Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well good news police scotland finally figured out that compulsory closures could be used until the emergency powers to close pubs gets through:
https://twitter.com/ConnorGillies/status/1241751273113862146

e: and sense of smell/taste? seems to be mostly younger people getting it which is why it wasn't on any of the prior lists which came from hospitalised cases

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

I loved it when the Chancellor said the other day that they had no power to stop companies paying dividends with taxpayer's money, when he just has to make them sign a loan agreement saying "should the company pay or make an accrual for a dividend at any time while this loan is outstanding, the amount shall become immediately due" or something along those lines.

Did he really say that? That's absolutely laughable. You can put any prohibition you like on an investment as long as the company being invested into signs up to it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like why would anyone have taken a picture of that chicken meal? It seems must likely someone deliberately cooked it like that and staged the whole thing to take the piss out of poor uncultured people or whatever the gently caress I dunno?

Not too dissimilar to most every evening meal I had before I left home.

One of my ex girlfriends from high school who is forever single and lives alone is constantly posting pictures on Facebook of the saddest meals ever, apparently proud of her creations. Also the photos/lighting are uniformly terrible too. Some ppl just have no clue

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On the "led everyone die idea", and how it would look.

There are roughly 65 million people in this country. Let's assume that we let corona rip through the country, and 60% of the population catch it. Of those, 3% die. That's 1,170,000 deaths. In comparison, in 2018 540,000 people died over the whole year. The virus, in comparison, would kill twice that number over half the time, while all those other natural deaths are still ongoing. You are quintupling the death rate for the next 6 months, which is not a pretty picture when you think about how society would have that many extra deaths.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Did he really say that? That's absolutely laughable. You can put any prohibition you like on an investment as long as the company being invested into signs up to it.

Whenever a state says "Can't" in something like this they mean "Don't want to" unless it's referring to something outside of their borders, in which case it might be beyond them.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

On the "led everyone die idea", and how it would look.

There are roughly 65 million people in this country. Let's assume that we let corona rip through the country, and 60% of the population catch it. Of those, 3% die. That's 1,170,000 deaths. In comparison, in 2018 540,000 people died over the whole year. The virus, in comparison, would kill twice that number over half the time, while all those other natural deaths are still ongoing. You are quintupling the death rate for the next 6 months, which is not a pretty picture when you think about how society would have that many extra deaths.

Don't do this. The calculation is so crude and not relating to the facts that it's not helpful.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Jose posted:

Abe is a fascist

This is my sister's justification for voting for Biden in the general if hes nominated - mainly Abe is up for reelection next year and hes widely seen as being adept at handling Trump and more likely to get reelected if Trump is also reelected

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
like Biden is loving awful but I don't think you really need a reason to vote for him against Trump

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Julio Cruz posted:

like Biden is loving awful but I don't think you really need a reason to vote for him against Trump

Yeah you do. If you attitude is 'They all suck' then you shouldn't vote.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

Yeah you do. If you attitude is 'They all suck' then you shouldn't vote.

yeah this is a scenario guaranteed to help the Democrats win

like a whole load of Democrat voters not turning out cause they didn't like Hillary is literally the reason Trump's currently running for re-election

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

update on my friends being forced to work in waitrose

official JL/Waitrose guidance doesnt just not provide them with PPE, it bans them from using it lol

key workers should ABSOLUTELY be wearing basic masks at the very least. even the bullshit "no masks dont work lol ignore asia" stuff admits they stop the spread.

no hazard pay or anything, the working class are getting completely hosed

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
All the folk heading obliviously heading off to their second homes in rural areas are crazy selfish and remind me of several US folk in the GBS thread who were saying they would just drive cross country to small towns or motels and wait it out and got shouted out for being those guys in ever apocalyptic virus story/film who spread a trail with them if they're infected.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah this is a scenario guaranteed to help the Democrats win

like a whole load of Democrat voters not turning out cause they didn't like Hillary is literally the reason Trump's currently running for re-election

Who gives a gently caress if the Dems win with Biden or we get Trump again?

