Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

seiferguy posted:

My cat groomer posts pics of every cat he grooms and mine is clearly just doing it for the likes:

I wish there was a cat groomer in my area - heaps for dogs but no one will do cats at all.

My long haired fluff ball got herself into a a patch of some sort spikey plants which turned out impossible to remove so she had to be sent to the vet for a good shaving - effective but she looks incredibly silly now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

My basis for a relationship (with any species) is that it is a two-way street. All of my relationships are two-sided. None of them are one-sided.

I don't think taking on this extra cat was a good idea, you clearly don't want it. You forget it exists and don't have any patience for it. You are trying to reason with it but forget it's an animal with a walnut brain. You complain on here when you don't get instant gratification and ignore a lot of the advice on here that doesn't offer instant results as well.

Either just relax or make a decision either way. The cat isn't going to suddenly flip a switch and be your best friend, especially one that's a bit older and suddenly moved homes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The electrician finally came out to finish the balcony after two months of wires hanging out of the wall.

I got this picture from my fiancee who is currently home

He finally slinked out from under the couch when I got home and calmed down a little. Stupid wallnut brain

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dumb question. I know you're supposed to feed cats wet food to prevent UTIs or renal issues. I've been doing half a can a day (2.5 year old, maybe 3?). He has plenty of dry food (Hill's Science) to graze on.

Is it safe to cut the wet food back to half a can every other day, try to ration it out a bit?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Does your cat drink a good amount of water? I think that's the main reason wet food can help with those issues. Otherwise it is often gonna be better for them nutritionally afaik, but that depends on brands and stuff.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Martman posted:

Does your cat drink a good amount of water? I think that's the main reason wet food can help with those issues. Otherwise it is often gonna be better for them nutritionally afaik, but that depends on brands and stuff.

Probably not as much as he should, but he has a water fountain and likes to drink from the faucet. I don't know how to judge how much he drinks. :shrug:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Boris Galerkin posted:

My basis for a relationship (with any species) is that it is a two-way street. All of my relationships are two-sided. None of them are one-sided.

You're clearly not seeing yourself as a caretaker and guardian for Molly. Please give her to someone with reasonable expectations and patience and empathy.

Edit: I know I'm being a dick about it. Your above comments really rubbed me the wrong way. Cats are not people. Cats cannot rationalize and reason the way people do. You really need to adjust yourself -- your own thinking -- because Molly doesn't have that advantage. She's scared. She lost her home. She doesn't know you. Stop demanding miracles and either give her the time she needs to warm up to you or find her a new home.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 24, 2020

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Some people shouldn't have pets.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

D1E posted:

He's providing good care for Ruthie (though I wish she'd be brought indoors full time). He really lucked into how easy she's been.

okay no the more i think about it the more i think ruthie could also be in better hands, such a sweet thing to be getting "the boot" when it's convenient

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 24, 2020

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

my cat is norris posted:

He's providing good care for Ruthie (though I wish she'd be brought indoors full time). He really lucked into how easy she's been.

okay no the more i think about it the more i think ruthie could also be in better hands, such a sweet thing to be getting "the boot" when it's convenient

Ruthy shouldn't be living under a shipping container I think. That also implies trucks and heavy machinery potentially frequent her home as well. I wouldn't want my cat going there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t know why I’m even bothering but;

Severing posted:

I don't think taking on this extra cat was a good idea, you clearly don't want it. You forget it exists and don't have any patience for it. You are trying to reason with it but forget it's an animal with a walnut brain. You complain on here when you don't get instant gratification and ignore a lot of the advice on here that doesn't offer instant results as well.

Either just relax or make a decision either way. The cat isn't going to suddenly flip a switch and be your best friend, especially one that's a bit older and suddenly moved homes.

My post about how I couldn’t keep a cat that hid 24/7 and didn’t interact with me was not about Molly. It was a general post. I see no point in having a pet that gives me no companionship and would rather give it to someone who didn’t care about that. My comment was in reference to that poster mentioning they had a cat for years that just hid. Yeah, that’s great that they can do that. I can’t. Molly has been with me for one week. Did you not see the part where I’m trying?

