Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Half of everyone is celebrating their last night of bars and restaurants being open, while the other half of everyone is at Walmart buying up all the barbecue sauce and frozen pizza. Anyone else not mathematically accounted for there is at home, it seems.

It has definitely hit for most people that it's real, but it's still not quite real that it's real in terms of people stopping spending and so on. Businesses have, but not most people. That will be the point at which it becomes "real" in my estimation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Half of everyone is celebrating their last night of bars and restaurants being open, while the other half of everyone is at Walmart buying up all the barbecue sauce and frozen pizza. Anyone else not mathematically accounted for there is at home, it seems.

It has definitely hit for most people that it's real, but it's still not quite real that it's real in terms of people stopping spending and so on. Businesses have, but not most people. That will be the point at which it becomes "real" in my estimation.

What do you mean by "stopping spending"?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

What do you mean by "stopping spending"?

My guess is when people start getting really spooked and unsure about their own situation that they stop spending on luxuries and save for necessities.

I quit a really stressful job (worked with child victims of physical and sexual abuse) and I started delivering pizzas to take a breather. Moved to doing Uber Eats so I could make my own schedule and help with my first grandchild.Holidays where college kids are home always slows business down due to more drivers being available. I knew things would get rough with an extra week added to Spring Break and then schools closing campus and sending them home... my earnings took a nose dive. Pretty sure there are three times as many drivers on the road now. I called my pizza job and they took me back immediately. I'm just nervous now how a complete lockdown would work for food delivery. Would we be 'essential'? I am also waiting for mass layoffs and businesses failing because that is going to really make people eschew luxuries.

On March 6th, my soon-to-be son-in-law's brother moved here from Kentucky with his wife and four kids. I should mention we are a multi-generational household with my husband and me, my oldest son and his wife, my daughter and her fiance and the new baby, and our 14 year old son. Our house is massive, so we knew we had enough space for his family to stay a bit while looking for a rental. Yep... my husband and I couldn't allow them to move out into an expensive rental with the last of their money with the wife not working and the brother working for JBL (he WFH), which sells audio products with Japanese parts. So we offered to let them stay until this crisis is over and we know they can make it. I honestly thought the brother was going to cry for a second, he was so relieved. So there are now 14 of us in the house (almost 3500 sq feet, specifically built for us all to live together).

My husband and my daughter's fiance work at the same company, which delivers wood and siding to house builds. Just waiting for their business to start laying people off as building screeches to a halt during this.

Trying to stay positive.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wish i was part of a community like that :)

if we get trumpbux i'm thinking of riding my bike from austin to big bend and north to santa fe then back; i'm open to people coming along. bike-packing is fun and cheap

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shoving money into the hands of people who are without a way to pay their expenses can help things. The way it's being talked about, it's more being considered as an economic stimulus, which seems absurd because if the measures that are freezing the economy are still in place, there's not going to be much to stimulate.

It's crazy how this is the second Republican proposing to just randomly cutting checks to everybody in the country and yet they will still be considered the fiscally responsible small government people and the guy who wants to comprehensively give something to everybody along with exhaustive plans for how it will be paid for is an unrealistic irresponsible radical and dangerous populist.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

yeah seems like the "your job no longer exists but your bills do" phase is when it gets real for most people

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Svanja posted:

I called my pizza job and they took me back immediately. I'm just nervous now how a complete lockdown would work for food delivery. Would we be 'essential'?

I'm fully certain the answer is yes. There are a ton of people who don't know how to cook, or simply can't (disabled, elderly, etc.) and need food delivered.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

If McDonalds is exempted, I'm pretty sure pizza places are too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shoving money into the hands of people who are without a way to pay their expenses can help things. The way it's being talked about, it's more being considered as an economic stimulus, which seems absurd because if the measures that are freezing the economy are still in place, there's not going to be much to stimulate.

