Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if the actor who played kid Picard in Rascals grew up to look anything like Sir Patrick.

Not really.

(He's also retired from acting and focuses on writing and photography, now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is the second season underway already? I mean with Stewart turning 80 soon, that's sure quite a risk.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the body is so the Android who can mind-meld can take Data's katra out of B4 and turn him into a Real Boy

and then he can tell the god-synths to spare these people

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is the second season underway already? I mean with Stewart turning 80 soon, that's sure quite a risk.

They're writing it now, but considering it was only greenlit in December and production on everything has been shut down until probably June at the soonest, I wouldn't expect to see season 2 of Picard until very late this year or more likely early 2021.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

the body is so the Android who can mind-meld can take Data's katra out of B4 and turn him into a Real Boy

Jurati said she could restore Data 100% from like a single positron from Dahj or Soji, all she needed was a properly working lab, which, hey hey, she now has, PLUS a default body already 99% made and just waiting there for her to hijack right under Soong’s nose.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 22, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

FuturePastNow posted:

How is that going to happen, B4 is on earth

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Jurati said she could restore Data 100% from like a single positron

Of all the stupid poo poo they've done in Picard, this still might be the most egregious.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Drink-Mix Man posted:

do the Picard writers know that? I know it was in like the first episode but I doubt they keep track of that stuff

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Patrick going on shows like The View and asking Whoopi to join the show seems to seal the deal that Picard is staying for the whole 3 seasons.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Jurati said she could restore Data 100% from like a single positron from Dahj or Soji, all she needed was a properly working lab, which, hey hey, she now has, PLUS a default body already 99% made and just waiting there for her to hijack right under Soong’s nose.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Soong completes his body. It look like him at current age. He dies before he can go in, or the mind transfer fails. Jurati recreates Data's mind and installs it in the body. Spiner can now play Data at his age without CGI or makeup.

:boom:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If you could design your own body, why would you make it all old

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom12255 posted:

Patrick going on shows like The View and asking Whoopi to join the show seems to seal the deal that Picard is staying for the whole 3 seasons.

They've only confirmed the second season.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Maddox's theory was that Data's net could be restored from a single neuron, but Jurati and Picard's conversation in the pilot also implied that only some "essense" of Data might remain afterwards. That's probably what we're seeing with Dahj and Soji's flashes of memory and vague familiarity, and some of the other synths at the colony seem to have that, too. If it were that easy to bring back 100% of Data it would've happened already.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Delsaber posted:

"essense" of Data

BAM!

That's an Emeril Lagasse joke, lame, I know

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

They're writing it now, but considering it was only greenlit in December and production on everything has been shut down until probably June at the soonest, I wouldn't expect to see season 2 of Picard until very late this year or more likely early 2021.
Did they ever get started on production for whatever this Section 31 series is supposed to be?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

https://www.space.com/star-trek-section-31-discovery-filming-schedules.html

Following the Hollywood premiere of "Picard," GWW has reported that filming is set to start in Mississauga, Canada, on May 4 of this year and will shoot for a total of seven months, with a completion date of November 2020. Apparently, production was pushed back to accommodate Michelle Yeoh's shooting schedule on the Marvel Studios film "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings."

GWW being Geeks Worldwide which is a media outlet I've never heard of.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lister posted:

https://www.space.com/star-trek-section-31-discovery-filming-schedules.html

Following the Hollywood premiere of "Picard," GWW has reported that filming is set to start in Mississauga, Canada, on May 4 of this year and will shoot for a total of seven months, with a completion date of November 2020. Apparently, production was pushed back to accommodate Michelle Yeoh's shooting schedule on the Marvel Studios film "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings."

GWW being Geeks Worldwide which is a media outlet I've never heard of.

Mississauga??? I didn't even know they had film production stuff in Mississauga. I know for Discovery they filmed that on some soundstages in Toronto (Pinewood?).

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Maybe it's a location shoot for a dystopian future city.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lol can't this thread go one page without sourcing (or linking to an article sourcing) TheGWW

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I see this show is banking hard Alastair Reynolds

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Comrade Fakename posted:

That said, I do think there is a not-unlikely chance that Picard will “die”, be transferred into the robot body, and then be played by a different, younger, actor because Patrick Stewart actually only signed on to one season and this is the only way to keep the show going.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would love to see Tom Hardy return to play Picard. It will never happen but oh it would be wonderful.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ashpanash posted:

If you could design your own body, why would you make it all old

That and you also have to make sure that you're still fully functional in multiple techniques.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I would love to see Tom Hardy return to play Picard. It will never happen but oh it would be wonderful.

Filming Nemesis and the backlash to it as a work of cinema in general drove Tom Hardy to literally contemplate suicide, so I would be incredibly surprised if he'd be in any hurry to return to the Star Trek franchise under any circumstances, doubly so in today's era of internet screeching over it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't play video games and don't know anything about Mass Effect outside of the context gleaned from this thread, so I could care less about how this plot compares. I think the Clarke-esque mysterious super-synths is a cool idea.

I guess I'm just a "glass is half full" sort of guy. :shrug: :cheers:

:same:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

nine-gear crow posted:

Filming Nemesis and the backlash to it as a work of cinema in general drove Tom Hardy to literally contemplate suicide, so I would be incredibly surprised if he'd be in any hurry to return to the Star Trek franchise under any circumstances, doubly so in today's era of internet screeching over it.

He should do it as an act of vengeance. Play Picard as Bronson and utterly destroy people's minds.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Holy smokes, really? Nemesis was such a waste of a movie.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So Raffi is gonna use the Click remote on Picard's melon and cure him right?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 23, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

That said, I do think there is a not-unlikely chance that Picard will “die”, be transferred into the robot body, and then be played by a different, younger, actor because Patrick Stewart actually only signed on to one season and this is the only way to keep the show going.

Picard gets to pick his own face, and in a twist emerges as Robo-Wil Wheaton.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Senor Tron posted:

Picard gets to pick his own face, and in a twist emerges as Robo-Wil Wheaton.

"Shut up.... Me"

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Hed posted:

Holy smokes, really?

No

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

And he'll even remember how to sing "Walking on Sunshine"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

And he'll even remember how to sing "Walking on Sunshine"

One of the better jokes in Insurrection is when Data comes back online and goes "I seem to be missing several memory chips" and Geordi just hands them to him and Data deadpans "Oh, there they are."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Patrick Stewart on his Twitter account confirmed a season 2. Who the gently caress knows why though, or why anyone on the cast and crew would want to do another season of this trash.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I said come in! posted:

Patrick Stewart on his Twitter account confirmed a season 2. Who the gently caress knows why though, or why anyone on the cast and crew would want to do another season of this trash.

Season 2 was announced in December.

Actually, yes. Hardy was already deep into alcohol and cocaine addiction by the time he did Nemesis, but the movie's colossal failure triggered him into an even deeper downward spiral and he contemplated suicide.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Presumably because it is both popular and good. You miserable solipsistic arse.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Presumably because it's popular and good. You miserable solipsistic arse.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The big dumb reveal / S2 setup at the end is going to be "oh no, they accidentally used one of Lore's positrons!!!"

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Looks like somebody set this synthetic to evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"Does anybody know how to factory reset a Soong-type android?"