Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you have an identical drive you may be able to swap the PCBs

it's unlikely anything is wrong with the moving parts after all

Yeah I was thinking I could at least resort to that...just gotta find a donor PCB. Check it out though, some pin on that IC got a lot more voltage than it probably wanted.

smooth like my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fack you posted:

Yeah I was thinking I could at least resort to that...just gotta find a donor PCB. Check it out though, some pin on that IC got a lot more voltage than it probably wanted.

smooth like my brain

he's dead, jim

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

fack you posted:

smooth like my brain

what kind of drive was it OP

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

fack you posted:

Do board swaps work with modern drives? I've tried two recently without much success. Was lead to believe that boards now have a reasonable amount of drive specific metadata on rom chips so now need to read that and program onto the new board as well. Had no problems doing swaps back when sata drives had a mix of sata and molex power connectors.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fack you posted:

smooth like my brain

loving smooth

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not really familiar with OSX. My mother in law gave me her 2010 MacBook and asked me to wipe it to stock for her. Mostly because my sister in law had a ton of stuff on it and neither of them remember the password. How do I wipe this thing and bring it back to stock without any recovery software/CDs? It actually has an optical drive but like I said I don't have any restore CDs. Sorry, I'm used to the Windows way of doing this :shobon:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'm not really familiar with OSX. My mother in law gave me her 2010 MacBook and asked me to wipe it to stock for her. Mostly because my sister in law had a ton of stuff on it and neither of them remember the password. How do I wipe this thing and bring it back to stock without any recovery software/CDs? It actually has an optical drive but like I said I don't have any restore CDs. Sorry, I'm used to the Windows way of doing this :shobon:

take it to the apple store

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Actual helpful replies only please

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Actual helpful replies only please

a wrong forum
b that was helpful and accurate they will help you do it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i have that very machine. you can make a boot usb from the osx installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 (the latest OS that machine supports is 10.13 High Sierra)

to boot from the usb once it's made, hold option at startup and it will show you all the disks it can boot from. select the installer.

then you can go into disk utility and wipe the drive, and install a clean OS on it if you want.

if you don't have another mac to use to create the usb installer, you can boot into single user mode and reset the password from there: https://osxdaily.com/2011/04/25/change-admin-password-mac/ (idk what version of osx you have on there, procedure might be slightly different depending on version, such as the third option here: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/change-admin-password-mac-3535328/)

e: poo poo was that too earnest for the shitposting forum

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Actually I just turned it on and I have no idea what she's talking about , there's no password on it lol

Can I do a system restore without needing to download a disk image or anything? It's a late 2011 2.4ghz core i5 according to "about this Mac". Running 10.7.5

Edit: I tried doing it by holding command R but I get the error "Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac os x"

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 7, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i forget when they added the recovery partition, it might only be web recovery at that point. try it with an ethernet cable plugged in

but probably you'll need to do it the long way by downloading the installer and making a bootable usb

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

i forget when they added the recovery partition, it might only be web recovery at that point. try it with an ethernet cable plugged in

but probably you'll need to do it the long way by downloading the installer and making a bootable usb

OK cool, I'll do that. thank you for the help! :cheers:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

3/4 of the reason u buy an apple product is so u can go to the store when it dicks up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

3/4 of the reason u buy an apple product is so u can go to the store when it dicks up

I’ve been to the apple store before it sucks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the reason to take it to the apple store to get it re-imaged is that they have all the network boot stuff set up on gigE and it takes less than five minutes from plugging it in to walking away with a re-imaged machine

yeah going to the apple store sucks, but it's a lot less total time than loving around with osx media

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ive finally decided to subscribe to a vpn service (cant use the unsecured guest wifi of the company in the next office when im trapped at home) and im looking for the one that sa has a sponsorship deal with and i cant find any evidence of it

ive spent the last decade clicking through and ignoring those ads, and now that i actually am going to break down and buy the drat service the ads have disappeared

help someone please point me to the vpn service that puts a few nickles into lowtaxs spine fund when i join it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think that would be nordvpn, which works great for me and only costs like 3 dollars a month