And how can I forget about a thing that exists if I’ve only had her for a week and have interacted with her a total of 0 times? Also, it’s an expression. I didn’t literally forget ffs. She just doesn’t cross my mind (yet) because I never see her outside of like 5 minutes a day.

my cat is norris posted:

You're clearly not seeing yourself as a caretaker and guardian for Molly. Please give her to someone with reasonable expectations and patience and empathy.

Edit: I know I'm being a dick about it. Your above comments really rubbed me the wrong way. Cats are not people. Cats cannot rationalize and reason the way people do. You really need to adjust yourself -- your own thinking -- because Molly doesn't have that advantage. She's scared. She lost her home. She doesn't know you. Stop demanding miracles and either give her the time she needs to warm up to you or find her a new home.

My post where I said I could keep such a pet was not about Molly. It was in response to another poster. I edited my post to add a bit about Molly as in if it’s the same way after some time then it’s not going to work out for me and I’d rather someone else who it does work out for take care of her cause they’d do it much better.

D1E posted:

I agree.

my cat is norris posted:

Severing posted:

Ruthy shouldn't be living under a shipping container I think. That also implies trucks and heavy machinery potentially frequent her home as well. I wouldn't want my cat going there.

Outdoor cats are common here and most pet cats are indoor/outdoor cats that their owners let come and go. I am considered cruel by my friends for wanting to “take away Ruthie’s freedom” and confine her indoors. Not everyone lives in the same place with the same culture. The only reason I booted Ruthie out was because I know for a fact that she will do fine outdoors if I leave her alone to go sit in my bedroom with Molly, who is maybe one of the only pet cats I know here that aren’t indoor/outdoor cats.

Also, no, it implies none of that. There is an shipping container in the lot next to a building. 99% of all traffic through here are not motorized. Edit: I know “lot” implies a parking lot for cars and that’s true but also keep in mind that everything is shutdown so there are no cars going into this lot for the foreseeable future.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 24, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

A week is just not long enough. I would suggest getting her one of those covered/cubby hole beds for security and blocking off the bottom of your bed if you'd like to give her a bit of a boost. Also if there's any sort of cat tree you can put in the room that can be a big confidence booster for a cat- they need to be able to get up high to feel secure. Ideally you'd catch her on the tree (especially if there's a window) on your camera while you're not in the room. That'll help her "own the space" and feel more comfortable. Otherwise the advice is just what it is. Ignore her while doing tasks near her so she gets used to your sounds and smells. Once she's good with eating in your presence then you can move up to light touch while she's eating (associating pets with food = good!)

You don't need to live in your room, just if you're doing something that's otherwise non-interactive like reading, or bring the laptop in and watch tv/movies on that instead of on your television. There's no hard and fast rule on how quickly a cat will trust you, and it differs by cat. Still, a week is just a week. If she's still hiding after a month then you can try some more drastic actions, but for now just give her time and space and let her fear abate.

Was she a pet cat to begin with or a feral/stray? Go watch some episodes of My Cat From Hell (Discovery has full episodes up on youtube!) if you want to see how a pro coaxes scared kitties and teaches frustrated owners how to communicate with them.

e: actually watch her tail on the camera when you are not in the room. Is it high? Does she look relaxed? Or is she slinky-cat sneaking across the room like the floor is lava?

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 24, 2020

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The first cat I ever owned was one of the most skiddish cats I’ve ever had. Spent the first few weeks hiding under a couch and was usually just weary of people. She would let you pet her and purr but was never a lap cat. But one day, nearly 10 years later I remember her coming into my room, hopping on to my bed then going under my covers and cuddling up to me purring loudly. And she was like the rest of her life.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your posts, Boris. I can now apologize for some of my harsh remarks: I'm sorry for misunderstanding you and for being a dick as a result.

Please keep trying!

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Welp, vets got it, kitty not getting the snip today.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hi cat friends, haven't posted for ages because we've just been enjoying cat life, but on Monday we had to say goodbye to Jimmy, after his kidney disease finally caught up with him.

On this subject, can anyone recommend a small tree suitable for planting in a large pot, keeping outdoors, fairly hard to accidentally kill, and safe for future cats? We'd like to have one in his memory.

