Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

beerinator posted:

This is a great video about shaping. It is shaping it into bread for a loaf pan, but right in the middle he's gotten the bread into a boule shape (the shape yours is in) and that might make it helpful for you for next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYWyxkBWq7Q

My suggestion is to make sure you're always shaping with a dough scraper in your hand to make it easier to scrape up the sticky bits.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

It's almost but not really kinda.. damp? Maybe it's just been a long time since I've had warm fresh bread. Tastes great though.

Edit: Partner, who used to make bread a lot, says it isn't doughy so that's good.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look.

It's almost but not really kinda.. damp? Maybe it's just been a long time since I've had warm fresh bread. Tastes great though.

Edit: Partner, who used to make bread a lot, says it isn't doughy so that's good.

Looks good for a first attempt! Try baking at [a higher temp.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm finally getting biscuits down.

They've been my kryptonite for many years.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've been working on Sourdough batards. My first batches were a single rise and had an oven spring like you wouldn't believe, but weren't particularly sour

This last loaf I cold fermented in the fridge for 5 days (I had a hard time scheduling what turned out to be a 16 hour final rise) and it was actually too sour and didn't spring enough (no pic of the ufo shaped loaf). It needed about 6 or 8 hours to get from fridge to room temp, and then even after 4 and 6 hour checks it wasn't sufficiently proofed. But my kitchen is cold.

I'm guessing the sour bacteria ate enough that there was less food available for the co2 producing yeasts. Next test will be a 2 or 3 day rise. Not sure what else I should be looking to do. My batard shaping and tensioning is getting better, though!

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 21, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't gone out to get a dough scraper since I'm trying to avoid going out as much as possible, so they're ugly as sin. Baked at 500 instead of 450, got this nice looking brown going. They're crackling inside as they cool, is that normal? Almost like rice krispies in milk.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't gone out to get a dough scraper since I'm trying to avoid going out as much as possible, so they're ugly as sin. Baked at 500 instead of 450, got this nice looking brown going. They're crackling inside as they cool, is that normal? Almost like rice krispies in milk.

The crackling is cool and good yes!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

toplitzin posted:

I'm finally getting biscuits down.

They've been my kryptonite for many years.

I make similar biscuits and have been personally dissatisfied with them. My wife and mom both love them, and they have some standards for them. My take is that I feel like I'm making something like a really think, crumbly pastry, and that's not exactly what I want. I think they should be taller and have just a little bit of a tear to them when you break them apart. I don't know what you're looking for. Those biscuits would pass some people's tests and it's probably just a matter of personal preference now.

Something I picked up from Southern Living just this morning was to pack all the biscuits together so that they're forced to rice upwards instead of outwards. Also, they prep their fat by freezing it and then grating it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Something I picked up from Southern Living just this morning was to pack all the biscuits together so that they're forced to rice upwards instead of outwards. Also, they prep their fat by freezing it and then grating it.

I base my recipe on Southern Living's. Another tip is to melt a couple of tablespoons of butter and paint it on the biscuits right when they come out of the oven.

Here are mine from a few weeks ago.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I have returned to using sourdough starters because I can suddenly wait forever for dough to rise now.

Any tips for making sourdough pancakes with the extra starter? Or any other things to do with the extra?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I am very new to baking but wanted to ask if you guys found that using a low gluten flour like White Lily makes a noticeable difference in biscuits as asserted in this old article:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/11/better-biscuits-south-thanksgiving/576526/
Or is that irrelevant and it's essentially a technique issue as asserted in this NPR article:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/01/19/686579106/is-the-power-of-the-flour-really-the-secret-to-baking-the-perfect-biscuit
Apologies if this has been addressed already earlier in this thread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Yuns posted:

I am very new to baking but wanted to ask if you guys found that using a low gluten flour like White Lily makes a noticeable difference in biscuits as asserted in this old article:
I'm rolling back on what I've been doing so I'm using some King Arthur's self-rising flour. That has a pretty low gluten content. I don't think I've noticed much of any difference in toughness even when rolling back. You do such low handling with the dough that I don't see how gluten ever becomes a thing. Where it can get tricky is if you, say, mix it up and throw it in the fridge for a long time. That can start to activate the protein.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Tom Smykowski posted:

I have returned to using sourdough starters because I can suddenly wait forever for dough to rise now.

Any tips for making sourdough pancakes with the extra starter? Or any other things to do with the extra?

This should get you started. I make the crackers regularly and they go excellently with some hummus.

If I want a sourdough-ish flavor but am not needing the discard to provide leavening (using baking soda/powder or other yeast) I just replace some of the recipe's flour & liquid with my discard.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

No IDY to be found anywhere. gently caress.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

beerinator posted:

I base my recipe on Southern Living's. Another tip is to melt a couple of tablespoons of butter and paint it on the biscuits right when they come out of the oven.

Here are mine from a few weeks ago.

