Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that The Baby from Hellboy?

I'm not familiar with Hellboy :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

you should be

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randaconda posted:

I'm not familiar with Hellboy :ohdear:

Sorry, not the Baby. Not sure where I got that from.

No, I meant The Good Samaritan:

It's too bad that Millennia's KS-23 shotgun doesn't have the proper 4 gauge ammunition and instead uses 25mm grenades. I love guns firing unreasonably large rounds.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 29, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry, not the Baby. Not sure where I got that from.

No, I meant The Good Samaritan:

It's too bad that Millennia's KS-23 shotgun doesn't have the proper 4 gauge ammunition and instead uses 25mm grenades. I love guns firing unreasonably large rounds.

He got a new revolver in the second movie, the Big Baby.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I've been looking at the vanilla food items and there is literally no reason to make anything in the game besides gecko steaks at Goodsprings, since the difference between the most time consuming food item to put together ( Brahmin Wellington ) and Gecko Steaks is about 25 starvation points.

Like, you either have to buff all the food items, because otherwise you might as well just put them together and sell them and eat Gecko steaks instead.

I just wish I looked at the Gecko steaks first before I spent time making recipes and fighting the GECK.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
after thems good eatin why would you ever eat anything but blood sausages ever again

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Twincityhacker posted:

I've been looking at the vanilla food items and there is literally no reason to make anything in the game besides gecko steaks at Goodsprings, since the difference between the most time consuming food item to put together ( Brahmin Wellington ) and Gecko Steaks is about 25 starvation points.

Like, you either have to buff all the food items, because otherwise you might as well just put them together and sell them and eat Gecko steaks instead.

I just wish I looked at the Gecko steaks first before I spent time making recipes and fighting the GECK.

I think the Jsawyer mod is really good about fixing stuff like this

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The JSawyer mod mostly changes the food created by perks ( thin red paste and blood sausage ) by changing their healing rates.

Oddly enough, none of which have Starvation values.

Though I did find a mod that rebuilds JSawyer by script that takes care of the problem by nerfing Gecko steaks and re-arranging the meat steak tiers. And adding roast meat to all of the meat drops.

EDIT: JSawyer Ultimate Edition.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 6, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JawKnee posted:

after 61 Flavors why would you ever drink anything but Slurm ever again

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So after approximately five hundred years of development, The Frontier appears to be slowly shuffling towards release. Allegedly the timeline is "Within the next few months", with most of the work left to do being focused on bugfixing, finishing quests, and voice acting. They've also been releasing more footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWchHlHOL5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idiFq0WgFAA

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Aside from the generic sci-fi font use on the HUD I am really digging what I see so far.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So now that modern hardware is pretty much universally overkill for this old game, I was messing around with draw distances in ways I was previously unable. I'm using a GTX 1080 non-TI, btw.

I set uGridsToLoad to 10, and didn't break everything horribly. I did however notice that I could be sighted in on a far-away stationary target, but my bullet would just disappear once it got a certain distance away from me, well within what the game was rendering at the time. I did some digging, and this is apparently A Thing. I found an Reddit thread for Skyrim or Fallout 4, and it recommended setting fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist to 12288 in Fallout.ini. I tried it despite NV using Gamebryo rather than Creation Engine, with predictable results. Didn't do poo poo. Is there a form of this variable in Gamebryo? Failing that, anyone know of a mod that could affect this behavior?

I also stumbled upon an NVSE tweak that will allow the game to utilize more RAM, even if the 4GB patch has been properly applied. In Fallout New Vegas\Data\nvse - create a new file called nvse_config.ini and put in the following lines:

code:
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=400
Big fights with lots of NPCs are probably going to be the only thing that would be made more stable by this. AKA if you've ever had the specific error stating "Out of Memory".