E: northern Europe for context

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Leal posted:

Unfortunately he has started yowling constantly and the vets are closed :gonk:

:ohdear: How's your guy doing?

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Hey all,

So I have a random question for you all. We have been feeding a local stray cat for the past 7 or 8 months or so. When she first started coming around she was beat up, skittish, and incredibly skinny bordering on emaciated. We've been consistently feeding her a bowl of food almost every day and over this time she has plumped up to the point where she no longer looks skinny but she remains incredibly skittish. If we're feeding her outside after much patience we have gotten to the point where she will let us sit a couple feet away while she eats, and she will meow for food when we open the door. If we make any sudden movements she bolts and will only come back after 20-30 seconds of making sure we aren't trying to eat her.

So, potentially a true feral cat except for the meowing for food.

That said, lately we've begun coercing her into our barn by placing the food inside and leaving the door open while we sit a few feet away. She had been coming in and eating food this way for a week or so until 2 nights ago when we left the barn and went inside for a while while she ate. When we went back out she was gone so we closed the door, but then about 2 hours later I went out into the barn and heard scuffling and something falling over upstairs and we realized she hadn't left the barn but had instead likely been exploring when we shut the door. So we put down food, water, and a litter box and then went to bed(didn't want to leave the door open all night in case something else decided to wander in...we have plenty of critters in the area). Opened the door back up in the morning so she could escape and left it that way for about 6 hours; Later in the day we went back into the barn and heard nothing and the food wasn't touched so we closed the door again assuming she had bolted.

Well, not so much. Last night I heard meowing from the barn and went out into it again and, once again, heard scuffling upstairs and the food we had left out was gone. So she didn't leave while the door was open and instead seems to have taken up residence upstairs in the barn. We saw her this morning hiding in the corner and watching us, but so far we haven't tried to approach her because we assume she is still terrified of us, but now we need advice.

We can't bring her into the house because we have 3 indoor cats and we can't let them out for the same reason, but what should we do about this cat? Is it better to try and get her to leave the barn and go back outside or should we just leave her in there and try to slowly work on her trust? We're not sure if she is feral or just a stray that hasn't been around humans in a long time...she has a lot of feral behaviors but the meowing for food and being willing to get within a foot or two of us seems to indicate that she might have had interaction with people at one point. We really want to bring her to our vet to get checked for a chip/diseases but we're afraid we will just traumatize her if we try to force her into a cage. She also doesn't seem to be using the litter box, which could be because she is either feral, terrified, or just used to natural dirt and soil.

Halp! (Also no pictures because the lighting in the barn is terrible and we don't want to panic her by getting too close for good pics.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Person Dyslexic posted:

Hey all,

So I have a random question for you all. We have been feeding a local stray cat for the past 7 or 8 months or so. When she first started coming around she was beat up, skittish, and incredibly skinny bordering on emaciated. We've been consistently feeding her a bowl of food almost every day and over this time she has plumped up to the point where she no longer looks skinny but she remains incredibly skittish. If we're feeding her outside after much patience we have gotten to the point where she will let us sit a couple feet away while she eats, and she will meow for food when we open the door. If we make any sudden movements she bolts and will only come back after 20-30 seconds of making sure we aren't trying to eat her.

So, potentially a true feral cat except for the meowing for food.

That said, lately we've begun coercing her into our barn by placing the food inside and leaving the door open while we sit a few feet away. She had been coming in and eating food this way for a week or so until 2 nights ago when we left the barn and went inside for a while while she ate. When we went back out she was gone so we closed the door, but then about 2 hours later I went out into the barn and heard scuffling and something falling over upstairs and we realized she hadn't left the barn but had instead likely been exploring when we shut the door. So we put down food, water, and a litter box and then went to bed(didn't want to leave the door open all night in case something else decided to wander in...we have plenty of critters in the area). Opened the door back up in the morning so she could escape and left it that way for about 6 hours; Later in the day we went back into the barn and heard nothing and the food wasn't touched so we closed the door again assuming she had bolted.

