Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dont Touch ME posted:

Please don't gently caress with mentally ill people

yeah we don't have to do poo poo, KiwiFarms will be allllll over this shortly. basically as soon as we run the joke into the ground, that's when they'll seize on it and make it a huge fuckin international incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dont Touch ME posted:

Please don't gently caress with mentally ill people

I regret to inform you that in 2020 America, belief in the QAnon conspiracy theories is actually an accepted and popular part of the political spectrum.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Reform... Alabama???

yells and screams at a corkboard labeled "well scum lord"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Do you think if we showed this stuff to Jim Davis, he would care? I kind of want to see if he would do anything, but also I'd rather keep this entergagement rolling in.

I’m fairly certain telling Jim Davis about this would just result in Garfield canonically supporting Qanon in an effort to boost sales.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
He's STILL going

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This really is the story that keeps on giving.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CodfishCartographer posted:

He's STILL going

so am i

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I did not know anything could make me hate Nathen Mazri. He really is an innovator

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Quarex posted:

I did not know anything could make me hate Nathen Mazri. He really is an innovator

How could you hate him? He's clearly having a psychotic meltdown. He's not maliciously spreading libel, he genuinely believes this stuff and thinks he's warning everyone. I really hope his family knows that he's sick and needs help, and that he can get it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sailor Cat posted:

How could you hate him? He's clearly having a psychotic meltdown. He's not maliciously spreading libel, he genuinely believes this stuff and thinks he's warning everyone. I really hope his family knows that he's sick and needs help, and that he can get it.

He's rich trash spreading conspiracy bullshit because he's a rock stupid, privileged little poo poo.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Akratic Method posted:

I regret to inform you that in 2020 America, belief in the QAnon conspiracy theories is actually an accepted and popular part of the political spectrum.

Have you ever tried talking to one of them? Like, really engaged one of them in conversation? It’s like having a conversation with a recorded message. They jabber endlessly about Q and “the coming storm” using all sorts of bizarre doubletalk. They cannot be derailed or made to actually talk to you. They just rattle off an endless stream of bizarre bullshit - like they’re reading off an endlessly repeating list of bulleted talking points that make no sense.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's rich trash spreading conspiracy bullshit because he's a rock stupid, privileged little poo poo.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm pretty sure he's actually literally mentally ill.

Edit: I mean, we got posts like this in June:

Pastry of the Year posted:

I feel like a media outlet other than The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > The Garfield Eats App needs to dig into/break the story of Nathen Mazri being an absolutely insane man because I am certain there's way way more going on beneath the surface here

and then there was the book report on Nathen's memoir:

Thots and Prayers posted:

Hello, my name is Thots and Prayers. You may know me from other Let's Reads like Shadow over Vegas: White Trash Mom Sacrificed for Nugs. Today we're going to be tackling: {Arabiolosis} - Mazri's 10 Laws to Convert From Thinking Species Into Feeling Species. Written by Nathen Mazri and edited by absolutely no one, not even Nathen Mazri.

It's been clear for a while that while the guy's from a filthy rich family, he's also actually insane and there's a limit to how responsible somebody can be for their beliefs when they're in a psychotic and delusional state.

Sailor Cat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 23, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thank god we had an internet armchair psychologist to sort that all out. Pack it up guys.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sailor Cat posted:

I'm pretty sure he's actually literally mentally ill.

So am I. I don't get anyone saying to lay off me because I'm mentally ill when I say something apocalyptically stupid, so why should he?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
who cares why he wrote that awful book and made this terrible restaurant and is ranting about conspiracies now. it's hilarious and that's what we're here for.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm remembering when someone posted what they called a chart that claimed to explain qanon. It was like the most scattered and cramped vision board ever created. Looking at it hurt my eyes.

Edit: This loving thing.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
We are officially in a Cyberpunk world and QAnon is one of those Snow Crash style internet viruses that can infect the people themselves.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 23, 2020

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

QAnon was heavily influenced by Pizzagate and absorbed a lot of its followers.

I wonder if he'll realize how suspicious he'd seem to that community as the owner of a kid-friendly pizza restaurant that manages to stay open in a major city despite having no customers, because its bankrolled by a Saudi property developer.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I heard he keeps Garfield in the basement

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Dude, you're posting cringe bro.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

what was it

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I'm remembering when someone posted what they called a chart that claimed to explain qanon. It was like the most scattered and cramped vision board ever created. Looking at it hurt my eyes.

Edit: This loving thing.

Please change my name to Techno Luciferianism

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

Thank god we had an internet armchair psychologist to sort that all out. Pack it up guys.

