Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

7) Despite the complaining I love this game and am wondering if there is a benefit to getting the expansion sooner rather than later.

Which expansion? The Wildcards you probably want to get ASAP if you're enjoying the game - it adds a new class along with two more companions which are accessible right at the start of Act 2, and they're pretty well done. One of them also addresses a minor start of act 2 complaint - namely the lack of a treasurer early on.

Varnhold's Lot is an interesting look at some things going on elsewhere that eventually affect you in the game, but doesn't have much of a direct effect on your main campaign. It's its own separate (very short) mini-campaign using its own set of characters and generics. So get it if you're curious about certain behind-the-scenes happenings, as the campaign is pretty decent, but it's hardly necessary right out the gate.

Beneath the Stolen Lands is the last DLC and addressed a feature complaint from a certain subset of the player base. Namely, it adds a new game mode where you build a complete party and explore a huge, procedurally generated, dungeon. Some effect on your main campaign since the expansion also adds a miniature version of the dungeon onto the map for you to explore (with some decent loot), but it's mostly just building an entire party from level 1 and slowly exploring deeper and deeper on your own time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, I'm a little confused by the interaction of heavy armor, "fighting defensively," and Mobility. Is there a good way to reduce the heavy armor penalty to Mobility so that your heavy armor guys get more benefit from the toggle?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If you mean the "AC increases to +3 with 3 ranks" you just need to put 3 points into it period, it doesn't care about the effective value.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Finished the game yesterday, the game definitely falls apart a bit after Pitax and for the final sprint I actually dropped the difficulty level all the way down to story because fighting exactly the same enemy group over and over again was an uninteresting slog. Didn't get the secret good ending despite plumbing for it because I must have missed a dialogue roll somewhere along the way. The game is good when it's replicating the PnP experience of 'you enter a clearing in the forest, there's a strange monster ahead of you' and bad when it's doing the Bioware thing of throwing wave after wave of mooks at you.

Overall liked it, looking forward to the next one.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
Just got this, and I'm thinking about starting a game as a slayer, with low strength and high dex, taking 3 levels of knifemaster for dex-to-damage and improved sneak attacks. Any reason that would be particularly dumb? And any other class that would be worth taking? I don't see a reason to do more than 3 of rogue, but I also don't see a reason to take 17 slayer levels, so I could do something else as well later, if I had a reason to.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

junidog posted:

Just got this, and I'm thinking about starting a game as a slayer, with low strength and high dex, taking 3 levels of knifemaster for dex-to-damage and improved sneak attacks. Any reason that would be particularly dumb? And any other class that would be worth taking? I don't see a reason to do more than 3 of rogue, but I also don't see a reason to take 17 slayer levels, so I could do something else as well later, if I had a reason to.

Slayer gives full Base Attack Bonus and the option to get ranger style feats in place of rogue talents. This is a big bonus. It also allows you to stuff you may lack prerequisits for.
Full rogue gives other options, including a few things Slayer 'rogues' don't have like Debilitation (AFAIR) which can give a whopping -8 AC and/or to-hit vs the rogue when they sneak attack something (and -6 to other people).

You can absolutely combo the classes, in the way you just mentioned, but there's a reason both exist. (Slayer/ranger archery with menacing style and a level of Thug rogue can be hilarious)

Or you can just play an alchemist vivisectionist which is basically a cheat code. (3 rogue dip is fine there too).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

junidog posted:

Not particularly dumb at all, but also not necessarily seeing the benefit over going full-on rogue if you wanna go dex & knives, or full-on str slayer which to me seems straight up better overall than dipping rogue and going dex.

To me the slayer's/ranger's big advantage is that they can get all the TWF stuff AND all the strength dps/crit boost stuff in tandem (or the shield bashing stuff, which gets quite bonkers when combined with sneak attack dice and a keen rapier/scimitar/kukri), earlier than everyone else, even without a super high dex investment (e.g. 14/15 is plenty enough).

So rogue/slayer feels like a false synergy/nonbo to me, at least where simple solo dps is concerned (it does have advantages in other areas). Full slayer might only get d6s sneaks but also more attacks much earlier... and doesn't *need* dex-to-hit dex-to-dmg dex-to-CMB feats (dirty trick's really good, you guys) because they can absolutely fight and dual wield effectively with str. I guess the question I'm asking myself when considering the combo is "why do you want low str high dex to begin with ?".

