Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Agony Aunt posted:

Being unknowingly (or unawaredly?) racist does seem to be a british thing.

I'm originally from the UK, and I can confirm this.

Dr. Honked fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SelenicMartian posted:

They need to meet the Britishness quota.

This reminds me of a question I forgot to ask after the reveal that SQ571/2 production had been moved to Germany under Brian Chambers: does that mean no more tax credits for being super Britishly British?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/UQNtPLC.mp4

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
didn't even flinch

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Taking a break from half life alyx. It's good. Very good.

I'm still loling that a new half life game came out before SC collapses.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The chad dream vs the virgin experience

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

so you haven't read the comments yet have you
that's exactly what they're saying

I think by this point many of us can predict without even looking what the excuses will be.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

marumaru
May 20, 2013

star citizen: quarterly three-week hiatus

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

Quick question for you all and all the supporters!

Is there any aspect of Star Citizen that is feature complete and is exactly like expectations?

I'm genuinely trying to think of something and I can't. I guess trading is pretty close, in one sense. The consoles work (sometimes- the trade bug is still there a year later), the items appear/disappear from your ship, you can carry individual boxes around and land and sell them for various prices. That all seems to work but I wouldn't say it's like expectations because the economy of the game is so hosed that one or two big trading ships can completely monopolize all the good routes for a server.

Lou Takki posted:

The website where you buy more ships with real money is probably feature complete.

In point of fact no, it has broken links and rotted code all over the place. Parts of it haven't been updated since 2015. Basically they polish up the very newest page in time for a sale, then dump it, never to be touched again. Most of the ship stats on the pages where money is actually taken for them are so out of date that they aren't even wrong anymore, they list features that have been dropped from the game entirely.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 23, 2020

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
“Fear of the future leads to salt. And bitcoin.”

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

From what decade are these images?

Or is it which decade?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Limerick contest :gary:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm playing Half Life Alyx and thinking how far we've come, it hammers home how poo poo star citzen truly is again

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

There once was a game dev named Chris,
who thought he'd make spacemen go piss.
While his toilets refactored
he blew money on actors,
and assured his fans nought was amiss.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Manchildren want to take flight
In the starry black of space night
They get in their ships
Their frame rate then dips
Because star citizen is absolute shite

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Hey wasn’t Theatres of War supposed to launch early this year and save PC gaming?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I’m strapped to my faithful Polaris
Doing science with a jar of stale piss,
When lo and behold
I’m sucked into the hold
I hope it’s first contact, what bliss!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pixelate posted:

Hey wasn’t Theatres of War supposed to launch early this year and save PC gaming?

If you think SC is a bore
Just wait til you play theatres of war
This poo poo has been seen
It was called star marine
We've all been here before

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

trucutru posted:

How ignorant! I'm positive that is a Space Salta Pa'trás

Mayyyybe a Space Tente en el Aire

Typical thought process of an Imperialist enabler!

I'll have you know sir, all of our manservants are accorded nothing but the highest respect while we wait silently in the dark waiting to rape them!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Pixelate posted:

I’m strapped to my faithful Polaris
Doing science with a jar of stale piss,
When lo and behold
I’m sucked into the hold
I hope it’s first contact, what bliss!

peter gabriel posted:

If you think SC is a bore
Just wait til you play theatres of war
This poo poo has been seen
It was called star marine
We've all been here before

:lol:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Quavers posted:

Lesnick Contest* :yarg:

*DO NOT TRY

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Stay safe space game sceptics.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I'm playing Half Life Alyx and thinking how far we've come, it hammers home how poo poo star citzen truly is again

alyx started development years after star citizen
only one has released

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:

--After playing the first few hours of Half-Life: Alyx, I hope CIG will keep their promise of Kickstarter regarding Virtual Reality, as they said 8 years ago

--They are asked this from time to time and their response is always the same. Yes they plan on implementing VR. They are designing the mechanics, new UI, etc with VR in mind, but the game needs to be a lot further along before they implement support.

I doubt, though, we'll get VR to the level of 1:1 control of hands in game with the VR-specific controllers. The VR in Star Citizen discussion has always been, to date, just using the headset to control your point of view while using normal PC controls, joysticks, HOTAS, etc to play the game.

--Last we heard on VR was that it needed Vulkan to be added first before they can properly tie it in. AFAIK though it was purely for visuals and not interaction the way VR games (with Alyx setting a new standard) have been focusing on. I'm sure that would be even farther down the road if they do plan on adding it and I'm sure CR will after seeing Alyx lol.

--I just hope they finish the game with at least 75% of the features. If they want to add vr later that's great but I rather have a fun MMO to play then a empty universe to look around in.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lou Takki posted:

The website where you buy more ships with real money is probably feature complete.

You got a point. :hmmyes:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Same here, the game is set in the year 2950 so why would anyone even know what a turtle is?