This is like saying we should get Tony Blair back in charge of Labour.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Who gives a gently caress if the Dems win with Biden or we get Trump again?

This is like saying we should get Tony Blair back in charge of Labour.

yeah go tell a family of Mexican immigrants that Biden and Trump are just the same actually

Blair is a oval office but if my only choice was between 4 years of him and 4 years of Worse Johnson I know who I'm picking

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well good news police scotland finally figured out that compulsory closures could be used until the emergency powers to close pubs gets through:
https://twitter.com/ConnorGillies/status/1241751273113862146

e: and sense of smell/taste? seems to be mostly younger people getting it which is why it wasn't on any of the prior lists which came from hospitalised cases

I hope these places get looted hard at some point during the closure
also every Spoons

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Communist Thoughts posted:

update on my friends being forced to work in waitrose

official JL/Waitrose guidance doesnt just not provide them with PPE, it bans them from using it lol

key workers should ABSOLUTELY be wearing basic masks at the very least. even the bullshit "no masks dont work lol ignore asia" stuff admits they stop the spread.

no hazard pay or anything, the working class are getting completely hosed

That's complete loving horseshit, they just don't fancy the look of the thing.

Agree that people working in shops and supermarkets especially are getting an incredibly rough time atm and are being completely ignored by the media. It's going to be left to the checkout people to take the brunt of people's anger over the limiting of items and stuff. My mum was in the local Tesco Express in town that closed at 10 for the first time last Thursday instead of 11 as usual. Some bloke threw a tantrum at the door and threatened the manager because they wouldn't let him a couple of minutes past 10 while they were serving the last of ht people inside

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Bobstar posted:

Speaking of, for the after times, can anyone recommend a small tree-like plant that we can put in a pot outside, that isn't too easy to kill?

Get a bay tree, they do well in pots and you can use the leaves in your cooking.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

Don't do this. The calculation is so crude and not relating to the facts that it's not helpful.

you are routinely optimistically wrong about this virus, namesake, i admire your mental resilience

e

Ebola Dog posted:

Get a bay tree, they do well in pots and you can use the leaves in your cooking.

drat this is a good-rear end idea!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

you are routinely optimistically wrong about this virus, namesake, i admire your mental resilience

And you're insanely panicked over it, to the point of saying to somebody weeks ago that their elderly relative 100% has it just because they were already in hospital. Age reflective CFRs from China and Italy for a 60% infection rate and the UK population put casualties at under 1 million, things can go badly wrong here without jamming crude numbers into a calculator and waving it around.

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah go tell a family of Mexican immigrants that Biden and Trump are just the same actually

Blair is a oval office but if my only choice was between 4 years of him and 4 years of Worse Johnson I know who I'm picking

Well looks like you've made an active preference and okay, but 'vote for the lesser evil' ran out of steam in 2010 on both sides of the Atlantic and unless you can make a positive case for a candidate in terms of the real good they will do rather than the depths of evil they might not go then you're backing a loser already.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

Okay then. Biden and Trump both put children in cages, they are both evil pieces of poo poo backed by other evil pieces of poo poo and they mustn't be legitimised with a vote.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not sure if you're a family of Mexican immigrants or not but Biden and Trump are just the same actually

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

Well looks like you've made an active preference and okay, but 'vote for the lesser evil' ran out of steam in 2010 on both sides of the Atlantic and unless you can make a positive case for a candidate in terms of the real good they will do rather than the depths of evil they might not go then you're backing a loser already.

I don't disagree that both candidates suck and the Dems are almost certainly going to get trashed on a platform of "our guy is kinda like Trump but not as bad"

this is why you organise from the ground up so you can eventually get actually good candidates with actual policies to vote for

however in the short-term case of the 2020 election any vote that isn't for Biden is has the same value as a vote for Trump because a two-party election is a zero-sum game

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay then. Biden and Trump both put children in cages, they are both evil pieces of poo poo backed by other evil pieces of poo poo and they mustn't be legitimised with a vote.

are you seriously suggesting that the Trump administration is actually exactly the same as the Obama administration

like for loving real

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Mint and curry plants are also good to put in pots :sun:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Mr Phillby posted:

Love the implication that its only really gotten serious in the past three days, who could have known?????

