Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Tribal start with Medieval Times and RimCuisine for early food management is a really enjoyable start. Trick to Medieval Times is to add it on after world generation so there's no medieval raiders wearing seventy million pieces of gear, just the normal factions with maybe some socks or gloves added on. A year in and I'm not even up to electricity yet, so food management and preservation is the major concern and it's actually more fun than just blitzing to refrigerators and building a freezer with solar/wind sources.

Super not a fan of being 8 days in to spring after having spent the 7 days of acceptable temperatures with half my total population sowing plants every available moment then seeing a cold snap kill most of what I've put down. That's gonna suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is putting psychite tea into social drugs a bad idea?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Tribal start with Medieval Times and RimCuisine for early food management is a really enjoyable start. Trick to Medieval Times is to add it on after world generation so there's no medieval raiders wearing seventy million pieces of gear, just the normal factions with maybe some socks or gloves added on. A year in and I'm not even up to electricity yet, so food management and preservation is the major concern and it's actually more fun than just blitzing to refrigerators and building a freezer with solar/wind sources.

Super not a fan of being 8 days in to spring after having spent the 7 days of acceptable temperatures with half my total population sowing plants every available moment then seeing a cold snap kill most of what I've put down. That's gonna suck.

I'm doing a medieval run right now and planted nothing but slow-growing corn on my second batch of harvesting. Got a cold snap in the fall that killed it all when it was literally 98% done. Could not have been worse.

Thankfully food hasn't actually been an issue through the winter. Plenty of stuff to hunt on the marsh biome I'm in and the cold keeps it frozen.

Jose posted:

Psychite tea is the best drug. It's the only one I use most of the time since it has no downsides, isn't very addictive, and is easy to make. I like setting it to once every 2 days when below 35 mood.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 22, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jose posted:

No, it's a very good idea, but schedule it for only once every two days to avoid psychite addiction, which is very bad.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Vargs posted:

I'm doing a medieval run right now and planted nothing but slow-growing corn on my second batch of harvesting. Got a cold snap in the fall that killed it all when it was literally 98% done. Could not have been worse.

The second you get the cold snap notification, set every pawn to cut plants priority 1 and adjust other tasks if necessary. Better a failed harvest than one killed by the cold.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

The second you get the cold snap notification, set every pawn to cut plants priority 1 and adjust other tasks if necessary. Better a failed harvest than one killed by the cold.

I had my nearby farmer try that out but she got maybe 5 plants before they died, unfortunately.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vargs posted:

I had my nearby farmer try that out but she got maybe 5 plants before they died, unfortunately.

You're just hoping to salvage a few before the whole thing is trashed. Don't expect too much.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jose posted:

The only downside to psychite tea is that you could be using that psychite to make Yayo instead. Yayo is a great trade good and a lot of traders will take it, similar to smokeleaf (but better).

Yayo is also a decent panic button since it gives a big mood boost, reduces tiredness/pain, and increases movement speed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What's wrong with this dude's room? Bastard's lucky there's no "Harvest Ear" option, he's been a whiny little bitch for like a year now while all my other settlers are pretty happy

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Did someone bust in while he was sleeping, to clean or eat at his table?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hrm. Maybe.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arrath posted:

Did someone bust in while he was sleeping, to clean or eat at his table?

This is why you shouldn't put tables and chairs in bedrooms, by the way.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Cease to Hope posted:

This is why you shouldn't put tables and chairs in bedrooms, by the way.

Yeah, I tried putting them in rooms a bit, but noticed that a lot of times colonists would decide to go eat lunch there instead of walking an additional 5 steps down to the extra-luxurious dining room and getting the mood boost from passing through there. Not to mention potentially disturbing the sleep of ones set to night schedules.

Edit: One weird trick I've found is that a throne room can also act as a dining room, and if colonists eat there they still get the mood boost. My current fort is located in a cold desert with no vegetation except for maybe two or three cacti that grow every year, so I stuck a throne in there due to having to build everything from stone. Seems to be working well so far.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 23, 2020

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Tables count as gathering spots unless you turn them off.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

One option is to give the colonists actual apartments, with tables and chairs in a living room, but then you're gonna have to gently caress around and make both the living room and the bedroom luxurious, so it's probably gonna be a bother unless you've got more than enough resources and space.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't know if its still possible to do, but I would make mega rooms that had a barracks, rec room and dining room all in one room. When barracks get so high in value they offset the "woken up during sleep" debuff. And since its all one room you don't have to make individual rooms and pretty them up, which can keep your colony value low.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Finally got the expansion and got a quest to house some dude and his homies for 8 days... and one dude was an asthmatic 98 year old with cataracts and alzheimers who would smoke a joint and just pass the gently caress out on the spot. He ended up becoming bedridden for the better part of their stay and as the shuttle is arriving he gets in a bad mood and I fail the quest. Now he just stays in my bed! gently caress off old man!

I love this game.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
See peoples complain about "Disturbed sleep" or "Ate without table" in the Rimworld thread. -15

Mental break: Shitpost in the Games forum.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's kind of annoying that apparently modders have to individually flag all of their floor types as counting for noble demands or something, given that in my current save literally zero of my floors except the stupidly expensive and slow fine floors count as satisfying a loving esquire's requirement for a dignified room and throne room.

I even tested by god mode building pretty much every floor possible and none of them got the esquire to shut up except the fine ones.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I just lock my pawns rooms :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kanos posted:

It's kind of annoying that apparently modders have to individually flag all of their floor types as counting for noble demands or something, given that in my current save literally zero of my floors except the stupidly expensive and slow fine floors count as satisfying a loving esquire's requirement for a dignified room and throne room.

