Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't really count Sting because, as much as he should've won at Wrestlemania, I don't think it really hurt him that much as a potential draw. The injury against Seth was an accident so while in hindsight the run feels underwhelming because it was 2 losses and then it was over, it was kind of out of their control.

Yeah, but if he had won, they could have done Sting/'Taker at the next 'Mania, which probably would have added a few buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, but if he had won, they could have done Sting/'Taker at the next 'Mania, which probably would have added a few buys.
I just looked up who Taker actually fought that year and did a lol

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

I just looked up who Taker actually fought that year and did a lol

I can't even remember who he fought, but I'm sure Sting would have been cooler

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
PWT have any active discount codes right now?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How much of Eddie Kingston's gimmick is real? Because I watched a video of him in Progress going after Dragunov and expressing bitterness towards LAX and it's...just a bit tired because it seems like he does always does this, regardless of promotion, talking about how he's better than everyone in the other promotion and complaining about those that did get signed.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

PWT have any active discount codes right now?

AEW store does for 24h. DYNAMITE

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

How much of Eddie Kingston's gimmick is real? Because I watched a video of him in Progress going after Dragunov and expressing bitterness towards LAX and it's...just a bit tired because it seems like he does always does this, regardless of promotion, talking about how he's better than everyone in the other promotion and complaining about those that did get signed.

that was the babyface promo of the year and if you thought otherwise youre as lost as the remaining progress fans

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TriffTshngo posted:

