Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

I've never been in a thread while a gangtag was happening, I feel so left out

Wasn't there a period of time where you had to manually give them to yourself because mods couldn't do it without erasing your avatar? I know I had to do that once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I am going for efficiency on my island, is there a reason to have some trees that don't grow fruit over those that do? In New Leaf the answer was no, but now that trees give craftable materials, I am wondering if it's different this time?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Walmart does curbside drop off for US goons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

While it's never bad to be a bit concerned, it's worth keeping in mind that the at risk group has always included younger people, because of obesity or weak immune systems.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And that's all I'm gonna say or think about corona today. I have to work today and all week, around people. I'm at the point where there's nothing to be gained by stressing out any more, and I think most people are at that point now. If anything, more stress is bad because high blood pressure puts you at risk.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hello fellow longavs boy does it feel good to be a longav

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kerrzhe posted:

gently caress marauders though jesus christ

same

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Re: Marauders. They're pretty annoying to deal with and in my first fight I died about 5-6 times until I stopped looking for the green eyes flash and just went by sound. Humans as a species are way better at reacting to audio cues than visual and that made him pretty easy when I was no longer straining to see that split second of green.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My issue isn't the response time it's the fact that you have to stay in a very narrow band of medium distance that has no marker and one step too close or too far and it fucks you up. Also that kind of play pattern means you're constantly moving backwards so if the arena has any sort of geometry you're going to back into it without even realizing and get owned while you're stuck, wondering why your s key isn't working.

Doom Eternal is at it's most fun, for me at least, when I'm constantly disengaging and re-engaging, using my mobility to flit around the arena. Marauders just demand a playstyle that makes it impossible to play the game in the way that I find fun

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

forums poster Jack Trades has posted his solution for marauders over in the doom eternal thread:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also every fight that contains a marauder ends the exact same way because it's impossible to fight marauders while anything else is alive. So you just run away from the marauder fighting other things for a while (which, admittedly, is fun), and then do the exact same boss fight you've done multiple times already once it's the last one left

Cowcaster posted:

forums poster Jack Trades has posted his solution for marauders over in the doom eternal thread:

is the weapon switching there required? I'm not sure I'll ever pull that off just because I fatfinger the higher numbers every time and just use the weapon wheel to compensate, but it looks super satisfying

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the marauders honestly sound so lovely and unfun that i may skip the game entirely

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Also every fight that contains a marauder ends the exact same way because it's impossible to fight marauders while anything else is alive. So you just run away from the marauder fighting other things for a while (which, admittedly, is fun), and then do the exact same boss fight you've done multiple times already once it's the last one left

is the weapon switching there required? I'm not sure I'll ever pull that off just because I fatfinger the higher numbers every time and just use the weapon wheel to compensate, but it looks super satisfying

i'd assume it is but q should be a quickswap to your last weapon button so just pulling out the ballista followed by the supershotgun should have you ready to go, no fumbling for number keys required

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Weedle posted:

the marauders honestly sound so lovely and unfun that i may skip the game entirely

there's only like five of them total in the whole game. It's a tiny percentage of the playtime, and despite my bellyaching, thy aren't that bad.. I fully agree with the sentiment:

Kerrzhe posted:

i have beaten doom, and doom is good

gently caress marauders though jesus christ

doom good, marauders bad, doom mostly not marauders

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Weedle posted:

nah they're not so bad that they ruin the game or anything. they're just the toughest enemy out of all of them.

cheetah7071 posted:

i think the super shotgun and ballista are next to each other in the scroll wheel order? so you can just scroll up and down. you'd need the faster weapon swap praetor suit upgrade though for sure.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I saw some people complaining that they spent a long time getting chased by the Marauder's dog, and I just want to make sure people realize that they can just shoot the dog and it goes away. I initially thought it was like a projectile I had to avoid, but you can just shoot it. Honestly the Marauder did not present a huge problem for me, and when I saw one come up in a regular fight (can't remember if it was a Slayer Gate or what) it ended up dying without me realizing it somehow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The trick is apparently that if you dodge the long-range sword bolt attack, they will always run up for a counterable slash. The problem is doing it with any other non-trash enemies around.

Kerrzhe posted:

nah they're not so bad that they ruin the game or anything. they're just the toughest enemy out of all of them.

Nah they’re real bad. Unlike the other enemies you cannot improvise or use half measures to wear them down. Either you do the exact midrange dance needed or you didn’t do anything. No other enemy works like that, they’re like a bad design that escaped from a brawler. You can’t even kill them with the panic button superweapons.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 22, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Remote rockets seem good for faltering Marauders. Grenades/sticky bombs at their feet too, although they can dodge those.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While I'm picking nits with a good game, pinkies had their turn speed buffed since doom 2016 and I wish it wasn't. An enemy you have to get behind shouldn't have a lightning fast turn speed

Fortunately they die in one hit to a blood punch. Unlike marauders, you can defeat them without going after their primary weakness

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Double jump over them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hwurmp posted:

Double jump over them.