OTOH, slayer/barb 2 or 4 gives you a "more damage pls" toggle w/ a bite attack, uncanny dodge, faster movement speed - all things the straight slayer can't achieve, at the cost of a little bit of sneak damage (or accomplished sneak attacker ; but you prolly want Extra Rage more). Slayer/vivi 2 (feral mutagen) or 4 (preserve organs & 40 min mutagen) should also work very well because vivi is cheesetastic and having 3 sneak attacks per round at level 2 is bonkers.

OTTH rogue 4 is *really* good. Those debuffs-on-sneak are not flashy but they're a non-trivial boost to group DPS or survivability vs beefy single targets in the long run.
Which is also why, if I were to go with a Slayer/Rogue build (and evasion+debilitating injury are drat good reasons to do that), I'd pick Thug over Knifemaster. d8 sneaks over d6 is a pretty marginal improvement even by the time you have 10 sneak dice (~9.5 per hit - but at this point even without it poo poo just *explodes* from a couple rounds of full attacks anyway). Whereas stacking another 10% chance for the enemy to whiff on each attack ; and do 2 points less dmg per hit, which adds up ; AND be 10% easier to save-or-suck seems really significant.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 21, 2020

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
If you only want dex to damage, there are other sources that don't delay class progression: slashing/fencing grace feats and the agile weapon enchantment. The latter is uncommon and mostly on rapiers and dueling swords iirc, but with the item crafting mod you can put it on whatever you want.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Skimming the available WotR info, I'm reminded once again that so many Cavalier archetypes are complete junk.

Of the ones that Owlcat has chosen (and hopefully some are tweaked):

-Standard Bearer: Junk, trades out your capstone and free combat maneuvers on charge for lovely banner boosts, plus swaps around animal companion and banner. Wow, you can give your party +5 - 10 temp. HP and a little extra damage once a day; wow, your new capstone is almost matched by TWO 1ST LEVEL SPELLS. Also swaps when you get AC/Banner, and I'd much rather have the animal companion at 1st than Banner, though at least this is a wash after a few levels.

I'm legitimately not sure how they could actually improve this to be worthwhile. The ONLY places I've ever seen it used is in small dips (mostly for Battle Herald, which isn't an available prestige class).

-Gendarme: Complete junk, trades out your entire tactician group of abilities and your capstone. You end up with a whole 1 extra feat than you would get otherwise (you get 7 out of Gendarme, as opposed to 3 + 3 for normal Cavalier)... except it's from a limited list and there's multiple of dubious usefulness - and of course there's nothing replacing the non-feat stuff of tactician. The capstone seems decent... until you realize it specifically says it disallows Spirited Charge, which means it actually does the exact same damage as normal Cavalier - the actual change between them is max weapon damage dice on charge crit (Gendarme) vs. guaranteed stagger and possible stun on charge crit (normal Cav)... both are rarely activated, but which is better at 20th should be blatantly obvious.

For improvement, maybe just let you ignore requirements for feats (Spring Attack is on the list) or just let it be all combat feats from the outset instead of only if you run out of the list - still worse than what you get out of Tactician, but is at least better. For capstone... maybe just remove the Spirited Charge ban so you can at least deal more damage than base Cavalier - the crit add is still worse, but whatever.

-Knight of the Wall: Could be alright... but kneecapped by a really stupid limit. It trades out the Tactician branch and Expert Trainer, and modifies Demanding Challenge and Banner. Gives you the ability to add your shield bonus to a steadily increasing number of things - in order, Touch AC/CMD, curse spells/effects, and death spells/effects - to a maximum of half your Cavalier level... kneecapped because it specifically disallows you from counting enhancement bonuses to the shield. This means the absolute maximum bonus you can ever get is +6 with a Tower Shield plus Shield Focus and Greater Shield Focus... oh, and you don't actually GET proficiency in Tower Shields innately. Other changes are changing Demanding Challenge from a penalty to AC to a penalty to attack, and letting you count your shield as a banner with reduced range. Also gives Shield Focus for free and possible access to a few typically Fighter-only feats (mostly pointless or not likely to be in the game).

