Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Doom Eternal: VEGA, the AI running logistics for you is just 100% on the same wavelength as the Doom Slayer, and it's kinda neat.
I guess in one way it's a function of Slayer never speaking, So Vega picks up on his intent immediately.

Which is an interesting change of pace from chatty AIs who are just utterly obtuse, overly wordy, never shut up, or were way way way too inspired by Shodan or Glados.

I dunno, I'm just a sucker for neat AI characters the few times they pop up.
All too often they're just an excuse to shoehorn in a terrible sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm still getting the hang of the movement in Daemon X Machina but I'm really glad I can do the super dumb but coolest mech thing, rollerblading around at full speed. It's great at giving you the sense of how fast you're going but also how well your mech handles it, spinning and pirouetting around the battlefield while you're using your boosters.

While I'm at it, the ranged weapons so far have been somewhat anemic, with rifles and pistols sounding like peashooters and firing at a glacial pace, but the melee works great for how simple and satisfying it is. Using a sword makes your robot lunge at the enemy and dealing lots of damage, even more if you get into a lock with another melee-wielding mech and win the duel. Combined with the destructible environment, it ends with moments where you go for the kill and also collapse a building on the unaware sod.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SubNat posted:

Doom Eternal: VEGA, the AI running logistics for you is just 100% on the same wavelength as the Doom Slayer, and it's kinda neat.
I guess in one way it's a function of Slayer never speaking, So Vega picks up on his intent immediately.

Which is an interesting change of pace from chatty AIs who are just utterly obtuse, overly wordy, never shut up, or were way way way too inspired by Shodan or Glados.

I dunno, I'm just a sucker for neat AI characters the few times they pop up.
All too often they're just an excuse to shoehorn in a terrible sidekick.

I havent played Eternal yet but I loved VEGA in Doom 2016, everyone else is constantly chatting your ear off about the future of humanity and powers greater than any man blah blah, and then VEGA chimes in with "hey I found some ways for you to kill even harder, here's what to do and what you'll get." Straight to the point and genuinely helpful. Love that guy :unsmith:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One little change is that while Doomslayer would just sorta wreck the UAC drones giving powerups, he's quite careful and respectful with Vega's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I love about Doom Eternal is that it isn't ashamed of being a video game. It is full of glowing power ups and ridiculous mechanics and is completely willing to go "hey yeah you're playing a video game and that is fun."

Doom 2016 wasn't terrible about this either with glowing armor and such but Eternal actually goes whole hog and it makes for an infinitely more enjoyable shooter than "I'm trying to be ~immersive~ in a game where I am a 2 ton armored death machine who survives infinite shots and carries 11 guns."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

One thing I love about Doom Eternal is that it isn't ashamed of being a video game. It is full of glowing power ups and ridiculous mechanics and is completely willing to go "hey yeah you're playing a video game and that is fun."

Doom 2016 wasn't terrible about this either with glowing armor and such but Eternal actually goes whole hog and it makes for an infinitely more enjoyable shooter than "I'm trying to be ~immersive~ in a game where I am a 2 ton armored death machine who survives infinite shots and carries 11 guns."

That's the thing that I've always respected most about the Doom games over the years. They know precisely what they are and are like "what, you expected something else? Of course this is how things are this is Doom. These are games about blowing up demons."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

At one point you literally run into spinning fire bars straight out of a Mario level.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I find that more immersive, in the sense of getting completely into the experience, than a lot of realism touches. In DOOM 2016 and especially Eternal I enter a state of flow where I’m not thinking of pressing buttons or moving sticks, I just think it and it happens. RDR2, which is the go-to “immersive” game had a lot of layers in the way, control-wise, so I was always pretty aware I was playing a game. I never really sank into it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
A Nice thing that I am discovering in Warzone 2100 is that when you use artillery it will automatically only use enough ordinance to kill something, then move on the targeting to the next thing, until they are all going to die or you need to reload. So, say, if you have 10 artillery pieces that can take down a tower in 3 hits, you can take down 3 in moments and start on the fourth without any micro. No need to worry about overkilling one thing super hard and not being able to take out its buddies, its good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing I hate with Doom Eternal is The Marauders. They're completely antithetical to DOOM because you can only hurt them when they let you rather than being allow to just pound the poo poo out of them like everything else.