If you put a chicken cabonara in ramekin with a pastry lid does that count as a pie?

There's no such thing as "chicken carbonara".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Coohoolin posted:

There's no such thing as "chicken carbonara".

I made a chicken carbonara once. It was tasty

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Julio Cruz posted:

The horrible thing is, from the perspective of what has actually happened in America, Trump has not been the worst President. Bush may actually have been worse.

I don't in any way, shape or form mean to diminish the utter horror that Trump has and will inflict on folk in the USA. But he is bad because of what he could do not neccesarily what he has done thus far. I would like to be told otherwise tbh because this line of reasoning makes me uneasy to think about.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just made carbonara, but I'm not saying if there was chicken in it

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I just made carbonara, but I'm not saying if there was chicken in it

You absolute monster

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
281 deaths, up 47 on yesterday.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't disagree that both candidates suck and the Dems are almost certainly going to get trashed on a platform of "our guy is kinda like Trump but not as bad"

this is why you organise from the ground up so you can eventually get actually good candidates with actual policies to vote for

however in the short-term case of the 2020 election any vote that isn't for Biden is has the same value as a vote for Trump because a two-party election is a zero-sum game

Politics is an on going process of struggle both in terms of class struggle but also within any organisation you belong to or identify with as ideas emerge, develop and compete for supremacy. Accepting that the political structures you live under have offered you no good choices is more than enough reason to refuse to participate within their structures, and openly surrendering your independence and freedom not to vote is exactly like surrending your freedom to strike within a workplace, it leaves you with nothing to bargain with.

In reality what happens without a positive message being core to a campaign is that people do just stop voting but without even making a political argument about it and simply become inactive politically, which is the worst outcome as re-politicising them with good candidates becomes extremely hard.

To bring this back to the UK, what exactly will Starmer do as head of Labour? Provide 'unity' by squashing contentious debates and rolling back the platform to maybe somewhere around the 2017 one? Meanwhile all the activists and campaigners which cared enough to get out there for a necessary industrial program around climate change prevention and freedom of movement... just leave? Pretend that not enough is now good enough? That's not how a winning party is made and it's obviously going to end in defeat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ebola Dog posted:

I've also got a thing about putting bay leaves in a cup of boiling water and inhaling the steam if I have a chesty cold. No idea it would help with the virus though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fridge corn posted:

One of my ex girlfriends from high school who is forever single and lives alone is constantly posting pictures on Facebook of the saddest meals ever, apparently proud of her creations. Also the photos/lighting are uniformly terrible too. Some ppl just have no clue

You can't say this and not post the pictures

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

can someone repost the details for the UKMT solidarity fund? wanna throw some money at it and probably good to remind people it exists.

i've been thinking a lot about the food situation. I think whats worrying is the gov is basically saying "lol toilet paper is plentiful and we make it all here, it wont run out" and yet its not getting on shelves, suggesting a problem with the supply chain of a basic thing that we are meant to have plenty of.
we don't make the majority of our own food so how is that supposed to make it to the shelves on time?

i think another thing thats annoying me is the "panic buying" thing just foisting that responsibility onto the people off the government, same with the masks shortages and lack of obedience to government requests.
some of it is panic buying, but some of it is stockpiling and stockpiling is a good idea and socially responsible. the ideal way we stop the spread is by everyone staying at home for as long as possible without going near other people, that requires people to have stores of supplies to live off of during that time.
its a huge failure that people aren't able to buy a loving bog roll let alone stockpile the essentials they're gonna need if they're quarantined for 2 weeks (not to mention 2 weeks isn't long enough, median viral shed takes 3 weeks, up to 4)

namesake posted:

