Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Maybe I just had a really good Yuri, but after putting him through Assassin and Trickster, most enemies had <10% hit chances on him, and he was critting them left and right. Added a Levin Sword + for ranged attacks and he was doing great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am currently using the Ashen Wolves in my run, so here's my two cents (as of punching Miklan in the face):

--Yuri is solid. I like his purple color scheme a lot on some of the other classes, so he at least has some good outfits. Other than that...he's having to compete with Ashe and Petra for the "pop a chest open" club, and both are doing much better than Yuri has.
--Constance is okay. I think she's getting hit with the RNG bat because she's slowly picking up stats (read: most levels have been 2-3 stats) so far, but I will say her red/turquoise color scheme is very pretty. Also, why is her hidden talent in Brawling?
--Balthus hits things fairly well. His speed stat is extremely worrisome (8 speed at level 12), so I might have bolster that up by grinding his sword rank to pass Thief for those speed boosts.
--Hapi is oddly the most consistent. I've been supporting her with Balthus, so his lack of speed means he can't double often, but Hapi can slide on over to clean up and get levels. And I absolutely won't say no to another Physic user, so she has that going for her.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Constance has a large spell roster, which is useful if you need another Lysie nuke for Dark Flier (Since that class relies heavily on a big spell list to last the entire battle).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AradoBalanga posted:

--Constance is okay. I think she's getting hit with the RNG bat because she's slowly picking up stats (read: most levels have been 2-3 stats) so far, but I will say her red/turquoise color scheme is very pretty. Also, why is her hidden talent in Brawling?

War Cleric is probably the class with the fewest good candidates, since anyone with a brawling talent has poor to terrible magic, except Byleth, whose magic is passable. The other Abyss classes have a handful of obvious candidates.

Constance is the only caster-type with a potential brawling talent, and she's pretty good at it once she can wield the Aura Knuckles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am like in Chapter 17... I have been enjoying the game a lot but now I kind of want to just automate everything and blow through the story missions? Am I gonna miss anything big?

The only thing I am really doing in the monastery is setting characters I never use on lunch dates to build up their supports

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Post timeskip the school has almost literally nothing in it. That said i would tell you to talk to all the party members after every mission, theres some good dialogue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lol why do Seteth and Alois have so many supports with people do people actually use them

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Seteth owns

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Seteth is one of the best characters in the game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Seteth is the best class in the game by default, has good stats, and is also a good character that everyone should like and want to use. He is almost perfect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sure he may be good gameplay wise, but he seems like a doofus and the whole father pretending to be his daughter's brother is... what

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Him being a doofus is the best part of him though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Alois is great because a brawler is always handy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've similarly been sort of rushing now in the last few chapters of Part 1 because I had watched a video or two on pre-timeskip game and just really wanna get to the cool new stuff I'm 100% blind on. I've had absolutely no issues with any missions thus far, my Golden Deer are a bunch of shitwreckers and it's pretty great.

Although I will say that with regards to the big Chapter 11 Twist: The absolute complete lack of any real reaction from the Golden Deer is pretty sad when the other two houses got full cutscenes for it. Talk about getting ripped off.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Seteth's supports are amazing.

Alois' supports are much weaker, but they're still cute, and he's a perfectly usable character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the prepromotes are pretty good in this game. even hanneman and manuela have access to rare spells

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people like seteth a lot

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Manuela is the best character. She’s the Mrs Krabapple of FE.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sure he may be good gameplay wise, but he seems like a doofus and the whole father pretending to be his daughter's brother is... what

Makes sense to me, Flayn looks like she’s fourteen and Seteth probably isn’t meant to look older than his early twenties so it stands out more if they claim to be daughter/father. Plus it’s supposed to throw people off, which is important given you get birthday notifications for them on Saint Cichol/Cethlehann(?) Day

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Alois is garbage with nothing important to make him good.

Seteth joins in the best class in the game, after the timeskip, where you've made everyone into the best class in the game already.

His personal skill is pretty great but he's too late in the game and doesn't have all the masteries that your kids will have picked up in Phase 1.

Catherine and Shamir work because they get a tonne of extra levels in high growth classes and Catherine has Thunderbrand which is a completely fair and balanced item.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I use Seteth because I like him, he’s in a good class, he has good bases and growths, and because I wanna.

...I’ve never been able to make Hanneman and Manuela work though, even though I ground them to Dark Knight and Gremory this playthrough.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Alois is great because a brawler is always handy.
gently caress you and reported

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hanneman and Manuela don't really have any selling points compared to the student casters outside of eventually picking up Meteor and Warp, respectively. They're viable if you don't have enough recruits to fill all the caster slots you want, which is the use case for most Church characters. I used Alois in my first playthrough because I wanted a second War Master and hadn't recruited Raphael.

Seteth gets the best deal, because there's no such thing as too many wyvern riders unless you want there to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, I made fine use of Manuela in my last game - I abandoned magic and had her go Swordmaster (her STR is actually equal to her MAG and she has a strength in swords), and she wasn't terrible. Had to feed her some STR boosters to keep up, but what she really has going for her is a blazing speed so she's really good at doubling enemies, even faster enemies or when using heavier swords.

FETH has a surfeit of good beatsticks, but Manuela's workable if you want to use her.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hanneman and Manuela don't really have any selling points compared to the student casters outside of eventually picking up Meteor and Warp, respectively. They're viable if you don't have enough recruits to fill all the caster slots you want, which is the use case for most Church characters. I used Alois in my first playthrough because I wanted a second War Master and hadn't recruited Raphael.

