Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think the biggest obstacle here is your thumb. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but right here, it's basically lined up with your index finger, pointing towards the nut, and you're really having to fight against yourself to get the pinky down. Try moving your thumb so it's more in line with your middle and ring fingers and have your thumbnail pointing towards the ceiling; this should give you much more leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

former glory posted:

I'm in the process of learning the 12 bar blues and I'm finding it really difficult to put my pinky down properly on the 6th. If I'm fingering the power chord like I usually do with my index and ring finger, the pinky stretch to the 6th causes it to bend inward like the photo here, and I get a bunch of buzzing and it's pretty uncomfortable. If I finger the power chord with my middle finger on the 5th, I can do it fine, but that's a pretty unnatural way for me to do a power chord and it would be a lot of work to practice getting that down smoothly. Did you guys run into any physical problems like this? How did you deal?

I'm wondering if my pinky is just crappy and I should work around it, or if practice can work this out. I'd much rather stick to standard fingering or maybe a prosthetic pinky. :pram: The third pic is just my hand is a slight claw grip showing how the special pinky bends.

That's pretty normal! When you're doing a wide stretch like that, your fingers have to fan out so they're gonna come in at an angle, especially the pinky. Moving your middle finger up to the 5th is just changing where the spread happens, so it's not as extreme

So yeah, really you just need to work on your finger strength, so it can hold that position solidly instead of kinda collapsing in and sliding away from the fret. (Also helps avoid that even when you're not doing a wide stretch, where it doesn't need to be at an angle). You could try something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zm_ho26O2U

starts around 1:25, you're basically placing each finger down in turn (keeping them down), and moving up the strings and then back down. Then you do it again but with the first finger shifted down a fret (so you've created a 1-fret gap between that and the next finger), and then the same thing but with the pinky shifted out instead, etc. As the finger gets stronger it won't be a problem, and you're less likely to strain yourself

Lester Shy posted:

I think the biggest obstacle here is your thumb. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but right here, it's basically lined up with your index finger, pointing towards the nut, and you're really having to fight against yourself to get the pinky down. Try moving your thumb so it's more in line with your middle and ring fingers and have your thumbnail pointing towards the ceiling; this should give you much more leverage.

yeah that too - the thumb kinda provides some stability and centres the hand, so you can move it more towards the middle of the hand so you're not stretching away from it as much. Like a centre of gravity thing

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

former glory posted:

If I finger the power chord with my middle finger on the 5th, I can do it fine, but that's a pretty unnatural way for me to do a power chord and it would be a lot of work to practice getting that down smoothly. Did you guys run into any physical problems like this? How did you deal?

yeah for doing that shuffle most people just use their middle finger for the 5th to make the stretch with the pinky easier. with practice it gets pretty easy to switch fingerings between the normal power chord form and that

you can also play it as an inversion with the root on the string above the 5th at the same fret. billy gibbons does that a lot

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
During a global pandemic when you don't know if you'll be working from home or out of a job is absolutely the right time to buy a vintage guitar, right? RIGHT?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

widefault posted:

During a global pandemic when you don't know if you'll be working from home or out of a job is absolutely the right time to buy a vintage guitar, right? RIGHT?

Here in Denmark where there's a lockdown, half the music groups on Facebook is musicians worried how to make it through this thing financially. What I'm saying is, in a week or two, you'll be able to get some good deals.

Edit: it's also kind of a lovely thing to take advantage of, but on the other hand, they do need the money.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 21, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is the Digitech RP1000 a good deal for about 150 bucks? I love my old POD HD500, but I think having a backup for it so I don't have to haul a pedalboard full of stompboxes might be good (we are going to do recording sessions, not doing live shows for now, so no worries), and while I'm sure there might be good POD HD500X I can get for a good price, I never really messed with late 00's/early 10's Digitech stuff beyond the Drop Pedal and a Whammy that includes the drop (which made me realize how much I liked my Drop).

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

BonHair posted:

Here in Denmark where there's a lockdown, half the music groups on Facebook is musicians worried how to make it through this thing financially. What I'm saying is, in a week or two, you'll be able to get some good deals.