This is more my flavor and I can't really get it. My wife mocks this style as being like the Pillsbury tins but I regret nothing. Do you know how thick your dough is when cutting? I'm not getting anywhere near that kind of height.

I know places like Popeyes does a thinner, crumbly biscuit too and people are into that. I'm starting to treat biscuits like they have at least two distinct styles. People don't really distinguish when they're talking about them, but I'm pretty sure they require distinct methods to create. It's very frustrating to research.

Edit: My current theory on this based on upbringing between me and my wife is that I want a Yankee biscuit and my wife wants a southern biscuit. That's usually how this stuff goes. I might be wrong though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Loaf of milk bread fresh out the oven.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is more my flavor and I can't really get it. My wife mocks this style as being like the Pillsbury tins but I regret nothing. Do you know how thick your dough is when cutting? I'm not getting anywhere near that kind of height.

I know places like Popeyes does a thinner, crumbly biscuit too and people are into that. I'm starting to treat biscuits like they have at least two distinct styles. People don't really distinguish when they're talking about them, but I'm pretty sure they require distinct methods to create. It's very frustrating to research.

Edit: My current theory on this based on upbringing between me and my wife is that I want a Yankee biscuit and my wife wants a southern biscuit. That's usually how this stuff goes. I might be wrong though.

Your current theory is correct; there are drop biscuits (like what you've been making) and rolled biscuits. Drop biscuits are made with more liquid and result in more of a crumbly texture like you've been getting, and rolled biscuits are like the picture you're quoting. To make a good rolled biscuit, it's essential to keep everything cold, knead as little as possible, and use the least amount of liquid you can. It won't seem like it's holding together at first, that's how dry it should be. After folding it over itself a few times, it'll make more sense. The butter should also be in larger pieces than you're probably processing it to.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo6r65pNss

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I roll my dough to somewhere between a quarter and half inch. Probably closer to a half, but I don't really measure. Like someone else said, it helps if your biscuits are touching in the oven. They help each other rise taller. Also, it's important to use the biscuit cutter and press it straight down. Do not turn it when you're cutting the biscuits. If you turn or twist the cutter when you cut, you won't get the rise you're looking for. Go straight down and straight back up.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The butter should also be in larger pieces than you're probably processing it to.

If you grate the butter it works as well. That's what I do and what we were talking about with the Southern Living recipe.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

effika posted:

This should get you started. I make the crackers regularly and they go excellently with some hummus.

If I want a sourdough-ish flavor but am not needing the discard to provide leavening (using baking soda/powder or other yeast) I just replace some of the recipe's flour & liquid with my discard.

Hell ya, thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Your current theory is correct; there are drop biscuits (like what you've been making) and rolled biscuits. Drop biscuits are made with more liquid and result in more of a crumbly texture like you've been getting, and rolled biscuits are like the picture you're quoting.

Haha I've been making rolled biscuits! But yeah, they're coming out like very homogenous drop biscuits.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hi. I've been trying to make my own starter for 3 days now following the video I asked about earlier. Is this at a point where it's usable? I've been adding 3 tbs of AP flour and 2 tbs of water every day and making sure it's mixed:

It's smells tangy so that's good, right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Once it roughly doubles in a feeding cycle

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It has not done that yet. So stay the course and keep adding the 3tbs flour/2tbs water daily?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I forgot the crumb shot:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Hi. I've been trying to make my own starter for 3 days now following the video I asked about earlier. Is this at a point where it's usable? I've been adding 3 tbs of AP flour and 2 tbs of water every day and making sure it's mixed:

It's smells tangy so that's good, right?

3 days is pretty quick for a new starter from scratch, in a kitchen that hasn't had a lot of wild yeast around before, in my experience. I haven't watched that video but in my experience you're probably just entering the weird smelly-feet-and-mold stage. This is fine, so don't be alarmed if it starts to smell really gross and grow colorful fur. When it emerges from that and starts to smell like food again it's ready to use.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 23, 2020

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

poverty goat posted:

3 days is pretty quick for a new starter from scratch, in a kitchen that hasn't had a lot of wild yeast around before, in my experience. I haven't watched that video but in my experience you're probably just entering the weird smelly-feet-and-mold stage. This is fine, so don't be alarmed if it starts to smell really gross and grow colorful fur. When it emerges from that and starts to smell like food again it's ready to use.

This sounds terrifying. Do I attempt to remove said colorful fur if it happens?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doh004 posted:

This sounds terrifying. Do I attempt to remove said colorful fur if it happens?

remove it preferentially when you feed it

you're waiting for the yeast and lactobacillius to get their act together and lower the PH enough that it won't be hospitable to mold anymore. along the way a civilization of foot-stink bacteria will rise and fall.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

poverty goat posted:

remove it preferentially when you feed it

you're waiting for the yeast and lactobacillius to get their act together and lower the PH enough that it won't be hospitable to mold anymore. along the way a civilization of foot-stink bacteria will rise and fall.