Pretty sure they knew about turtles in WW2, and how turtles played a very important role during Operation Turtle where a submarine went behind enemy lines to stop a bigger sub fleet from reaching Colorado and launching their ICBMs on Cheyenne Mountain. Luckily there was one man determined enough to stop this atrocity, using turtles as his guide through the minefield.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

alyx started development years after star citizen
only one has released

Yea but can alyx become cook

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

Pretty sure they knew about turtles in WW2, and how turtles played a very important role during Operation Turtle where a submarine went behind enemy lines to stop a bigger sub fleet from reaching Colorado and launching their ICBMs on Cheyenne Mountain. Luckily there was one man determined enough to stop this atrocity, using turtles as his guide through the minefield.

:patriot:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Star Citizen: turdles all the way down

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:

--After playing the first few hours of Half-Life: Alyx, I hope CIG will keep their promise of Kickstarter regarding Virtual Reality, as they said 8 years ago

--They are asked this from time to time and their response is always the same. Yes they plan on implementing VR. They are designing the mechanics, new UI, etc with VR in mind, but the game needs to be a lot further along before they implement support.

I doubt, though, we'll get VR to the level of 1:1 control of hands in game with the VR-specific controllers. The VR in Star Citizen discussion has always been, to date, just using the headset to control your point of view while using normal PC controls, joysticks, HOTAS, etc to play the game.

--Last we heard on VR was that it needed Vulkan to be added first before they can properly tie it in. AFAIK though it was purely for visuals and not interaction the way VR games (with Alyx setting a new standard) have been focusing on. I'm sure that would be even farther down the road if they do plan on adding it and I'm sure CR will after seeing Alyx lol.

--I just hope they finish the game with at least 75% of the features. If they want to add vr later that's great but I rather have a fun MMO to play then a empty universe to look around in.

This has been discussed a million times, but the core component of a good VR Experience is putting the player first, building your game from ground up with VR in mind, and creating a narrative that involves technical programming to allow dynamic interactions while still appearing natural.

There is no way you will pry Chris Roberts away from making a movie, and every single thing he can get motion capture of to help make it feel like a movie will happen.

There is a huge difference between a movie of a player throwing a helmet on their head where the camera and movement is controlled by whoever animated it, and somebody dynamically bouncing a helmet on their head using VR tools.

The ability for CIG to make a VR experience that is not terrible is pretty much zero. Expect control to always be taken away from you, and for awkward movement that gives you vertigo at the very best option.

At the very worst... there will be no VR in Star Citizen because it's not the way of Chris Roberts as a film maker and you must be crazy if you think CIG staff has sufficient knowledge and experience to pull it off, and the likelihood of them attracting developers who can is unlikely.

However...
Comedy option though is the whole mess is outsourced to some Chinese devs and they give them all the graphics assets to make a Star Citizen game with. :)

The longer this game drags on the more I believe in them outsourcing the whole thing to some third party just to get something out the door with Star Citizen graphics.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

They are using the China accounting method where number always go up no matter what is actually happening.

China actually forecast nearly the same increase this year as last year despite a global pandemic.

Chinese growth figures are figured out differently to everyone else. They work on the orders rather than the receipts (they had an interesting housing bubble based on growth being propped up with entirely empty buildings).

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

There is no way you will pry Chris Roberts away from making a movie, and every single thing he can get motion capture of to help make it feel like a movie will happen.

HL: Alyx owns. CR is going to ask his crew to "get on" VR development pronto.

Everyone will buy an Idris and literally live in it in VR since the world is in lockdown.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Since Chris Roberts has so saving PC gaming, is he now going to save VR gaming too?

We are so blessed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I loving love that CIGs bug report page includes "PLATFORM"

As if the Linux version that was supposed to come out wasn't axed right out of the gate anyways.

And just loving lol at anyone who thought that would actually exist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytek posted:

Typical thought process of an Imperialist enabler!

I'll have you know sir, all of our manservants are accorded nothing but the highest respect while we wait silently in the dark waiting to rape them!

Manservant? Please! They are associates!

What I like the most of that image is that it was obviously drawn by someone whose father was castizo and whose mom was espanola.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit::

--Will someone please explain to me the rationale of /r/starcitizen_refunds? Seriously, it looks like they're either ignoring the playable alpha or are hiding their malicious intent towards the game.

CIG isn't perfect, no white knighting here, and the game is not as good as it could be. That said, how do these people come to the conclusion that the project is a scam?3

--THEIR vision didnt come to fruition they way THEY wanted it

Ignore the rest of reality and throw a slow moving tantrum

--Some of them see themselves as saviors: “it’s obviously a scam, those sheep can’t see it, I need to convince them. If I can just save one person from giving money to this.” That sort of thing.

--They're the really creepy ones but easy to spot.

There is a lot of different personality there though. The ones who try to pose as new players on this sub asking questions are the worst.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dementropy posted:

:reddit::

There is a lot of different personality there though. The ones who try to pose as new players on this sub asking questions are the worst.

Lol, nothing illustrates how toxic the star citizen reddit community is more than this statement.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pharohman777 posted:

Lol, nothing illustrates how toxic the star citizen reddit community is more than this statement.

I wonder how many people they have driven away from the community and game when potential new players have gone to the sub with their concerns and got hit with a wall of hate in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen is so old it is unlikely to have new players. I leave the consequences of this to the readers imagination.