This really suffers from "why don't you just play a Paladin?" but could at least be better by removing the "enhancement bonus doesn't count" clause. Also might be called Knight of Arnisant in-game, depending on whether they're allowed to reference that.

-Disciple of the Pike: ...Okay I guess? Trades out basically everything non Tactician and Challenge related for stabbing big monsters with polearms. Small but increasing dodge bonus depending on how large the creature is, Weapon Training for polearms, decent boost to the ability to charge (bigger charge bonus with no penalty, and can charge through difficult terrain). Also get a 1/2 class bonus to Knowledge checks to identify monsters. Capstone is basically the exact same as normal Cavalier just with a different name (only difference is removal of the x3 damage with lance clause, since you're on foot).

This is blatantly Hellknight-related, even if not called out as such, but it's functionally alright. The dodge bonus is virtually worthless with how small it is and you not playing a class with access to any other real increases, but the rest of it is at least workable if you want to play it. The Knowledge bonus is nearly worthless in normal PF due to how many categories there are, but might actually be vaguely useful here with the cut down number of skills - though skill points are still going to be an issue. No real clear places where it could be simply tweaked.

-Beast Rider: Oh hey, an actual unambiguously good archetype (within the context of playing a Cavalier). Very simple, trades out your Heavy Armor proficiency and Expert Trainer for access to a much larger mount list. Also lets you ride a mount of your size, ignore armor check penalties when mounted, and even tosses in free Endurance for your animal companion.

Very simple, very good. Bar the one unknown archetype or wanting to play an on-foot character (or tweaks to one of the others), if you're playing a Cavalier just take this archetype and don't look back. You give up virtually nothing from base Cavalier in exchange for a massively increased number of options and some additional bonuses.

Might overview other announced WotR archetypes at some point, but just got to skimming the Cavalier listing and idly decided to put this together. Was somewhat disappointed they didn't go for some more unique archetypes like Green Knight or Daring Champion.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Please do continue, I love reading things like this! Cavalier is a class I only looked into a little bit and thought it sounded a bit underpowered compared to alternatives. Especially with how reliant it is on the mount when thats such a limited mechanic.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Cavalier has the problem that it's a bottom-tier class and also it's got such a limited shtick that nobody bothered to make the stealth power boosts for it that the other bottom-tier classes generally got. Samurai suffer for the same reason.

There are exactly zero archetypes for other classes that give a version of the challenge ability (when there are cross-dip archetypes for basically every other major class ability in the game), which should really give you an idea of what even the writers thought about the class after release.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That latter point isn't entirely fair, since Challenge itself is basically just a non-aligned Smite Evil that's less powerful to account for being usable against everything. And Smite Evil equivalents are already pretty rare on archetypes for other classes, so a subset of it not appearing again isn't really unusual. Actually, I'm having trouble recalling any Smite equivalents on archetypes either (though I'm aware of a few prestige classes), but won't discount one being around somewhere.

On the whole though... yeah, Cavalier is near the bottom due to just how many hoops you have to jump through to get it to do much outside its shtick effectively - and even within it something like a Fighter built correctly isn't likely to be all that much behind... if at all. Beast Master can be a reasonably effective pet class too since they get access to the better animal companions, but you're still falling behind all the others due to having no spells or specific boosts to them.

There are certainly archetypes that make something unique, interesting and arguably pretty effective of Cavalier or Samurai, but you generally have to go digging. Like, I'm particularly partial towards the Warrior Poet archetype for Samurai (combined with the obvious Order of the Songbird), but while it is 1st party Paizo that's still getting pretty obscure at that point.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Was there a good list of announced archetypes for classes?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Was there a good list of announced archetypes for classes?

Well, someone compiled what little we know in owlcat forums
>Bard:Dirge bard
>Fighter:Dragonheir Scion, Armiger, Mutation Warrior(owlcat custom)
>Kineticist: Overwhelming soul
>Paladin: Martyr, Warrior of holy light
>Monk: Zen Archer, Sohei
>Skald :Battle Scion, Court Poet, Demon Dancer, Herald of the Horn, Hunt Caller
>Cavalier: Beast Rider, Disciple of the Pike, Gendarme, Knight of the Wall, Standard Bearer
>Slayer: Arcane enforcer (Owlcat Custom)
>Wizard: Exploiter
>Warpriest: Champion of the Faith, Cult Leader, Disenchanter, Feral Champion, Shield Bearer
>Shaman: Possessed, Spirit Warden, Unsworn, Witch doctor,Spirit hunter (owlcat custom)
>Witch:Hagbound Witch, Hex Channeler, Ley Line Guardian, Winter Witch (a requirement for an unlocked prestige class), Stigmatized witch (owlcat custom)
>Ranger: Arushalae's archetype, owlcat custom that uses Cha instead of wisdom

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think I will take a look at these archetypes to see what they do. Though I too would love it if Lord Koth felt inclined to go into detail on them.

