Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had an iPad 3 that was seeing daily use until a few weeks ago.
The best iPad is the iPad you have as long as it functions.

Well, you're not wrong, but there definitely devices that just so happen to come out at the sweet spot of technology and support lifetime (Air2) and those that don't (iPad3.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

~Coxy posted:

Well, you're not wrong, but there definitely devices that just so happen to come out at the sweet spot of technology and support lifetime (Air2) and those that don't (iPad3.)

MacBook Air pre-2011 vs post-2011

retina MacBook Pro 2012 vs 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ok Comboomer posted:

? the rMBP 2012 was/is great. Still my only notebook.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The mouse support in 13.4 largely feels good but scrolling is just broken on my Logitech M720, which is inconvenient.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

We have a pre-2011 and it's still in great condition.. battery is great, screen is immaculate, but the computer part itself is loving useless and it pains me. There's nothing it does well except stream Netflix.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

We have a pre-2011 and it's still in great condition.. battery is great, screen is immaculate, but the computer part itself is loving useless and it pains me. There's nothing it does well except stream Netflix.

I replaced the battery in my 2010 11-inch and installed a lightweight linux distro. Good little bed/kitchen PC.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

tuyop posted:

I recommend continuing to use the same iPad that’s still working for you, fellow Air 2 user.

Yeah, if you break the screen, the battery craps out, or you really want the pencil or USB-C port, it’s probably worth it to upgrade. Otherwise, it’s still a decent enough device.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

tuyop posted:

I recommend continuing to use the same iPad that’s still working for you, fellow Air 2 user.
I'd only change my iPad for the form factor. My Air 2 is great, but a Mini would be nice. But you can't even Qi charge an iPad yet, and Apple is going to releas another Pencil to break compatibility every two years anyway, so why bother. Pay for a battery replacement every three years and save money.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ufarn posted:

Apple is going to releas another Pencil to break compatibility every two years anyway, so why bother

Apple does a lot of things i hate but this is kind of a dumb attitude; the 2nd gen pencil corrected some glaring errors with the first

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Apple does a lot of things i hate but this is kind of a dumb attitude; the 2nd gen pencil corrected some glaring errors with the first

Errors so glaring you wondered how they got into the product in the first place.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I know they'd never do it but it would be nice if they updated the recent Airs to allow the newer pencil. If it supports 3rd party inductive charging just use one of those to keep it charged.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

I know they'd never do it but it would be nice if they updated the recent Airs to allow the newer pencil. If it supports 3rd party inductive charging just use one of those to keep it charged.

From what I understand it’s not just the charging- there’s a different sensory layer on the fancier Pencil 2-using iPad displays vs the less pricey models.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh well, dang.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Errors so glaring you wondered how they got into the product in the first place.

Whoda thunk a first-gen Apple product could be full of flaws.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mediaphage posted:

It’s a minor issue but taking off the cap and putting it somewhere I won’t lose it so I can protect the lightning port sticking out of the thing is ugh.

Having the whole thing snap to the iPad so I can charge both things and keep them together is :discourse:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

It’s a minor issue but taking off the cap and putting it somewhere I won’t lose it so I can protect the lightning port sticking out of the thing is ugh.

Having the whole thing snap to the iPad so I can charge both things and keep them together is :discourse:

They loving *nailed the sensory satisfaction of clicc’ing the cap back onto the pencil tho. It’s like fooling around with MagSafe (which you should never ever do) but exponentially better.

The little details that only Apple really knows how to get right. :P

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’ll give you that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yeah I’ll give you that.

The design team got so caught up patting each other on the back over the tactile response that they forgot all of the parts that they clearly didn’t finish

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I've realized that the iPad I actually want is a Pro that I can fit into a large pocket like a Mini, so I suspect I'll be waiting until they have foldables and I'm sure that'll be a long, long time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ufarn posted:

I'd only change my iPad for the form factor. My Air 2 is great, but a Mini would be nice. But you can't even Qi charge an iPad yet, and Apple is going to releas another Pencil to break compatibility every two years anyway, so why bother. Pay for a battery replacement every three years and save money.
How many hours would it take to charge a big iPad over Qi?

Roadie posted:

I've realized that the iPad I actually want is a Pro that I can fit into a large pocket like a Mini, so I suspect I'll be waiting until they have foldables and I'm sure that'll be a long, long time.
Hopefully at some point the iPad Pro design becomes the standard so the iPad mini gets it eventually that way...although at the pace the mini is updated it'll be like 2-4 years for that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wednesday can’t get here soon enough.

In other mess, I have a Logitech Rugged Folio for an iPad 7th gen (with an iPad 7th gen in it). It hasn’t been working for a while. Logitech support, who I have been dealing with for a while, won’t RMA the clearly defective unit, claiming it is an iPad OS issue.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do here? My kid needs it for stay at home school during quarantine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I wonder if Tim had some deathbed promise with Steve to not gently caress with the iPad’s “essence” for ten years. Now that ten years are over and the iPad hasn’t had a flawless run of success Tim’s like “ok cool. Time to make this loving thing a laptop”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know whether the new iPads are shipping from China or NA? Delivery day of 25th implies some a whole heck of overnight delivery if my status stays at "Preparing to Ship" for a better part of a day.