The rest of it, aside from some platforming bits that could be designed a little better, is pretty drat great. I love in a lategame level that it turns out that the Doom Slayer is in fact, somehow, THE Doomguy from the original games and all he has to say is "RIP AND TEAR, KILL THE DEMONS!" :allears:

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Mar 23, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m coming around in Eternal now that I’m a few levels and and have some upgrades. The first couple of levels could use a small tweak or two but things are starting to feel great now. One touch I love is that secrets are physical things: specifics dolls, records, etc etc. Its neat seeing the Doomguy chill out room get built our Witt them as you keep playing.

Maxwell Lord posted:

One little change is that while Doomslayer would just sorta wreck the UAC drones giving powerups, he's quite careful and respectful with Vega's.

That was bothering me a bit, but it hadn’t occurred to me that they are VEGA’s drones in eternal. I think I preferred 16’s way of doing it but I like that touch.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only thing I hate with Doom Eternal is The Marauders. They're completely antithetical to DOOM because you can only hurt them when they let you rather than being allow to just pound the poo poo out of them like everything else.

They were kind of rough at first but I actually started liking the encounters once I got used to the ssg parry/ballista quickswap. There are only about six of them in the whole game and they never come at you more than one at a time so it didn't really feel unfair. People complain about the dogs a lot but you can destroy them easily with a ssg blast which you should have out while fighting them anyway.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Because Interact and Melee are the same button I usually punch things several times before lining up correctly to interact with them. Normally I'd complain, except it feels appropriate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked in Doom Eternal finding the hidden, non collectible and serves no purpose rabbits in every stage. Combine that with the penultimate boss desperately trying to appease you by bringing it back for you is one of Doom 5's funniest jokes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They were kind of rough at first but I actually started liking the encounters once I got used to the ssg parry/ballista quickswap. There are only about six of them in the whole game and they never come at you more than one at a time so it didn't really feel unfair. People complain about the dogs a lot but you can destroy them easily with a ssg blast which you should have out while fighting them anyway.

Ammo for the shotgun, especially the SSG sucks rear end even with it maxed out though. If you don't have full ammo, you're gonna have a bad time of fighting them because it expects you to be able to functionally Blunderbuss them on-demand like they're a Bloodborne enemy. It's bad gameplay design, especially when several are in Secret Encounters where you can't top up ammo easily.

The Lone Badger posted:

Because Interact and Melee are the same button I usually punch things several times before lining up correctly to interact with them. Normally I'd complain, except it feels appropriate.

There's an achievement for doing this to a Slayer Gate :allears:.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ammo for the shotgun, especially the SSG sucks rear end even with it maxed out though. If you don't have full ammo, you're gonna have a bad time of fighting them because it expects you to be able to functionally Blunderbuss them on-demand like they're a Bloodborne enemy. It's bad gameplay design, especially when several are in Secret Encounters where you can't top up ammo easily.

I never really used the SSG much so it was always at full ammo whenever a marauder showed up anyway. If you use it a lot the rocket launcher with remote detonate is roughly as good for getting them to stagger and that way you don't even have to worry about the green eyes parry. Most of the damage seems to come from getting the followup ballista shot, getting the stagger/shot combo four times was good enough to kill them on nightmare. If you're out of health/armor/ammo the game always has a fodder zombie wandering around to refill whatever you need.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm only 2 or 3 hours into Eternal right now. One of the things I love is seeing building sized demons hanging out in the distance amid equally huge wrecked Gundams. No spoilers but I hope I can get into one of those Gundams and gently caress poo poo up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love in a lategame level that it turns out that the Doom Slayer is in fact, somehow, THE Doomguy from the original games
I had always assumed that to be the case anyway. Why would he not be?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I had always assumed that to be the case anyway. Why would he not be?

On that note, one thing I loved in Doom 2016 is how the lore describes different eons of hell. The Slayer first appeared in the First Era, certain enemies came out of the Second Era, some stuff happened in the Third Era and we're now in the cycle of events during the Fourth Era. It neatly matches the order of the games, and makes you feel cool when exploring old sections of hell at the end of the game. "Ah, clearly this architecture is reminiscent of the Second Age, beautiful examples of both the Tricks and Traps school of design and the Dead Simple philosophy..."

In Eternal, I lost it at Doomguy's bookcase. My Friend Superfly - by Hiro Miyamoto And King Ormero, first of his name and architect of the great demon slaying order, was a nice touch too...

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Another Doom Eternal touch that I like is the animation of the doors in the Slayer's sanctuary.

They're mechanised doors that, when they start to open, make the non-door spaces look like furious, glowering eyes. As the doors open fully, those "eyes" look like they widen in shock/horror of having the slayer in front of them.