I do that and then land and by the time I turn to face it, it turned too

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

cheetah7071 posted:

While I'm picking nits with a good game, pinkies had their turn speed buffed since doom 2016 and I wish it wasn't. An enemy you have to get behind shouldn't have a lightning fast turn speed

Fortunately they die in one hit to a blood punch. Unlike marauders, you can defeat them without going after their primary weakness
I find the freeze grenade is great for dealing with pinkies. Just freeze them while jumping over them and pump their tail full of plasma or bullets.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i find side dashing more effective than double jumping over them but yeah freeze grenade is way easier than both

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I said come in! posted:

If I am going for efficiency on my island, is there a reason to have some trees that don't grow fruit over those that do? In New Leaf the answer was no, but now that trees give craftable materials, I am wondering if it's different this time?

From the little bit of the game I've seen, fruit trees give wood like a normal tree, so that's probably fine to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just found out the Pilot in Enter/Exit the Gungeon is supposed to be NB. That's really cool :)

But why does the Switch version tutorial tell you to use the face buttons instead of triggers to jump and dodge roll? :psyduck:

I'm sure plenty of players figure it out, but I'm also sure there are a lot of people who bought it and are getting absolutely murdered because it's pretty close to impossible to be really good if you have to choose between "aiming" and "being ready to dodge".

Like yeah, aiming while dodging or jumping is useless, but it's very much not useless to always have the option of dodging at all times because it's a bullet hell game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

more small avs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I do that and then land and by the time I turn to face it, it turned too

Use Chrono Strike so you can shoot its butt from above.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

My friends don't play video games. One reason I haven't gamed for so long. Maybe they'll start because they'll get bored as poo poo though. What are some good single player PS4 games? Or multiplayer games that are fun to play with random people.

Also, I'm wondering what an FPS like Doom is going to be like with a game controller. I'm used to playing FPSs on a computer, with only a few exceptions a long time ago. Goldeneye on N64 was always kind of janky in comparison with the thumbstick. I remember Halo doing better, but both of them were kind of slowed down, it seemed, than PC FPSs, to compensate for the inaccuracy of thumbsticks. Have they fixed that or is it just kind of how it is?

Its just how it is, a mouse is inherently more accurate and faster to aim with than a thumbstick. Halo indeed works better but also does indeed do it by changing player speeds, movement speeds, TTK, and adding tons of bullet magnetism.

You can play shooters like Doom 64 on N64 and have a good time, but I would seriously just get the new Steam release and play it with mouse and keyboard if you can, you'll have a better time.

Some people like using controllers since you can lay back in a couch instead of hunkering over a desk, but M&KB is the superior input method for FPS controls. (Note third person action games are the opposite, where its more important to have additional analog axis rather than having a single very accurate mouse input)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Weedle posted:

The thing is they're kinda like a boss in that they have very specific moves and patterns and you're meant to engage with them in a couple specific ways, and if you don't you're gonna have a bad time.

Its possible to literally kill a marauder in 10 seconds using only the SSG and just firing 8 times. Green eyes, boom, boom, green eyes, boom boom.

The problem is lots of people don't realize its possible to get it into that easy rhythm and so they keep trying to force square pegs into round holes.

cheetah7071 posted:

Doom Eternal is at it's most fun, for me at least, when I'm constantly disengaging and re-engaging, using my mobility to flit around the arena. Marauders just demand a playstyle that makes it impossible to play the game in the way that I find fun

This is a totally fair complaint though

I would say the same about 2016's bosses though, designing FPS bosses is really, really hard. But then maybe they shouldn't try, and instead should stick to the "you have to kill 4 big demons while 200 mooks fill the area" fights which work so so much better.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I don't feel well :(

I dropped a bottle of Bailey's off for my mom at her doorstep and talked to her from the end of her driveway behind my car door because we're so scared about her possibly getting the CV. She's 70 and blind and she's been crying because she won't get to have me around physically to help and she says it's like listening to someone on the radio rather than having a person around

I'm pretty sure I just have a cold but man oh man does this suck

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Songbearer posted:

I don't feel well :(

I dropped a bottle of Bailey's off for my mom at her doorstep and talked to her from the end of her driveway behind my car door because we're so scared about her possibly getting the CV. She's 70 and blind and she's been crying because she won't get to have me around physically to help and she says it's like listening to someone on the radio rather than having a person around

I'm pretty sure I just have a cold but man oh man does this suck

you ruined my day

hope the cold passes quickly and your mom's alright

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm playing the original Zelda for the first time and is it just me or is it extremely difficult

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I'm playing the original Zelda for the first time and is it just me or is it extremely difficult

No it super is, but back in that era most games were "NES Hard"

A lot of them were intentionally difficult to pad the content so you couldn't beat it all in a day