EDIT: Also really wondering what these Owlcat Custom archetypes will be like. Mutation Warrior sounds tempting.
EDIT2: Hmm it looks like there already is a Mutation Warrior archetype for Fighter. Not sure if they are using that or actually making a Custom archetype that happens to have the same name.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 23, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

I think I will take a look at these archetypes to see what they do. Though I too would love it if Lord Koth felt inclined to go into detail on them.

EDIT: Also really wondering what these Owlcat Custom archetypes will be like. Mutation Warrior sounds tempting.
EDIT2: Hmm it looks like there already is a Mutation Warrior archetype for Fighter. Not sure if they are using that or actually making a Custom archetype that happens to have the same name.

That was possibly a mistake in the compilations. Only ones I can check as definite Owlcat customs myself are the 3 companion ones and Slayer's Arcane enforcer

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Do sword saints even use intelligence that much? Because I'm feeling like they don't and I messed up my stats.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Do sword saints even use intelligence that much? Because I'm feeling like they don't and I messed up my stats.

They use the intelligence modifier quite a bit. You add it to your AC(1st level canny defence), your initiative roll(7th level) , critical confirm roll(9th level) and number of attacks of opportunity (11th). Besides, getting all your spell slots and extra casts for your low level buffs is not bad. There is no reason not to have it at 16 from the start, unless you have a specific multiclass in mind.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Don’t they add int to damage against flatfooted enemies as well? If you use improved invisibility or take shattered defenses that’s almost everything. And I think magi get an arcana to add their casting stat to attack rolls, as well. The sword saint builds I’ve seen still prioritize strength or dex, but int does a lot of work for them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

JamMasterJim posted:

They use the intelligence modifier quite a bit. You add it to your AC(1st level canny defence), your initiative roll(7th level) , critical confirm roll(9th level) and number of attacks of opportunity (11th). Besides, getting all your spell slots and extra casts for your low level buffs is not bad. There is no reason not to have it at 16 from the start, unless you have a specific multiclass in mind.

Problem is I sold out my con to get it to 18. But it's good to know that it's useful for all that stuff. I'm only at level 6 so I didn't know all that. But is initiative really that important in RTWP?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

ChrisBTY posted:

Problem is I sold out my con to get it to 18. But it's good to know that it's useful for all that stuff. I'm only at level 6 so I didn't know all that. But is initiative really that important in RTWP?

Initiative is really important in Pathfinder whether you play turnbased or RTWP because if a character hasn't acted in a combat yet, they are flatfooted, and all your fancy AC bonuses go out the window.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mordecai posted:

If you only want dex to damage, there are other sources that don't delay class progression: slashing/fencing grace feats and the agile weapon enchantment. The latter is uncommon and mostly on rapiers and dueling swords iirc, but with the item crafting mod you can put it on whatever you want.

Dunno how it is in KGM, but slashing/fencing grace is only supposed to work with one 1H weapon ; it specifically excludes shield/dual wielding (and flurry of blows).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wasn't actually expecting that much positive response, but sure I'll continue. Moving on with another new class, I'm going to be skimming through the witch archetypes today (+1 prestige class). Starting with...

-Hagbound Witch: Complete and utter junk, you trade out nearly all your hexes (you keep the 6th, 16th, & 18th level ones) for stuff you really don't want in the first place. Namely, you gain two 1d4 claws, an increasing size bonus to STR (ultimately reaching +6), something that gives you disguise self and later alter self, and you turn into a hag for a capstone - darkvision, charm/fear immunity, ability to join a coven (yeah, sure) and SR 31. Note that you gain no armor proficiency or spell failure reduction, you still have 1/2 BAB, and you still have your small d6 hit dice - YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE IN MELEE. Literally the only thing good here would be the SR 31, but that's at the last level.

