Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

T___A posted:

Hey guys, y'all aware of any good sources that go into detail about how cavalry was used on the Eastern Front of WW1?

I will take any reason to recommend "And Quiet Flows the Don". Mikhail Sholokhov was from the Don Host Oblast. Although too young to have participated in WWI, he joined the Bolsheviks in 1918 to fight in the Russian Civil War, and married the daughter of an Ataman, so he has plenty of sources to draw on for personal accounts of mounted combat during the war.

As for its use within say the larger plan of a battle, there is unfortunately precious little on this particular question in the English language. That said in broad strokes it's fairly similar in the East to how it is in the West in the early war: attacking lines of communication and supply, reconnaissance, pursuing a retreating enemy, etc. The war in the Russia's western front does settle into trench warfare as well, though it does shift in fits and starts. By the Kerensky Offensive it seems like cavalrymen were basically just infantrymen with an expensive (and very tasty) chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what's the difference between that and a dragoon? is there dragoon doctrine

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

By the time you hit the 20th C most cavalry are effectively dragons in reality. I know the poles were issuing lances for a long time but pretty much everyone else was fighting dismounted and I suspect the poles were as well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cyrano4747 posted:

By the time you hit the 20th C most cavalry are effectively dragons in reality. I know the poles were issuing lances for a long time but pretty much everyone else was fighting dismounted and I suspect the poles were as well.

Well duh, why else would we call them pole arms?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This um is an interesting mental image. The FATAL and Friends thread in trad games suggests that dragonlamces could still be a very effective weapon, however!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Beevors WWII has a surreal scene in which Greek (or possibly Armenian) lancers ride along a road while soldiers try to keep traffic going.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Beevors WWII has a surreal scene in which Greek (or possibly Armenian) lancers ride along a road while soldiers try to keep traffic going.
the modern lancers ae so graceful looking

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HEY GUNS posted:

With their amazing Jump powers they're able to ignore almost all terrain advantages, but their proclivity to complex psychodrama makes it hard to build your force around them. Sort of like mountain troops, unless you happen to be in a long-term dragon war.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, and it reminds me that I'm looking for recommendations on books that go into the strategic thought of the various conventional militaries of the Cold War, and how it all evolved between 1945 and 1991.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FPyat posted:

I'm reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, and it reminds me that I'm looking for recommendations on books that go into the strategic thought of the various conventional militaries of the Cold War, and how it all evolved between 1945 and 1991.

Ralph Peter's Red Army, while also a novel (a novella, it's quite short) while isn't what you're looking for in terms of high level strategic background context, might be a good example of a sort of primer in terms of the sort of war the Soviets wanted to fight even if they rolled a lot of natural 20's in that work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

even if they rolled a lot of natural 20's in that work.

There's a reason for that, of course. Ralph Peters was a US Army intelligence officer and the afterword to the book is basically 'oh God spend lots more money on the military or this could happen to youuuuu'

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FPyat posted:

The Third World War
by John Hackett is an excellent starting point. It was written in 1977 and posits a war in summer 1985. It was widely read at the time, so copies should be readily available.

Parts of the scenario look really dated or odd today (Iran is our bestest buddy in the Middle East (oops), at the start of the war the Marines are sent to invade Yugoslavia, etc.).

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 23, 2020

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

LRADIKAL posted:

OK! This is kind of interesting, but now you're just talking past each other. Send me a link to your blacksmithing and coal burning megathread, please.

There is a YouTube historian by the name of drachinfel who covers a lot of naval history, advances in metallurgy and more.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i've also got a similar question and i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but lately i've polished off a few books like matterhorn and the naked and the dead, which are war novels going about the lives of soldiers written at mostly the level of a platoon with maybe a few isolated dips into the perspectives of field officers and general staff during conflict

are there any good books that are written mostly from the perspectives of field officers or from the general staff during wartime? i suppose i'd also settle for a biography if it were relevantly focused

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

hard counter posted:

i've also got a similar question and i'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but lately i've polished off a few books like matterhorn and the naked and the dead, which are war novels going about the lives of soldiers written at mostly the level of a platoon with maybe a few isolated dips into the perspectives of field officers and general staff during conflict

are there any good books that are written mostly from the perspectives of field officers or from the general staff during wartime? i suppose i'd also settle for a biography if it were relevantly focused

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0330509...=aa_scomp_srdg2

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good choice.