Edit: it's also kind of a lovely thing to take advantage of, but on the other hand, they do need the money.

Nah, I already bought something, just trying to justify it to myself. Since January I've sold off a shitload of stuff, bought some pedals and cheap guitars and still had a nice chunk left over that was to go towards something really nice as a b-day present to myself. For the last couple weeks I was debating throwing it into savings "just in case", but finally said gently caress it. Now I get to wait and see how screwed I'll be for the next year.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks so much, guys. I'll work on practicing it and will incorporate those stretches into my usual spider warmup routine. You're right Lester, it's not just the angle, my thumb does sit far back during the stretch.

Speaking of Gibbons, I think I'll revisit this video - there's probably a lot more I'll take from it now. If that guy does the altered power chord fingering then I won't really feel bad if I have to resort to that. His Guitar Moves interview with Sweeney is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkzofCTa5SE

e: I just tried the inversion method you mentioned, PCP, and it's nice. Really different. Going from a root 6th only shuffle and alternating the inversion on the next set has a nice feel to it.

former glory fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 22, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
What's the common philosophy for writing bass parts for guitar (or really any lead instrument) for rock/metal?

I read some time ago that your best bet is to not be too opinionated with your bass lines, to avoid biasing the tune towards a specific feel. For example, stick to playing mostly "safe" notes (say... root, minor third, fifth) and letting the guitar for example, lean towards blues, harmonic minor, phrygian dominant and diminished scale phrasing. That way the bass doesn't lock you into a particular feel that now you have to stick to. Instead the bass (and I imagine pads too) gives you a bottom end to play against, but leaves it up to you as the guitarist to get creative. Otherwise if both instruments start getting into wacky scales and modes at the same time, you're guaranteed to constantly generate dissonances, and not the interesting kind.

Of course it's not a "rule" and you can break it all you want, but I'm curious if that's a reasonable guideline to have early on in one's songwriting career?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The way I started writing for bass was literally just play the root of your chord, switch it up by doing some licks (like Root->5th->6th->2nd-> Dim 2nd-> back to Root for the next measure). Now that I've been playing extended range guitars, it's even funner.

Spice your bass player's life up. :)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My bass philosophy is "less is more." Unless you're writing a part that specifically features the bass or you want the bass in unison with another instrument, start with root notes in time with the kick and snare, and slowly add as much complexity as the song needs. John Myung is one of the best bass players alive and can get extremely flashy when he wants, but a lot of his best bass lines just groove on a root and an octave.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
So far, as a bassist, I don't entirely disagree with what's been posted. Roots, fifths, and octaves are great and the bassist really should serve the song and allow others to shine. At the same time, that approach is likely to result in boring bass lines that do their job but not much else.

I really don't think Paul McCartney wrote bass lines the way people are describing, is what I'm saying. Bass is its own instrument, not just a slave to the chord progression master.

Don't write bass parts for songs, write a song that has a great bass part.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DreadCthulhu posted:

What's the common philosophy for writing bass parts for guitar (or really any lead instrument) for rock/metal?

I read some time ago that your best bet is to not be too opinionated with your bass lines, to avoid biasing the tune towards a specific feel. For example, stick to playing mostly "safe" notes (say... root, minor third, fifth) and letting the guitar for example, lean towards blues, harmonic minor, phrygian dominant and diminished scale phrasing. That way the bass doesn't lock you into a particular feel that now you have to stick to. Instead the bass (and I imagine pads too) gives you a bottom end to play against, but leaves it up to you as the guitarist to get creative. Otherwise if both instruments start getting into wacky scales and modes at the same time, you're guaranteed to constantly generate dissonances, and not the interesting kind.

Of course it's not a "rule" and you can break it all you want, but I'm curious if that's a reasonable guideline to have early on in one's songwriting career?

Well it depends on what's going on with the guitars. Keep in mind I learned how to play bass from punk stuff like 88 fingers louie and Operation Ivy then focused hard on Iron Maiden stuff to balance it out.

