Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes that’s fine I run a Ryzen 5 2600x and a 1080ti and it works perfect.

AMD is blowing intel out of the water these days on the CPU side and nVidia is doing the same to AMD on the GPU side so it just makes sense to pair them that way.

nice, glad to hear it. I still feel burned over that k6-2 350 with 3DNOW! It's time I get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

AMD had real bad CPU's for a long time, but they've turned things right around with the Ryzen CPU's (I think the Threadrippers are good too? I haven't heard much on them). You're functionally getting near/same as Intel performance for a fraction of the price.

Yes Ryzens and Threadrippers are great. Threadrippers now in the 3rd gen are great for games just a bit overkill. The first gen, and maybe the second had some issues that made them not great for some games,

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I can't even return my Index because the fedex locations near me are closed on account of coronavirus...god *dammit*

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I can't even return my Index because the fedex locations near me are closed on account of coronavirus...god *dammit*

poo poo I'm sure a goon would take it for msrp.

Dingwick posted:

So what's the consensus about purchasing equipment from eBay? I'm really jonesin for an Index and I'm seriously considering laying down the money to get it that way.

OH hey look, its a goon wanting an index. In this very thread! :D

:)

Stick100 posted:

Yes Ryzens and Threadrippers are great. Threadrippers now in the 3rd gen are great for games just a bit overkill. The first gen, and maybe the second had some issues that made them not great for some games,

Yeee in general AMD has been better CPU side since last gen ryzen. Memory stuff was a bit scuffed last gen but workable in most cases.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 22, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Memory seems to have been sorted. Even my crappy old 3200mhz memory that couldn't reach 2999Mhz with a R3 1300 can overclock to 3600Mhz with the R5 3600 I bought recently.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

poo poo I'm sure a goon would take it for msrp.

OH hey look, its a goon wanting an index. In this very thread! :D

I don't trust peer to peer transactions of stuff worth $1000, 'cause I'd be out $1000 plus shipping. But if I can't ship it back in time, I'll think about it.

On the other hand, if I get an offer from a company soon with a good bonus, I might keep it. Looking at the Alyx gameplay I do wonder if the finger articulation is going to be worth it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

On the other hand, if I get an offer from a company soon with a good bonus, I might keep it. Looking at the Alyx gameplay I do wonder if the finger articulation is going to be worth it.

Finger articulation in VR basically doesn't matter beyond "Neat!" and flipping people off, as any VR game that wants to make money needs to be equally playable with Oculus and Vive controllers.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I mean, yes. Obviously. It won't be a huge delta, because they've already said they want it to be playable with a number of different control schemes. But it might feel better in some subtle way I don't know yet. Not $600 better but if I get a signing bonus, hey, why not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I mean, yes. Obviously. It won't be a huge delta, because they've already said they want it to be playable with a number of different control schemes. But it might feel better in some subtle way I don't know yet. Not $600 better but if I get a signing bonus, hey, why not.

Boneworks is realistically the best usage of it you could see, because they went all-out on just about any physics concept they could think of.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

sigher posted:

Pretty early on, the puzzle has me going up some building, but before that I had some jump over some water tank things into another room where I could make a bridge from yellow mats to get to a save, then there's two ledges that are connected that teeter when weight is applied to them and it's just so god drat annoying.

I would stick with it as it gets better but then again Alyx is coming out tomorrow so...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

More like a sign from God.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

So I spent some time playing with the Index controllers last night. I dig them! Having a thumbstick finally is a godsend. Somethings are going to take getting used to but so far so good.

I just have to learn not to constantly close my hands when i'm not using them - too many times playing blade and sorcery last night a group of enemies would faceplant into the ground in unison, only for me to realize I clenched my left hand, force-grabbing the group of them, and moving it slightly caused them all to ragdoll.

Also I'm using thumbstick movement in H3VR, and I've found the far-right option, I forget the name (Z-head movement?), that changes the orientation of your control stick based on your head's direction, to be the best. Having it anchored didn't feel right, holding the barrel of a gun and pushing "forward" (to my right) to go straight didn't feel right at all.

Anyways I'm gonna dick around and start going back through some games to see if the new controllers adds something.

Does anyone own Electronauts? I do, and my game crashes at launch. Could this be because it's a unity title? I don't have any other VR games that crash at launch. I'm running on a fresh install of Win10 and I've reinstalled the game a couple of times to different directories/drives with nothing working.

The hour of that game I DID play was incredibly fun, I just want to jump into it after something more intense.

Also, Audica is VERY good from what I've played so far. Does anyone own the DLC? Any impressions?

I'm just over here wondering why we don't have a Frequency/Amplitude VR port

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finally, an update for Walking Dead Saints & Sinners

quote:

Localization:
The game is now available in French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, and Portuguese-Brazilian
This is Gameplay and UI Text only, no audio. Please enable your Subtitles in the Options > Audio menu.
Language selector is available in the Options Menu

Additions/Improvements:

AI
Combat Retreat and Maneuvering Improvements for Human AI

Audio
Improved Weapon sounds
Frying Pan should now have a satisfying “Clunk!”