I'm... not really seeing a way for Owlcat to make this remotely decent. In melee and attacking with STR is really not where you want to be, irrespective of whatever modifications they make to something like that 3rd ability, and for this "privilege" you're trading out basically all your utility. Hell, depending on what witch hexes are in the game, you can do the melee thing better with Prehensile Hair if you really want to go that route, and that'd only cost you one hex.

-Hex Channeler: Complete junk, looks decent at first glance, but not when you actually read it thoroughly. Anyways, you give up your 2nd level hex to gain channel energy as a cleric, picking positive/negative at the start just like them. Seems great, until you notice that last portion which says you only increase this channeling over 1d6 by sacrificing more hex choices. There is one gimmicky strategy here where you take the Extra Hex feat repeatedly in order to crank it up (I believe 19d6 is the final total for investing everything), but that just means you're now investing TWO resources in order to get something that's probably going to get outdone by spells anyways.

Unsurprisingly, the easiest way to improve this would simply be to remove the requirement to keep sacrificing hexes to improve your channeling. This would swing the scale the other way to OP though, so I'm not certain where a decent balancing point of hexes lost would be. Without further information, if you want channeling just play a cleric.

Ley Line Guardian: I'm not a big fan of the second ability this gets, but it is a fine archetype overall. You swap over to CHA casting and spell progression as a sorcerer, and lose your familiar and two hexes for Conduit Surge. Conduit Surge lets you, as a swift action, increase the caster level of your next spell by 1d4-1 (increasing to just flat 1d4 at 8th), but you have to make a Fort save (10+spell level+CL increase) or be staggered for minutes. Staggered is a nasty debuff, and I don't really care for the slight issue that even if you pump your Fort save you're always getting at least a 5% chance to get hit by it, but bonus CL is very nice.

Perfectly fine as-is, other than that if Ember's Stigmata Witch is made available for PCs too then that'll mean there are two CHA-casting witch archetypes available, which is probably excessive.

Winter Witch: Now THIS is a cool archetype, and leads into the prestige class I alluded to. You lose a whole 1 hex, get limitations on what familiar and patron you can pick (the options available are perfectly fine), and cannot learn or cast fire descriptor spells, in exchange for a slew of goodies. You gain +1 DC for all cold spells, increasing cold resistance and eventual cold immunity and two unique hexes. Frostfoot probably won't be in the game, but Frozen Caress absolutely should be - you can add the cold descriptor (and +1d4 cold damage) to any touch spell you cast... please refer back to that DC increase for all cold spells. Also refer to Prehensile Hair, letting you deliver touch attacks at range (or the metamagic to do so). Oh, and you add the Ray of Frost cantrip to your spell list - sure, fine, whatever.

Very simple archetype, but what it adds is quite nice and you don't give up much to get it. Is also the ONLY way to enter the Winter Witch prestige class, which I'll be covering now for this reason (as there is no real reason to play this archetype if you aren't intending to enter it - it won't be bad, but why would you?).

For the prestige class, at the very first level you gain no caster increase (bad), but gain additional spells for your spellbook (good - Wall of Ice, Icy Prison, Freezing Sphere), and Winter Witchcraft... which advances ALL your witch features as if you were still in that class (INSANELY GOOD). At later levels you gain full CL advancement, the ability to pierce cold resistance, and later cold immunity (at reduced damage, but this is still incredibly good), a stoneshape/fabricate ability usable on ice (no clue if or how this would be carried over), the ability to see through sleet, fog, etc. (again, not sure if this would be transferred) and the ability to burrow through ice. You gain some restrictions on major hexes, in that there are three including a unique one you have to take before moving on to others - that being Numbing Chill which, as a swift action, you can imbue any cold spell with an additional effect, Fort save or take 1d4 DEX damage and be staggered for a round for one creature affected by it. The capstone is a +1 CL for all cold spells... and possibly an additional +1 CL for piercing spell resistance (arguable whether it's just worded badly or intended); also a bunch of +1 dispel/counterspell bonuses, but counterspelling isn't in the game.