If the guitars are taking up the melodic parts or being the focus of that part of the song, the bass will just play the root or make a progression to let the guitars shine. The goal of the bass part here is to prop up the guitars as much as possible with doing the roots and some spicy stuff as needed. But if the guitars are doing something simple or kinda droning like a black metal part then I like the bass to take a little bit of the melodic space and do something fancy. If you got the chance to there's some real loving power if you can do two octaves below what the guitars are doing. I hosed around with this for a bit with the guitars playing in B minor (using inversions hinting at lower voiced chords) and using a five string bass. It's fun, give it a shot.

I guess the point I want to make is that don't complicate things too much, take your own opinion into the equation on how to structure it. Depends really on what you're going for. A complicated bass line like in Maxwell Murder fits that song because the guitars are simple as hell and the bass will tag team with the vocals. But in every song on ...And Justice For All the bass could be there but isn't entirely necessary for the songs to be good.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

DreadCthulhu posted:

the ♭3 isn't a safe note at all if you play it over a major chord (the blues notwithstanding, blues harmony is different), and the ♮5 isn't a safe note over any sort of diminished chord. mirror the changes the guitar plays, but focus on the chord tones. if he's playing some goofy poo poo that doesn't correspond well to chord tones (ie you're experiencing what my bandmates do when i bust out the locrian ♭♭3 ♭♭7), play the root and anything with a leading tone from the scale so you can just power through with chromaticism.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Keith's best bit in his entire career with the stones is the bassline he wrote and recorded on sympathy for the devil. Which, incidentally, lands neatly on the third for the A major chord in the verse progression.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The important thing is to avoid everyone doing their own melodic thing. The easiest way to achieve this is to have everyone but one guitar do basic chord progression things, and then have that guitar do some melody. In punk, the bass will surprisingly often be doing the melody stuff instead of the guitar, but the principle is the same. The next step is to get two instruments doing coordinated melody, like harmonies, and so on with more instruments...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

So far, as a bassist, I don't entirely disagree with what's been posted. Roots, fifths, and octaves are great and the bassist really should serve the song and allow others to shine. At the same time, that approach is likely to result in boring bass lines that do their job but not much else.

I really don't think Paul McCartney wrote bass lines the way people are describing, is what I'm saying. Bass is its own instrument, not just a slave to the chord progression master.

Don't write bass parts for songs, write a song that has a great bass part.

Mike Mills is a great example, I think, of a bassist who has such a good understanding of theory, etc that he can make these lovely wandering, super melodic basslines that hit all their marks. So many classic REM tracks are really like 70% him and Bill carrying the main mass of the song with Peter and Michael doing basically the same thing with guitar/voice. Like, you catch yourself humming parts of the song without remembering they’re from the bass track.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

The important thing is to avoid everyone doing their own melodic thing.

worked for sabbath :shrug:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, even the drummer was playing melodically. Bill was such a loving beat back in the day.

Think of it, The Who were basically doing the same thing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My goal for quarantine is to play acoustic guitar less like a baboon. At the moment whenever someone puts one in my hands and looks at me like I’m going to play something I dunno what to do because most of my guitar playing is riffs on a distorted guitar. So I want to get better at playing acoustic as it’s own instrument rather than boring-undistorted-guitar.

I learned Blackbird yesterday for example so I’m looking for recommendations of good fingerpicking songs to learn.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mike Mills is a great example, I think, of a bassist who has such a good understanding of theory, etc that he can make these lovely wandering, super melodic basslines that hit all their marks. So many classic REM tracks are really like 70% him and Bill carrying the main mass of the song with Peter and Michael doing basically the same thing with guitar/voice. Like, you catch yourself humming parts of the song without remembering they’re from the bass track.

That's cool; I've never really given REM a shot. Thanks!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

massive spider posted:

My goal for quarantine is to play acoustic guitar less like a baboon. At the moment whenever someone puts one in my hands and looks at me like I’m going to play something I dunno what to do because most of my guitar playing is riffs on a distorted guitar. So I want to get better at playing acoustic as it’s own instrument rather than boring-undistorted-guitar.