It's crazy how this is the second Republican proposing to just randomly cutting checks to everybody in the country and yet they will still be considered the fiscally responsible small government people and the guy who wants to comprehensively give something to everybody along with exhaustive plans for how it will be paid for is an unrealistic irresponsible radical and dangerous populist.

Well, they didn't really care about deficits, they just scared Democrats into thinking it was important - like they will do the very second a Democrat takes the oath of office. Will the Dems fall for it again after this incredible and definitive demonstration of the mendacity of fiscal conservative rhetoric? You better believe they will.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NBCDFW/status/1241470142095265801

quote:

Four of the cases were reported from the Denton State Supported Living Center, one of which was counted among the new cases reported Friday.

The cases at the facility include one resident in their 50s and three in their 60s. All four patients are in hospital isolation.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_crLarK4MM

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Apparently rumors that Houston is going into lock down on Monday are spreading so aggressively on social media that the mayor gave multiple press conferences yesterday to tell people to knock it off.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the third largest city in the US refusing to go on lockdown

loving idiots

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
MaRtIaL lAw!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

They already have Marshall Law in Harrison County.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I'm fully certain the answer is yes. There are a ton of people who don't know how to cook, or simply can't (disabled, elderly, etc.) and need food delivered.

Thank you, that makes me feel much better! I’ve delivered to elderly people each day and a lot of post-surgery folks. Y’all are right, I think we will be just fine.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

They already have Marshall Law in Harrison County.

Seal the gate of Fort Bend. No one goes in or out!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I've got money on Texas bring dead last. Closed is bad for business.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was in a nest of rednecks the other day who started showing videos of Humvees on the trains being shipped around and started yammering about martial law and I was able to pull out my, "I have lived under martial law, twice, it is not sneaky or underhanded - it is very purposely in your face and overt." card and shut them up temporarily.

Seriously, though, in this particular situation, if it became necessary, it would not be the worst thing provided it rescinded appropriately like it did in the airports after the immediate post-9/11 period. So far, doesn't seem like it would be necessary.

Either way, the thing people don't think about, redneck or otherwise, is that anything like that is just a massive logistical endeavor that's functionally impossible. Occupying America's international airports with troops is a tiny, concentrated job. Occupying America with troops is an impossible job. Hell, we couldn't even implement martial law logistically in Afghanistan successfully with a decade, trillions of dollars and stop loss, and Afghanistan is smaller than just Texas by a bit - and that wasn't because of enemy fighters or anything else, it's because occupying a land mass with disparate populations takes a shitload of people.

Leave aside that the whole topic is a conservative fever dream to begin with intended to keep themselves riled up and busy yammering, even if someone actually decides they want to do it, good luck. They can't even close down the eight liners in Brazoria County lol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

the third largest city in the US refusing to go on lockdown

loving idiots

Where does it rank in density

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We don't talk about that zoux. We just talk about it being the third largest city in case people from Chicago are around - which I got to do recently in a bar in Chicago, pointing out that we were a better counterweight to NY an LA, because Chicago lacked truly American cultural institutions like the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, or, for example, Lakewood Church.

"Blue man group and them SNL fellers? I ain't lookin' down er nuthin', but I just cain't see it y'all dang."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

it doesn't fuckin matter, does it

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
I thought Houston had gone into lockdown. Schools and restaurants are closed now, right, which is a hell of a lot more than London has been doing, with its sardine subway epidemic nightmare.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

I thought Houston had gone into lockdown. Schools and restaurants are closed now, right, which is a hell of a lot more than London has been doing, with its sardine subway epidemic nightmare.

i think "lockdown" is referring to the "stay at home" orders given by several other cities

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not a lockdown, there have just been a ton of things ordered closed - bars, restaurants, etc - and then a lot of corporate stuff (and some local) has changed rules to be either open for pickup or whatever. Also, gatherings are banned.