This is obviously a fairly one-note archetype/prestige class, but you're not giving up too much to focus on it, and you're crucially gaining the one tool that's nearly completely lacking from elemental specialty archetypes in general in PF - the ability to pierce elemental immunity (and basically just nearly ignore resistance).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looked up Prehensile Hair and just loving the flavor on it, it lets you use your hair as a whip-like weapon and this can include beards, moustaches, or eyebrows. :allears:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Looked up Prehensile Hair and just loving the flavor on it, it lets you use your hair as a whip-like weapon and this can include beards, moustaches, or eyebrows. :allears:

My favorite application is people dipping into witch just so they can use it for fast reloading of guns and such.
Imagine Yosemite Sam using his moustache to reload his sixshooters.

As for Hagbound witch, I hope they give her a patron that will give you Righteous might or polymorph equivalents that stack.

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 23, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, Prehensile Hair is just pretty cool all around and I'm hoping it manages to make it in.

JamMasterJim posted:

My favorite application is people dipping into witch just so they can use it for fast reloading of guns and such.

As for Hagbound witch, I hope they give her a patron that will give you Righteous might or polymorph equivalents that stack.

I mean it'd help, but you're still being forced to essentially stay in melee range with a class that has less defensive tools than Sorc/Wizard (Witch is missing Mirror Image, for example). And given that also involves changing modifiers somewhere (something I don't recall being done anywhere in Kingmaker), I'm just not seeing it happening. If you really want to play against type and play a melee full spellcaster, I'd say just go Abyssal bloodline Sorcerer - you still get claws (much better ones at that, albeit not permanent), your STR bonus is inherent and thus stacks with basically everything, and your spell list is overall better. Hell, just dump points into UMD and you can simply use scrolls of Righteous Might.

Maybe if Hagbound didn't lose virtually all your hexes I'd be less harsh - it'd still be terrible, but at least you wouldn't be giving up practically every class feature for that "privilege." That it really is directly comparable with Abyssal bloodline and comes off looking extremely lacking doesn't exactly help.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Avalerion posted:

I want to play as an old-timey bare knuckle boxer with a handlebar mustache who multiclasses in Monk and Witch. That way I can have my mustache grow a set of arms and have them join me in pummeling my enemies using Flurry of Blows like I was in some sort of Bugs Bunny cartoon (yes, I know it most likely doesn't work like that, but you have to admit it sounds awesome).

Also, if you're interested in giving the Witch class a test run, you can always install the Call of the Wild mod which adds the class among others, including new feats and abilities. It's designed to be as accurate to how they work in the tabletop game so they fit in to the rest of vanilla Kingmaker almost seamlessly. I think I may try vanilla witch on my next playthrough.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/112

I'd also recommend the Respecialization mod because I need a Paladin in my group dammit and Tower Shield Specialist isn't cutting the mustard, is it Valerie? :argh:

JamMasterJim posted:

I think the official rules for Prehensile Hair is that you can't use it to manipulate weapons, but I suppose it's up to the DM to decide whether or not that counts as manipulation, and if everyone is having fun with it, then who cares?

Also, yes, they need to do something about the Witch archetypes. Vanilla witch has a lot of cool abilities, but most of its archetypes feel like a step down from that.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 23, 2020

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Valerie is the most irritating companion because I totally respect her choice to throw over shelyn but I would never in a thousand years choose to take "random bad fighter" instead of "random paladin of abadar" along on my journey and she's eating up that slot.

I've mostly accepted that I just make a mercenary paladin for group composition and tell valerie she's guarding the keep forever as my compromise, but I can also see telling the only ahteist in a game with tangible provable gods that she's dumb

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

In pathfinder atheist just means you don't think the gods deserve worship, not that you deny they exist. You kind of view them as really, really powerful wizards.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Avalerion posted:

In pathfinder atheist just means you don't think the gods deserve worship, not that you deny they exist. You kind of view them as really, really powerful wizards.

To be fair, that's pretty accurate. There's a Pathfinder god (Cayden Cailean) who was a mortal adventurer that got blind drunk one night and wandered into the Test of the Starstone. He doesn't even remember anything about it other than waking up a god. There's another god -- Irori -- who just self-enlightened himself into godhood.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
There is also actual literal Cthulhu, who lies dreaming in his home in R’lyeh, on Earth. You can be an Oracle of Cthulhu. It is recommended you do not use any of the “consult with your god” spells. I think the level 20 capstone for that turns you into some kind of eldritch horror.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Anias posted:

Valerie is the most irritating companion because I totally respect her choice to throw over shelyn but I would never in a thousand years choose to take "random bad fighter" instead of "random paladin of abadar" along on my journey and she's eating up that slot.