WCW/ECW Invasion
Undisputed Champion Chris Jericho
Booker T winning the World Title at Wrestlemania and the complete lack of willingness to go with he or RVD when the two were the hottest acts to stick around after the Invasion
Goldberg
Devil's Advocate Sean O'Haire (debatable, but everyone thought it was a super cool gimmick for a long time after)
Underdog champions Eddie & Benoit having complete nothing feuds post WM20
Randy Orton vs Evolution
Guys like Jericho and Christian in locked endless midcard purgatory
Making the tag team divisions on each show complete afterthoughts when the TLC Crew and the Smackdown Six were some of the most lauded periods in tag team wrestling history
Refusing to pull the trigger on turning Cena heel early on and potentially having another star as beloved and versatile as The Rock because they didn't want to miss out on 6 months of t-shirt sales
The Divas era (+ the butterfly belt)
Rey's abysmal first World Title reign
Massive devaluing of midcard championships, and even world championships at points
Not letting Heyman do what he wanted with WWECW and just making it a lovely C-show
Treating indie stars of the era like they weren't worth the time of day
Oversaturation of and overreliance on Cena, Orton, and Batista
Cena's success in spite of massive negative reaction leading almost directly to the prevailing mindset over the next decade of "gently caress you, you don't know what you want, I'll tell you what you want," which you could argue Vince always had, but got way more stubborn about as time marched on
Transitioning Michael Cole to lead announcer, a decision that continues to haunt us to this very day
Calendar-locked gimmick PPVs
Giving Money in the Bank to Jack Swagger for some reason
The Nexus
Miz as champion (happened too early, should've been ultimate coward heel champ, feuded with Lawler for some goddamn reason, got concussed & had a bad mania match, etc)
Summer of Punk
The Coward And Blatant Heel John Cena Coercing A Wounded Rey Mysterio Into Defending His Newly Won Championship Against A Fresh Opponent Less Than 2 Hours After Winning It. We Will Never Forget This Injustice, John.
Hall of Pain
18 Seconds
Putting a lot of time and energy into Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus as top champions
Spitefully killing the self-made grassroots campaign of newly found midcard sensation Zack Ryder because he wasn't supposed to get over and gently caress you for actually grabbing the brass ring we're always telling you to grab
Punk's title reign almost always playing second fiddle to Cena + inadvisably turning heel halfway through it
Tout (lmfao)
Guys like Cody Rhodes and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
Dolph Ziggler (who may have been always bad but he was red loving hot in 2012-2013)
Cena vs Orton for the 846th time
Cena vs Orton for the 847th time
The exhausting, frustrating 8 month ordeal of Daniel Bryan's Summerslam-to-Mania
The follow-up feud with...... Kane.
The Wyatt Family
Ambrose vs Rollins feud interrupted by hologram
Triple H and The Authority opening every goddamn episode of Raw like it was 2003 and he finally found a new (worse) Evolution, except this time his wife was there too
Lesnar beginning his trend of holding a championship hostage for months at a time, while nothing is done to elevate the midcard belts to potentially take its place whatsoever
The Roman Experiment begins in earnest, everyone saw it coming 8 months prior and nobody wanted anything to do with it
Bryan is sacrificed at the alter of Roman, which the fans are having exactly none of
Seth's title reign kills my personal interest in watching WWE for good (it is also emblematic of WWE's current absolute nonsensical storytelling; The Authority put him in place as their chosen face of WWE, but continuously create obstacles for him while offering no help. Like what do you want from this guy, Steph, it feels like you're secretly training your coward heel champion to become a valiant babyface???)
The first victims of the NXT Callup are felt: Bo Dallas, Adam Rose, the Ascension, and Tyler Breeze all completely fail to do anything on the main roster but flounder and make people depressed and dread when the next round of callups would happen.
The Quest To Coronate Roman Continues At Wrestlemania 32
Women's wrestling in WWE is taken more seriously; unfortunately this means they now get all the bad, short-sighted booking and flat scripted promos of the men's roster, all while WWE loudly and repeatedly pats themselves on the back for how progressive they are. But hey, no more butterfly belt!
Guys like Rusev and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
The second brand split completely overshadows the Shield Triple Threat, and Dean's run as champion is mostly an afterthought
The Universal Championship is introduced as WWE's first ever permanently cursed title
Cruiserweight Classic is a huge success, and leads to the reintroduction of a Cruiserweight Division on WWE TV. They are segregated from the rest of the roster and treated like a batch of contagious weirdos, and their matches get no time and are never treated with any amount of weight or respect
Vince, HHH, and Dunn try as hard as they can to kill the best thing going in WWE at the tail end of 2016 and beginning of 2017, the Kevin Owens/Chris Jericho storyline. This leads to a disappointing US title match 3rd on the card instead of the Universal Championship match they should have had
Braun Strowman is sacrificed at the altar of Roman
The Quest To Coronate Roman Continues At Wrestlemania 33
Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton have a terrible championship feud, which directly leads to...........
Jinder. Jinder.
Creative frustrations after the Festival of Friendship debacle lead Jericho to strike a deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling and eventually parting ways for good with WWE, which contributes to the steady rise of NJPW's western following and eventually the birth of AEW
Japanese stars Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka win the 2018 Royal Rumbles to great reception by fans only to both fail in their title matches and be made to look like complete buffoons in the months afterward.
NXT callups continue to disappoint
Guys like Sami Zayn and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
Brock holds Shinsuke's pants Universal title hostage for a year and a half, killing every challenger with a single F5 so Roman can kick out of 5 of them
Braun Strowman once again sacrificed at the altar of Roman
Daniel Bryan makes seemingly impossible comeback to wrestling after being forced to retire 2 years prior, spends most of 2018 being completely wasted in heatless feuds with Big Cass and Miz
The Quest To Coronate Roman Continues At Wrestlemania 34
WWE enters a 10 year deal to serve as a propaganda tool for Saudi Arabia, in exchange for money they allegedly haven't actually been paid yet
Guys like Finn Balor and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
Shane McMahon is just all over the goddamn show it's a drat disgrace
Braun Strowman once again sacrificed at the altar of Roman
Seth, Dean, Ziggler, and a returning Drew McIntyre also used as tools for the sole purpose of getting Roman over
Joe "Roman Reigns" Anoa'i announces his Leukemia has returned, vacates Universal title, forced to leave for 4 months, possibly exposing a teensy flaw in Vince's grand vision in the process
Dean Ambrose made to turn heel at the expense of Roman's leukemia announcement and have poorly booked feud with Seth that neither particularly want, while behind the scenes fighting Vince tooth and nail to prevent the complete assassination of his character while being told "it's such good poo poo! This is YOU!" This leads directly to Jon Moxley's resurgence and career renaissance upon leaving WWE
Many rate 2019 as one of the worst years creatively in WWE's history. Kofi Kingston's WWE championship win is widely praised but the ensuing title reign proves lackluster and it ends extremely poorly. The rest of the company is plauged by a series of poorly thought out, reactionary format changes such as the WILDCARD RULE! and the now bi-annual SUPERSTAR SHAKEUP! along with an increased reliance on an ever decreasing pool of nostalgia acts and part-time champions. Also there was that weird poo poo with the 2/3 falls matches
Seth Rollins' reigns as champion is marred by an extended Baron Corbin feud, the obnoxious pushing of his relationship with Becky Lynch, and proving to be a real unlikable piece of work on twitter all year
Guys like Aleister Black and Andrade (and Cesaro) locked in endless midcard purgatory
Baron Corbin is just all over the goddamn show it's a drat disgrace
Shorty G.

