Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

48gb of new half life, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So wake up, Mr. Freeman...wake up, and increase your bandwidth cap

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I've seen pics of the edge magazine review of it (i think). Can I post them?

Armadillo Tank fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 22, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'll allow it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m about to go dark in this thread till I’ve completed it, see you guys next week.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I'll allow it

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

You're a saint.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Reading an article in a real paper magazine about a Half-Life game in 2020 on Something Awful Dot Com.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wild

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So let me get this reading right:

Edge thinks the game is pretty solid all around and translates the Half-Life gameplay pretty well into VR. Lot of good, small things and details, but nothing too revolutionary. Story is okay, but well told.

That post-script seems pretty pessimistic about the game's success though, mostly because of its VR trappings and the flaws inherit in the VR goggles. They think it may not end up being enough to truly justify VR in its current state, even if it is a very good game.

That sound about right?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'm disappointed they're not being called Grabbity Gloves

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Same

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Sounds like a plausible joke to put in the game dialogue to me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

First day off work is going to be spent playing a new Half-Life, maybe this Coronavirus ain't all that bad.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Secret leaked footage of HL3:DM, don't tell anyone :ssh:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1241585338398707717

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1235944040539058177

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What........actually is that? garrys mod VR?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What........actually is that? garrys mod VR?

It's just SteamVR Home in both tweets

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this game. I thought the world would poo poo itself when HL3 came out (I know this isn't HL3 except it is).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
pre-load for alyx is now up

i must compose posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this game. I thought the world would poo poo itself when HL3 came out (I know this isn't HL3 except it is).

Some people can't afford VR setups, other people have shrugged off VR as a gimmick after motion controls were a bait and switch

Its unfortunate though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/s...817895241265152

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

i must compose posted:

There's the VR thing but also its been over a decade since episode 2 and half life as a franchise has fallen out of the collective consciousness. To most people HL3 is a funny meme from years ago and they've forgotten what even made HL good in the first place. I am kind of surprised its not getting talked about more here specifically though since this forum is full of old PC grogs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

That spectator HUD and smoothing sounds great

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MMF Freeway posted:

There's the VR thing but also its been over a decade since episode 2 and half life as a franchise has fallen out of the collective consciousness. To most people HL3 is a funny meme from years ago and they've forgotten what even made HL good in the first place. I am kind of surprised its not getting talked about more here specifically though since this forum is full of old PC grogs.

I'd love to be talking about it non stop but I'm not going to get to play it properly for a very long time, if ever. Like the vast majority of Steam users.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Honestly I had kind of forgotten even though hl2 is my favorite game. I've been going back and replaying all the hl games and now I remember. Feels good it does.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

stev posted:

I'd love to be talking about it non stop but I'm not going to get to play it properly for a very long time, if ever. Like the vast majority of Steam users.

Same tbh I'm just going to live vicariously through people posting about it lol

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

If you own a PC there ain't no reason to not buy be besides the lack of inventory. Buying a new you is the same as an Oculus quest

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MMF Freeway posted:

It always blindsides me when I see people saying the games were never good. I feel like I go back to them every other year and they still hold up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

i must compose posted:

It's a PC only game. Compare to the reach that have Doom Eternal, being in PC, Switch, PS4 and Xbox one. Now that it's VR only game, that means it's has a reach a magnitude smaller than a normal PC game.
And Valve have made a pretty small marketing campaign for it. The trailer at VGA? Cancelled. After that? 3 small trailers, an interview with ign and the typical round of previews. Also reviews seems to be embargoed until release date, no marketing campaign done with popular streamers/youtubers, nothing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Valve is not looking to make a profit on Alyx.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

i must compose posted:

If you own a PC there ain't no reason to not buy be besides the lack of inventory. Buying a new you is the same as an Oculus quest

My PC can run most games fine in 2020 but just barely scrapes the requirements of the original Oculus. And even if that wasn't a factor I'd be dropping hundreds to play this one game (and Beat Sabre of course) which just isn't realistic for me right now.

Then there's the fact I'd have to drag my PC across my flat for space every time I want to play it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

They're not really looking to make anything at all for that matter

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

They're not really looking to make anything at all for that matter

Except literally a new half-life game in virtual loving reality that releases tomorrow :rolleyes:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Saintv77 posted:

Except literally a new half-life game in virtual loving reality that releases tomorrow :rolleyes:

outside the confines of logical consumerism am I right

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

KakerMix posted:

outside the confines of logical consumerism am I right

the virgin activision vs the chad valve

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Junk posted:

the virgin activision vs the chad valve

Virgin Interactive

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Not directly from purchase of the game, maybe, but you bet your rear end it's causing $1000 Index kits to fly off the shelves

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

porksmash posted:

Not directly from purchase of the game, maybe, but you bet your rear end it's causing $1000 Index kits to fly off the shelves

Thinking long term is way, way beyond most people let alone most companies.

I don't know if Valve even makes a profit on the Index, but you are right in that they are attempting to grow, or at least see if it can grow, virtual reality. I also think that they wanted to make Alyx outside of whatever future profits they might make, that's just a cool bonus.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

porksmash posted:

Only what they can make, which isn't much. Most are going to be playing the game on other headsets.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Saw a YouTube notification on my phone when I woke up from engadget, it said "Half-Lufe: Alyx review, the best VR game. Period."

Private now sadly, super hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AEMINAL posted:

Saw a YouTube notification on my phone when I woke up from engadget, it said "Half-Lufe: Alyx review, the best VR game. Period."

Private now sadly, super hyped.

Seems all reviews are under embargo, except gamerant talking about Edge Magazine's review https://gamerant.com/half-life-alyx-review-score/

I was 20, when I played HL2, I thought I would never play another Half-Life game in my life, until tomorrow, that is.

Lemming posted:

That spectator HUD and smoothing sounds great

My kids watched me play Boneworks and they got nausea from it. I'm glad Valve is making this spectator friendly.