I'd also suggest Grant's memoirs.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I forget, was Zaloga a trustworthy source?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Hey all, I'm looking for a site that I think was posted in here a while back, maybe i found it somewhere else but I can't find it again now. It was a stupidly extensive collection of TO&E's from WW2 and WW1 for basically every nation. It had a charming geocities look to boot. I'm pretty sure it was the work of some random wargaming guy, and google is not being helpful.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Could you be thinking of https://ww2db.com/ It doesn't have the TO&Es, but it does have an extensive list of equipment.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

FishFood posted:

Hey all, I'm looking for a site that I think was posted in here a while back, maybe i found it somewhere else but I can't find it again now. It was a stupidly extensive collection of TO&E's from WW2 and WW1 for basically every nation. It had a charming geocities look to boot. I'm pretty sure it was the work of some random wargaming guy, and google is not being helpful.

Is this it: http://www.niehorster.org/000_admin/000oob.htm? It's only WW2, but it otherwise fits the bill, includign being very hard to track down.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cessna posted:

Parts of the scenario look really dated or odd today (Iran is our bestest buddy in the Middle East (oops), at the start of the war the Marines are sent to invade Yugoslavia, etc.).

I was confused about the US invading Yugoslavia but then I looked it up and read that it was to aid Yugoslavia against the USSR and that made sense.

I really hope the original version had Tito still alive, as he intended to live forever.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been having fun with reading old public domain books that google has on its play store for free download.

And I mean 'a book about the franco-prussian war written in 1870' old.

Its called 'the franco prussian war, its causes incidents and consequences'. It was written by a British guy.

Its fun reading about how even back then the french chessepot was considered better than the prussian needle gun.

The prussian logistics and how they compare to France's are amazing to read. The description of just how centralized and cumbersome frances system was is pretty interesting.

One example was how regiments were determined. Apparently in Prussia, your regiment you joined for conscription and where you assembled was based on where you currently lived, and was updated if you moved. In france this wasn't the case, so the rail lines were clogged with soldiers trying to get to the other side of the country where their regiment would assemble.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 24, 2020

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
So my wife has been watching a lot of Kingdom, a South Korean show about a zombie apocalypse in 1600's Korea. Obviously it takes all kinds of liberties with history, but I notice in the show that they use a lot of Japanese-style swords. Was that a thing in actual Korean history? I don't know hardly anything about that time and place, but I would have guessed Chinese-style weapons would be the norm. Maybe because Korea and Japan had been warring against each other for a while?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pharohman777 posted:

Been having fun with reading old public domain books that google has on its play store for free download.

Its called 'the franco prussian war, its causes incidents and consequences'. It was written by a British guy.

Its fun reading about how even back then the french chessepot was considered better than the prussian needle gun.

The prussian logistics and how they compare to France's are amazing to read. The description of just how centralized and cumbersome frances system was is pretty interesting.

One example was how regiments were determined. Apparently in Prussia, your regiment you joined for conscription and where you assembled was based on where you currently lived, and was updated if you moved. In france this wasn't the case, so the rail lines were clogged with soldiers trying to get to the other side of the country where their regiment would assemble.

Written in 1870? Did they spoil the ending?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

EggsAisle posted:

So my wife has been watching a lot of Kingdom, a South Korean show about a zombie apocalypse in 1600's Korea. Obviously it takes all kinds of liberties with history, but I notice in the show that they use a lot of Japanese-style swords. Was that a thing in actual Korean history? I don't know hardly anything about that time and place, but I would have guessed Chinese-style weapons would be the norm. Maybe because Korea and Japan had been warring against each other for a while?

Japan had just finished invading them and being forcibly evicted twice by 1600, so Japanese weapons we're all over the place.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

Note that the brits shat on the needle gun every chance they had because they were always trying to justify how they made the right choice sticking with muzzle loaders for a few extra decades. The chassepot was a better gun but it was also a few decades newer - 1841 is when the needle gun came out and 1866 for the chsssepot. I’ve got a whole write up on that somewhere that I was making for another thread but I can scare it up later if anyone’s interested.

The Prussians themselves realized this, hence the Mauser m1871 becoming a thing. But man the brits has a strange fixation for a while with bagging on the needle gun. A lot of it’s deficiencies are over blown and if was a good solution to some very specific issues that Prussia had while playing to their strengths.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Cheap? what no we're not cheap!