I even tested by god mode building pretty much every floor possible and none of them got the esquire to shut up except the fine ones.

The vanilla brick floors should be good enough up to Baron

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sab669 posted:

What's wrong with this dude's room? Bastard's lucky there's no "Harvest Ear" option, he's been a whiny little bitch for like a year now while all my other settlers are pretty happy

yeah, but they're a tortured artist, it's arguable whether you want to keep them in minor break range so they have a daze or something and then have a 50% chance of triggering a creative inspiration after they snap out of it.

The only colonist whom I've ever set to no recreation and paste only (while everyone else ate fine meals) was my tortured artist so they'd have a tantrum then a creative burst. Literally everyone else living a utopia while that woman was constantly suffering in order to make fancy silver statues, lmao.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

The vanilla brick floors should be good enough up to Baron

Yeah, I tried those, but I think one of my mods is overwriting the vanilla flooring options. I still have basic wood, stone, and metal floors as options to build but they don't count.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Nalesh posted:

I just lock my pawns rooms :v:

Same, the addon that allows you to lock the door for all but the resident of the room is a lifesaver.

Unfortunately it doesn't work well with Rimworld of Magic and pawns that have Blink set to auto-cast, since they tend to blink into rooms when heading towards a destination and then can't blink out again, probably because the logic requires them to pathfind towards their destination, and they can't do that when locked inside someone else's room. That's caused a few awkward situations in my game :v:

Like having them pee on the floor while the couple living in the room are having a lovin' session because the nearby bathroom is only for the residents of the room. Then again I'm sure some of the colonists get off on that, so who am I to judge?

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 23, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Accidently teleporting into someone's room when taking a shortcut during morning commute and then not being able to get out is an extremely rimworld thing to do. :allears:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

What's the mod that lets you uninstall more stuff? loving up placement of fabrication benches and hi-tech benches and not realizing until a year later is so annoying.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

More questions :downs: I have an (outdoor) Stockpile that ONLY allows Kibble. I have indoor, refrigerated stockpiles that DO NOT allow Kibble. Why can't I move the Kibble that was previously placed indoors to the outdoor one, and how can I feed my doggo without allowing him access to the whole fridge?

My IRL dog already breaks into my fridge and eats my food, I don't need my digital canine doing the same poo poo.

e; I do have the dog assigned to an Area that does not allow access to the fridge - I just can't figure out how to "serve" the kibble to the dog.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 23, 2020

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Doublecheck both stockpiles, either sounds like you forgot to disable kibble in the indoor stockpile and its priority is higher, or you forgot to add kibble to the dogzone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Sab669 posted:

More questions :downs: I have an (outdoor) Stockpile that ONLY allows Kibble. I have indoor, refrigerated stockpiles that DO NOT allow Kibble. Why can't I move the Kibble that was previously placed indoors to the outdoor one, and how can I feed my doggo without allowing him access to the whole fridge?

My IRL dog already breaks into my fridge and eats my food, I don't need my digital canine doing the same poo poo.

e; I do have the dog assigned to an Area that does not allow access to the fridge - I just can't figure out how to "serve" the kibble to the dog.

Assuming the stockpiles are actually configured as you think, try selecting your hauler and right clicking the kibble as if you were forcing the hauling job - if there's a zoning issue or something it should tell you.

Also keep in mind that while kibble has no expiration it still deteriorates outdoors, so you might want to construct a shed for it.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Also check to see you got the stockpile to allow fresh. Whenever I have food stockpile problems that's usually why.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

What's the mod that lets you uninstall more stuff? loving up placement of fabrication benches and hi-tech benches and not realizing until a year later is so annoying.

If you just want to move a thing or two you can just turn on dev mode long enough to god mode build the things in the new spot rather than adding another mod to your load.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=872762753

I'm liking the new DLC so far. One small change I would make is that only the highest ranking noble should want a throne room, but keep the other stuff.

Does anyone know if you can sell prisoners for favour at imperial settlements? I've been taking some prisoners for the tribute collector, but I know have more prisoners than colonists lol.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Does anyone know if you can sell prisoners for favour at imperial settlements? I've been taking some prisoners for the tribute collector, but I know have more prisoners than colonists lol.

No, just tested it right now; it's a regular trade for silver.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just had a raid where all 6-7 people had guns and didn't go through the place i'm trying to funnel them. Meanwhile my colonists had the single revolver and rifle they started with ffs

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Jose posted:

Just had a raid where all 6-7 people had guns and didn't go through the place i'm trying to funnel them. Meanwhile my colonists had the single revolver and rifle they started with ffs

Sounds like you made it too easy for them to avoid your death funnel. Might have a gap in your wall somewhere

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Stopped overthinking it and figured out Centralized Climate Control and god it's great. Being able to put down freezers wherever I want is a godsend.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jose posted:

I lost a colony this way b/c I was making 30 hats for a quest and got like 4 loving masterworks. Rifle, pistol, knife vs 6 automatic weapons with a lack of traps (it was the second or third raid)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

Sounds like you made it too easy for them to avoid your death funnel. Might have a gap in your wall somewhere

granite doors and walls all way round and then a path to a wooden door but no it decided to smash right through a granite/wood double wall

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jose posted:

granite doors and walls all way round and then a path to a wooden door but no it decided to smash right through a granite/wood double wall

Just leave the wooden door open or delete it. Its not really doing you any good anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jose posted:

They will revert to smashing if you don't leave them a path through open air. You can't completely encircle your base with walls and doors.

Barricades and traps are fine, but a closed door is not an open path into your base.