Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Happy New Year!
This poll is closed.
Happy New Year! 38 22.22%
This year's going to suck too! 78 45.61%
Wait, it's still 2019! 17 9.94%
Zzzzzzzzzz 38 22.22%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

that makes me wonder, has there ever been a newspaper comic as good as calvin and hobbes since it ended

Cul-de-sac was excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

one of the things I'm most worried about is my favorite japanese and chinese restaurants going out of business because of it. one is closed indefinitely, maybe for good already, and the other won't reopen until april 6th at the earliest. both are small family-run businesses so I hope they're ok, I was going to make some big orders with them and give the owners a few hundred bucks extra to help them out but I can't do that since they're both shut down at the moment.
I made a big order at my favorite little Mexican restaurant for the same reason.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cuntellectual posted:

I get super bored spending all day by myself, so I can relate.

Anime, video games, etc, don't really do anything for me anymore.
I don't know much about your situation, so maybe nothing I say will matter and I apologize if any of this reads tone-deaf as gently caress, but mixing up activities/multi-tasking sometimes works. For example:
  • Ever since like mid-to-late 2010, I've been practicing guitar/violin while watching 2 anime episodes just for warm-up. Nothing fancy, just basic-rear end sweeping exercises, running through the strings, string-skipping, friendly-neighborhood arpeggios, spider-chords, different forms of legato, triplets. You do 40 to 44 minutes of that and your hands are gonna feel real nimble and ready to play/write some righteous motherfucking tunes! Plus you get to see a smart-aleck gremlin get herself punched for running her big dumb mouth while practicing your craft! :allears:
  • When posting (even poo poo-posting!), I usually listen to music. It helps. Even if it's repetitive sometimes or not the greatest ever, a solid track can help you gather your thoughts real quick.
  • Since I have no real gaming console out of their box (I have a Switch and a PS2, but the Switch basically spends all the time in its portable bag and the PS2 has been in its box since like 2018), I game the most when I'm fixing my room. Like once I sweep under my bed, I start leading Chrom and them Shepherds through a battle/skirmish. Once I clean my toilet, I play a screen from one of the Hotline Miami games or something-like-that. I occasionally play on my computers, but since I already work from home both as a recording engineer plus software developer, I usually try to at least to stay the gently caress away from it for a few hours a day.
  • Whenever I take my dogs for a walk, I usually jog/run with them with music. Hip-hop, synthwave, post-rock or some other sweet-rear end tunes blasting while getting my jog on.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's great being told to hole up in my place officially, when that is what I would do normally if given the chance.

I'm sure I'll get stir crazy in a month or two, but it's nice right now

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cuntellectual posted:

I get super bored spending all day by myself, so I can relate.

Anime, video games, etc, don't really do anything for me anymore.

Have you considered doing some writing/drawing? Having a creative outlet can be both a good outlet for stress as well as feel really uplifting. Even if it's a silly hobby.

You could also use the time to study/learn how to do something new as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GorfZaplen posted:

I made a big order at my favorite little Mexican restaurant for the same reason.
oh I just mean buying some food plus handing them a few hundred bucks on top of that. chinese food doesn't have the best of margins, right? plus it's a little lady and her kids/like two other people, I just wanna help them out since they always do stuff like give me the leftover beef and broccoli sauce when I make orders. that poo poo is amazing on some rice and veggies.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

necroing a thread with some very important info: a new group has started doing cooking papa! https://mangadex.org/chapter/836041/1

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Garfield Will Die In 100 Days

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Garfield will easily outlive all of us

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DoubleDonut posted:

No need to undersell it. Garfield will outlive our grandchildren.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Waffleman_ posted:

thank loving god

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Has Garfield ever truly lived?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Has Garfield ever truly lived?

Garfield is more alive than any of us.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

*cocks gun* and I'm the one that will do it

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bill Murray already killed Garfield no need.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

oh I just mean buying some food plus handing them a few hundred bucks on top of that. chinese food doesn't have the best of margins, right? plus it's a little lady and her kids/like two other people, I just wanna help them out since they always do stuff like give me the leftover beef and broccoli sauce when I make orders. that poo poo is amazing on some rice and veggies.