And you're insanely panicked over it, to the point of saying to somebody weeks ago that their elderly relative 100% has it just because they were already in hospital. Age reflective CFRs from China and Italy for a 60% infection rate and the UK population put casualties at under 1 million, things can go badly wrong here without jamming crude numbers into a calculator and waving it around.

at the time and probably still now the hospital is the most likely place you will catch covid, thats not really controversial.
I'm not "insanely panicked", i got over my insane panic in february, its just been clear since then that the UK response is bullshit, its irrational to believe any of it.
i don't know how many will die but its quite likely to be worse than italy. the napkin calculators turned out to be right over the herd immunity poo poo.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Josef bugman posted:

The horrible thing is, from the perspective of what has actually happened in America, Trump has not been the worst President. Bush may actually have been worse.

I don't in any way, shape or form mean to diminish the utter horror that Trump has and will inflict on folk in the USA. But he is bad because of what he could do not neccesarily what he has done thus far. I would like to be told otherwise tbh because this line of reasoning makes me uneasy to think about.

Yeah I've been thinking this for a while. Was expecting things to be a lot worse under Trump. Not that things aren't bad, or that he isn't a colossal piece of poo poo. Mostly it's just an extension of the way things have been sliding for the last 40 years, including under previous Dems.

And no, I don't think a Biden presidency will be meaningfully different. If Biden gets in it will be a vindication of what the Dem party have been trying to do, for no meaningful change. I guess it's a bit of an accelerationist argument which I'm not generally fond of but I don't think Biden will actually make any meaningful positive changes if he does get in anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julio Cruz posted:

consdiering obama was rightly known as the deporter in chief and also mass locking up migrant families and letting ICE do whatever and biden will be exactly the same....

biden is dead anyway lolo this was his last publoic appearance

https://twitter.com/Roll_On_Radio/status/1241686569150545921?s=20

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 22, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

Politics is an on going process of struggle both in terms of class struggle but also within any organisation you belong to or identify with as ideas emerge, develop and compete for supremacy. Accepting that the political structures you live under have offered you no good choices is more than enough reason to refuse to participate within their structures, and openly surrendering your independence and freedom not to vote is exactly like surrending your freedom to strike within a workplace, it leaves you with nothing to bargain with.

In reality what happens without a positive message being core to a campaign is that people do just stop voting but without even making a political argument about it and simply become inactive politically, which is the worst outcome as re-politicising them with good candidates becomes extremely hard.

To bring this back to the UK, what exactly will Starmer do as head of Labour? Provide 'unity' by squashing contentious debates and rolling back the platform to maybe somewhere around the 2017 one? Meanwhile all the activists and campaigners which cared enough to get out there for a necessary industrial program around climate change prevention and freedom of movement... just leave? Pretend that not enough is now good enough? That's not how a winning party is made and it's obviously going to end in defeat.

how exactly does refusing to vote for a Starmer-led Labour party move us any closer to socialism

because in the short-term it's just enabling more Tory austerity and in the longer-term whoever comes next after Starmer is going to look at the absolute thrashing he gets and just tack further right in an attempt to chase the votes

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

bush was definitely worse. there's argument over whether obama was better or worse than trump.
i think libya and the intentional capture of the country by finance after 2008 could tip obama over the edge.

now biden, biden is arguably to the right of trump

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

are you seriously suggesting that the Trump administration is actually exactly the same as the Obama administration

like for loving real

He seems like a perfectly logical follow on from the obama administration as it was from the bush administration, in much the same way you get thatcher > blair > cameron. And biden would be a perfect follow on from trump too, given his role in the obama administration.

Like you can draw a trend line straight through them. Most of the stuff the democrats complain at trump for they absolutely supported during obama and clinton.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Today I made a raised bed out of some old shelves with my five year old and we called it a Mother's Day present. Also made a bug hotel with offcuts and some old roof slate. And made brownies. And pancakes. And went up the allotment to pick some flowers.

Isolation's not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You can't say this and not post the pictures