Here's an idea of some of the non-critical stuff that's already gone, either due to the rules or just voluntarily:

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/covid-19-cancellations

Technically, though, you're allowed to roam around, go to grocery stores, get your car washed, tailgate, shoot skeet, buy lumber and so on as long as you social distance and don't congregate in groups of 10 or more.

From what I can see, the primary transmission vector for this poo poo is going to be lines of hoarders at Walmart, Kroger, Whole Foods, HEB, etc. Like with many groupings, if so, a largely victimless crime, one can assume.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I mean even places on "lockdown" still have grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants, etc. open, and people are still allowed to go to them. The only real difference I think is the emphasis, as nothing is really being enforced beyond fines.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

it doesn't fuckin matter, does it

What

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

already hit the acceptance phase

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My sources in the Governor's office tell me pressure is mounting to declare a statewide stay-at-home ordinance.

https://twitter.com/MorrisReports/status/1241815798613770241

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nursing students in final year who haven't passed exams can now practice as full nurses

multiple patients will be allowed per hospital room, if i heard that correctly (this seems bad)

nothing about a lockdown yet in the presser

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I tried watching the presser, but listening to Abbot talk for an extended period is painful

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a site that compiles state-by-state testing data

In terms of total tests, we're seeing about a 5% positive test rate, compared to 22% in NY

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
IANAEpidemiologist, but I had wondered how much having a more spread out non-concentric zone pattern city structure, along with a large suburban / exurban (not to mention rural) population would alter the dynamics of how it spreads. Granted, I go to Walmart in bumblefuck nowhere along with a few hundred other people and someone coughs on me, that's no different than walking around Manhattan or something in terms of proximity, but it feels like I would, by the nature of the way our communities are set up, come into contact with an overall much smaller group of people over the course of a week, who would, themselves come into contact with an overall much smaller group of people over the course of a week, than I would back in Bangkok or over in Brooklyn or San Francisco or whatever.

EDIT: Since they fly to Houston and I've taken it, I can shoehorn this in as Texas-adjacent, but Emirates canceled all passenger flights worldwide last night, then sort of un-canceled some, it seems. They put return dates on a bunch of them, but it's basically "indefinitely." That's peculiar to the nature of that airline to a degree, but that's pretty big. SQ is still flying, though, as is Etihad, with overall cuts.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 22, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Dallas county is now under shelter in place.

I just saw the news release I haven't seen it on Twitter yet I'll post it here when I do.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.fox4news.com/news/shelter-at-home-order-issued-for-dallas-county

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Technically goes into effect 11:59 pm Monday night.

DFW also just opened two drive-up testing sites this weekend. One at the AA Center and one somewhere else. Both have (or had) 2,400 tests and results should be back in about 3 days. I expecting there to be a “jump” in cases this week (partly due to spread and partly due to people can actually start getting tested now).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Without shelter-in-place, 400,000+ deaths in Texas.

Incidentally, heard through the grapevine today that the late Margarett McDermott's daughter has COVID. McDermott passed away last year I believe and was the ancient widow of the Texas Instruments fortune, and a big-time art collector in the Dallas area. (There's a big bridge named after her.)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/03/22/health-officials-confirm-second-covid-19-case-hidalgo-county/

Second person tested positive in Hidalgo County. Another traveling incident. The airport needs to be sanitized.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If the CDC data is correct, and we don't discover the miracle cure or whatever, at least 400,000 of us Texans are going to kick the bucket one way or the other if they don't find something. Our goal is just not to clog the system and make it worse for everyone else, heh.

hopefully they will be transplants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hiyo:

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/EO-GA_09_COVID-19_hospital_capacity_IMAGE_03-22-2020.pdf

The key phrase there is "as determined by the patient’s physician" but the intent is clear. Obviously, the conservative doctors of Texas are going to hyperventilate over this, but it seems pretty clear they're saying, "Don't clog up the beds and ICUs with poo poo you can avoid for now." I can't imagine the eventual politburo that rules after armageddon is going to come for someone doing a dental implant procedure under GA in a private clinic.