Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Republicans posted:

Is there usually some kind of limit on how many fruit trees you can grow? For some reason this clump has stayed in the nursery stage while the others are growing.

Your layout in itself seems fine. However, in previous games, if you boxed in trees like that, they wouldn't grow. No idea if that's a thing in this game. I suggest maybe switching out a few saplings in the middle for the growing trees like so:

SxxTxxTxxS

or even moving saplings to the furthest corners of your layout. You can dig up entire trees by eating fruit and using a shovel on them.

If it still fails, I'd just let them grow someplace else, and move them back when they're fully grown. :shrug:

And More fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
i'ts raining and i have peaches available, come on by. i'll leave it on all day. GJD5Q

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

man nurse posted:

The lengthy arrival and departure loads are killing my desire to visit Dodo codes being posted out in the open but hnnnnrnrrrg I need to sell the turnips that I bought at 105.

There are 10 more turnip price changes before they spoil this coming Sunday. You've got all the time in the world!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

And More posted:

Your layout in itself seems fine. However, in previous games, if you boxed in trees like that, they wouldn't grow. No idea if that's a thing in this game. I suggest maybe switching out a few saplings in the middle for the growing trees like so:

SxxTxxTxxS

or even moving saplings to the furthest corners of your layout. You can dig up entire trees by eating fruit and using a shovel on them.

If it still fails, I'd just let them grow someplace else, and move them back when they're fully grown. :shrug:

That must be it since the trees on the outside are growing just fine. Well crud that's gonna make a mess of my organized rows. I wonder if spacing everything by 2 tiles would be enough.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 23, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gone be chilling online for awhile, feel free to come visit. Plenty of apples and apple trees, I think I've labeled all my current trees with designs. If you snag a whole tree just kick away the marker(if you can), or just place one next to it letting me know you took the tree

Dodo code: closed now :awesomelon:
Fruit tree: Apples
Raining, southern hemi
Turnip price: 136

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 23, 2020

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

man nurse posted:

The lengthy arrival and departure loads are killing my desire to visit Dodo codes being posted out in the open but hnnnnrnrrrg I need to sell the turnips that I bought at 105.

Yeah, I knew that Nintendo getting online stuff right seemed too good to be true when they announced the Dodo Code system...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The butterfly spawn RNG seems to be heavily in favour of 2,000 bell butterflies on my island. An hour with a net and I've almost made enough to do Nook's third home upgrade cash in hand.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Snake Maze posted:

In New Leaf you could talk to Isabella about a villager's behavior to reset their catchphrase in case someone made them start saying cusses or something. People said it made them more likely to move out but honestly that just feels like an urban legend to me, I've never seen any real confirmation for that and I don't see why they would add that feature to what's ostensibly just a parental control sort of thing. I don't know if they give you more direct control here but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing.

Ah, nuts. Guess I'm gonna chase Rocket around all day smacking her with a net to see if that works.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Net does nothing and it never did anything. In fact ignoring them less likely to leave as they store up the 'are you ignoring me' lines

Just play and they'll eventually want to leave.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Republicans posted:

Is there usually some kind of limit on how many fruit trees you can grow? For some reason this clump has stayed in the nursery stage while the others are growing.

When I was googling tree info earlier I read something about how the game won't let you grow trees in a grid like that, the rows need to be offset so the trees aren't perfectly aligned vertically. Your outside borders seem fine so I dunno how accurate that is, but maybe give it a try?

So like
TxTxT
xxxxx
xTxTx

Instead of what you have now which is

TxTxT
xxxxx
TxTxT

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
It's raining here and I have pears if people want to drop by. Dodo code is CQ1LN

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Alright a couple pieces of wooden furniture, simple enough. Looks like I'll need about 30 wood total."

*chops every tree on the island*

Softwood: 1 trillion
Hardwood: 5 trillion
Wood: 15

:argh:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

io_burn posted:

Yeah, I knew that Nintendo getting online stuff right seemed too good to be true when they announced the Dodo Code system...

It’s real bad. “Gates are open, everyone come hang out!”

Walk two feet: “Looks like someone’s here!” Time to wait like a full minute.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

"Alright a couple pieces of wooden furniture, simple enough. Looks like I'll need about 30 wood total."

*chops every tree on the island*

Softwood: 1 trillion
Hardwood: 5 trillion
Wood: 15

:argh:

I'm regretting being a sane person and not chopping every single tree my first few days.

My biggest overall complaint so far is that there's only one music track until the town really opens up. I would be approaching this game super chill otherwise, but now I'm grinding the gently caress out of these early requirements just to get the real soundtrack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah this "Looks like someone's here!" thing is getting old incredibly fast

Did they only intend to have you share your code with like one other person at a time? This is a bonkers way to set up online play.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Harrow posted:

Did they only intend to have you share your code with like one other person at a time? This is a bonkers way to set up online play.

