine. If supply doesn't meet demand, then a balance web won't help you anyway.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 20, 2020

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I solve all these problems by having a single line of generators out over the ocean and top up with water as necessary.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That's so weird, I have one coal miner mk2 supplying 6 coal generators and my steel plant of 3 machines..and one water pump overclocked...seems to work fine? Also have another setup elsewhere with 7 coal generators supplied off one mk2 miner and 2 water extractors. Seems like I could get maybe 12 coal plants running off one miner? dunno.

Regardless, I'm just gonna keep scaling up to comical levels, screw it, infinite resources rules!

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Unless you are actually drawing full power from a generator it won't consume fuel and water at the full rate, so your power plant might run in to difficulties if demand gets too high.

My go to ratio, which I think I got from the fan wiki, is 240 coal per minute (one MK2 miner on a Pure node) to 16 coal generators and 6 water extractors.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Power generators only generate as much power as they need. If you're running at 50% of your power capacity, then the generators will run at half speed. It's not sufficient to see that the generators are filled and running.

I just build coal generators over the ocean with 2 generators per extractor, because then they line up nicely. I very much recommend downclocking things to make the ratios work for you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is this a known thing? I was out and about at my oil facility and needed to run some pipe to a second fuel generator, but had no copper plating. I found a copper node nearby and started mining it manually. I needed to do something in another window, so I pressed tab to get a mouse cursor. Then my dude kept mining on his own. As long as I had the inventory open, it would mine automatically once I had started. Was nice to grab enough ore to make the pipes while looking at my phone.

Also, is there no way to find crash sites with the scanner anymore?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cojawfee posted:

Is this a known thing? I was out and about at my oil facility and needed to run some pipe to a second fuel generator, but had no copper plating. I found a copper node nearby and started mining it manually. I needed to do something in another window, so I pressed tab to get a mouse cursor. Then my dude kept mining on his own. As long as I had the inventory open, it would mine automatically once I had started. Was nice to grab enough ore to make the pipes while looking at my phone.

Also, is there no way to find crash sites with the scanner anymore?

It's a MAM research. Quartz, I think.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There is a scanner upgrade to search for crash sites. I think it's in the Quartz research tree.

And yeah "automining" is one of the older exploitable bugs, I've seen at least one speedrun use it to keep mining a node while running around doing other stuff.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Been working today on the space elevator phase 3 research...and goddamn what a slog. Thankfully I followed y'alls advice and built a power plant in the ocean, now I have 2.1GW, but the rest of my base is woefully unprepared to build adaptive control units and modular engines on a massive scale...so it's been piecemeal. Oh well, still having a ton of fun with this game.

Think of beauty joy forever

definitely the most organized area of my factory so far.

gently caress these things in particular:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What is with all the belts? One down each side is plenty imo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I had never up till that point used conveyor stacks and wanted to do it big! :D

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
A few pages back someone mentioned what Let's Game it Out would do with hypertubes.

As usual, he didn't disappoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2X3wlvoShg

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
It's great that the very first thing he does with them is launch himself out of bounds.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I heartily recommend his whole series on satisfactory. Though I will say his tornado/cocoon/warhead does show how much they've optimized the game.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I now use hyper tube cannons to get myself back and forth from my oilfield, it works great, but you have to air control to slow down. One day I let it take me wherever I was gonna end up, and ended up nearly out of bounds very far away from home (I have 16 entrances and really didn't try that hard to perfect the output angle)...had to fight a bunch of brutal battles to get home, it kinda sucked actually and I don't feel like doing it again.

Also I finally rode the giant manta thing that flys around, was neat but super disappointed I couldn't kill it, put about 40 rounds into it's head and nothing.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 25, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ahh, I see now, oil is stored in the balls.

Trip report on using a tractor to cart coal to water. It was working great until a one two punch where I somehow unloaded the first two slots of my personal tractor at some point, as well physics happened and sent the autopilot tractor 1.5 km away in uncharted territory when I wasn't looking. Got to imagine these two points were interelated. Production stopped for half an hour while I cleaned garbage out of the belts and set up a new autopilot route, expecting the old tractor to be salavagable at a later date. A+ would tractor again.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

Ahh, I see now, oil is stored in the balls.

Trip report on using a tractor to cart coal to water. It was working great until a one two punch where I somehow unloaded the first two slots of my personal tractor at some point, as well physics happened and sent the autopilot tractor 1.5 km away in uncharted territory when I wasn't looking. Got to imagine these two points were interelated. Production stopped for half an hour while I cleaned garbage out of the belts and set up a new autopilot route, expecting the old tractor to be salavagable at a later date. A+ would tractor again.

Oh drat, I need to mess around with the trucking, I feel like there's no way it would be able to navigate correctly with the janky terrain, probably need perfect foundation paths for it to work right.

That map i posted, the northern dick looking area was my flight path taking the super tube without trying to guide myself...the right most nut is where my oil field is and where I normally fly to with aircontrol. Anyway, 16 hyper tube entrances will move you out of bounds if anyone was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I was skeptical about vehicle pathfinding when I first picked this game up, but provided you've got a wide enough cleared path it is pretty good. Actually recording the route can be pretty loving frustrating, also, and I found that following the autopilot tractor in my own tractor let me get a better idea of how the AI is interpreting the instructions, when the game is actively moving the vehicle around where the player can see, anyway.

Moving large amounts of materials between two remote outposts you rarely visit in person is basically the perfect application for vehicle autopilot, because at least as I understand it the movement is abstracted when there isn't a player present.