Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
These things VIBRATE? :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Shine posted:

These things VIBRATE? :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

While it's not a very realistic way of communicating with you, it's pretty awesome once you get used to it. I had a driver update where it somehow missed to tell my that my pedal firmware needs an update, and I wondered for quite some time "what I am missing" when locking up or spinning the wheels. Similar to when the motion platform stopped working and it felt like I'm tonedeaf or something.

In one part, it's pretty incredible on how you get used to all the tactile feedback without even knowing, but on the other side it's also extemely hard to go back. I simply can no longer drive without VR, good FFB and all the tactile poo poo that's going on around me and still have the same kind of fun.

I got one of the F1 codemaster games for the PS4 when it was on sale for couple of bucks and thought it would be a good idea to learn some tracks I haven't driven that often when I'm at home (my simrig is at my office), but nah. Driving with the controller, on a TV, without any FFB and stuff, it simply was no fun at all.

Propper simracing is a drug, imo.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Does pedal vibration help much? I’ve considered that mod for my g27 pedals, though I don’t feel like opening them up again after the load cell mod

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rated PG-34 posted:

Does pedal vibration help much? I’ve considered that mod for my g27 pedals, though I don’t feel like opening them up again after the load cell mod

I never found the "ABS" feature on my Fanatec wheel to be particularly useful, but that wasn't actually tied to the game it just vibrated at a certain pedal pressure.

That said I love the trigger vibration on the Xbox One era Forza games because it lets me actually feel that threshold. I didn't notice how much it mattered until I tried to play on my PC with an Xbox 360 controller. Like tuo said it doesn't feel like a real car, but just having something to feel is worth a lot. I would have to imagine that pedal vibration that was actually real feedback would be equally helpful.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yeah, it depends if the game actually supports it (else it's pretty useless). I found it a totally useless feature (in games that did support it) until it was gone...then I realized my feet actually listened for it without me really noticing (mostly on the brake).

It's similar with the (older, not the platinum) Porsche rim in regard to the ones without vibration. You don't really notice it until you switch to like the BMW GT2 rim and notice something's off.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I set up the motors on SimHub. It takes like 5 minutes, and lets them activate off telemetry, like bass shakers. Using them for wheel lock and slip data (for brake and throttle, respectively) seems like the most useful application, but so far I like having them react to road vibrations/bunps/kerbs, like my bass shaker does. It's nice to have both my seat and feet vibrate the same way.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Basshakers are a super fun addition to a sim rig, and pretty inexpensive if you don't mind a tiny amount of DIY mounting. I have 2 dayton audio shakers and a 2 channel amp with simhub that cost me $80 or so and it adds so much to the immersion factor.

Started iracing without simhub running the other day and it was like eating food when you've lost your sense of taste

E; although I should add step 1) is "ideally live in a detached house and have your simrig on the ground floor or make sure you have VERY tolerant neighbours/family"

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 4, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I have a Buttkicker Gamer 2 on mine, and the rig on a horse stall mat, and my neighbors below haven't complained or poked their ceiling with a broom, even though I play mostly in the middle of the night. I don't have it turned up crazy high, but it's enough to feel a satisfying rumble, and my wife can't feel it (and barely hears it) when she's in the room. You can get one from a local barn/feed shop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was wondering if someone could please help me find a power adapter for a Logitech GT Force racing wheel. Mine no longer works I think and is the reason why there is no force feedback.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

I was wondering if someone could please help me find a power adapter for a Logitech GT Force racing wheel. Mine no longer works I think and is the reason why there is no force feedback.

Should be fairly easy to find a replacement on amazon. Look at the spec of the adapter (output voltage and amperage and the polarity (center positive or negative) and combine those into a search on amazon. It uses a standard barrel connector for the power supply so that should be good. You’re looking at probably $15.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Does a standard 24v power supply from amazon not cut it?

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
For any of you shitters on iRacing and not on discord I've updated IRBG for 2020 S2 https://irbg.net

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Huge update to the Assetto Corsa version of Maple Valley

https://mega.nz/#!uHw0hKwb!FDuP1_3dBzUBHTyRQTt50zO6jOQEu1kyytCscw79g8c

If you have "merge meshes" turned on the custom shaders patch make sure it's turned off or the track won't load.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 12, 2020

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Gah, I was not paying attention while unfolding my Playseat Challenge today and my T-GT wheel swung down, right onto the sharp-ish top edge of my pedals, leaving about a 1/4" gash at the 7 o'clock position on the wheel. :negative: I had been able to keep it in perfect condition for 2 years prior to this.