I have described that really badly, but hopefully I got the point across. Failing that I'll try and capture footage of it later.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Capcom's Hearthstone-like crossover game, Teppen, has a really smart pick for their hero characters for their defensive and healer-focused decks. I feel like 'healer' kits in these sorts of games suffer sort of an aesthetic cost, they naturally lean towards a look that doesn't really grab attention compared to more interesting other members of a lineup. I'm not really going to go into a game like that blind and pick a druid or priest, I want to go for something flashier, and basically everything else is going to be flashier.

Teppen doesn't have that problem, because one of their spearhead healer heroes is loving Mega Man X. They break down that 'but healers aren't cool' problem really well by giving it a face and an initial lineup of Super Fighting Robots, I've never played a game that's made me want to go healer so fast.

Also, apparently one of the cards from the latest set is Ashley from Resident Evil 4 in a suit of armor. So that's fun, too.

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?
Nioh 2

Equipping an item to your shortcut menu, then running out of said item no longer completely unequips that item from the shortcut. If you pick up more of that item later it'll be mapped to the same shortcut as long as you didn't change it. Seems small, but this is a revelation to a giant man-child like me who is scared of every enemy and chucks bombs like a lunatic. In dark souls I'd use up all my firebombs, pick up some more, forget to equip them and then panic when I suddenly have to play the game as intended.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Realm of the Dead actually gets pretty hard later on as it throws a lot of the harder enemy types at you all at once form chapter 5. It's intense, but interesting. It helps that nothing has too much health, you do an appreciable chunk of damage to an enemy's life bar depending on the move you use, it just becomes important to play more defensively.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Haven't played the game, have only seen cutscenes, but I don't like how now they're verbatim quoting the Doom comic instead of throwing in a cute reference like in the first one with the Rip and Tear. Feels too much like I'm getting elbow nudged.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

When you pull a cacodemon's eye out it makes a popping sound like you just uncorked a wine bottle

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The muted thump fish make when you accidentally ram the seamoth into them in Subnautica remains bizarrely satisfying.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

When you pull a cacodemon's eye out it makes a popping sound like you just uncorked a wine bottle

There’s also a cartoony gulping noise when they eat one of your grenades. Cacodemons are one big joke and the sound design knows it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anytime a pause screen shows a pair of paws.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The snails tucking in and rolling off rocks when you run past them in Animal Crossing:New Horizons.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bussamove posted:

There’s also a cartoony gulping noise when they eat one of your grenades. Cacodemons are one big joke and the sound design knows it.

Like crabs in any David Attenborough documentary?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bussamove posted:

I think they would've been better without the ram attack, because they can just wind up in your face a little too much. But it's always satisfying to watch the fuckers gulp down a grenade and both the window and hitbox for feeding them is VERY generous.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The hit box seems to be their entire body while their mouth is open, which is most of the time. Shotgun grenades also seem to have a ton of magnetism on top of that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My biggest problem with cacodemons is the delay between grenade and vulnerable you have to wait before punching otherwise you blood punch instead.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

small ghost posted:

The muted thump fish make when you accidentally ram the seamoth into them in Subnautica remains bizarrely satisfying.

That's the biggest jump scare in the game :(

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Phy posted:

Like crabs in any David Attenborough documentary?

Hugo Martin has no respect for Cacodemons. Always gives them ridiculous sound effects. They are jesters to him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hugo Martin has no respect for Cacodemons. Always gives them ridiculous sound effects. They are jesters to him.

More like cackle-demons, amiright?!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In Nioh 2, there's attacks that can inflict a Stink status effect, where you smell so bad that your healing with weaker because you can barely choke down your potions.

There's also graves that mark where other players died like Dark Souls bloodstains. These graves have little text that tells you how the player died like "So-and-so was cut down by a rogue" and stuff like that.

If you get killed by an attack that inflicts Stink, your epitaph just says "Died tragically" to preserve your dignity.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
They're selling Just cause 2 on steam for £0.99 i thought i'd buy it and didn't expect it to run very well on my computer.

Holy hell this game is loving smooth i can't believe it,and what a thrilling opening,i'm so into this!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

They're selling Just cause 2 on steam for £0.99 i thought i'd buy it and didn't expect it to run very well on my computer.

Holy hell this game is loving smooth i can't believe it,and what a thrilling opening,i'm so into this!

Be sure to drop some pennies on the Black Market Aerial Pack DLC. The parachute thrusters make traveling around using your parachute and grappling hook effective and a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

grittyreboot posted:

When you punch a zombieman's head into their chest cavity, it apparently makes a faint squeaky toy sound. I never noticed that because I'm always too busy laughing at the stupid :saddowns: face they make during that animation.