I've mostly accepted that I just make a mercenary paladin for group composition and tell valerie she's guarding the keep forever as my compromise, but I can also see telling the only ahteist in a game with tangible provable gods that she's dumb

Valerie is weaponized boring. Some people just work with the amount of boring they are born with, Valerie trained and honed her skills. She has perfected being boring over the course of a lifetime. She wakes up every morning and makes it her stated goal and purpose to continue her reign of being the dullest person in existence. It's almost interesting how devoted she is to being uninteresting. But it's not. The only reason she is in my party is because my MC and Amiri take too many dirt naps to be my only frontliners and I don't like using custom NPCs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Valerie is weaponized boring. Some people just work with the amount of boring they are born with, Valerie trained and honed her skills. She has perfected being boring over the course of a lifetime. She wakes up every morning and makes it her stated goal and purpose to continue her reign of being the dullest person in existence. It's almost interesting how devoted she is to being uninteresting. But it's not. The only reason she is in my party is because my MC and Amiri take too many dirt naps to be my only frontliners and I don't like using custom NPCs.

Yes if you are going to write a character who's thing is "I don't want to be defined by my beauty" then you kinda have to give them something else to be defined by otherwise it does not come off well.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Didn't they, though? Her whole thing as I read her is that she disdains beauty and art in favour of practicality and being a skilled fighter and loyal protector, but the world keeps trying to define her by her beauty anyway. That can absolutely be a boring character concept (and I'm not sure that Owlcat were able to write/depict her as believably "beautiful"/inspiring enough, or build her ingame as believably competent enough to pull it off) but the intent seems clear enough.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 23, 2020

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Her companion quest is about her realizing that actually she does want to be defined by it just a little - and accepting that's fine.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Trying to get into this game but struggling, even on normal difficulty combat is hellish in comparison to games like poe2, got my rear end handed to me by spiders, really dispiriting

Any recommendations on mods?

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 24, 2020

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ash Crimson posted:

Trying to get into this game but struggling, even on normal difficulty combat is hellish in comparison to games like poe2, got my rear end handed to me by spiders, really dispiriting

Turn based combat and call of the wild and bag of tricks.

Go into call of the wild and tell it you don’t want it to nerf animal companions if you want them to be the standard animal companion from the crpg. It adds a number of extra classes.

Turn based combat can be toggled off once you get used to the game for faster trash fights, but gives you a better sense of what is actually happening during combat which makes figuring out the systems a lot easier.

Bag of tricks is a utility knife of things you can adjust and will let you trivialize or make more difficult one precise thing. Between bag of tricks and the difficulty slider being something you can adjust on the fly, you can very easily tune in exactly what you like. It’s a single player game, if you aren’t having fun please adjust difficulty or rules to have more fun. Want to play dark souls pathfinder? Bag of tricks +unfair will let you make every fight a harder fight. Want to make all the spiders gently caress off because you have arachnophobia? Bag of tricks has a no more spiders toggle. Want to be an immortal god king surrounded by incompetent minions for the comedy pathfinder feel? Bag of tricks can accomodate that too.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
You probably shouldn't be playing on normal? I mean normal is way more powerful than the actual tabletop rpg stats.

Otherwise yeah Bag of Tricks help a lot, Turn Based Mod can change things a bit too.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

You probably shouldn't be playing on normal? I mean normal is way more powerful than the actual tabletop rpg stats.

What on loving Earth. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ash Crimson posted:

Spider swarms right? The swarms are kind of a nasty trap in the early game, especially since they are attached to a side quest you get right away. If you're like level 2 I'd just come back to the spider cave later with more people. If you want to do it now...get a lot of Alchemist fire.

AngryBooch posted:

What on loving Earth. Why?

Normal mode nerfs damage taken across the board and nerfs crit damage. I can't tell either way if stats are inflated from tabletop, I just know that Pathfinder 1E (and D&D in general) has...weirdly fatal monsters.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 24, 2020