Also, whoever recommended skipping New Vegas Bounties 3 was dead on. It was overwrought, poorly designed, railroading nonsense. It was really disappointing, since I'd had so much with 1, 2, and The Inheritance :shrug:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

You shouldn't mess with uGrids, even if it doesn't tank your performance, it still leads to weird fuckery within your save file that can result in random crashes on cell changes/loading a game. If you want a better draw distance, use FNVLoDGen. It doesn't load more of the game, but it does make distant landscapes look a lot better with more and better detailed models for pretty much everything. Works with any mods you have installed that add in new locations and things to the wasteland too. It can potentially take a while to generate new LoD though, depending on your CPU and the amount of stuff you're generating for. It took like 2 hours for me, but I have a shitload of mods and a dual-core so-

It won't spawn actors further out, it's purely for static meshes and the like.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Messing with grid load can also trigger events and encounters way off in the distance so they’ll happen and you’ll never know about it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

I set uGridsToLoad to 10, and didn't break everything horribly. I did however notice that I could be sighted in on a far-away stationary target, but my bullet would just disappear once it got a certain distance away from me, well within what the game was rendering at the time. I did some digging, and this is apparently A Thing.
Don't mess with uGrids. The hardware you're using isn't the issue. The engine just wasn't designed to handle that and it will lead to weird poo poo like terrain loosing all collision.

But if you must: In the GECK, Weapon forms point to an Ammunition form. Which in turn points to a projectile form. This form has a Range entry, which is the maximum distance the projectile will fire.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mooktastical posted:

I set uGridsToLoad to 10, and didn't break everything horribly. I did however notice that I could be sighted in on a far-away stationary target, but my bullet would just disappear once it got a certain distance away from me, well within what the game was rendering at the time. I did some digging, and this is apparently A Thing. I found an Reddit thread for Skyrim or Fallout 4, and it recommended setting fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist to 12288 in Fallout.ini. I tried it despite NV using Gamebryo rather than Creation Engine, with predictable results. Didn't do poo poo. Is there a form of this variable in Gamebryo? Failing that, anyone know of a mod that could affect this behavior?
Is the issue that the bullet doesn't render or is the issue that the projectile stops existing? I think there is either a global variable that controls max range or a value on weapons or projectiles. It's been a while so I don't remember.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

Is the issue that the bullet doesn't render or is the issue that the projectile stops existing? I think there is either a global variable that controls max range or a value on weapons or projectiles. It's been a while so I don't remember.

jsawyer2.esp when

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Don't mess with uGrids. The hardware you're using isn't the issue. The engine just wasn't designed to handle that and it will lead to weird poo poo like terrain loosing all collision.

But if you must: In the GECK, Weapon forms point to an Ammunition form. Which in turn points to a projectile form. This form has a Range entry, which is the maximum distance the projectile will fire.

This worked, thanks. I did end up setting UGridsToLoad back to default, so it's moot.

rope kid posted:

It just stops existing. Oblivion-era modding was a weird beast.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mooktastical posted:

This worked, thanks. I did end up setting UGridsToLoad back to default, so it's moot.

There's a whole process for that iirc because otherwise it'll cause eventually crashes if not followed. From what I recall, lowering it after an increase is perilous.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Chronojam posted:

There's a whole process for that iirc because otherwise it'll cause eventually crashes if not followed. From what I recall, lowering it after an increase is perilous.

I considered that, and found some reported problems. Apparently, it'll cause any save made after the higher UGridsToLoad to CTD any time you try to load it with the lower setting. Thing is, this didn't happen to me. According to everything I found, it's not like save bloat where it just increases load times and the chance of crashing, but flat-out makes those saves completely unplayable. I'm guessing the way Mod Organizer 2 virtualizes things somehow fixes it?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mooktastical posted:

I'm guessing the way Mod Organizer 2 virtualizes things somehow fixes it?

No, but check back in ten hours of gameplay and let us know if it's still stable then.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I just wanted to share this really neat occlusion culling mod. Been using it for a while in my playthrough now and it's helped with a few extra frames in the affected areas.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68098

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gyshall posted:

No, but check back in ten hours of gameplay and let us know if it's still stable then.

Yeah I'm trying to recall details but I feel like this is one of the "causes inevitable crashes" bugs where if he plays long enough it'll crash.

I kinda recall some process of forcing the game to unload things while in an unconnected worldspace, then waiting out some internal timers, then saving, restarting, saving and reloading one more time?

Not sure if it was this particular bug, but in FO3 I couldn't leave a building I'd saved myself into until I did some arcane set of steps and then necessarily gibbed myself, and only then proceeded from there without it crashing.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Okay I am at a total loss after spending all day trying to figure this out and fix it to no avail.

Just out of the blue certain elements of my user interface have decided to turn into pink boxes.

All the check boxes and other elements of the mod configuration menu are affected:

Only the "Survival" skill icon is affected:

And my world map:

Plus the icon for a helmet in my inventory is affected but I didn't get a screenshot of that but it's the same deal.

