Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing that I don't like about this show is that there are too many stories, so waiting for more of a story I care about takes two weeks to get back to. Stubbs is cool at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is season 3 any better or is it the same Lost-esque gobbledygook?
Its not gobbledygook. Its just poo poo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

captainblastum posted:

It seemed fairly obvious to me that Stubbs didn't want to kill anybody, which is why he didn't use a gun.

The real question is why did four dudes with guns run away from one with an axe?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
When does Adam Jensen show up on this new Deus Ex show?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Lmao why on earth is there not a “shoot on sight, extreme prejudice” policy for any host or person behaving even slightly oddly after half the loving staff got murdered? Seriously, the cartoonishly incompetent human security is one of the dumbest things about this show. In the first season it makes sense that they’d be less than top of the line after no incidents for 30 years. But in last season and this every human goon has made stormtroopers look like green berets.

Also maybe don’t have superstrong robot janitors in the same facility as the rogue AI?

This show is still extremely well made and acted and scored though, and the set design is gorgeous. World building stuff like the AI VA therapist and crime app are cool too. I’m watching it for that at this point.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 24, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's like a michelin starred place made fast food.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, the first episode was a little contrived in its wink and nudges to how reality is probably fake again and everyone's a robot. It was still fine because Aaron absolutely nails his part, and it made me look forward to the moment when Bernard inevitably finds the Chekovs Malware in his code.

The shitshot that was episode 2 though... I don't even know where to start on the toddler level twists and turns so I won't bother, and why would they willingly remind anyone of Game of Thrones?

It shouldn't be that much to ask that they take a few lessons from season 2. We don't want or need a third and even sloppier version of season 1. Can we please just progress to futureworld now and get our cyberpunk on?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Still Dismal posted:

Lmao why on earth is there not a “shoot on sight, extreme prejudice” policy for any host or person behaving even slightly oddly after half the loving staff got murdered? Seriously, the cartoonishly incompetent human security is one of the dumbest things about this show. In the first season it makes sense that they’d be less than top of the line after no incidents for 30 years. But in last season and this every human goon has made stormtroopers look like green berets.

Also maybe don’t have superstrong robot janitors in the same facility as the rogue AI?

This show is still extremely well made and acted and though, and the set design is gorgeous. World building stuff like the AI VA therapist and crime app are cool too. I’m watching it for that at this point.

Everything around Maeve was a simulation designed to tease her into revealing what she knew about the Forge and the current whereabouts of the information in it. The simulated guards acting dumb if it furthers that goal is entirely reasonable

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

At this point it feels like Maeve is just breaking the fourth wall every time she is on screen saying "none of this mattahs"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

The shitshot that was episode 2 though... I don't even know where to start on the toddler level twists and turns so I won't bother, and why would they willingly remind anyone of Game of Thrones?
The cameo and episode was almost certainly shot before everyone turned on the final season of GoT.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

The real question is why did four dudes with guns run away from one with an axe?

Yeah... I think that I enjoyed the second season more than most but so far with these 2 episodes it just completely falls apart the moment you think about something for more than 3 seconds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Everything around Maeve was a simulation designed to tease her into revealing what she knew about the Forge and the current whereabouts of the information in it. The simulated guards acting dumb if it furthers that goal is entirely reasonable

I think he was talking about the “real world” Stubbs/Bernard plot. You can say they didn’t want to kill their (former) boss and have approximately zero discipline but it still feels weird.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
They're clearly in a simulation running outdated code that didn't get the GoTsuxnow update.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They could have at least just had Bernard lay on the ground behind the desk first to hide him. Then replace the fight scene with Stubbs explaining why he's there. Then maybe have Bernard bolt up when he's done, reveal himself, then do that first fight scene that is at least believable, then they escape. It would completely avoid the second fight that makes no sense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In case you haven't noticed, Bernard isn't very good at this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still Dismal posted:

This show is still extremely well made and acted and though, and the set design is gorgeous. World building stuff like the AI VA therapist and crime app are cool too. I’m watching it for that at this point.

That is the one thing my wife and I were confused about with last nights episode. I guess they let their guard down with seeing Stubbs, but still.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

Sure, you focus on the axe... but the four armed guards clearly see his plot armor. Shooting him would just piss him off.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I mean that fight was at least kind of exciting, and fun in that he didn't want to kill anyone.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Still Dismal posted:

I could totally believe they'd hire the cheapest goons around precisely because there weren't any incidents for 30 years, and everyone buys into the idea that the incident was caused by Bernard. No Bernard, no problems. Those goons probably just ran back to base, realized it wasn't another robot uprising, and pretended like nothing happened. Like, the only person that'd send it up the chain has a real interest in pretending nothing happened because they're clearly also incompetent.

