Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tortuga posted:

I'm never going in a Spoons again unless I'm too drunk to stop myself. Never been in a Sports Direct before but the same rule applies.

I go in Spoons to use their bogs because it's nicer than the public bog down the road. I can't recall ever spending any dosh in a Spoons since 2004 which was next to my uni, and was a post-viva drink.

I did a playlist of Siege and Barricade songs on FB but my friends tend to ignore my musical offerings - I can't think why.

Anyway, here's a nice tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qk39CcM7Qw

e: Page snipe 199.
Hansard vol 199 col 199 Coal Trade Dispute - Baldwin was PM, Churchill was Chancellor.
Col or para 199 (haven't quite figured it out!)
Lloyd George speaking:

quote:

Let us see what the position is now. The struggle has already exceeded the limit of all previous struggles. We have had a struggle of 11 weeks and a struggle of 13 weeks, but this struggle has lasted more than four months. You are now in the fifth month, and although I know there are hopes of an immediate collapse I fear that that is not going to be the end of this struggle. The miners are good fighters. No one knows that better than those who had something to do with the conduct of the War. They fought well for their country, and they will fight for their class. They are not men who can be terrorised or who can be driven back, even by the threat of starvation, until there is a feeling that a real effort is being made to understand their grievances and to do the best within the power of the Government to meet them. I do not mean to say to concede all their 199
demands. They are sensible men; they know all the difficulties, but they will want to feel that the Government have done their best, at any rate, having regard to all the conditions, to listen to their case and to meet it; and I am afraid that that is not what is happening at the present moment.
https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1926/aug/31/coal-trade-dispute#column_199

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

At least my friend who works at starbucks is finally free, she's going in tomorrow to mothball it and then she's out. About loving time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Profanity posted:

What are the cliff notes on this? The opening the economy back up tonight poo poo obviously, but any other hilarious (terrifying) points?

Trump is also literally getting people killed by littering his addresses to the nation with quack medical advice he got off the Internet. He's caused multiple lethal cases of poisoning with the miracle drugs he's advertised.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm suddenly swamped by weariness. At least tomorrow's shift is entirely earmarked for assembling blister packs. I can sit upstairs with a mask on and listen to podcasts all day and not have to see patients. Perfect.

Part of me kind of enjoys being free to be bossy and tell people what to do but it's wearing me down pretty bad.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I go in Spoons to use their bogs because it's nicer than the public bog down the road. I can't recall ever spending any dosh in a Spoons since 2004 which was next to my uni, and was a post-viva drink.

I'm a little sad I won't get to have post-viva celebrations with my partner and friends, we'd planned to have a nice little holiday back to Glasgow for a week around that time to catch up with people and relax, but well lol.

Guess a bottle of wine in quarantine will have to do, but assuming I make it through this I'm definitely setting aside a day to have a delayed blowout.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Darth Walrus posted:

Trump is also literally getting people killed by littering his addresses to the nation with quack medical advice he got off the Internet. He's caused multiple lethal cases of poisoning with the miracle drugs he's advertised.
loving incredible.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is another of those weird marginal "essential" things. Presumably "emergency work" is repairs/replacement glasses? Breaking my glasses right now would be that Twilight Zone episode (well not really, I've got a spare set but they're a prescription old and give me eyestrain, or a pair of sunglasses).

Also what about disposable contacts? I know there's postal services for them but I know a few people who still pick them up from the opticians.
I don't know the details yet but I'm guessing they'll just be knocking up glasses based on existing prescriptions to those who really need them. Anyone who needs contact lenses should probaly be able to get them delivered directly.

But like the amount of putting stuff on your face while someone leans in really close involved in testing, let alone the walls of display model frames that only exist to be put on as may different faces as possible, its madness they didn't close down weeks ago.

Apparently they were using ppe and masks for testing, i didn't ask if they were sterilising the equipment tho. The one I used to work at was run by psycho accountants that decided things like adequate ventillation and grinding wheels that could actually cut lenses were things we could do without so lol I doubt it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Just woke up from nights, has something happened

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently the government has gotten stricter on the no going out thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It looks like you can basically blag it by saying whatever you're doing is important and then the cops can in turn blag you by being racists saying "No you're not sonny jim, get back indoors", or not if they believe you/can't be arsed. Also it's hard to see how they can argue if you go "I'm on my government-permitted walk of the day" unless selfsame copper has already seen you on a walk earlier or something.