Anyone have advice on leather steering wheel repair? I don't even know if this is real leather so there's probably a good chance I would just end up making things worse.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Parker Lewis posted:

Gah, I was not paying attention while unfolding my Playseat Challenge today and my T-GT wheel swung down, right onto the sharp-ish top edge of my pedals, leaving about a 1/4" gash at the 7 o'clock position on the wheel. :negative: I had been able to keep it in perfect condition for 2 years prior to this.

Anyone have advice on leather steering wheel repair? I don't even know if this is real leather so there's probably a good chance I would just end up making things worse.

Looks like you can lose!

But yeah, that sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've seen people successfully use tennis racket wrap on those old first generation Fanatec CSR wheels that the wheel delaminates on

https://www.amazon.com/slp/tennis-racket-wrap-tape/bp23v885j6xy35s

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone here play MX Simulator?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
My humble ChumpPit:

Enjoy racing, just wish I was better. In the never ending quest to spend more money to not really get any better, the two things I want to add are force feedback pedals and something like the ButtKicker Simulation Kit (https://thebuttkicker.com/bk-sk/) or Gamer2.

Is getting good transduced sound as easy as buying one of the ButtKicker kits and reading the instructions? Or would I be better off buy pieces a la carte, so to speak?

NtotheTC posted:

Basshakers are a super fun addition to a sim rig, and pretty inexpensive if you don't mind a tiny amount of DIY mounting. I have 2 dayton audio shakers and a 2 channel amp with simhub that cost me $80 or so and it adds so much to the immersion factor.
Doing a little reading--going the DIY route, I'm soldering an Arduino, right? Is mixing Dayton speakers with ButtKicker stuff a thing?

The pedals--it seems if I want force feedback it is the Fanatec ClubSport V3's? With the Brake Dampening Kit?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Consensus on the dampener seems to be that it's a nice addition for the throttle, but the Performance Kit is better for the brake. It lets you customize the stiffness of the brake to a much wider degree than the default setup. I had the vanilla setup for a few days before I got the kit, and it's a massive difference. Mine has about an inch of travel before it's all pressure, which makes it stop right next to the throttle for easier heel-toe in cars where that's necessary.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

force feedback pedals

Just making sure: You mean a load-cell brake pedal, right? If you want to save a bit of money, you could go for the Fanatec CSL Elite with load-cell.

Mind you, I have the Clubsport V3 and they're pretty drat nice.

How robust is your DIY setup? You're gonna be putting a LOT of pressure on LC pedals.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

HycoCam posted:

My humble ChumpPit:

Enjoy racing, just wish I was better. In the never ending quest to spend more money to not really get any better, the two things I want to add are force feedback pedals and something like the ButtKicker Simulation Kit (https://thebuttkicker.com/bk-sk/) or Gamer2.

Is getting good transduced sound as easy as buying one of the ButtKicker kits and reading the instructions? Or would I be better off buy pieces a la carte, so to speak?

Doing a little reading--going the DIY route, I'm soldering an Arduino, right? Is mixing Dayton speakers with ButtKicker stuff a thing?

The pedals--it seems if I want force feedback it is the Fanatec ClubSport V3's? With the Brake Dampening Kit?

I didn't need to use an arduino at all, I got:

Amp: https://www.parts-express.com/tpa3116d2-2x50w-class-d-stereo-amplifier-board-with-volume-control--320-699
2x shakers: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bst-1-high-power-pro-tactile-bass-shaker-50-watts--295-244

I built a little enclosure for the amp so it was easier to attach things, and you'll need a 24V powersupply that you don't mind chopping the end off so you can wire it in

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

New rally location and car just came out for Dirt Rally 2 - free if you have owned either of the season passes (1+2 or 3+4)

Here is some cockpit footage of one of the new stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcPQZtwgtkk

I just did both of the new long stages and they seem really good. Like a mix of wales and finland with some climbing sections kind of like greece. Pretty impressed with the effort, its not just using the wales tileset.

So if you get it 'free'already paid for it, certainly worth trying.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah. I just tried it and its real good. Its a nice combination of high speed and real technical stuff. I did the weekly first going in blind to get the real rally experience, and it reminded me what I like so much about the game. I wish new stages would be a more common occurrence, but I guess that gets real expensive for Codemasters.