Well, not so much. Last night I heard meowing from the barn and went out into it again and, once again, heard scuffling upstairs and the food we had left out was gone. So she didn't leave while the door was open and instead seems to have taken up residence upstairs in the barn. We saw her this morning hiding in the corner and watching us, but so far we haven't tried to approach her because we assume she is still terrified of us, but now we need advice.

We can't bring her into the house because we have 3 indoor cats and we can't let them out for the same reason, but what should we do about this cat? Is it better to try and get her to leave the barn and go back outside or should we just leave her in there and try to slowly work on her trust? We're not sure if she is feral or just a stray that hasn't been around humans in a long time...she has a lot of feral behaviors but the meowing for food and being willing to get within a foot or two of us seems to indicate that she might have had interaction with people at one point. We really want to bring her to our vet to get checked for a chip/diseases but we're afraid we will just traumatize her if we try to force her into a cage. She also doesn't seem to be using the litter box, which could be because she is either feral, terrified, or just used to natural dirt and soil.

Halp! (Also no pictures because the lighting in the barn is terrible and we don't want to panic her by getting too close for good pics.)

I'm not really sure what the problem is here that you want help with. You led her into your barn and she's decided it's a cool place to hang out. You don't want her in your house, so what else do you want? She seems pretty happy at this point.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Bonus barn cat!!! Mazel tov!

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not really sure what the problem is here that you want help with. You led her into your barn and she's decided it's a cool place to hang out. You don't want her in your house, so what else do you want? She seems pretty happy at this point.

I guess the question is what is the next step? We need to get her to a vet but don’t want to traumatize her more than she already is... should we rip the bandaid off quickly and wrangle her into a carrier or just leave her alone for a bit while she acclimates? Should we leave the door open so she can leave if she wants and risk her not coming back and getting eaten? I should note that we live in a pretty rural area and we’re pretty sure something has been eating local cats... we saw one of the strays that used to hang out in our yard with a huge open wound on its neck about a week ago that looked like something had literally ripped a tennis ball sized chunk of flesh out. We used to have 5 or 6 regular strays that wandered through but we haven’t seen any of them barring the one in our barn and the wounded one for weeks. We have coyotes, fisher cats, bobcats and lynxes that all routinely wander into town.

Also is there any risk to our indoor cats? The barn is attached to the house but separated by closed doors

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sounds like you should just keep her in the barn then. She probably doesn't need a vet if she seems generally in good health from what you've seen of her, it can wait until you've built up some more rapport. If something is actively attacking cats then no it doesn't sound like letting her out is a great idea.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Sounds like you should just keep her in the barn then. She probably doesn't need a vet if she seems generally in good health from what you've seen of her, it can wait until you've built up some more rapport. If something is actively attacking cats then no it doesn't sound like letting her out is a great idea.

Thank you...kind of the strategy we're adopting. Is there any risk of disease or infection with regards to our existing indoor cats? We're keeping them quarantined to the house and the barn door completely closed with no plans to let them interact as is, but wondering if there is anything that might get through...

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Organza Quiz posted:

Vet check needed if only to get her spayed if she isn't already

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The most transmissible diseases would require more contact afaik.

That said, and this is probably common sense, definitely wash your hands after going in and out and handling the food dish and litter pan.

I guess fleas might hitch a ride on you so keep your indoor cats protected and vaccinated as if they were outdoor cats.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

Okay yeah that's a good point.

If it helps at all my experience of dealing with a super skittish cat is that when I do something she hates (car ride, put collar on her etc) she basically seems to totally forget and go back to baseline within 24 hours.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for all the input everyone! We’re trying to get in contact with our vet but they are apparently working with a skeleton crew right now and haven’t yet returned our calls. We’ll make sure to wash our hands when handling the food bowl and litter box. As soon as we can get her to a vet we’ll have her checked for a chip, vaccinated, and spayed. Also there is a possibility she could be pregnant as we saw her being... intimate ... with one of the local toms a few weeks ago before all the other cats started disappearing so we’ll definitely want to check on that before spaying.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Spikes32 posted:

But its also a good chance to get her some vaccines and address any parasites, etc.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know some places will offer to come out and catch feral cats and neuter / spay them for you. My brother had a feral cat in his neighborhood and got it neutered that way. Maybe check and see? I'd call your vet if you can't find any leads.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Norris has been a little pukey lately. I thought his food was just giving him trouble -- we've gone back to the weight loss variety because Kirk is too big a boy -- but a little bit ago he vomited very frothy/foamy bile that was definitely pink/red in color.