It's Monday morning though so I'll wait a bit before I get antsy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Anyone know whether the new iPads are shipping from China or NA? Delivery day of 25th implies some a whole heck of overnight delivery if my status stays at "Preparing to Ship" for a better part of a day.

Factories in China, including some of Apples, re opened. So there will def be some unknown, but production is going on in some capacity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Factories in China, including some of Apples, re opened. So there will def be some unknown, but production is going on in some capacity.

Well I mean Apple announced the iPads in the midst of this so they likely know their delivery date is at least not contingent on factories. I'm less worried about availability of the device from the factory and the transport chain w/r/t customs inspections etc. I've had some terrible luck getting Apple devices delivered from China back when I ordered my 2015 MBP and back, but I haven't bought anything outside of the fruit store in years so I'm not sure if they've streamlined that chain or not.

Bottom line, in today's climate I'm just trying to decide whether to get my hopes up for a fun gadget gift on my door on Wednesday or whether I should be pessimistic :unsmith:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
My iPad shipped from Chengdu, China.

Not a oh my iPad shipped thing. Just answering the other goons question.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Martytoof posted:

It's probably coming from China and shipped days ago. Apple doesn't show it as shipped until the last day or two for whatever reason. You can go to https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_US, click on Track By Reference Number, and put in your phone number or order number in the Shipment Reference box.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interesting, thank you! Looks like mine departed Anchorage this morning, originating from China.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I wanted to transfer some PDFs to the Book app on my iPad Mini 4 and as far as I can tell, there is no way to do it from iCloud? If I download .epub from Files it's just added automatically to Books library and opened there. If I open PDF it's just opened in some preview window and there is no way to copy it to Books. Am I missing something?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I wanted to transfer some PDFs to the Book app on my iPad Mini 4 and as far as I can tell, there is no way to do it from iCloud? If I download .epub from Files it's just added automatically to Books library and opened there. If I open PDF it's just opened in some preview window and there is no way to copy it to Books. Am I missing something?

While in Files, use the share menu and choose “Open in Books”, then once the PDF is open in the Books app open the share menu again and choose “Copy to Books”.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ijyt posted:

While in Files, use the share menu and choose “Open in Books”, then once the PDF is open in the Books app open the share menu again and choose “Copy to Books”.

Thank you, finally! But the workflow is seriously :psyduck: Why can't I upload the books directly into the iCloud Book folder? :iiam:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Thank you, finally! But the workflow is seriously :psyduck: Why can't I upload the books directly into the iCloud Book folder? :iiam:

Not saying that their workflows aren't still messed up, but this is probably an artifact of past siloing everything to prevent apps from accessing each other's spaces

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
So I've never had an Apple product in my life and could use a larger tablet (I use a 7" Amazon tablet at home). Work is buying.

I'm looking at iPad vs Air vs Pro. Is one them in a current sweet spot?

I don't anticipate doing anything wild with any of them and don't anticipate needing to use a keyboard. The most strenuous thing this is likely to be doing is reading PDFs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

So I've never had an Apple product in my life and could use a larger tablet (I use a 7" Amazon tablet at home). Work is buying.

I don't anticipate doing anything wild with any of them and don't anticipate needing to use a keyboard. The most strenuous thing this is likely to be doing is reading PDFs.

If work is buying get a Pro. If work isn't paying attention to expense reports get a 12.9". But if there is a limited budget, the Air will do everything you need.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

If work is buying get a Pro. If work isn't paying attention to expense reports get a 12.9". But if there is a limited budget, the Air will do everything you need.

Agree with all of this. If you don't mind the size the 13-inch is great as the screen is basically like an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Non-Pro ipads use a lightning cable. That may be a consideration if you have no other Apple products.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Non-Pro ipads use a lightning cable. That may be a consideration if you have no other Apple products.

I admit this is a consideration but it should honestly be the literal bottom of the list compared to its other features

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Adding to what people are saying- if work is buying and not watching the bottom line too badly get a Pro and definitely get a Pencil 2 and the hot new keyboard case that just got announced, Jesus it’s like the Pro’s killer feature.

If all of that is too rich an iPad/iPad Mini/iPad Air will do you fine with a Pencil 1 or a Pro will do you very well with a Pencil 2. But if you’re going to go for the premium model I think it’s kinda worth seeing all of its party tricks.

All of the iPads have pencil support and trackpad/mouse/keyboard support but only the current and previous Pros can work with the fancy new floaty trackpad case. Logitech has its own official less expensive version for the Air (and I think regular iPad) too, but it’s more of a traditional Logitech wraparound case without the magnetic floaty biz.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Sounds like pro wins hands down. Thanks for all the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I wasn't really considering video editing when I decided on the 128 base Pro. Now I wish I'd gone with something slightly higher, but not enough regret to return and re-order. I can always supplement with a USB-C SSD for offloading videos/footage, right?

To be fair, I don't expect to do a lot of editing, but once travel comes back in vogue I'd love to relax after a long day on my feet by assembling the day's footage.

e: Also, will the Pencil2 auto-pair with whatever you mag-attach it to, or do I need to unpair it from my 2018 Pro first?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 24, 2020