Zelda 1 is a great game for its time but its pretty dang tough for kids

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well this is hosed up

https://twitter.com/rankandfileca/status/1241796401115172865

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

it's hard as heck, especially until you get a few more heart containers

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i'm having a great time with doom eternal, though i do think the marauder ends up being kind of a buzzkill even if it's not that hard in the end

i find it interesting that elsewhere online i've seen increasing criticism that amounts to 'i don't want to play this game the way it was designed to be played.' which if you don't like it, cool, but it ties into my pet theory, for which i have no hard evidence, that gamers are largely comprised of gormless dorks who couldn't adapt without several youtube guides instructing them on what to do

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:twisted: but enough about people wanting easy mode in sekiro :twisted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

my pet theory, for which i have no hard evidence, that gamers are largely comprised of gormless dorks

you'll be hearing from my lawyers, plagiarist

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I'll start by saying that if you named your character "Zelda" you accidentally fast-tracked your way to the 2nd quest and should make a new character with any other name.

It's definitely rough to get started especially if you're not familiar with the game. The game gets a lot easier once you've managed to get some basic equipment like a better sword and the boomerang. Here is the condition to getting the White Sword since the game doesn't make this clear at all when you find it. You need to have found at least three heart containers and have a total life meter of six hearts.

There are hidden stashes of money that require either burning a specific tree or bombing a specific wall (those brown-style ones, and the entrance is always "up").

The boomerang is pretty easy to get and will stun most enemies when you hit them with it (makes them stop moving for a few seconds, you can walk through them without taking damage or just wail on them).

I'm fairly sure if you clear all the main dungeons in order and properly clear them, you never have to buy any keys and can't get "stuck" having to buy any. I think you might in the second quest eventually, not 100% on that.
You are required to purchase arrows for 80 rupees to be able to use the bow (which you find at one point in the game). Firing arrows costs 1 rupee for each shot.
If you ever find a secret giving you the choice of a red potion or a heart container, always take the heart container. You can buy red potions, you can't buy heart containers and if you ever take the red potion you'll lock yourself off from having max hearts.
The blue candle can only be purchased, and I'm fairly sure is required. If you don't know the game, definitely treat it as such.
"Food" and the Magic Shield are available in two different types of shops with two different price tags. Cheapest food is 60 rupees, cheapest magic shield is 90 rupees.
The blue ring will halve the damage you receive. It is only available for purchase, and only in one shop. And it costs 250 rupees when the max is 255, so that's fun.
Any hints you are told kind of work and are more or less properly translated (at least translated properly enough), but they are extremely cryptic.

If you play the "special edition" on Switch where you're pre-geared, it's basically Link with everything you can possibly get without ever setting foot in a dungeon.

Here are some more advanced spoilers:

Location of first dungeon: From start screen, go east, then north until you see a long bridge, and cross this bridge.
Boomerang location: In the first dungeon, first room on the right, clear all enemies.
Blue ring shop location: From starting location, go north one screen, then west I think three screens, then north along that coast until you reach the end, where there are six statues huddled together. Touch the middle one in the top row (it's an enemy you wake up and will run around randomly so be ready), it will reveal stairs to the shop
White sword location: Keep going North past the bridge to the first dungeon until you can't anymore. Go West one screen, North one screen, then keep going east along the river until you get to a waterfall. Climb the stairs next to the waterfall. Note there's a Lynel outside the cave and it hits very hard.
Some big money drop locations (100 rupees each), don't get these if you have more than 155 rupees or you'll hit 255 and lose whatever is left over. Each is individually spoiled and after the first one I'll just say what screen it's on.
Location 1: Make your way to the northeasternmost part of the map you can, will have a tree with an entrance. Behind this tree slightly to the right, there is a false wall (you can walk right through it) to get to the actual northeastern part of the map. This is the only false wall on the overworld or anywhere in the first quest.
Location 2: From start screen, north 1, west 5
Location 3: From start screen, north 1, east 4
Heart container locations you can get without getting any dungeon items
Location 1: From start screen, east 4.
Location 2: From start screen, north 3. You'll have to go around to get there.
Location 3: From the bridge to the first dungeon, north 1, east 4

This stuff gives you a baseline to work from and makes the game more tolerable.

Should you ever brave the second quest, it is a right bastard in terms of introducing new mechanics and never explaining them.

New mechanic 1: Dungeons can have false walls. You have to push on them for about a second to phase through them. They can be one-way.
New mechanic 2: There are blue and red solid color bubble enemies (not the sparkly kind, actually a solid color). If you touch a blue one, you will persistently lose your sword ability, which can be recovered via death, drinking a red potion, seeing a fairy on the overworld, or touching a red bubble (which otherwise does nothing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Leave my Animal Crossing bubble to go outside for a smoke and as soon as I light it, someone is walking by frantically and asks to bum a cigarette and I manage that without touching. I don't like to speculate what kind of high people are but it wasn't a chill one. Anyway, she asked to take all of my cigarette butts for her friend's charity. I just get this feeling I got a glimpse of my own future and I need to find someone to fence cigarette butts to.