Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

davecrazy posted:

Rural areas with poo poo health infrastructure will get clobbered just as bad.

Only one of those will be in the constant news cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah there's a big-rear end problem up here in Ontario, people with all-season cottages have hosed off to the Muskokas and Kawarthas where there is (maybe) 1 ICU bed and 1 ventilator per hospital.
Most of these people tend to be on the older side, and are not following social-distancing rules.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

davecrazy posted:

Rural areas with poo poo health infrastructure will get clobbered just as bad.

There may be an ideological cultural divide that allows them to hand wave away why this is tragic in one and acceptable in the other

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
One of my trauma er nurse friends is about to loose it after their hospital, by way of the FDA, is allegedly starting to tell them to just wash gloves instead of replacing them between patients. Or, if necessary, even use the food service gloves from the mess hall on some patients. Just make sure all the patients have the same infectious diseases and pathogens simple no big deal!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Untagged posted:

One of my trauma er nurse friends is about to loose it after their hospital, by way of the FDA, is allegedly starting to tell them to just wash gloves instead of replacing them between patients. Or, if necessary, even use the food service gloves from the mess hall on some patients. Just make sure all the patients have the same infectious diseases and pathogens simple no big deal!

I'm wondering if it's supply chain issues again, the machines for manufacturing all these things exist. They need to be significantly upping their resource utilization time (the amount of time a machine is actually making something) to move product.
Get the airlines involved running cargo-only on southwest 737s if need be for god's sake.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah we’re kind of well past the point where the feds should have nationalized the airlines and turned them into cargo planes/essential travel only and ordered all capable manufacturers to produce PPE and ventilators but Big Strong Daddy just wants the right Number to go Up and if we do that then good Number goes down. So we can always breed more doctors when the current practitioners are too sick to work, NBD.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah we’re kind of well past the point where the feds should have nationalized the airlines and turned them into cargo planes/essential travel only and ordered all capable manufacturers to produce PPE and ventilators but Big Strong Daddy just wants the right Number to go Up and if we do that then good Number goes down. So we can always breed more doctors when the current practitioners are too sick to work, NBD.

They’re going to start publicly advocating for people to start going back to work soon because we have to appease he market gods, and casualties are just something we gotta deal with.

I mean that last part both as sarcasm and seriously, because capitalism must go on.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Someone point out to him how massive government programs paying industries to make necessary materials has pulled our economy out of the dumpster and made number go up. He'll loving pass that poo poo by the end of the day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Is capitalism failing us, or are WE failing capitalism?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MA-Horus posted:

I'm wondering if it's supply chain issues again, the machines for manufacturing all these things exist. They need to be significantly upping their resource utilization time (the amount of time a machine is actually making something) to move product.
Get the airlines involved running cargo-only on southwest 737s if need be for god's sake.

That would require competent, organized leadership and response at some level.

We do not have that.

We have an entire administration of chode-licking sycophants and dead-eyed sociopaths. They have been put in place over the last three years with the express purpose of supporting a narcissistic man-baby's ego and a behind-the-scenes purpose of grift and self-advancement. The organization management line is "Personnel are policy" and welp, this is what we get with dysfunctional leadership building the organization it wants.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

bird food bathtub posted:

That would require competent, organized leadership and response at some level.

We do not have that.

We have an entire administration of chode-licking sycophants and dead-eyed sociopaths. They have been put in place over the last three years with the express purpose of supporting a narcissistic man-baby's ego and a behind-the-scenes purpose of grift and self-advancement. The organization management line is "Personnel are policy" and welp, this is what we get with dysfunctional leadership building the organization it wants.

Yeah Stephen Miller is probably working to make this lead to replacing poors with robots, his wildest dream.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah there's a big-rear end problem up here in Ontario, people with all-season cottages have hosed off to the Muskokas and Kawarthas where there is (maybe) 1 ICU bed and 1 ventilator per hospital.
Most of these people tend to be on the older side, and are not following social-distancing rules.

