Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Papes posted:

Is there any reason to keep the non fruit trees around other than aesthetics?

Acorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i imagine it works just as well to plop a big piece of furniture behind you if you're having trouble positioning the holes right.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

the trick is to wear big sunglasses so that nobody can tell when you've been brutalized by wasps

:hai:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Papes posted:

Is there any reason to keep the non fruit trees around other than aesthetics?

The regular trees can drop furniture

And wasps!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

...wait, if you leave just one regular tree on the island, is that gonna be the guaranteed daily furniture tree? :getin:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ruffian Price posted:

...wait, if you leave just one regular tree on the island, is that gonna be the guaranteed daily furniture tree? :getin:

I never thought of trying this but holy poo poo if true

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
is it just me or are wasps like, super common now

I remember GCN animal crossing I'd get stung like, once a week? They were rare enough to make me go "oh poo poo"
Granted, now you have to whack trees a lot more, but I've routinely been chased by them multiple times a day

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

There are two daily furniture trees I believe

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The fact wasps can't be evaded is annoying as poo poo, I spend 99% of my time running around with a swollen eye because there's no point in using medicine since I'm just gonna get stung again.

Unless you're lucky enough to have your net out (and I'm usually cutting down trees for wood on the random islands so, I don't) you're hosed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LizzieBorden posted:

My gate is open and I've got a meteor shower.

That was fun but also interesting to note you had the same exact island layout as mine, down to native fruit! I wonder what total number of starting islan options there are, I thought it was procedural before. It'll be cool to see how different folks use the same islands differently

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So my husband and I figured out that if you're sitting on a couch next to each other, and you try to move left or right to occupy the other person's space, you make a little animation that looks like a surprised fart.

We of course used the opportunity to have a romantic lamp-lit moment.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

Does anybody know the requirements to upgrade Nook's Cranny?

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Khanstant posted:

That was fun but also interesting to note you had the same exact island layout as mine, down to native fruit! I wonder what total number of starting islan options there are, I thought it was procedural before. It'll be cool to see how different folks use the same islands differently

I love the drawing you left me.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Anyone have an island I can come visit?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Jeff's into it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Wasp Trick is to go around and shake every tree on the island with your net out, ready to catch them.

THEN go around and chop them for wood.

Note: this is less effective if you don't have infinite time and patience

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wasp also never drop from fruit trees unless they changed it for New Horizons.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I uh accidentally ate my turnips trying to storage them lol will that turnip lady come back?

also, for bridges.. do we know when we can craft them freely? I could only build one to start.. also, will they be able to go over not perfectly aligned/slightly angled river banks or do they all have to be done with the same peramiters as the first one you get? (I assume the latter but I have a river bank that wouldn't be able to have a bridge if so..)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

Yeah I'm in England so it's the right time for them. Only til 9pm? That's annoying. My town only has a tiny bit of hilltop river.

Can confirm stringfish are til 9 am. Almost didn't go for that big shadow in the river, good thing I did

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DuhSal posted:

I uh accidentally ate my turnips trying to storage them lol will that turnip lady come back?

also, for bridges.. do we know when we can craft them freely? I could only build one to start.. also, will they be able to go over not perfectly aligned/slightly angled river banks or do they all have to be done with the same peramiters as the first one you get? (I assume the latter but I have a river bank that wouldn't be able to have a bridge if so..)

After your first 3 new villagers move in Tom Nook upgrades Resident Services. That lets you start building bridges and ramps and also move any building on the island except the airport or Resident Services for 50k (30k for your house).

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

for when wasps land while using the axe—start holding the stick in the direction opposite of where they land so that you'll start running at the first available moment, this way you get enough of a head start on the wasp. after just about 1 second of running open your tool ring (the wasps will freeze in place while ur selecting your tools) select your net, and hold the stick in the direction of the wasps and immediately press a.

if you open the tool ring right when they land without running you won't have enough time to swing it and you'll get stung, but with that liittle head start you'll get it every time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's day 4 and Tammy just smuggled in some vacation juice

life is good

also can we talk about this chair?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How can you tell the difference between a fruit tree and a non fruit tree when you've already shaken them all?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

HyperHopper posted:

Does anybody know the requirements to upgrade Nook's Cranny?

In past games it was based on how much you spent there, I think the first upgrade came at 10,000 bells worth of items bought. Not sure if it's any different this time around.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Electric Phantasm posted:

The regular trees can drop furniture

And wasps!

Thanks! I will keep my island's biodiversity :)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zore posted:

After your first 3 new villagers move in Tom Nook upgrades Resident Services. That lets you start building bridges and ramps and also move any building on the island except the airport or Resident Services for 50k (30k for your house).

Do you know if can you move bridges and ramps?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How can you tell the difference between a fruit tree and a non fruit tree when you've already shaken them all?

Non fruit trees are a brighter green.

Also if you dig them up with fruit power it'll tell you what kind of tree they are

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do you know if can you move bridges and ramps?

I think so? Can't check till tomorrow as I'm building a ramp and that shuts down his dialogue about bridges/ramps.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i know nook said you can move bridges, im not sure about ramps

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

omg Nintendo, please make the pole vault / ladder use automatic whenever you approach a river or cliff face. It's so goddamn annoying to have to radial wheel them out after awhile.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Is there a site anywhere with premade QR codes for patterns people have made? Google is just giving me awful pintrest pages

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Your left/right tool swap is based on the order of items in your inventory. Have two nets, one on each side of your axe in use. When a hive drops, you have just enough time to swap + position and capture.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
I thought the islands you visit were random but I'm pretty sure I've been to the same island at least twice. Is there a limited number of them and if so how many?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I had never played an Animal Crossing game before, but the reviews for this seemed pretty good so I figured I'd try it. And I almost instantly regret it. This game seems so bland, basic and boring. I enjoy games similar to this like Dragon Quest Builders and Stardew Valley, but this one seems so shallow, like there isn't anything to really do. Am I just not giving it enough time?

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

GeauxSteve posted:

Anyone have an island I can come visit?

My gate is open to all.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

GoGoGadget posted:

I had never played an Animal Crossing game before, but the reviews for this seemed pretty good so I figured I'd try it. And I almost instantly regret it. This game seems so bland, basic and boring. I enjoy games similar to this like Dragon Quest Builders and Stardew Valley, but this one seems so shallow, like there isn't anything to really do. Am I just not giving it enough time?

Give it time. Change your expectations from being like Stardew. It’s similar in the aspect that it’s chill with no pressure...but different in other ways.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Can confirm, easier to get 8 strikes on the stone with a shovel just mashing. Couldn't get it with the stone axe.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I haven't read much of the stone talk but just dig holes to brace yourself and you can get 8 any time. They stop your recoil so you can get all the hits

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

GeauxSteve posted:

Is there a site anywhere with premade QR codes for patterns people have made? Google is just giving me awful pintrest pages

https://acpatterns.com/

I find the search sometimes doesn't work right for me, but there's a lot there.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Does anyone happen to have a stack of oranges that they're be willing to trade for a stack of cherries and/or peaches? My friend and I both are both missing that beautiful orange stamp on our cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do items despawn when left in the outdoors? I created a big turnip stash, but I'm worried this was a Mistake.