Outer Seattle areas adapted fast. Couple of my favorites popped up on Uber Eats or the other one just this past week or so, including my Chinese place but not my Thai place yet. Hope it holds them up for the time being. All the drivers are just doing drop-and-knock now, which is fine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ranzear posted:

Outer Seattle areas adapted fast. Couple of my favorites popped up on Uber Eats or the other one just this past week or so, including my Chinese place but not my Thai place yet. Hope it holds them up for the time being. All the drivers are just doing drop-and-knock now, which is fine.
yeah, this is in a massachusetts town that looks like it's stuck in the 60's architecture-wise with terribly maintained roads and an atmosphere of crippling depression. this place was on grubhub but I don't think are anymore. I really hope this is a temporary closure.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Garfield Will Die In 900 Days

Do I seriously need to explain to you guys how cats work

Edit: I forgot "Nine Lives of Garfield" confirmed Garfield is on his second to last life. 200 days, whatever.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Clarste posted:

Not gonna lie, my life has been exactly the same in every way since the lock-down.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I feel bad I can't go support my favorite teriyaki shop since my work closed down for the rest of the month.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/senpinecone/status/1239945287323525123

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cuntellectual posted:

How do people not get insanely bored being at home all day

reading the doomsday econ and coronavirus threads

also, shitpoasting.

here's some corona sponsored content:

normally at this time of year poo poo's all fogged/clouded to gently caress due to smog. not this year :smugdog:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh man yeah I just realized that all the smog from the US wont be drifting up here this spring/summer at this rate. Going outside could be really cool if I survive being on the front lines of this pandemic. :toot:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Speaking of Evangelion, has anyone made a "Congratulations" parody of the stock ticker yet

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

this is next level

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

is this what they call relationship goals

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Truga posted:

reading the doomsday econ and coronavirus threads

also, shitpoasting.

here's some corona sponsored content:

normally at this time of year poo poo's all fogged/clouded to gently caress due to smog. not this year :smugdog:

It's kinda funny because the outdoor foot traffic has barely changed because of CV because everything is coated in icy and there's nobody outside anyways.

I'm sick of ice and snow. :sigh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DoubleDonut posted:

YES. Last night me and my SO purchased a two-floor Carrot cake.

We haven't made a proper dent on it because we're wusses but it was so loving delicious.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DoubleDonut posted:

I've read like 20 chapters of this in the last 2 days and I'm shocked that it did not suck, given the premise. Josei superiority.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cuntellectual posted:

It's kinda funny because the outdoor foot traffic has barely changed because of CV because everything is coated in icy and there's nobody outside anyways.

I'm sick of ice and snow. :sigh:

Imagine how cold it's going to be this year with the drop in carbon emissions

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Imagine how cold it's going to be this year with the drop in carbon emissions
I'm tired of Northeast Mexico only having like 20 cold days across the year. I welcome longer winters.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I'm tired of Northeast Mexico only having like 20 cold days across the year. I welcome longer winters.

We got like two feet of snow in October and it's been cold ever since.

Julias posted:

Have you considered doing some writing/drawing? Having a creative outlet can be both a good outlet for stress as well as feel really uplifting. Even if it's a silly hobby.

You could also use the time to study/learn how to do something new as well.

That's probably the best idea, I'm awful at learning new skills though. I've wanted to learn to draw for awhile, now's as good a time as any.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Move to the great lakes region! Then you too can enjoy 5-6 months of below zero temperatures, windchills below -40C, 6 hours of sunlight a day, and 200+cm of annual snow.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Move to the great lakes region! Then you too can enjoy 5-6 months of below zero temperatures, windchills below -40C, 6 hours of sunlight a day, and 200+cm of annual snow.
Don't I absolutely need to be English-French bilingual to reside in Ontario/Quebec, tho'? Because gently caress it, I might do it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You only need to be bilingual to work for the Canadian government, Ontario is fully anglo and Québec plenty of anglo neighbourhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com