Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ariong posted:

Okay, I don't get that box so I assume they're all standard. Well, that didn't work either, it still stopped responding as soon as I agreed to the license agreement. Thanks for trying everyone, I'll see if someone in the tech support forum has any ideas.

Have you tried to install something other than the driver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Cowcaster posted:

isn't that called thumper

No thumper is a worse version of audiosurf.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hub Cat posted:

Have you tried to install something other than the driver?

Yeah, I installed both Internet Explorer and Windows Edge because I read a suggestion that that might help. They both installed with no problem.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Definitely going to grab this, dungeon crawlers are a blind spot of mine and I've heard more recent ones like Conglomerate 451 borrow from this.

Speaking of Weeklong Deals, there's a lot of them! And a lot of really good and unique ones, like Apsulov: End of Gods, Open Sorcery, Smoke and Sacrifice, and the Amanita adventures. Have a huge list of recommendations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Okay, I don't get that box so I assume they're all standard. Well, that didn't work either, it still stopped responding as soon as I agreed to the license agreement. Thanks for trying everyone, I'll see if someone in the tech support forum has any ideas.
What OS are you using, because to me that's what the box looks like for a GTX 970 and Win10:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

orcane posted:

What OS are you using, because to me that's what the box looks like for a GTX 970 and Win10:

Windows 7, 64-bit. This computer is a bit of a dinosaur, but the graphics card is the newest component (a 970) so I’m not sure why I would be unable to installer drivers onto it. Besides, the drivers I’m trying to install are specifically for Windows 7.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Quite nice for 2 bucks, but is there anywhere in the UI that says how many people you can take on a team?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nvidia hosed something up for 970s since the card is so old, look for drivers 431.60 or 432.00 or around there

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bruceski posted:

Quite nice for 2 bucks, but is there anywhere in the UI that says how many people you can take on a team?
Looks like 4. The second to last screenshot has 4 player characters and the battle ones all have 4 that say ALLY as opposed to varying amounts of enemies.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I like Dungeon Crawls and consider Wizardry8 one of the best games ever, easily an all time favorite of mine, but also thought Legend of Grimrock sucked total poo poo, where does game lean more towards?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Leal posted:

Headcrabs showed up so I grabbed a bucket and proceeded to hold it up and shoot from behind it and blocked the headcrabs whenever they made an attempt for my head. Alyx owns.

Proof that a 2d screen couldnt replicate this.
Theres no way any pleb 2d game could ever have a "pickup" and "block" button

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Im_Special posted:

I like Dungeon Crawls and consider Wizardry8 one of the best games ever, easily an all time favorite of mine, but also thought Legend of Grimrock sucked total poo poo, where does game lean more towards?

I've never played Wizardry 8, but the number of hand designed dungeons/encounters is sort of low, with the rest being boring procedurally generated stuff. It's functional, but it's just not that interesting, and you do a LOT of the procedural stuff. The encounters are turn-based, rather than Grimrock's real time, though.

That being said, the classes are pretty interesting, and if the devs ever built on Starcrawlers and remove all the procedural stuff and put in actually designed dungeons, I'd definitely give it a go.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kly posted:

Proof that a 2d screen couldnt replicate this.
Theres no way any pleb 2d game could ever have a "pickup" and "block" button

You should give VR a shot you'd prolly like it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

VR is fun in small doses for me. Beat Sabre is a trip for real.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mischievous Mink posted:

I think it would be totally impossible. You don't get any sense of scale or place from screenshots or video of Alyx. You wouldn't get anything resembling the same experience of being in a room and just looking around yourself in VR on a monitor. It's not translatable. The immersion and feeling of being somewhere is a huge part of what makes it all gel together for me.

Yeah, seriously. The sense of scale you get from the open balcony alone is just incredible. It really feels like a living, breathing city under alien occupation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I play games to escape that poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Im_Special posted:

Wizardry, everything is turn-based and not real-time like in Grimrock.

I got bored of Starcrawlers real loving fast though. There's very little mission variety outside of the main plot missions and the procedurally-generated missions get very samey very quickly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
VR interaction eliminates the need for buttons for a few arbitrary acts or gestures, and lets you do so much more besides with it. Things like physics puzzles work much better when you can actually use your hands to rotate and place something properly. Combat's far better too, because you can do stuff like shoot around corners, or grab something and use it for cover while you shoot one-handed on the move. Nevermind something as simply reloading your gun being more engaging, and hectic, because you have to physically slam a mag and pull the slide.