And that leads us into 2020 where I'm sure you know what's happened so far.

At some point this morphed from me listing out "WWE's Biggest Missed $$$ Opportunities" and more just typing out all the stupid garbage they've done but I'd like to think most of that stuff at least partially contributed to the spot they've been in recently where the only things keeping them going at the level they are are these outrageous TV deals and Saudi blood money that they probably don't actually have yet
someone sell this as a t-shirt

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Randaconda posted:

I can't even remember who he fought, but I'm sure Sting would have been cooler

here comes the :20bux:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

I Before E posted:

Allegedly Matt's wife stiffed Ibushi on Golden Elite shirt royalties and that caused bad vibes between him and the Elite guys, I don't think it's been particularly substantiated though.
Isn't it implied from his social media postings that Ibushi comes from wealth anyway?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Coaaab posted:

Isn't it implied from his social media postings that Ibushi comes from wealth anyway?

I believe most of that comes from here: https://ibushistyle.tumblr.com/

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

flatluigi posted:

the entire reason why queerbaiting is an issue is that it's done by straight people to give lip service to being inclusive without being inclusive. kenny isn't straight, so it's not queerbaiting, period.
The casting of straight actors in queer roles is an entirely separate issue from queerbaiting.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The casting of straight actors in queer roles is an entirely separate issue from queerbaiting.

queer people playing queer roles is not queerbaiting, as much as you want it to be

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

flatluigi posted:

queer people playing queer roles is not queerbaiting, as much as you want it to be
I don't want it to be. And they're not in queer roles unless it gets confirmed. When it's just hinted at, but never confirmed, that's what queerbaiting is. That's just what it means. Chill out with the hostility.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Might not be my place to get into it but the subtle 'are they or aren't they' stuff has been around forever and since bookers didn't put it on them as a gimmick it could just be the way they want(ed) to tell their story. Yearning and not spilling your guts is a very general manga/anime thing. Even though intent isn't everything, it seems like there could be situations where it does matter and differentiate some things, such that everyone can tell the same kinds of stories. I don't have the perspective that is probably necessary to argue about queerbaiting, so I'm more wondering if it's at all possible that they aren't rather than trying to say they aren't. I think if it's just a cold hard fact because of literal definitions of words then that's that, but it does present kind of a crappy roadblock to some things, in order to not be doing something lovely.

edit: realized I should take into account that I can't plaster stuff like that type of story onto minorities like it's all the same. I maybe should not have posted. if this post is a bit too privileged or myopic I am ok to remove it. Oh boy. the website is running very slow for me. I don't know if it's only me.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 20, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
One of the weird things about the Golden Lovers reunion was just how HARD New Japan went on the romantic subtext and outright text (the confetti for the hug, the English announcers—especially Callis—talking about how you don't need to label their relationship but it was much deeper than being a tag team, Milano in tears on commentary, Cody's "KENNY DOESN'T LOVE YOU LIKE *I* LOVE YOU!" weeks earlier, the minidoc of them training at the dojo where they're clearly supposed to be more than just friends, etc), only to then abruptly abandon it. All while ROH of all places went arguably even further in that direction to set up Cody-Kenny at the New Orleans Supercard of Honor, with all of that stuff about Cody getting Brandi to kiss Kenny and make him question his sexual orientation/love for Kota.