I've started starters a half dozen times in different states/kitchens and I've never have one smell anything but fruity/bready or fruity/with acetone. So grain of salt.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sextro posted:

I've started starters a half dozen times in different states/kitchens and I've never have one smell anything but fruity/bready or fruity/with acetone. So grain of salt.

In any case, don't sweat it

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Running low on yeast so I need your favorite sourdough recipe that doesn’t use yeast. I’ve got FWSY (the book obviously, not the yeast) and plenty of AP, bread, wheat, and rye flour.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Haha I've been making rolled biscuits! But yeah, they're coming out like very homogenous drop biscuits.

I know exactly the distinction in biscuit texture you're referring to, and I prefer the layered/vertical style too. How else can I get the even split crucial for a stable foundation for the fried egg sandwich jfc

I've been baking with my typical biscuit recipe, but using Stella Parks' pastry method to get the texture I want. She basically cubes the butter (1:1 butter:flour by weight iirc) and roughly flattens the cubes between her fingers in the flour to rub it in, but only smashes each cube once. Then she does 1 book fold like making puff pastry, rolls it out lightly just to adhere the layers, and cuts the biscuits straight out of the tall-rear end pastry stack. It always seems like the butter pieces will be way too large but it turns out perfectly.

toplitzin, that loaf looks like an angelic cloud

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

nwin posted:

Running low on yeast so I need your favorite sourdough recipe that doesn’t use yeast. I’ve got FWSY (the book obviously, not the yeast) and plenty of AP, bread, wheat, and rye flour.

This is a good start

https://youtu.be/bSYdABrPrtM

Just experiment from there. I like 80/10/10 white/ww/rye instead of 90/10 white/ww for a country blonde.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Made some overnight white on Saturday morning, I let it rise for about 16-17 hours and really love the flavor and texture that developed.

(sorry, pulled from my instagram stories)

then this evening my partner and I decided to bake. I made bread pudding using the remainder of the first loaf (and a bit of the second loaf, lol making bread pudding with some nearly fresh bread), and she made banana bread:

It's really loving good.

bonus banana bread:

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Is the King Arthur dough suppised to be very wet? It's certainly wetter than other doughs I've tried.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hopes Fall posted:

Is the King Arthur dough suppised to be very wet? It's certainly wetter than other doughs I've tried.

If you're not so used to fancier [flour] then you're probably seeing the effect of a lower ash content. It takes less to hydrate it.

I've been toying with some heirloom flour recently and between experiments and talking with the mill's owner, I've had to go the other way and hydrate more. The owner said they've heard people hydrating their stuff over 100% and it behaving pretty normally even like that. That's from strange, hipster wheat.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 26, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

snailshell posted:

I know exactly the distinction in biscuit texture you're referring to, and I prefer the layered/vertical style too. How else can I get the even split crucial for a stable foundation for the fried egg sandwich jfc

I've been baking with my typical biscuit recipe, but using Stella Parks' pastry method to get the texture I want. She basically cubes the butter (1:1 butter:flour by weight iirc) and roughly flattens the cubes between her fingers in the flour to rub it in, but only smashes each cube once. Then she does 1 book fold like making puff pastry, rolls it out lightly just to adhere the layers, and cuts the biscuits straight out of the tall-rear end pastry stack. It always seems like the butter pieces will be way too large but it turns out perfectly.
That sounds really tedious so I watched a video on it (maybe what you watched?). I guess it's not so bad. What really surprised me was the kneading.

I had read something the other day that maybe the super-delicate methods for making biscuits is actually wrong and you should be fine working in warm weather, beating it up, stirring it a bunch, and generally doing everything the Internet says is wrong. I'm thinking of trying that once just for giggles. I kind of jibes with my sense that a bunch of Southern mothers weren't methodically chilling all their stuff in the middle of the summer and delicately handling everything.

(...then I'll start pinching the butter when that doesn't work, hydrating the dough with my desperate tears. Plus, I won't need salt!)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
24-hour room temp ferment, approximately 70-75% hydration. Added a bit too much salt, which really slowed the rise (I find wild cultures usually aren’t nearly so halotolerant as standard yeast). Baked to 207° F in the center. Baked in round pan.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was dumb and I didn't read the recipe fully enough and so I am deleting my question!

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 26, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is the what a correctly made biscuit looks like:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Unfortunately mine end up looking like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're not so used to fancier dough then you're probably seeing the effect of a lower ash content. It takes less to hydrate it.

I've been toying with some heirloom flour recently and between experiments and talking with the mill's owner, I've had to go the other way and hydrate more. The owner said they've heard people hydrating their stuff over 100% and it behaving pretty normally even like that. That's from strange, hipster wheat.

I've only made bread successfully once before. The top cane out very flat, but that taste was good, and the crumb a little dense.