Seteth gets the best deal, because there's no such thing as too many wyvern riders unless you want there to be.

Before the latest dlc she was also your only shot at bolting unless you wanted hilda to mage it up for whatever reason. It required going uphill against a weakness, but especially after the sauna it was doable.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Cythereal posted:

Eh, I made fine use of Manuela in my last game - I abandoned magic and had her go Swordmaster (her STR is actually equal to her MAG and she has a strength in swords), and she wasn't terrible. Had to feed her some STR boosters to keep up, but what she really has going for her is a blazing speed so she's really good at doubling enemies, even faster enemies or when using heavier swords.

FETH has a surfeit of good beatsticks, but Manuela's workable if you want to use her.

Seconding this; my current CF run was minimal recruitment and Manuela (and Hanneman!) have both risen to the occasion. I made her a trickster and she rocks poo poo w/ a Levin sword +.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I haven't really used any of the additional people outside of Linhardt who I poached to my class and while he's been fine he's still behind the rest of my class that I was able to teach from day 1. I poached Ingrid last minute and she somehow joined as a Pegasus Knight with a D in Flying which is extraordinarily useless. Thanks for taking your studies seriously lady.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nah, it's that Manuela and Hanneman are too busy gallivating off to help with your random bandit fights to teach their students well.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
wish i could unrecruit people

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Well there's always the classic method. TRIAL BY DEVIL AXE CRESTLESS HERO RELIC*

*3H still has devil axe. Also I don't think either can actually kill you in 3H. But tradition!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've similarly been sort of rushing now in the last few chapters of Part 1 because I had watched a video or two on pre-timeskip game and just really wanna get to the cool new stuff I'm 100% blind on. I've had absolutely no issues with any missions thus far, my Golden Deer are a bunch of shitwreckers and it's pretty great.

Although I will say that with regards to the big Chapter 11 Twist: The absolute complete lack of any real reaction from the Golden Deer is pretty sad when the other two houses got full cutscenes for it. Talk about getting ripped off.
As much as I like my dorks in Golden Deer, it's become very clear that their route got the shaft hard in terms of development. At least the group is fun and enjoyable, even if they got less than what the other houses got.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AradoBalanga posted:

As much as I like my dorks in Golden Deer, it's become very clear that their route got the shaft hard in terms of development. At least the group is fun and enjoyable, even if they got less than what the other houses got.

The Golden Deer *definitely* didn't get the shaft on their route.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Natural 20 posted:

I think they have one glaring moment: Edelgard's death was very clearly intended for Silver Snow, or an earlier version of the game's story that intended the player and Byleth to become close with all three lords before the route split.

Other than that, I think the Deer route is just different from the others in that it's a relatively breezy, light-hearted adventure as opposed to the grim war saga of competing visions, the costs of those ideals, and the terrible things that have happened to people that characterizes the other three routes.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I really would have liked to see what GD route could look like with enough dev time/resources to get it's 'own' story.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

In terms of the team doing stuff, yes. Nearly all of the Golden Deer get a chance to actually speak during cutscenes, with Raphael probably being involved the least. Everyone does things and interacts like a group of friends. Compare to say, Felix and Dedue (if recruited) being pushed to the background in Azure Moon after a certain point. It also doesn't help that Claude didn't get properly localized (for a lack of better words), as a lot of his characterization in Part II gets muddled or lost in translation. Then, a recent Nintendo Dream interview straight up dropped Claude's real name as being Khalid, something that'd probably be a big thing to come up in the story.

At the same time, going through the Silver Snow path with a light-hearted tone does at least make it stand out and be enjoyable. I just wish it didn't have to resort to stuff like killing Dimitri (and Gilbert, more or less) off-screen or underplaying the Almyra connection Claude has to get the job done.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

At the same time, going through the Silver Snow path with a light-hearted tone does at least make it stand out and be enjoyable. I just wish it didn't have to resort to stuff like killing Dimitri (and Gilbert, more or less) off-screen or underplaying the Almyra connection Claude has to get the job done.

lol I just finished Chapter 17 as Golden Deer and that's not a fakeout? I thought for sure Hilda saying "I totally saw him get stabbed from faraway he's definitely dead" and then cutting to Dedue going "I will continue the fight" was gonna set up a twist

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol I just finished Chapter 17 as Golden Deer and that's not a fakeout? I thought for sure Hilda saying "I totally saw him get stabbed from faraway he's definitely dead" and then cutting to Dedue going "I will continue the fight" was gonna set up a twist

no twist but it is brought up later. dedue shows up as an allied unit on the map you fight edelgard on later. you get a batalion if he survives

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seteth is supposedly in his mid-late 20s.

Flayn is supposedly 15.

It is either 'i had her when i was 11-13' or 'shes my sister'.

Or I mean We are ancient dragons and dont age.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Seteth is supposedly in his mid-late 20s.

Flayn is supposedly 15.

It is either 'i had her when i was 11-13' or 'shes my sister'.

Or I mean We are ancient dragons and dont age.

or "I look young for my age" :v:

and tbh I never thought he looked young enough to be her brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Manatee Cannon posted:

or "I look young for my age" :v:

and tbh I never thought he looked young enough to be her brother

Yeah in a series where Manuela is a character in her late 40s early 50s, I dunno why they insist that seteth is the only person who looks anime old but is actually anime young-ish adult.