All the random clutter that does nothing in other games except exist to say "look you can pick this up" makes for great improvised weaponry to smash someone's skull in with in VR. Or just actually turn it something in your hands to look at it properly and give it a poke with your finger because hey, you can actually pick it up. Basically take all the extraneous game design ideas from like the early/mid-00's that sounded neat on paper and didn't really pan out, and realize that their time has functionally come again in earnest because they work as-intended without a mouse and keyboard in the way to simulate what can be done better naturally.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Uplay related stuff: Child of Light is free for a couple of days (not yet as of this post, but in two hours) and they've got a free weekend for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint that you can pre-load already. It seems that everybody who could have cared about that game was already playing The Division 2 when it came out. But apparently it has a fresh update that allows you to disable leveled loot and tweak a whole lot of gameplay settings to your liking, keeping those individual preferences for co-op. So I guess this weekend I'll be shooting the poo poo while shooting poo poo.

Oxxidation posted:

metro exodus: green stuff

It's the best way to clean your dirty guns in a post-apocalyptic Russia.™

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 24, 2020

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Im_Special posted:

It's not really anything like wizardry 8. It's closer to the older wizardry games like 5 or 6. It isn't a real time square dance game like grimrock either though.

It's turn based but combat happens in its own separate space ("modal") and it takes places in self contained small dungeons. Not really like the sprawling nature of later wizardry or might and magic.

I thought it was alright but never stuck with it very long.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

lol I own this and don't remember why. I'll have to give it a shot.
Seven is... weird. The concept (top-down-sneak-em-up-RPG) and worldbuilding are great, but the execution is flawed on many levels, the biggest issue probably being that while the areas get a lot more complicated as you go on, you never really get more powerful by engaging with the world (no experience system, for one).
This was a deliberate decision meant to keep the player on their toes and stop fighting from becoming routine but the result is a really frustrating experience where navigating through the world needs to be done in exact same ways with exactly the same threats multiple times since it's open world and does not convey what you are doing and where you're going too well so there will be revisiting of areas.
I really like the idea of it but got too frustrated to continue after some 12 hours. If you can get it under ten bucks it's worth a try but wouldn't get it any higher than that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like and own a VR headset but y'all motherfuckers sound like a cult.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All hail the VR headset, may its frames be high and its tempurature low c'thulu f'tangha aie aie aie aie aie

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I absolutely loathed Starcrawlers and would strongly recommend against it.

Gfx wise it was pretty, and I enjoyed being able to poke around the real-3d environments with their details - it really sold the immersion a lot. A lot of the game is procgen grinding for levels (!!), and when fights happen you get the cutaway to final-fantasy style combat. The combat and the way you level was filled with a lot of minor tropes that I personally classify as red flags (but the details escape me, it's been a while sorry). I finally put it down after a storyline dungeon that had infinitely spawning enemies (fine) that constantly sucked you into a fight against total fodder-which-summons-more-fodder that posed zero threat, but took 2+ minutes each fight but could only take a step or two after the fight before repeating.

It's a game with good assets that seemed reasonable on paper, but the basic gameplay that everything's built up upon was lacking in *fun*.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

For all the people who are going on and on about how VR is so immersive: how does it feel when the environment doesn't "push back" against you? Like if you swing a melee weapon at something and miss and hit a wall, the weapon stops but your arms keep going. Or when you fire a gun you don't feel the recoil. Or pulling a set of shelves over to block a door requires the same effort as picking up some random small thing off those same shelves.

Skyarb posted:

I won't suffer any trash talk against Thumper. Meet me on the soccer field after school.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Skyarb posted:

Counterpoint: Audiosurf wasn't made by one of the dudes from Lightning Bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyANR4fiDw

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How did Red Dead Redemption 2 turn out on PC? It's on sale for another 4 hours. I am blasting through Borderlands 3 and may need something else to play soon. My wishlist is full of games that don't release until summer for the most part, so it's either that or Doom Eternal I think.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ragequit posted:

How did Red Dead Redemption 2 turn out on PC? It's on sale for another 4 hours. I am blasting through Borderlands 3 and may need something else to play soon. My wishlist is full of games that don't release until summer for the most part, so it's either that or Doom Eternal I think.

Pretty much the best open world game there is. Make sure you have some great hardware, otherwise you're in for some tuning to get it proper running on just 1920x1080. Still looks better then as on consoles though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

owl_pellet posted:

For all the people who are going on and on about how VR is so immersive: how does it feel when the environment doesn't "push back" against you? Like if you swing a melee weapon at something and miss and hit a wall, the weapon stops but your arms keep going. Or when you fire a gun you don't feel the recoil. Or pulling a set of shelves over to block a door requires the same effort as picking up some random small thing off those same shelves.

