Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
vr half life owns bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stux posted:

the new spain tree in hoi4 has options for stalinism, orthodox marxism and anarcho-syndicalism

Yeah but the actual economic-political part is pretty abstracted though

I did enjoy playing as the USSR and winning the Spanish Civil War by immediately sending 4 expeditionary heavy tank divisions.

I had to look up on the Wiki how to maneuver Trotsky into power

Edit: man that game was good, I ended up forming communist Iran and punching the Axis with a double prong through the mediterranean

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 24, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hoi4 has serious paradox dlc issues in that the updated focus trees are in the dlc but the newer focus trees are so incredible. the normal ussr one is like 1/5th of the size of the new ones

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Half-life VR is so loving good, holy poo poo you guys :allears:

SeXReX posted:

vr half life owns bones

gently caress beaten

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i won't know until i finish downloading Seventy Virtual Gigabytes

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
speaking of takes, has anyone tried the sekiro randomizer? i can't imagine the item randomizer matters too much since the loot was mostly vestigal, but the enemy one might give you some interesting situations

since the power curve for your character felt a bit flatter than their previous games, if you're the type to use a randomizer i'm not sure how much boss/enemy order would matter to you

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm working on a paper so I've left my island open while I'm doing so, my code is 85WL4 so come take apples or write poo poo or whatever, i likely won't be paying attention though

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I fired up EU4 and am paralyzed by choice

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I fired up EU4 and am paralyzed by choice

castile is a great starting nation, you have early conflict with grenada, you can colonise really well quickly for good income, you have events that can let you make aragon part of your empire, you can fight into north africa without making all of europe mad at you, just a good nation to learn with. another really good option is the ottomans as theyre extremely powerful, you have a lot of options of things to do as you can expand in three directions and it has lots of events and things going on. the best option is a bigger nation in or around europe to learn with imo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wallachia

May 8, 2006

i did my first eu4 game as the ottomans and ended up quitting because i was the strongest in the world and had had my fill of that game

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Are we still posting lovely hot takes?

Crafting is a garbage bloat mechanic to waste your time and make games seem longer and also enable lovely exploitative lootbox mechanics in MMOs/online worlds. Except in like, survival sims and class-based multiplayer where there's a crafting specialty. And even then, related gathering mechanics are almost always tedious busywork meant to keep you online longer and tempt you with paid shortcuts. Don't even get me started on games where gathering and crafting is the whole point, a phenomenon as alien to me as the concept of volume is to a flatlander.

Crafting just really loving sucks.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

counter point factorio

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Atelier good sorry

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Hot take: E3 being cancelled this year and probably being the beginning of the end of the ESA is a good thing becuase the ESA has outlived its usefulness as an organization and has failed in its goal of preventing government regulation of the games industry by actively fostering an ecosystem that's become predatory to consumers and has gained the attention of multiple governing bodies.

E: Don't read this as me saying "government regulation is good actually," just that the games industry has big problems on the business side that the ESA has chosen to ignore

government regulation is good actually

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McSpanky posted:

Are we still posting lovely hot takes?

Crafting is a garbage bloat mechanic to waste your time and make games seem longer and also enable lovely exploitative lootbox mechanics in MMOs/online worlds. Except in like, survival sims and class-based multiplayer where there's a crafting specialty. And even then, related gathering mechanics are almost always tedious busywork meant to keep you online longer and tempt you with paid shortcuts. Don't even get me started on games where gathering and crafting is the whole point, a phenomenon as alien to me as the concept of volume is to a flatlander.

Crafting just really loving sucks.

Agree. I used to think they were cool but the more games I've played with the more the more its exposed how transparently pointless and grindy it is.

You should only have a crafting system if you can provide a truly wide variety of optional things to craft to player choice. Like the spell crafting system in Morrowind, that's kinda cool. But just "you need 5 wood 10 stone to make hammer" is ultimately busywork.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Agree. I used to think they were cool but the more games I've played with the more the more its exposed how transparently pointless and grindy it is.

You should only have a crafting system if you can provide a truly wide variety of optional things to craft to player choice. Like the spell crafting system in Morrowind, that's kinda cool. But just "you need 5 wood 10 stone to make hammer" is ultimately busywork.

Especially because you only need 1 wood and 1 stone to make hammer in real life

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sometimes theyre good. sometimes theyre bad. it depends on the type of game and the implementation and theyre not blanket good or bad.

and also what you like doing i guess

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Zaphod42 posted:

Half-life VR is so loving good, holy poo poo you guys :allears:

gently caress beaten

https://twitter.com/SecksWrecks/status/1242227003312480271

May 8, 2006

probed on my own island, drat

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddiums animal crossing playstyle is "sicko mode" and she "really goes off on one"

edit: feeling cute might delete l8r

Stux fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 24, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i shook all the trees and branches fell out but i didn't pick them up sorry. i meant to but i forgot. sorry

May 8, 2006

i did that to a friend's island but on purpose, so this is simply karmic retribution for my previous criminal behaviors

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Stux posted:

oddiums animal crossing playstyle is "sicko mode" and she "really goes off on one"

and i look good doing it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

and i look good doing it

[trying really hard to not say anything about the socks] yeah

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they're just black and white stripe socks and they're cute but go off

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

theyre my fav socks also

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

didnt say anything and i support my friends and their socks

May 8, 2006

when oddium arrived to my island I did think 'drat that's a good hair style'

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

heres my passport btw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I made a solemn vow never to cross an animal

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sharrrk posted:

heres my passport btw

same flower

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

animal crossing, is very good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I keep missing goon islands being open

How does the switch decide when to go to sleep?

Anyway my gates are open for now, LMJF4. We have oranges

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im just constantly getting owned by wasps

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I want to see a take so bad I have to walk away from the computer.

Silent Hill: Downpour is not terrible

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

precision posted:

Silent Hill: Downpour is not terrible

Yeah. Do people really hate it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stux posted:

animal crossing, is very good

indeed, i just seen Melba going around with a magnifying glass looking at bugs n flowers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

heres my passport btw

this is powerful