Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Lube banjo posted:

I might be wrong here but you should be getting 9-10k. How's your cooling?

That is right for a 3600x. 9-10k is 3700x territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mine came back low and it turned out XMP was turned off. Whoops.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

pyrotek posted:

That is right for a 3600x. 9-10k is 3700x territory.

I love how this was proven wrong immediately by the next post. The difference looks to be entirely in the GPU score, though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Cooling is a 360mm corsair AIO. I quite literally haven't touched the BIOS other than to boot to the USB stick so I'll look at XMP. I cheaped out on RAM (2933) which is know is like the worst thing you can do for this platform but I built it solely to run the Oculus for Alyx in the living room because the office is too cramped; so if it does that well I'll be happy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Crunchy Black posted:

Cooling is a 360mm corsair AIO. I quite literally haven't touched the BIOS other than to boot to the USB stick so I'll look at XMP. I cheaped out on RAM (2933) which is know is like the worst thing you can do for this platform but I built it solely to run the Oculus for Alyx in the living room because the office is too cramped; so if it does that well I'll be happy.

VR is pretty demanding and the number one thing I notice from RAM is the slowest frames are much faster. There's very little difference on my max frame rate between 3200-18 and 3600-18 (I can run at 3200-14 but that's basically the same as 3600-18 for min frame rate). VR can be barf inducing if your worst frame times are bad. You need a nice smooth experience if you want to play around in VR. That said this is a game intended for VR from the ground up and a flagship title for Alyx I expect you have overkill. The RAM probably wont make or break you even in more demanding games unless you get motion sick easily. If you get motion sick easily you really should rethink VR in general for now though even if you had top of the line hardware.

I own a PSVR headset and don't really get motion sick, and haven't tested it with my PC so it's PS4 powering one and friends / family reactions to it and my experience with PC games on my 3700x / RX5700. I dabbled in being a RAM overclocking nerd during the Summer it's surprising how different games react surprisingly different to different RAM timing settings. Lots of room for tinkering there.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 20, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wooo, sold off my 8700K and got a Ryzen 3900. I hate the 8700k, nothing like 200w CPU without solder between the die and heatspreader. Impossible to deal with, nevermind the crap Asrock motherboard I got with it.

Im excited and scared. I've never been able to use a stable AMD system for a long long time.

Hold me goons

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Enjoy all your new threads and give it lots of RAM!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If it ends up puking on it I'll just hackintosh it and switch it for the 6700k/1080ti machine I currently have at my desk but based on my tests last night I'll be okay.

Apr 7, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

If it ends up puking on it I'll just hackintosh it and switch it for the 6700k/1080ti machine I currently have at my desk but based on my tests last night I'll be okay.

WIn10 likes to poo poo itself and apps like to crash with some regularity but I've run the windows memory diagnostic stuff for 24 hours straight in extended mode with no errors, who knows what's up, gonna blame the drivers

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

WIn10 likes to poo poo itself and apps like to crash with some regularity but I've run the windows memory diagnostic stuff for 24 hours straight in extended mode with no errors, who knows what's up, gonna blame the drivers

Logitech's gaming driver crashes my videocard driver like clockwork every 35 minutes if it's running. Try uninstalling every drive that isn't critical and see if it helps, start adding drivers back in 1 at a time, start with the ones you miss the most (and if it's the driver determine if you can live without it or need to live with the problem or buy new hardware).

Apr 7, 2003

pixaal posted:

Logitech's gaming driver crashes my videocard driver like clockwork every 35 minutes if it's running. Try uninstalling every drive that isn't critical and see if it helps, start adding drivers back in 1 at a time, start with the ones you miss the most (and if it's the driver determine if you can live without it or need to live with the problem or buy new hardware).

gonna try that later, seems to have gotten worst since the newest AMD chipset drivers (X570). Oddly enough Citrix Workspace makes my nvidia drivers crash like nobody's business too.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So far so good, I'm giving it a good stress test right now, it's running Folding@Home full bore on both CPU and GPU while the girlfriend is playing Job Simulator on the headset and its been rock solid; CPU below 60*. Going to play with Ryzen master later, but its running well enough that she hasn't complained.

What motherboard are you running, Cloud? I got the asrock 570 pro 4 because it didn't have RGB puke all over it and it seems pretty solid. Pleasantly surprised the ethernet is Intel i211.