I learned Blackbird yesterday for example so I’m looking for recommendations of good fingerpicking songs to learn.

What difficulty level? I'm working on Big Love by Lindsey Buckingham which is doable if you have some experience and desire to grind it out a bar at a time. If you're a fairly new player GuitarNick's patreon has a ton of fingerpicking songs in both easy and "normal" mode that should suit someone who can play a bit but can't deal with the more advanced stuff yet.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you can get your hands on Mel Bay's Complete Country Blues

https://www.melbay.com/Products/94710M/complete-country-blues-guitar-book.aspx

It's 100% finger picking songs from the Delta, Texas, ragtime era collected by one of the guys who made it a point to go interview/transcribe all those old traveling musicians before they died. Most of the videos are on Youtube now.

This is the first song in the book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06k657rggVs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gotta hand it to gibson they always find a way to be the bad guy in every situation

https://twitter.com/MikeElk/status/1241744935910506499?s=19

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

massive spider posted:

Any of Kurt Vile's stuff, like Pretty Pimping, is really nice finger-picking guitar that is pretty popular right now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Huxley posted:

If you can get your hands on Mel Bay's Complete Country Blues

https://www.melbay.com/Products/94710M/complete-country-blues-guitar-book.aspx

It's 100% finger picking songs from the Delta, Texas, ragtime era collected by one of the guys who made it a point to go interview/transcribe all those old traveling musicians before they died. Most of the videos are on Youtube now.

This is the first song in the book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06k657rggVs

this guy's cool

also how is gibson still even a thing?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

gotta hand it to gibson they always find a way to be the bad guy in every situation

I hope the ghouls that undermine everyone's efforts to distance and slow this down aren't quickly forgotten after we repopulate this post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I get the position they're in: a handful of people can realistically WFH in a guitar factory, they're post-bankruptcy with terrible cashflow, and I imagine most of those employees would rather risk it than go without pay. It sucks that by the time the first case pops, it'll be too late for the entire floor.

e: typo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

More like Gibsuck :v:

My 2c as an actual bassist/songwriter: First, write the song. You should know what you need melodically and rhythmically then, assign the roles according to the songs needs. If that calls for a melodic bass or just hitting the root with the kick, fine. Don't be trapped into formulas, it's about songwriting not your pet instrument.

The example of REM: everyone in that band wrote the songs, and it's not immediately obvious who, which is pretty rare, but that's why the songs are great, they're not someone's sole domain outside a good riff or rhythm. When McCartney shifted to piano as his main writing tool, he frequently added the basslines at the end of the process especially during the Sgt Peppers album. Sting liked that approach so much he made that his process for Police songs.

I think these days there's a danger with the writing tools we have to write from the rhythm up, be aware of that and mix up your songwriting process if you find you're finding yourself in a corner with what to do with the bass.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeElk/status/1241744935910506499?s=19

Well, on the upside this might be the closest we'll get to a sick Gibson since the Explorer was released.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Is Epiphone just owned by Gibson or do they have the same management? I'd like to get an Epiphone SG someday but it seems like Gibson is passing the tipping point of a company you would ever want to support and I don't know how closely entwined they are

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Wowporn posted:

Is Epiphone just owned by Gibson or do they have the same management? I'd like to get an Epiphone SG someday but it seems like Gibson is passing the tipping point of a company you would ever want to support and I don't know how closely entwined they are

I'm wondering this too, at this point I will never buy a Gibson that's not just an old thing on the used market, if that.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wowporn posted:

Gibson do own Epiphone but they do have their own management. To be fair, they've obviously had a good look at the range and made changes, many for the better from an Epiphone owners perspective. The investment in Asian factories is not small, and the main Chinese Epiphone factory is turning out really great guitars for the price. I wouldn't turn down an Epiphone guitar just because of the Gibson association, they're better value in my book, and the company is a valuable asset that Gibson is more dependent on that it publicly admits.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Almost every Chinese/Indonesian guitar that you can get nowadays "New" for at least 250-300 or so is probably on par with what you would've gotten for a 600-900 range on a Korean guitar during the late 90's/all across the 00's. Sure, they might need some setup/recalibration and whatever upgrades you "need", but most of those guitars will do right by you. The first company that actually surprised me with their overall quality was when Hagström moved all their operations to China in like... 2006-2007 or so. They're sooo drat worth it!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Epiphone ‘E’ on my Epi Emperor Swingster continues to fall off. Otherwise, a jewel of a guitar. That is all.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I got an Epiphone Emperor II a couple months ago that I've been having a great time with. And yes, the E on the pickguard fell off immediately.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

former glory posted:

Any of Kurt Vile's stuff, like Pretty Pimping, is really nice finger-picking guitar that is pretty popular right now.

Love Kurt Vile, big influence

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What are people’s thoughts on the micro terror siblings?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

What are people’s thoughts on the micro terror siblings?
Hi, I sometimes test-drive amps for a couple of LatAm retailers for Orange Products, so I can answer this question. You don't mind a Cliff's Notes, do you?

Okay, cool? Here we go (warning, shitloads of bias):
  • OG Tiny Terror: Pretty good for its time (2006-2007 or so?). Almost every other brand has tried to capitalize on this lunchbox amp, some arguably finding some success to an extent, but nowhere to the extent of this motherfucker/Orange themselves. Still p-good in 2020 if you ask me, despite the limited option and no FX-loop.
  • Dark Terror: An even better "1 channel, 15-watt" head than the OG Tiny Terror. Dialed for more "rock like gently caress" tones than the Tiny Terror. Has an effects loop. Sounds loving monstrous. Highly recommended.
  • Jim Root's Dark Terror: The best one. Not a fan of Jim Root's tone or anything, but aside from having a 3-band EQ, they basically made a better Dark Terror. hosed up, but true.
  • Brent Hinds Terror/Dual Dark/Dual Terror: While pretty OK on its own, I think this and the Dual Terror/Dual Darks miss the point of the whole "1 channel, low wattage" mojo. But whatever, all three are still good amps, and it has none of the douchiness associated that a lot of people tend to associate with the Mastodon guitar player in years past. Only problem is that these three become harder to find sub-500, which was the whole loving point of the lunchbox amp, in my arrogant-rear end opinion. I think the Brent Hinds head can do like half a watt, which is perfect for bedroom practice if that's your thing and you don't have the money to pay for whatever 2nd hand stores are asking for a Zvex nano-head.
  • Micro-Terror: Convenient! Not as rad as the Tiny/Dark Terror, but it still does a smack-up job! Plus you can often find it for less than a hundred of them greenbacks! Literally fool proof, since it only has one speaker cable jack.
  • Terror Stamp: Even more convenient! It's like the Micro Terror, but in a pedal!
  • Terror Bass: Both the 500 and 1000 watt versions do their job real well! Unfortunately, they're a fair deal more expensive, too!
  • Rocker Terror: If you don't want to shell out 2k or whatever stupid poo poo someone asks you to pony up for a Rockerverb and find out "Wait a minute, this is loving garbage and the guy from (x or y band) deserves a swift kick to the nuts for swindling me!" (exaggerated language but otherwise true story from a poor schmuck who I'm friends with that went all in on a Rockerverb 100 MK II or III for 2k+ and found out he wanted a very specific sound from the amp, and he never got it), this one is fine. It's ok. You might find the Brent Hinds more to your taste, since aside from lacking the half-watt option, this has the same controls/options.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Wark Say posted:

[list]
and it has none of the douchiness associated that a lot of people tend to associate with the Mastodon guitar player in years past.
Wait, when was Brent Hinds a douche? I thought he was just sometimes a bit of a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Apparently I am color blind...so can someone tell me what color the pickguard is on this new mocha burst ultra Stratocaster?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratAUMMB--fender-american-ultra-stratocaster-mocha-burst-with-maple-fingerboard