Keeping an eye on him tonight. He sees the vet first thing in the morning. If he pukes like that again in the meantime, he's going to the e-vet.

He may go tonight anyway if my anxiety can't calm down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

I know some places will offer to come out and catch feral cats and neuter / spay them for you. My brother had a feral cat in his neighborhood and got it neutered that way. Maybe check and see? I'd call your vet if you can't find any leads.

If there are local shelters you can also call them. If they won't come out and catch/release the cat, they should be able to point you to a service who will.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
So my cat gets urinary prescription food, but with all the shutdowns around here I'm really concerned he's not going to be able to get more- I'm going to contact his vet on monday to see if they're still open, but if they aren't, what are my options? Could I go to the petsmart vet or whatever and say hey my boy needs his pee food or he'll die?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

big dyke energy posted:

So my cat gets urinary prescription food, but with all the shutdowns around here I'm really concerned he's not going to be able to get more- I'm going to contact his vet on monday to see if they're still open, but if they aren't, what are my options? Could I go to the petsmart vet or whatever and say hey my boy needs his pee food or he'll die?

Get a copy of the prescription!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If you're in the US, Chewy.com has a place to upload prescriptions and you can schedule delivery, etc. It was also solidly $20 cheaper per bag than my vet. I get food and litter in the same autoship delivery its pretty nice, you can also add things like toys and other bullshit as onetime add-ins to your scheduled delivery if they don't add up to free shipping on their own.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Yeah I plan on asking the vet, but if they're already closed, what do? It's like the world's tiniest vet office so I just assume they're all staying home with the pandemic stuff going on. Again I gotta call on Monday. I'm just trying to see what my options are if I can't get a copy of the prescription.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

big dyke energy posted:

Yeah I plan on asking the vet, but if they're already closed, what do? It's like the world's tiniest vet office so I just assume they're all staying home with the pandemic stuff going on. Again I gotta call on Monday. I'm just trying to see what my options are if I can't get a copy of the prescription.

Our vet is handling this by having you call from the parking lot, then they come out and get your pet. Pickup is the same way, all over the phone. They deliver it to you. No one but the staff goes inside. Presumably they would hand deliver the prescription to you, which you can then take to PetSmart.

PetSmart often has its own veterinary clinic inside that can handle the prescription stuff for you. Your vet may be able to just call them with the info.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rare photo of a sleeping Long Nosed Box Cat

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Worst case scenario, find a non prescription and high quality food that's intended to help avoid urinary issues. :/

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Person Dyslexic posted:

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Quarantines have made getting to vets very dicey so at this point you might just want to keep feeding her and let her chill in the barn. Spay would be great but if you saw her boinking with a male recently she's very likely pregnant so it's up to you if you want to let her have the litter in your barn or go for an e-spay. Even if she's not pregnant, she probably has fleas, mites, and worms so do not let her have any interactions with your house cats until you can get her treated for parasites.

That said if she seems healthy and uninjured it's not going to hurt her any to continue chilling in the barn. You're not at high risk of transferring diseases or anything if you DO manage to pet her as long as you wash your hands and don't bring bowls or blankets she's used into your home. Keep watch for fleas of course, they can come in on your pants. That said it doesn't sound like you're touching her at all yet, but once she lets you pet her you can put flea treatment on her so the problem will take care of itself.

If you can, get a towel or an old blanket over her and grab her. You can keep her head covered and her claws away from you. Most feral cats will freeze if they can't see and you can use this to your advantage. Use an old raggy towel/blanket so you can cut a hole in it with scissors over her neck area and apply the flea treatment (Revolution or something similar) without letting any part of the cat out of the towel, then once she's treated let her go. That's probably your best bet until the vets open up again and she can be spayed/vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Out of all the bullshit diseases my cat could get it would of course have to be malignant face eating cancer.