I've tried everything I can think of. I updated any of my mods that needed updating, I've rebuilt my merged & bashed patches, I've made sure all the .bsa's are being loaded. I don't even have any mods installed that affect icons, and I have a satellite map mod for the world map, but that's up to date and hasn't been touched and doesn't touch anything else. My NVSE is up to date, and I have user interface organizer installed as well (which I thought was supposed to prevent stuff like this).

I have no idea what else to do. I haven't done or changed anything to cause this. I was playing the game just fine last night, been playing this set up for over a dozen hours just fine, and I fire it up today to find this mess. I don't understand how poo poo can seemingly just break like this.

Please somebody have a solution to this I don't want to nuke the install.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Try disabling the latter half of your mods. If the problem disappears, you know the problem is with one of the disabled mods.
Activate the disabled mods one by one until the issue reappears, the last mod you activated was the culprit.

If disabling the latter half of the mods didn't work, disable half of the remaining mods and see if that changes anything. Continue doing that until you've eliminated all but one option.

But before you do any of that, try disabling your ENB if you have one. Worth a try. Same goes for the ambient occlusion mod you mentioned. If you don't have any UI mods, then post-processing ones could be likely culprits.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What's the best player home mod in TYOOL2020?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gyshall posted:

What's the best player home mod in TYOOL2020?

Still Lombard Station, imo.

There's also one of my personal favorites, The Crate House
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46534

And if you wanna live in a meme
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65442

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Turns out my issue stemmed from having more than 139 active plugins. Had to disable a few and everything is back as it should. Which is a bummer. There's some really cool stuff I want to add in. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do another playthrough after this one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Upmarket Mango posted:

Turns out my issue stemmed from having more than 139 active plugins. Had to disable a few and everything is back as it should. Which is a bummer. There's some really cool stuff I want to add in. Oh well, guess I'll just have to do another playthrough after this one.

The thread distilled into a single post

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upmarket Mango posted:

you can't merge some?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Use zedit and merge that poo poo into logical groups. One for visuals, one for patches and fixes, one for content, etc. I have like 300 mods, 176 esp files, but only 84 active ESPs, even before bash/smashed patches

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Is Frontier supposed to be in Vancouver / Seattle? I always thought that would be an amazing setting for a fallout game, I'm glad someone with talent also had that idea.

Speaking of mods I finally played through new california and I had fun but boy oh boy is it poorly coded, I was shocked at how lovely it ran.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Randaconda posted:

you can't merge some?

I merged whatever Wrye Flash can merge into a bashed patch on it's own.

Gyshall posted:

Use zedit and merge that poo poo into logical groups. One for visuals, one for patches and fixes, one for content, etc. I have like 300 mods, 176 esp files, but only 84 active ESPs, even before bash/smashed patches

I've never manually merged anything before. I presume I can merge stuff that Wrye Flash can't?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Iirc the ESP limit applies to deactivated Esp files in the data directory as well or some nonsense.

Check out the Viva new Vegas guide, it details how to use zEdit to merge plugins. Super easy

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Is Frontier supposed to be in Vancouver / Seattle? I always thought that would be an amazing setting for a fallout game, I'm glad someone with talent also had that idea.

Speaking of mods I finally played through new california and I had fun but boy oh boy is it poorly coded, I was shocked at how lovely it ran.

It's Nuclear Winter changed Oregon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If it is in Oregon, maybe there'll be shout outs to Fallout 2. It looks pretty in screenshots, but who knows.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

From what the developers said about their storyline I am getting a weird combination of Ice World Mad Max Hearts of Darkness.

The NCR contingent might go Spec Ops The Line for sure.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Grapplejack posted:

There is a mod being made set in Seattle, but it's for Fallout 4, not New Vegas.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Ok, so I’ve messed with mods years ago but never really did much with them. I would like to change that. The op seem completely outdated. Is there a post in this thread or some other resource that can show my what the best mods are to pretty the game up and add some new content? I know it’s subjective, but I’m not sure where to even start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dragonrah posted:

Ok, so I’ve messed with mods years ago but never really did much with them. I would like to change that. The op seem completely outdated. Is there a post in this thread or some other resource that can show my what the best mods are to pretty the game up and add some new content? I know it’s subjective, but I’m not sure where to even start.

The Viva New Vegas mod guide works pretty good for graphics, they have new content and stuff too.