No idea why it does this for EVERY SINGLE PERSON, makes playing with lots of people absolute hell.

I'm hoping it's a bug that they'll patch.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man, seeing the kind of money people are pulling in through turnips makes me wish I'd bought more than 400. Gotta gamble more next week.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

It looks like Donald Duck washed ashore on my island, and there's a house here now.

Edit: Wait, no, it's not a duck, never mind. He won't wake up, though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it has to sync everything when someone new joins, it's just that the person arriving gets to see the nice dodo cutscene including the flyover and the people on the island get... a load screen

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harrow posted:

Nintendo is incapable of setting up competent online multiplayer. It's nothing new.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not a Children posted:

No idea why it does this for EVERY SINGLE PERSON, makes playing with lots of people absolute hell.

I'm hoping it's a bug that they'll patch.
I don't know why you'd think its a bug, its a deliberate thing, New Leaf did it too. It just takes forever to sync in a new player, maybe they can patch that but I wouldn't bet on it

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you people who visited Ruby Isle. You are all very welcome to come hang out. Maybe someone will even bring me peaches?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

shadowvine118 posted:

It looks like Donald Duck washed ashore on my island, and there's a house here now.

Edit: Wait, no, it's not a duck, never mind. He won't wake up, though.

Keep talking to him.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I think I need to call it quits on visiting open invites. I just can’t with this anymore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

man nurse posted:

Yeah I think I need to call it quits on visiting open invites. I just can’t with this anymore.

:same: this is awful

I just want to leave and I can't walk five steps without "Looks like someone's leaving!" or "Looks like someone's on their way here!" stopping me and I want to die

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Does fish bait increase the chances of getting rare fish at all? It's raining today and I've been circling the island for hours looking for a coelacanth, but no dice so far :argh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I don't know why you'd think its a bug, its a deliberate thing, New Leaf did it too. It just takes forever to sync in a new player, maybe they can patch that but I wouldn't bet on it

Yeah I think it's a function of how the game engine works. It pauses and reloads the town when you call in a fellow Villager locally from the same island as well, and it's probably the reason only one person can access their inventory or even collect things locally (whatever the other players pick up gets warped to the recycle bin)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Harrow posted:

:same: this is awful

I just want to leave and I can't walk five steps without "Looks like someone's leaving!" or "Looks like someone's on their way here!" stopping me and I want to die

if you hit - and end your session you will come back fully synced on your home island

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tender Bender posted:

When I was googling tree info earlier I read something about how the game won't let you grow trees in a grid like that, the rows need to be offset so the trees aren't perfectly aligned vertically. Your outside borders seem fine so I dunno how accurate that is, but maybe give it a try?

So like
TxTxT
xxxxx
xTxTx

Instead of what you have now which is

TxTxT
xxxxx
TxTxT

I put all the growing trees on the outer parts for now. I'm thinking once they're all grown I'll clean things up but I'll keep that in mind.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Has anyone met the Bowie Cat yet I wanna know who they are.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Not to beat a dead horse some more but like, I just spent half an hour on someone’s island. Maybe five minutes of that was me actually playing. The rest was load screens.

Game was definitely not built with posting Dodo codes out in the open in mind.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
On the one hand, load screen hell

on the other, a million bells

(there's a loving Nook Miles task for "net 10 million bells profit in turnips", and yes it's net not gross, it's brilliant and also evil)

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

man nurse posted:

Not to beat a dead horse some more but like, I just spent half an hour on someone’s island. Maybe five minutes of that was me actually playing. The rest was load screens.

Game was definitely not built with posting Dodo codes out in the open in mind.

How in the world did they think that Dodo Codes were going to be used??? This is what I truly do not understand.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

flatluigi posted:

I think it has to sync everything when someone new joins, it's just that the person arriving gets to see the nice dodo cutscene including the flyover and the people on the island get... a load screen

The airport board thing is cute but then it just...........sits there while a lovely airplane transition thing happens underneath it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for everyone who visited, I hit those 3 Nook visitor achievements in like 10 minutes, ha!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Policenaut posted:

Has anyone met the Bowie Cat yet I wanna know who they are.

His name is Raymond and he has a really cute smile.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Like if the cutscenes need to be that long for syncing/connecting purposes I guess I get it but that kinda sucks and I hope they try and work on it

If they don't need to be that long then for the love of god make them faster!!!!!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks for everyone who visited, I hit those 3 Nook visitor achievements in like 10 minutes, ha!

thanks for opening up! was cool to get some of them southern hemi bugs and fish

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

how do you water flowers without going through 5 flimsy watering cans a day? do they only need to be watered until mature to flower or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Marzzle posted:

how do you water flowers without going through 5 flimsy watering cans a day? do they only need to be watered until mature to flower or something?

Upgrade to the non-flimsy watering can. It waters multiple flowers at a time.