I hope that the mere fact they're finally saying "No this is actually a legal thing not just airy advice" will by itself suffice to keep a chunk of people home but :shrug: whomst tf can say.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

Just woke up from nights, has something happened

Boris said you're grounded for 3 weeks

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
My work is shut but it's pending review because our parent company are trying to convince the government that builders yards etc are essential :smith:

I had a customer cough in my face yesterday "as a joke" I really, loving, really hope we don't reopen

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
12 days into the rona and I no longer feel like poo poo. Yay. But 12 days though, how many people will have been going out after 7 and murdering everyone around them?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Been told by my workmates my workplace running as normal because of the current confusion and super ambiguity of part of last night's announcement.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

bionic vapour boy posted:

I had a customer cough in my face yesterday "as a joke" I really, loving, really hope we don't reopen

loving hell! Surely in this case murder would have been a justified response?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/fromarsetoelbow/status/1242022256953503746?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Profanity posted:

What are the cliff notes on this? The opening the economy back up tonight poo poo obviously, but any other hilarious (terrifying) points?

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1242226792213118981?s=19

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ms Adequate posted:

It looks like you can basically blag it by saying whatever you're doing is important and then the cops can in turn blag you by being racists saying "No you're not sonny jim, get back indoors", or not if they believe you/can't be arsed. Also it's hard to see how they can argue if you go "I'm on my government-permitted walk of the day" unless selfsame copper has already seen you on a walk earlier or something.

I hope that the mere fact they're finally saying "No this is actually a legal thing not just airy advice" will by itself suffice to keep a chunk of people home but :shrug: whomst tf can say.
I suppose practically speaking it doesn’t matter too much if you treat yourself to an extra outdoor walk or whatever as long as interpersonal interactions are reduced to an absolute minimum, and this should certainly be enough to keep the moronic crowds away from Skegness.

Roads outside my flat are certainly quieter than normal but very far from deserted.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Getting ready to go to my absolutely not essential similar to Tortuga job

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

My work is shut but it's pending review because our parent company are trying to convince the government that builders yards etc are essential :smith:

It's a really tough situation because some electrical/building work is going to be essential- a close friend is an electrical engineer and has a contract with the local gp surgery- if he needs supplies for that he's going to struggle, but keeping the suppliers wide open means that many trades will just continue work as normal because (asides from the prospect of survival on ninety quid a week) no-one working in the shop will know if a few reels of twin core and earth and some fixtures are going to a hospital or some sadsack's new conservatory build.

Slashing their car tyres in response would have been hilarious fyi

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dog Pipes posted:

Call centre staff for motor and home insurers also. I work for a big insurer, investing fraud. I'm isolating until the 31st anyway but if by that point we're recording deaths in the hundreds every day, I'll hand in my cards before going back to an air conditioned office with 200 people per floor. I can get another job but not another set of lungs.

I find it very eery that someone with such a similar user name and avatar does a job that is connected to my own.

The Natch
Feb 16, 2011

oh man i love me some nachos

Tortuga posted:

Wow, actually hadn't seen this (shows how much I give a poo poo about my job). We handle PPI complaints - which is obviously something completely non imperative at the moment but I suppose could fall under any number of those descriptions.

Wouldn't want the banks to have to pay a bit more interest on the money they stole years ago though.

I do PPI complaints at a bank too, so far we've just been told we still have to come in, but we've moved where you sit a bit further apart. Whilst the majority of other workers in our building can work from home. Absolutely ridiculous.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/nsmith694/status/1242343836262846470

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It’s almost like boris is in cahoots with the virus

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52011915

Nice to see Mike Ashley is still in contention for the biggest rear end in a top hat in the country spot. Be interesting to see if and how hard he gets told to get stuffed.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Londoners are truly hosed, it seems.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

DesperateDan posted:

It's a really tough situation because some electrical/building work is going to be essential- a close friend is an electrical engineer and has a contract with the local gp surgery- if he needs supplies for that he's going to struggle, but keeping the suppliers wide open means that many trades will just continue work as normal because (asides from the prospect of survival on ninety quid a week) no-one working in the shop will know if a few reels of twin core and earth and some fixtures are going to a hospital or some sadsack's new conservatory build.