Still Dismal posted:

I figured the whole thing, apart from being an attempt at prying knowledge out of Maeve´s ball, was a test by Rich French Guy to see whether Maeve was up to the task. He's out to save the world, no way is he gonna cry over a few guards. Also, robot janitors/workers seem ubiquitous, this is probably the equivalent of asking a company to not have forklifts in a warehouse.

Cojawfee posted:

They could have at least just had Bernard lay on the ground behind the desk first to hide him. Then replace the fight scene with Stubbs explaining why he's there. Then maybe have Bernard bolt up when he's done, reveal himself, then do that first fight scene that is at least believable, then they escape. It would completely avoid the second fight that makes no sense.
That is a pretty sensible suggestion. Though I kinda want Stubbs to have almost convinced his former underlings of him having been on some sort of secret mission, then Bernard bolts up, and Stubbs just makes an "aw-shucks" face before just bonking their heads together. Play into the fact that these goons are useless, since clearly they're never going to be portrayed as competent.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was joking when I said this show got GoT's leftover budget but they're literally reusing their assets.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I feel this episode was kinda wasted time in an 8 episode season

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

beanieson posted:

They really were leaning into the GoT references I guess.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
You gotta admire the fact that they spent all the money to make WW2 sets, costumes, and vehicles for one single throw away episode. They are really committed to set design in this show. Even though the episode wasn't really that great, the hour I spent watching it went by faster than a generic hour browsing Reddit would have. And much faster than a generic hour questioning my poor life decisions would have. By that metric, it's a good show.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

beanieson posted:

I'd wait and see if simulation warworld/mesa/etc is a major plot point later.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PopetasticPerson posted:

You gotta admire the fact that they spent all the money to make WW2 sets, costumes, and vehicles for one single throw away episode. They are really committed to set design in this show.
I can't imagine Hollywood doesn't have a bunch of WW2 costumes and vehicles just lying about, and the location itself probably didn't take much work to look like WW2 Italy. Just remove the most obvious modern poo poo and put some Nazi iconography everywhere and you're pretty much done.

beanieson posted:

I feel like this is gonna be the case for any non-Dolores episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There was a little behind the scenes video of them making this episode and they found a town in Spain that could pass for WWII italy and they rented vehicles from all over Europe. That plus making costumes, it must have cost a poo poo ton just for that one segment.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

There was a little behind the scenes video of them making this episode and they found a town in Spain that could pass for WWII italy and they rented vehicles from all over Europe. That plus making costumes, it must have cost a poo poo ton just for that one segment.

It strikes me as a cocky PR thing more than anything else. “Look at all the work we did for this one episode! Aren’t we cool?!”

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Did Maeve take her cyanide pill... and stick it in that nazi's eye? That's really weird.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

Did Maeve take her cyanide pill... and stick it in that nazi's eye? That's really weird.

Yeah, I didn't really get that. I thought maybe it was maybe some sort representation of like a virus that shuts down the host, maybe it was just a cyanide pill.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think it was just so they could fake out the audience.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Anything in your eyes would be painful, I imagine, but yeah, it was a weird take on it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I’ve been googling all sorts of combinations of cyanide pill + eyeball and it’s almost like the internet doesn’t care about this unanswered Westworld moment.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

seriously it was just supposed to look like she was going to take the cyanide pill but then BAM she's back baby action time!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone put a cyanide pill in their eye so we can see what would really happen.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Show is good and fun. :colbert:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

WarWorld, are you serious?

God drat this poo poo is so watered down now. It's a caricature of depth and meaning. I am now in hate watch territory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

WarWorld, are you serious?

God drat this poo poo is so watered down now. It's a caricature of depth and meaning. I am now in hate watch territory.

It's not like it was real. It was probably just made up as a hypothetical park.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

"can't smuggle a vehicle out, so these will have to do"

*Holds up a pair of roller blades, clanging together*

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe it it's all the wars put together. Not just ww2.

*every war from history comes in for a HUGE party*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wait no, I might be back. They used a rick and morty joke to reveal the simulation and slow down time, and that's just kind of a fun trope. What's the square root of -1