I'm not diagnosing the guy, but it's pretty clear that even at his best, he has a pretty tenuous grasp of reality. I don't think it's just a matter of him being sheltered and rich. He's been chain-posting crazy rear end, barely comprehensive theories like a maniac over s fairly short amount of time, in a time of high stress for everyone, and his business is failing on top of that. I'm not saying for sure, he's having a manic episode, but I think he's very unwell right now.

So am I. I don't get anyone saying to lay off me because I'm mentally ill when I say something apocalyptically stupid, so why should he?

Well, are we talking about being an rear end in a top hat who happens to have anxiety or depression? Or are we talking about you being psychotic and delusional, like a manic episode? "Mentally ill" covers a very large range of conditions, and most people with mental illness are lucid and operate in the real world. So, yeah, if you're not literally psychotic when you say or do something stupid, that's generally on you.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Inacio posted:

what was it

It was a bizarre tweet saying "cartoons are immune to viruses. don't you wish you were a cartoon" or something to that effect. They ended up rewording it and reposting it lol

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

doing the good lord’s work here, bless you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hey go gently caress yourself.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hey go gently caress yourself.

Why, because I think that someone in a psychotic state can't be held to normal standards of responsibility for their actions?

I don't know if you've ever been with someone when they're psychotic/delusional, but it's terrible and it's very, very different from being with someone who's deeply depressed or having an anxiety attack. I've talked people off the edge with suicide and self-harm, kept them company until they're better/emergency services arrives, and a psychotic person is much more frightening and unreachable. They're not operating in the same world as the rest of us, you can't really talk to them and connect and bring them back to reality. It's just terrible.

Maybe I'm reading too much into Nathen's actions, but I'd rather err on the side of compassion than assume he's just a bad person end of story.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Nathen is not malicious but he is an idiot

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

having money IS malicious. there are literally people starving and he's spending millions on a cartoon cat failure restaurant instead of donating that cash directly to people who need it, because he just wants to grow his fortune. Garfield Eats and this "entergagement" app big-data bullshit is literally the epitome of selfish hyper-privileged anti-humanism. And he has to audacity to spread covid misinformation? My question is how is this rear end in a top hat NOT malicious in your eyes???

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 23, 2020

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
[edit]
eh, nevermind.

previous post has a point.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
So this comes down to the beginner law concepts of actus reus (guilty act) and mens rea (guilty mind). You can have one without the other, and that helps determine the severity of a crime. Killing someone unintentionally is manslaughter as opposed to murder because the mens rea (intent) wasn’t there.

Is he dangerous with what he’s saying? Oh, absolutely. Is having that much money and not helping people immoral? Totally. But is he trying to hurt people? I honestly don’t think so. That’s where the distinction is in my mind.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
He thinks this insane disinformation is helpful. He also thought his insane restaurant would be successful. Think of that what you will.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Is being so wealthy that you are sheltered from the majority of the real world, your views are skewed due that sheltered nature and you're willing to believe ridiculous conspiracy theories really mental mental illness?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I’d just call that idiocy (not a crime but maybe it should be)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let he who hasn’t opened a restaurant based on their favorite newspaper comic cast the first stone.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Are we filing "hopelessly stupid" under "psychotic" now? If so, just close the site, we're done here.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Well, yeah, but I think he's also crazy.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sailor Cat posted:

Same. But this is why it's "not guilty by reason of insanity" instead of "guilty by reason of insanity", if we're going to be compassionate to the accused, we have to take into account they don't have the mental faculties to intentionally perpetrate a crime (everyone is still capable of crime, but the intentionality helps guide our process in figuring out what to do with the person).

No, I'm not making a case for affluenza because I think that's total bullshit. Nathen is ignorant, but the punishment should fit the crime- the "punishment" for stupid people should be to get their dumb asses some right information, and at a minimum retract/not disseminate those harmful statements.

Has he posted anything funny since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Good loving god, it's a lovely theme restaurant you dumbasses. You've seriously lost the plot if you read that post and agree with it. This is why Nairaland laughs at Americans and Europeans, the absolute state of first-worlders is abysmal.

Sailor Cat posted:

You cannot be born into money and have mental illness. You'd know that if you were half as class-conscious as me. Bourgeois broke brains stem from being sheltered, their brains aren't actually broken. The only real mental illness is anxiety and depression, because those are the mental illnesses that arise from the proletariat being exploited. Marx went over this in his extended writings, his tangents on neuroticism were very illuminating. When we finally rise up and eat the rich, there will be no mental disorders because at last we "own" the dirty dumpster of a factory we work in, and also the Bourgeois will be better because they won't be able to hide behind money that's the source of their delusion. And finally, we won't have to suffer Garfield-themed restaurants so the final demonic evil of the modern world will be slain.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)