SOMETHING happened, and I doubt it was a Gedo thing given the over the top romantic reunion. Maybe something to do with Harold Meij (as a toy company guy) coming on board? Timing would kind of fit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm i didn't notice any sudden shift but maybe that was because i was following it in roh too. they weren't going to kiss so after they got back together i dont know what you do to escalate that in a new japan context. like in a will-they-wont-they plot on tv, once they get together the story has pretty much culminated

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Look, we're all still angry that the Sequel Trilogy didn't ship Finn and Poe.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So back in the early nineties (I was in a very famous TV show) Lawler joined WWF with his heel King persona. So I like his absurd "I am the King because I call myself the King and I can also be funny" persona, but why did they not also include the brutality he had in Memphis? Maybe it's just me, but I like the idea of this goofy delusional beefy dude calling himself the King and making cracks, but then in the ring he gets all pissed off at the perceived disrespect and just becomes loving vicious. It's such a lost opportunity. I would chalk it up to the investigations into him at the time, but he's also been employed ever since.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So back in the early nineties (I was in a very famous TV show) Lawler joined WWF with his heel King persona. So I like his absurd "I am the King because I call myself the King and I can also be funny" persona, but why did they not also include the brutality he had in Memphis? Maybe it's just me, but I like the idea of this goofy delusional beefy dude calling himself the King and making cracks, but then in the ring he gets all pissed off at the perceived disrespect and just becomes loving vicious. It's such a lost opportunity. I would chalk it up to the investigations into him at the time, but he's also been employed ever since.

He kind had it at the start when he attacked Bret Hart at the KOTR but yeah he quickly went to be a comedic wrestler.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's too complex for Vince. He likes things to be a superficial, as simple, as they can be.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

It's too complex for Vince. He likes things to be a superficial, as simple, as they can be.

Vince truly thinks the audience is dumb as poo poo

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

I wonder how it would have all gone over -- Lawler was obv playing a heel in WWF, but was THE massive babyface in Memphis. How would WWF fans have reacted to that?

At that point I think it might have been absurd to try what they did later with Bret (face in one place, heel everywhere else).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, I'm talking about keeping him a heel. But have his gimmick continue as this delusional self-aggrandizing rear end in a top hat that is the King because he says so, and can occasionally get off a funny crack. But then in the ring he takes out his frustrations at being perceived as a joke by cheating his rear end off and being pretty brutal. I could have enjoyed that but he was always portrayed as a joke, which makes his two-year long feud with Bret even more loving maddening.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Oh, I'm talking about keeping him a heel. But have his gimmick continue as this delusional self-aggrandizing rear end in a top hat that is the King because he says so, and can occasionally get off a funny crack. But then in the ring he takes out his frustrations at being perceived as a joke by cheating his rear end off and being pretty brutal. I could have enjoyed that but he was always portrayed as a joke, which makes his two-year long feud with Bret even more loving maddening.

I'm not too familiar with WWF in 1992, except for what little I watched at work (I sold televisions), but it seemed a little too cartoony at that time for violent, bloody brawls? Am I wrong there?

Plus, Lawler wasn't made by Vince, so it was gonna take a miracle to get him over. See Dusty, Harley, etc. And Lawler wasn't quite in THEIR league.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What are the most underrated video packages? Everybody knows the Rock vs Austin WM17 one but I prefer the 19 one:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pps7

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Randaconda posted:

Vince truly thinks the audience is dumb as poo poo

Taking them as a collective I'm not even sure he's wrong.