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

ive finally decided to subscribe to a vpn service (cant use the unsecured guest wifi of the company in the next office when im trapped at home) and im looking for the one that sa has a sponsorship deal with and i cant find any evidence of it

ive spent the last decade clicking through and ignoring those ads, and now that i actually am going to break down and buy the drat service the ads have disappeared

help someone please point me to the vpn service that puts a few nickles into lowtaxs spine fund when i join it

it was nordvpn but i think the reason you can't find any evidence is because that was a time-limited deal

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i think that would be nordvpn, which works great for me and only costs like 3 dollars a month

SO DEMANDING posted:

it was nordvpn but i think the reason you can't find any evidence is because that was a time-limited deal
thanks guys

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

FMguru posted:

no op dont do it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why in actual real normie life would you want a vpn

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

because the streaming service situation is garbage

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

why in actual real normie life would you want a vpn

to give lowtax money

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
hey team thinking of getting a usbc dock (dell d6000 maybe) for working from home with a laptop. then i was thinking my computer has a usbc hole too... will something bad happen if i use the dock for a desktop pc also or is usbc smart enough to not fry the motherboard?

ofc i don't know if it will work at all that way but i figure I'll give it a go if it's "safe"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
experiencing some annoying fuckery with my thinkpad w541 running win 10. startup has been painfully slow, and i just looked at the task manager and disk active time is pegged at 100% with no signs of going down. right after i first booted cpu was at 82% as well.

it's running a recent clean install of windows and i'm not sure what the problem is. nothing shady going on that i can tell. any thoughts?

e: disk active time and all other metrics have settled into good, low percentages, but it took like 10 minutes after booting to get to this point.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 6, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
since windows was recently installed, maybe the search indexer is going ham trying to build the index for the first time

should settle down with time if it is that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sorry, i should clarify: “recent” as in not quite two months ago. it’s gone through numerous boot cycles

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When that's happening in the win10 task manager can you sort by Disk and see which processes are using it? A more coarse way of doing this without rebooting would be going to the Startup tab in Task Manager and sorting by Startup Impact. Anything interesting there? You could always disable and reboot and see if it changes anything... basically do a startup process elimination diet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

are there thousands of notifications in event viewer that list all the times the drive had a seek error that windows remedied without bothering to tell you

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
op whenever that happens to me it’s usually wsappx or something like that which is the windows process that updates windows and windows apps in the background and apparently does a fantastically bad job at it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

hey team thinking of getting a usbc dock (dell d6000 maybe) for working from home with a laptop. then i was thinking my computer has a usbc hole too... will something bad happen if i use the dock for a desktop pc also or is usbc smart enough to not fry the motherboard?

ofc i don't know if it will work at all that way but i figure I'll give it a go if it's "safe"

it will work but suck rear end, like all usb-c / thunderbolt docks

no dock has been worth a drat since the end of proprietary docks

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

President Beep posted:

experiencing some annoying fuckery with my thinkpad w541 running win 10. startup has been painfully slow, and i just looked at the task manager and disk active time is pegged at 100% with no signs of going down. right after i first booted cpu was at 82% as well.

it's running a recent clean install of windows and i'm not sure what the problem is. nothing shady going on that i can tell. any thoughts?

e: disk active time and all other metrics have settled into good, low percentages, but it took like 10 minutes after booting to get to this point.

yospos

installing linux is the solution to a lot of problems in this thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

thanks for the tip. i'll keep a closer eye on this next time.

don't see anything described as such in the System log. would it be clearly labelled as a "seek error"?

i'm a huge computer idiot. this scares me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

i'm a huge computer idiot. this scares me.

so is tankakem

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tankakern posted:

yospos

installing linux is the solution to a lot of problems in this thread

Just as installing Windows is the solution for a lot of the problems in the linux thread

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

so is tankakem

rude

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it will work but suck rear end, like all usb-c / thunderbolt docks

no dock has been worth a drat since the end of proprietary docks

thanks. might just use remote desktop instead for at home

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Clark Nova posted:

Just as installing Windows is the solution for a lot of the problems in the linux thread

the only nonshit operating system is the one you don’t have installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So multi-screen RDP is obviously easy, but is there a way to have the screens independently minimize?

Like, I have to run a softphone on my local PC (our VPN is bad), and I RDP from there to the terminal server (really it's just a desktop at the office :ssh:) but I can conceive of a situation where I'd want to have my right screen viewing the TS but my left screen temporary on the local PC desktop.

Is this an thing which can be?