I've heard screwfix are moving to some sort of delivery only arrangement so they can shut their shops.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Soylent Yellow posted:

Nice to see Mike Ashley is still in contention for the biggest rear end in a top hat in the country spot. Be interesting to see if and how hard he gets told to get stuffed.

That didn't take long.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

learnincurve posted:

12 days into the rona and I no longer feel like poo poo. Yay. But 12 days though, how many people will have been going out after 7 and murdering everyone around them?
Good news my friend. Can I ask what all your symptoms were and how severe. I still feel snotty and a little achy, but it could as well of been a mean cold that Ive had this last week.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Keep seeing people saying what a good job Boris is doing, he looks hosed, give the guy a goddamn break why dontcha :clap emoji:

I guess just doing your job half-arsed is admirable

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Plenty of idiots will say that he did well under the circumstances, how could he have known how bad things would get, ignoring the fact that Spain and Italy exist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What was brexit for if not for us to have the right to ignore that spain and italy exist?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm a little sad I won't get to have post-viva celebrations with my partner and friends, we'd planned to have a nice little holiday back to Glasgow for a week around that time to catch up with people and relax, but well lol.

Guess a bottle of wine in quarantine will have to do, but assuming I make it through this I'm definitely setting aside a day to have a delayed blowout.

I take it you are back home now? Relieved?

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Endjinneer posted:

I've heard screwfix are moving to some sort of delivery only arrangement so they can shut their shops.

I think they're also going click & collect, so you can go into their shops but literally just to pick up an order, which seems... better?

Where I work couldn't feasibly do that I don't think, I'm hoping they'll realise they'd be losing money if they reopen. Obviously my concern is more, like, my own safety, plus the safety of construction sites remaining open, but they're only gonna think in terms of cash

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

If a twitter shout out for home hobbyists to make ventilators isn’t evidence of boris working hard I don’t know what is

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
https://assets.publishing.service.g...e_-_finalVF.pdf

Here's the official list of businesses allowed to remain open. It seems rather open-ended. In particular, I'm struggling to name a retail shop that couldn't creatively interpret the guidance to try staying open.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm hosting a Court of Appeal hearing from my living room over Skype this morning. Got 3 judges and 10 lawyers dialling in. Hope to gently caress it works!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jel Shaker posted:

If a twitter shout out for home hobbyists to make ventilators isn’t evidence of boris working hard I don’t know what is

On BBC Breakfast the other morning they had what was a massive advert for ProDrive. I get they're an F1 engineering firm and would probably come up with some great respirators, but no way could they produce them in the quantities that are needed or make any real difference.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Weasling Weasel posted:

Good news my friend. Can I ask what all your symptoms were and how severe. I still feel snotty and a little achy, but it could as well of been a mean cold that Ive had this last week.

It’s not like anything you will ever have experienced, everyone is different but for me things came on in waves and it was a new and exiting experience daily. Hindsight started with dry eyes and a high temperature, then being dizzy (which came and went for 11 days), lost my ability to taste sweet things and was absolutely knackered all the time. Occasionally my muscles aches through my bones. Couple of times it felt like I’d had a caffeine OD (I don’t drink anything with caffeine in it) as well.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

CancerCakes posted:

Plenty of idiots will say that he did well under the circumstances, how could he have known how bad things would get, ignoring the fact that Spain and Italy exist

Things people will say when this is all over:

"Oh but Boris only did a lockdown because the PUBLIC couldn't follow the guidance" (ignoring that the guidance was ridiculously vague, had no penalty, people have been telling them that unless you're an old you're not at risk) (and then the lockdown itself is full of loopholes and can be get around by anyone who's not a moron, and there's nowhere near enough police to enforce it, and there's nowhere near enough army to support them).

He's doing just enough to keep the public on his side. Tories will come out of this with a much bigger support (particularly when things like UBI and nationalisation are proven to work well).

On the plus side, my former workplace (insurance company) has FINALLY told people not to come in. My brother is the IT Risk Manager there, can do all of his work from home, and was expressly told he had to be in every day. They've been rolling out laptops but nowhere near quick enough. Hopefully that'll protect him and my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1242245135129346050

Thank you, Lord JESUS, for President TRUMP making us look slightly less like loving idiots.