Gameplay
Health and Stamina bars have been added to the Watch
New Menu Option to disable HUD (removes the Health and Stamina bars from the center of the your view)
Bow should now be easier to pull

Physical Crouch
Hybrid Seated/Standing Mode is now on by Default
True Player Height mode added
Various crouching collision fixes

Optimizations
Improved performance in Rampart
Misc Backpack/Inventory optimizations
Misc code optimizations
Various Improved LODs

Bug Fixes:

Audio
Spatial Volume fixes in The Shallows, Bastion, Via Carolla, and Old Town.
Misc audio bug fixes

Gameplay
Chaperone should now correctly appear in Standing/Roomscale for SteamVR
Removed bad collision in Rampart kitchen area that blocked players from grabbing items
Severed body parts should now appear as the correct model when you load a save game
Misc UI jitter fixes
Misc other gameplay bug fixes

I would start playing now but... ugh, as you already know some other game releases tomorrow...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How do you record VR games on the pc? There is a gameplay window on my pc but its like under 2/3rd the size of the screen, like a cellphone video.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

How do you record VR games on the pc?

OBS + OpenVR Input Capture + LIV if available.

Some games have decent headset views, boneworks for example, so that I just grab that window. Just depends. VR capture is the wild west still.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Had to go by the hospital for a non-bad reason recently

Turns out that the official Oculus Quest travel case makes for an excellent N95 face mask crush-proof carry-case for up to 6 masks

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Accidentally sacrificed my monitor to create this, so I might as well share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLjdUoKD0Cw

Some experimenting with the spectator camera (the monitor displays from an external view instead of the headset) in Blade and Sorcery.

Nothing too interesting (I even go out of frame for a couple of minutes), but whatever.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Marxalot posted:

e: the legit worst thing about my old rear end setup is that my steam folder is on a loving 3TB 7200rpm platter drive. These loading times suck so much lol
You can add another install location for games in steam, for example on your SSD. Then you can just copy the game from ...\steamapps\common\ to the same folder on the SSD, deinstall the game in steam, reinstall it with the new location. Steam will discover the already existing files so you don't need to download the game again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8arRphzeiDE

cool.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is Alyx getting unlocked at some point later in the day? I have a Play button but it’s just grey and does nothing. Boo.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Bad Munki posted:

Is Alyx getting unlocked at some point later in the day? I have a Play button but it’s just grey and does nothing. Boo.
Store page says it'll unlock in about an hour.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bad Munki posted:

A little over one hour from now

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gah, that’s when my meetings start. I can’t not work under these conditions!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

RabbitWizard posted:

Then you can just copy the game from ...\steamapps\common\ to the same folder on the SSD, deinstall the game in steam, reinstall it with the new location. Steam will discover the already existing files so you don't need to download the game again.
This part isn't even necessary, there's an option within Steam to move an installed game to a different Steam library location

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

TACD posted:

This part isn't even necessary, there's an option within Steam to move an installed game to a different Steam library location
Huh, that must be new. Thanks for the info.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time to get SteamVR and the Quest to play nicely. I've had constant issues with is. Sometimes the steamVR lags like crazy, most of the time anything I play will freeze a couple of minutes in.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

It’s out and unpacking, but going to take 2 hours for me for some reason

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the hell did i preload for if it is going to take an hour to unpack >:(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bad Munki posted:

Gah, that’s when my meetings start. I can’t not work under these conditions!

I feel you. Mine don't start for a bit longer, but this game isn't going to be done with decryption until the middle of my afternoon block. Such is bid'ness.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Two minutes remaining :D

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Tweak posted:

Decrypting 50GB takes time.

My experience with a fast internet connection and a CPU that's a few years old is that it's faster to just ignore preloads and instead start downloading after release.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Reviews of half life alyx are dropping: https://www.pcgamer.com/half-life-alyx-review/

I've got another 20 minutes of this unpacking to go.......

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

https://twitter.com/quarkcannon/status/1242138664114757638?s=20

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
1) half life alyx is incredible

2) does anyone know how to get the oculus rift s and steam VR to play nice? i get these weird jitters occasionally while I'm playing steam games that I never get while playing oculus native stuff

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

punished milkman posted:

1) half life alyx is incredible

2) does anyone know how to get the oculus rift s and steam VR to play nice? i get these weird jitters occasionally while I'm playing steam games that I never get while playing oculus native stuff

Be sure you don't supersample in both Oculus and SteamVR, as the effect will be multiplicative.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Is the preferred method for Quest to still use Link Cable and the Oculus virtual desktop to boot SteamVR or is there some other app to sideload etc?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And the steam thread is already having sour grapes over Alyx being VR only :allears:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

And the steam thread is already having sour grapes over Alyx being VR only :allears:

Its so good. Its everywhere. The salt is really fueling my day tbh.

feel free to use this amazing thing I made forever ago..

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Jeez Alyx looks and plays really good. Been going slowly to find some of the environmental achievements like feeding your pet. Sucks that my work just called me in right when I started. I will probably do a little shrooms and continue playing when I get back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Turin Turambar posted:

Be sure you don't supersample in both Oculus and SteamVR, as the effect will be multiplicative.

Huh this seems to have helped a bit, thanks. I also set the CPU priority to high for the exe in OTT.