Apr 7, 2003

I’ve got a MSI MPG Gaming Edge WiFi X570 board, it’s sufficient.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

pixaal posted:

I dabbled in being a RAM overclocking nerd during the Summer it's surprising how different games react surprisingly different to different RAM timing settings. Lots of room for tinkering there.
What's the secret sauce? Voltage? I tried different timings and 1usmas stuff from techhpowerup and only xmp works for me. Is it increasing voltage or messing with geardown and other obscure things? I have 3700x as well..

I've got a stupid, too expensive OC motherboard as well.. it was all best buy had and I wanted it then.. (Asus x570 rog crosshair viii)

Part of it also may be I also got 32gb ram 2x16 3200 b die

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 22, 2020

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
voltage is indeed the sauce you seek, at least since you have B-Die. Try for 1.4v or even 1.45v

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

What's the secret sauce? Voltage? I tried different timings and 1usmas stuff from techhpowerup and only xmp works for me. Is it increasing voltage or messing with geardown and other obscure things? I have 3700x as well..

I've got a stupid, too expensive OC motherboard as well.. it was all best buy had and I wanted it then.. (Asus x570 rog crosshair viii)

Part of it also may be I also got 32gb ram 2x16 3200 b die

Sub timings will let you tweak other timings better, I used the settings from 1usmus like th full page, that gets you 90% of the way there. You can then go after sub timings and voltage to push more. Really I stick with 3200cl12 and 3600cl16 on my B die and switching between the two will make the difference in min frames of 2fps going to 5-8. Doesn't seem like much but it looks massively better, especially if you plan on doing VR.

Different games like different settings. Top end is mostly uneffected most things aren't using RAM that crazy outside of loading new stuff. Factorio goddamn loves RAM and it will effect how much stuff you can build before the game becomes unplayable so there's that if you want to find the limits of that engine.

I usually run in 3600cl16 because of IF.

Also tweaking to this extent will help if you are going for 144fps or higher at that high lots of weird things can become bottlenecks depending on the engine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
TSMC 5nm info.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

30% lower power at same speed, or 15% more speed. Along with 1.84x density improvement

So napkin-math, a 5700xt could be ~161mm^2 and pull only 170w. Pretty nice and that is small enough to be very cheap to manufacture/high yields

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Does anyone have an old AM4 socket processor they'd be willing to send to me for a couple of weeks? I'm going to need to flash an updated BIOS to my MSI B450I to use my Ryzen 5 3600. I submitted a request for a bootkit to AMD (they send an Athlon 200GE) but I suspect it may be a long time until I get anything back from them because of the virus, plus they make you jump through a bunch of hoops with pictures, proof of purchase etc.

I'd pay the shipping and toss in a little extra for the help.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DustyNuts posted:

Does anyone have an old AM4 socket processor they'd be willing to send to me for a couple of weeks? I'm going to need to flash an updated BIOS to my MSI B450I to use my Ryzen 5 3600. I submitted a request for a bootkit to AMD (they send an Athlon 200GE) but I suspect it may be a long time until I get anything back from them because of the virus, plus they make you jump through a bunch of hoops with pictures, proof of purchase etc.

I'd pay the shipping and toss in a little extra for the help.

Have you already confirmed it doesn't have an updated BIOS? It'd have to be an old-rear end board to not, though I suppose mITX boards would be the most likely to have sat around for so long.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
So I have a mATX case (fits perfectly under my desk, gets great case airflow) and a Ryzen 3900X (stock Wraith Prism cooler) and was looking for a mobo:
  • There's exactly one X570 board (ASRock X570M Pro4) and it doesn't seem that great (bad VRM design).
  • The only quality B450 board (MSI B450M Mortar Max) is not available in the US.
  • So I bought a cheapo B450 board (ASRock B450M PRO4) which was rated as having okay VRMs (spreadsheet) and has a lot of features (4 RAM slots, USB 3.1 gen 2 both A and C, 2 M.2 slots).
How hosed am I running a 3900X on a $80 mobo? Wasn't planning on OCing but I'm hoping it's stable at stock and can hit those boost clocks in single threaded mode.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 22, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Evil Robot posted:

How hosed am I running a 3900X on a $80 mobo? Wasn't planning on OCing but I'm hoping it's stable at stock and can sometimes hit those boost clocks.

If you're not planning on OCing you're not hosed at all.