WSJ had an article yesterday where vacation communities like Napa, Tahoe and beach towns are experiencing skyrocketing rental increases due to the rich fleeing NY/New England cities. Public officials are begging them not to. Because their hospitals and infrastructure can't handle an outbreak at peak season occupancy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-coronavirus-hits-new-yorkers-wonder-if-they-should-leave-11584897686

The comments will make you want to invest in a guillotine

E:

quote:

Kenneth Johnson 17 hours ago

SUBSCRIBER

As the article says.this has always been a

strategy of the wealthy for any

widespread....and serious.....contagious

diseases. For centuries.

Just get away from it.

Come back later after it has run its course

among the 'less fortunate'.

My wife and I are isolating in our relatively secluded lake house as I write this.

Any other strategies?

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 23, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

egyptian rat race posted:

WSJ had an article yesterday where vacation communities like Napa, Tahoe and beach towns are experiencing skyrocketing rental increases due to the rich fleeing NY/New England cities. Public officials are begging them not to. Because their hospitals and infrastructure can't handle an outbreak at peak season occupancy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-coronavirus-hits-new-yorkers-wonder-if-they-should-leave-11584897686

Seems like it’s going to be a self-correcting problem soon enough.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Midjack posted:

Seems like it’s going to be a self-correcting problem soon enough.

Yeah, that Idaho resort town that the rich fled to is the epicenter of cases in Idaho, because if there's one thing people should definitely be doing right now, it's traveling.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

MA-Horus posted:

A lot of it’s made overseas and countries are locking down exports.
Taiwan banned export of masks weeks ago.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

egyptian rat race posted:

E:

Owned by the paywall. Pretty good metaphor for my life, really.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

I like how Norway explicity told people they'd be thrown in jail if they did the equivalent there. Seems to have worked from what I'm told.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJCTy6G1YCE

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/1242092697034293249

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

National and global casualty curves too remote and abstract a concept for you? Have some state-by-state ones! https://covidactnow.org/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I can see the motorway from my window, and it has never been flowing freely at 8am, and we arent even in full lockdown yet. Work today is gonna be spooky

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I can see the motorway from my window, and it has never been flowing freely at 8am, and we arent even in full lockdown yet. Work today is gonna be spooky

I285 in Atlanta has had no traffic at all. If you've ever lived or been down here, that should be kind of spooky.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1242154844057714688

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So lets say he "restarts" the economy. Doesn't that just kill off all the people that would have voted for him?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I think Minnesota is next on the shutdown list, I just got sent home on one-hour notice.

Literally, 'pack up your workstation and hook it up at home, here's the VPN login, good luck'. :stare:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Ontario just shut down all non-essential work

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

WV is on a stay-at-home order effective 8pm tomorrow.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

from my mailbox today

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ASAPI posted:

So lets say he "restarts" the economy. Doesn't that just kill off all the people that would have voted for him?

No.

brains
May 12, 2004

Madurai posted:

National and global casualty curves too remote and abstract a concept for you? Have some state-by-state ones! https://covidactnow.org/

the US is seriously hosed

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It'll also kill off Biden voters

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

It'll also kill off Biden voters

Too bad the primaries are effectively over.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ok, "just" was a poor choice in words...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A lot of people are going to die while plenty of others will be ok with it because their taxes don’t go up.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1242172418099163137

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ASAPI posted:

Ok, "just" was a poor choice in words...

A positively ghoulish choice.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

EBB posted:

from my mailbox today

drat near every press release and public announcement I've seen starts with the words "President Trump." It's really creepy narcissism. I'm surprised it wasn't on the Census notifications.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/notameadow/status/1242180805562171395?s=20

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Imagine having Lt. Gens that do anything besides demand 24/7 powerpoints with no decision points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Prop Wash posted:

Imagine having Lt. Gens that do anything besides demand 24/7 powerpoints with no decision points.

There have, with time, been a few “revolutionary” generals who are try to hack off every useless PowerPoint briefing they can, and absolutely minimizing use where otherwise necessary.

You can just google search for it and you’ll find articles. The Flag ranks “discovers” this every 9-10 years in one form or another as far back as briefings+visual aids goes. And that’s a long goddamn way back.