Hot Take: I don't think the Nexus was that great. Their debut was awesome then Bryan left and suddenly you're left with a group where the best member is Wade Barrett, a guy who spent his entire WWE career constantly getting retooled. Slater would be another Peter Avalon in AEW, Justin was a decent flippy-do but did he have anything else going for him? Skip Sheffield didn't even have 'being Ryback' going for him, Tarver got turfed out because he was a useless turd and Otunga was a man of many talents but wrestling wasn't one of them. maybe if Barrett had become WWE champion things would change but I'm not positive they would have.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 23, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

What are the most underrated video packages? Everybody knows the Rock vs Austin WM17 one but I prefer the 19 one:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pps7

I dont have a rip of it but the video package for Bryan Danielson vs Takeshi Morishima before their match at Final Battle 2008 was really well done and was a great summary of their 18 month feud

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChrisBTY posted:

Taking them as a collective I'm not even sure he's wrong.

Hot Take: I don't think the Nexus was that great. Their debut was awesome then Bryan left and suddenly you're left with a group where the best member is Wade Barrett, a guy who spent his entire WWE career constantly getting retooled. Slater would be another Peter Avalon in AEW, Justin was a decent flippy-do but did he have anything else going for him? Skip Sheffield didn't even have 'being Ryback' going for him, Tarver got turfed out because he was a useless turd and Otunga was a man of many talents but wrestling wasn't one of them. maybe if Barrett had become WWE champion things would change but I'm not positive they would have.

I could see the Nexus not working long term, but why strangle it in the crib?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yet all they had to do was book them as a bunch of scary guys who would pop out of the crowd, beat people up and then hold them down for Justin Gabriel to break their ribs. Even if the individual guys in the group were Not Great, it's so drat easy to book around that you'd have to be actively trying not to

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Nexus was the definition of a faction being more than the sum of its parts, because as a crew they had a real good thing but it's not like the WWE would allow them exist without ruining them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

karmicknight posted:

The Nexus was the definition of a faction being more than the sum of its parts, because as a crew they had a real good thing but it's not like the WWE would allow them exist without ruining them.

I think worst case, it could have set up Barrett and Dragon to be upper midcarders. Which you need!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Nexus was a huge turd waiting to happen because WWE developmental at that time sucked and all of the talent basically sucked. Really sucked. Half of the faction was just useless.

Wade Barrett: Good promo, below average wrestler. Could be protected and be something.
David Otunga: Horrible wrestler, OK talker but you don't need two promo only guys in a faction.
Michael Tarver: Horrible wrestler, who knows what kind of a promo.
Heath Slater: Good wrestler, good personality, but not really a star.
Justin Gabriel: Above average wrestler, not really a great promo or personality.
The Ryback: Would need to be hidden in the ring, just like Wade.
Darren Young: Really bad wrestler, I guess an ok personality?
Bryan: Gone after week 1.

This was not a recipe for success especially after the locker room chased them off. I get why people were excited at the time but it has been 10 years you can admit WWE's horrible talent evaluation and training was not going to lead to anything good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

justin gabriel is very handsome

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alaois posted:

justin gabriel is very handsome

MRT is just jealous of Carlito’s hair.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
John Cena never wore the shirt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:negative:

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I don't know why, but a random question popped into my head earlier: was there a definitive point where the "What" chants took on an (annoying) life of their own, or was it pretty much immediately after Austin started doing them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Angle also made them work great. From memory (which admittedly ain't the best) I believe it was after Austin and Angle left that the What!?! chants got out of control, because it also coincided with Vince becoming more of a micro-manager who insisted wrestlers stick to their scripts and speak in a cadence that left giant gaps for the audience to fill, but the wrestlers also weren't allowed to improv against them like Austin and Angle did. So maybe roughly 2006ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Based on those scripts that got leaked a few years ago, there are literal instructions for the wrestler to "pause for reaction." The problem, of course, comes when he's not saying anything interesting and the crowd decides to make up their own reaction.

You'd think the company would recognize this problem and adjust their promo style to better control the crowd, but that's just silly talk.