Amps * volts = watts. So a board that can deliver 100A with no airflow means the processor is consuming 120-130 watts. Assuming that the B450m Pro4 would have a yellow 'some airflow' box at 125A, that's as much power as a stock 3900X will ever pull. If you are watercooling the CPU you might want to rig a low-speed fan to move air around the VRM heatsinks, and otherwise just have adequate ventilation for the case as a whole.

Be careful with PBO (don't turn it on and set everything to 999) and you'll be fine.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Both the Prism Wraith and my case fans push a lot of air; so I actually should be okay. Thanks!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

ItBreathes posted:

Have you already confirmed it doesn't have an updated BIOS? It'd have to be an old-rear end board to not, though I suppose mITX boards would be the most likely to have sat around for so long.

Yep I sent a ticket to MSI and they confirmed it. The minis are lagging for sure.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 22, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
derp

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I love how this was proven wrong immediately by the next post. The difference looks to be entirely in the GPU score, though.

This is a CPU thread, so I was referring to the CPU score. Obviously you can't predict the overall 3dmark score you'll get just by considering the CPU.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Evil Robot posted:

Both the Prism Wraith and my case fans push a lot of air; so I actually should be okay. Thanks!

I’m curious, what case are you using? Stock cooler for my 3700x resulted in having 85+ degree temps fairly regularly in a similar low-profile Silverstone case. I finally moved to a decent cooler/airflow case and now I rarely get above 72.

Gotta imagine a 3900x is going to push 90c

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Fractal Design Define Mini C which has excellent air flow. It's not really low profile; I just have only 400mm of clearance under my desk to place the case so ATX cases don't work.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Robot posted:

Fractal Design Define Mini C which has excellent air flow. It's not really low profile; I just have only 400mm of clearance under my desk to place the case so ATX cases don't work.

This makes me very curious to see a picture of your desk setup... do you have like a standing desk with an under-slung case mount?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Mini C has basically the same dimensions except it's 2 inches shorter. You don't really save space at all IMO since width and length are the same.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

This makes me very curious to see a picture of your desk setup... do you have like a standing desk with an under-slung case mount?

Nope! Just a shelf above my case.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Evil Robot posted:

I must judge your airflow. Send nudes plz.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Evil Robot posted:

Could you... just remove the shelf? That would gain you a good bit more height. You don't seem to have anything on it.
Or just drill another higher rung of holes for the shelf mounts, to raise the shelf?

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion Episode IV: A New Hope is Ryzen: Pimp my desk airflow 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deanut Pancer posted:

Could you... just remove the shelf? That would gain you a good bit more height. You don't seem to have anything on it.
Or just drill another higher rung of holes for the shelf mounts, to raise the shelf?

No, lower the shelf. Then put the PC on the shelf on its side, so the usb ports etc on top become conveniently accessible to a person sitting at the desk!

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I fundamentally believe most gamers should be able to get by with a reasonably equipped mATX board / case. I don't need 8 SATA ports or 4 PCIe slots or whatever. Also I like the shelf.

If this mobo turns out to be crap though don't worry I'm going to buy a new case and throw my desk in the garbage for good measure.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Robot posted:

That explains it!

I've used the Mini C for workstations at the office supporting engineering testbeds — just cheap, clean and very simple cases with thoughtful design features. I love Fractal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got my 3900x in the saddle. I decided to try and save some bux and got an Amazon warehouse deals X570 Aorus Pro Wifi. Has a nice VRM and heatsink on said VRM.

Everything just worked swapping the HD between my 8700K and this thing. I did load Ryzen Master and the Chipset drivers. Temps at the desktop mostly ldle are around 40 deg, so that seems good. The boost clocks are.. not 4.7ghz for all I can tell. I did Hwinfo and looked at the max clock speeds of cores and none are hitting 4.7. I'm not unhappy but is there something I should adjust/tune?
[edit] Latest bios has been applied to mobo, dated 2/2/2020. Im using a Noctua 140mm heatsink/fan combo.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 24, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's only rated for 4.6 for one, and only on single core workloads, but there was some hooplah about them not hitting their rated speed a while back. How short are you falling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

It's only rated for 4.6 for one, and only on single core workloads, but there was some hooplah about them not hitting their rated speed a while back. How short are you falling?

OK thats dumb, I could have sworn it said 4.7 boost but you are right. Most i've seen is around 4.4Ghz. Im not that familiar with AMD overclocking. Can you just tell the CPU to run max boost clocks or is that only for Intels?