You'd probably be surprised how easily well-implemented visual and audio feedback combined with a little rumble can actually trick your brain into feeling like you're meeting resistance. But yeah, it's definitely still a problem to solve -- I think the technology for really good haptic feedback is there but most people probably don't want to put on a bulky Power Glove to play VR or whatever

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

owl_pellet posted:

It’s weird at first. But most games, HLA included, do a good job of simulating the work needed to move heavy stuff.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

haldolium posted:

Pretty much the best open world game there is. Make sure you have some great hardware, otherwise you're in for some tuning to get it proper running on just 1920x1080. Still looks better then as on consoles though

I have a 3570K with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1080. Is my CPU going to bottleneck me?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

I have a 3570K with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1080. Is my CPU going to bottleneck me?

That's not too terribly above minimum recc but you should be able to make it work.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

I got it on PS4 when it came out and I was so dissapointed. The controls suck, the missions are boring, and a lot of the “realism” bits are completely immersion breaking. It’s not immersive when I keep having to think about convoluted systems or check button prompts to make sure I don’t draw down on someone instead of talking to them. And the bounty system is a complete mess- I had someone report me for murder... because I killed their kidnappers. Which cost me all the money I had built up. It’s a Brink-level letdown for me.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got it on PS4 when it came out and I was so dissapointed. The controls suck, the missions are boring, and a lot of the “realism” bits are completely immersion breaking. It’s not immersive when I keep having to think about convoluted systems or check button prompts to make sure I don’t draw down on someone instead of talking to them. And the bounty system is a complete mess- I had someone report me for murder... because I killed their kidnappers. Which cost me all the money I had built up. It’s a Brink-level letdown for me.

Ok that sounds pretty bad. I also found a review from last month where there are hacking concerns. Trolls teleporting others, spawning cougars/bears on people, etc. Though I would hope the online component is separate from the single player campaign.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orv posted:

That's not too terribly above minimum recc but you should be able to make it work.

oofa doofa how nutso is the game that a 1080 isn't pulling its weight anymore

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

do you expect us to not have realistic horse balls

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

oofa doofa how nutso is the game that a 1080 isn't pulling its weight anymore

It is a very CPU intensive game and a weirdly optimized one atop that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Just don't bother with RDO, it's a bit of a mixed bag for people.

I've got tons of hours in RDO and haven't run into a single hacker cause I'm just soloing doing cowboy things, I've run into a couple of griefers that put a damper on things but it never lasts long and I usually just log out and back in to get another server.

Yes the controls take some getting used to but I don't think that it's as bad as people make it out to be, I play with M&KB and have been having a great time.
It's not really a game that you jump in and out of because it's definitely meant to immerse you with how slow and deliberate it can be but the systems aren't nearly on the level of a survival game, eat whenever drink whenever... it doesn't matter because resources are all pretty plentiful.

Characters are all super charming, likabl, and hateable in completely human ways, environments are gorgeous, shooting is fantastic, and the horse mechanics are just perfect enough to have ruined horses for me in other games.

I honestly thought I was going to refund it after an hour but it ended up sucking me in pretty good, if you have any love for westerns then you kind of owe it to yourself to check it out.

The first chapter is essentially a video game version of the Hateful Eight and it's wonderful.

Oh and I'm on a i7 3770, 970 GTX, and 16gbs of ram and it runs surprisingly okay for me at around 40/50 fps. But, it's just cause I love the game so much that I can tolerate the lower FPS... it's not like it matters that much in a game like this but different strokes.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 24, 2020

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

It is a very CPU intensive game and a weirdly optimized one atop that.

Good to know. I will be getting a Ryzen 5 3600X in the future, so I'll definitely hold off for now if it's CPU intensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

owl_pellet posted:

I won't suffer any trash talk against Thumper. Meet me on the soccer field after school.

In the same way that you see people lean in their seats holding a controller when playing racing games to match the turns.
Your brain fills in so, so many gaps in everything. Turns out in VR it does the same thing when it comes to touch, or your awareness in the environment. Because you are sealed off, visually, from everything else and your hands are fully tracked in real time it suddenly becomes extremely easy to lead your brain along in all sorts of impossible realities. It depends on the design of the game in how it reacts to these different things but if you have a good design then you will never go "Oh ho ho I am putting my hand on this wall and don't feel it suck it down VRailures I am not immeresed" or "this gun isn't actually recoiling immersion RUINED" instead you'll go "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" and "goddamnit gently caress" as you fumble trying to reload your gun in the heat of battle.