*thumbs round awkwardly into converted Enfield musket*

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The thing is that a lot of their complaints and rationale for not adopting something broadly similar made a lot of sense. Britain and Prussia had pretty different needs and capabilities. But holy crap they took every chance they had to insist they no in 1850 it’s better to have a muzzle loader than a breach loaded bolt action, categorically, that gun can’t work for Prussia because we decided it wasn’t right for us.

I really need to find that write up.

Or rather part of. I think the fucker was going on ten pages last I saw.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Given the requirements for social distancing and the need to stay 6 feet away from others, whats the best polearm to use in this situation? Spetum?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Boar spear, in case the other person keeps trying to get close.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

But with a Spetum or Ranseur, you have the hooks along the shaft to push them away.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

Man catcher. Hook them and then just keep pushing them back.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ChubbyChecker posted:

I forget, was Zaloga a trustworthy source?

Yeah he's one of the top dudes for US tank development during World War II.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

EggsAisle posted:

I think it would be surprising if Japanese weapons hadn't influenced Korea in this period, but I'd also be cautious about suggesting they are using Japanese style swords. What's the specific difference between Chinese and Japanese style swords in this period, and what distinguishes Korean arms from both of these places? Single edged curved blades with a disc pommel were common all over northern Asia from at least the medieval period forward. There was always continuous cultural exchange between Korea, China, and Japan, and all places influenced each other. Given that it can be difficult to determine what came from where or when.

edit: here's an example of some of the back and forth influence in sword design at play in the region:

The blade here is a Chinese made woyaodao from the 17th or 18th century. The woyaodao however translates to "Japanese styled waist-worn saber." Clearly it is a mainland sword influenced by Japanese style from exactly the period of the show Kingdom. However the woyaodao style of sword was already in use in China as of the late 14th century. By the point this blade was manufactured it has been a particularly Chinese weapon for hundreds of years, evolving independently of Japanese swords. Going back even further, the katana itself owes a lot of elements of its design to sword styles imported from the mainland.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 24, 2020

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Don Gato posted:

Japan had just finished invading them and being forcibly evicted twice by 1600, so Japanese weapons we're all over the place.

Even before the invasion, Japanese swords were desired and got imported, and influenced Korean-made swords heavily. That style was more of a thing for aristocrats though; military officers often used more Chinese-styled swords.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

From the 16th century Chinese book Jixiao Xinshu.

Edit: Oh, neat. That book was the basis for a later Korean manual titled Muyejebo, which was later expanded with some Japanese manuscript sources.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 24, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah he's one of the top dudes for US tank development during World War II.

Thanks!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note that the brits shat on the needle gun every chance they had because they were always trying to justify how they made the right choice sticking with muzzle loaders for a few extra decades. The chassepot was a better gun but it was also a few decades newer - 1841 is when the needle gun came out and 1866 for the chsssepot. I’ve got a whole write up on that somewhere that I was making for another thread but I can scare it up later if anyone’s interested.

The Prussians themselves realized this, hence the Mauser m1871 becoming a thing. But man the brits has a strange fixation for a while with bagging on the needle gun. A lot of it’s deficiencies are over blown and if was a good solution to some very specific issues that Prussia had while playing to their strengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfHtvdgIWws

:justpost:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Beardless posted:

Is this it: http://www.niehorster.org/000_admin/000oob.htm? It's only WW2, but it otherwise fits the bill, includign being very hard to track down.

That's the one! Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing is that a lot of their complaints and rationale for not adopting something broadly similar made a lot of sense. Britain and Prussia had pretty different needs and capabilities. But holy crap they took every chance they had to insist they no in 1850 it’s better to have a muzzle loader than a breach loaded bolt action, categorically, that gun can’t work for Prussia because we decided it wasn’t right for us.

I really need to find that write up.

Or rather part of. I think the fucker was going on ten pages last I saw.

It honestly amazes me how they pulled off the hat trick by returning to muzzle loaded artillery for most of the late 19th century but they were kind of right as well the technology behind the early breech loaded artillery pieces caught up.

Rifled muzzle loaded artillery pieces are kind of cool too. You just turned the biggest shotgun into the biggest rifle.