There are some benefits to doing events early :toot: I'm going to get trashed as people with more practice start competing though. I think these are the stages where knowing it by hart will make the biggest difference. The notes aren't great either. Everything from flat in fourth to first gear corners are called as 3's.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Colin McCraes Legacy and WRX (coupe) are both in the game and free and holy gently caress is it good.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the base tune on the legacy is good, it keeps turning nicely mid corner.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
They got Emerson f***ing Fittipaldi to join a sim race! The man is 73 years old. I think this is seriously cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRv7-gKAqlE&t=7103s
(Skip to 1:58:20.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol even the pros all stuff it in turn 1

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steen71 posted:

They got Emerson f***ing Fittipaldi to join a sim race! The man is 73 years old. I think this is seriously cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRv7-gKAqlE&t=7103s
(Skip to 1:58:20.)

Fittipaldi was one of the only non-Stock Car licensed drivers Reiza got for Stock Car Extreme, he's always been down with sim racing.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Fittipaldi was one of the only non-Stock Car licensed drivers Reiza got for Stock Car Extreme, he's always been down with sim racing.

Oh, I forgot about that. :)

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
So, this is more for Euro Truck Simulator than for anything else, but I figured this would be the thread to ask. I (a Canadian) am in the market for a very budget minded wheel controller for PS4/PC. Is this Thrustmaster T80 good enough?

https://www.amazon.ca/Thrustmaster-T80-Ferrari-488-Gtb/dp/B077MT5XPP/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=racing+wheel&qid=1585587129&sr=8-8

I don't want to spend much more than this, and there's no thriving used peripherals market where I live. The other option is the Hori Apex:

https://www.amazon.ca/Hori-Apex-Racing-Wheel-PlayStation/dp/B01LZ3AEFP/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=racing+wheel&qid=1585587891&sr=8-7

But it's out of stock on Amazon, but if it's better then I can probably find it somewhere.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

El Generico posted:

So, this is more for Euro Truck Simulator than for anything else, but I figured this would be the thread to ask. I (a Canadian) am in the market for a very budget minded wheel controller for PS4/PC. Is this Thrustmaster T80 good enough?

https://www.amazon.ca/Thrustmaster-T80-Ferrari-488-Gtb/dp/B077MT5XPP/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=racing+wheel&qid=1585587129&sr=8-8

I don't want to spend much more than this, and there's no thriving used peripherals market where I live. The other option is the Hori Apex:

https://www.amazon.ca/Hori-Apex-Racing-Wheel-PlayStation/dp/B01LZ3AEFP/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=racing+wheel&qid=1585587891&sr=8-7

But it's out of stock on Amazon, but if it's better then I can probably find it somewhere.

T80 should be decent for some truck drivin, I'd probably stay away from something unknown like the hori.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

El Generico posted:

If it’s something you’ll be using for Euro Truck Simulator then that T80 would be fine. I’d be worried about the bungee system they use but if you’re just casually playing a few hours a week then it would be okay for you.

Don’t buy the Hori.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The t80 is a bungee cord wheel, just FYI. It will work but it’s essentially a gigantic Xbox control stick.

If you can find a used Logitech Driving Force GT or a Thrustmaster T150, both are gigantic upgrades from a bungee wheel.

I bought a DFGT off Facebook marketplace for $25, it was my start in sim racing.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you can find a used Logitech Driving Force GT or a Thrustmaster T150, both are gigantic upgrades from a bungee wheel.

Hmmm...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/OB-Thrustma...uwAAOSw5AhcT4gT

Too sketchy?

EDIT: I bought it! Looking forward to it!

El Generico fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 30, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I mostly play Dirt Rally 2.0 on Xbox One X. I have owned a G920 in the past but didnt have a suitable mount/stand for it so quickly sold it.

Whats the feeling on Thrustmaster vs Logitech? trying to find a used TMX Pro or G920 with stand, trying to avoid logitech since the wheel is kinda small.

alternatively, whats the best option in the 'not entry level but not $400+ for the wheel+pedals' category?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A G920 will probably work out cheaper in the long run, since it comes with a full 3 pedals. While if you want 3 pedals on Thrustmaster you'd then have to buy the T3PA pedals later on. Mechanism wise I think they're roughly even, though there are a lot of stories about Thrustmaster power supplies failing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

njsykora posted:

A G920 will probably work out cheaper in the long run, since it comes with a full 3 pedals. While if you want 3 pedals on Thrustmaster you'd then have to buy the T3PA pedals later on. Mechanism wise I think they're roughly even, though there are a lot of stories about Thrustmaster power supplies failing.

the TMX pro comes with Pedals new, so most of the used sales have them included.

the only difference between the G920 and the TMX pro is the TMX is 1cm larger dia. wheel.

im not bothered by a shifter at this point in time since I prefer paddles for gaming.

Theres been a few Playseat setups going kinda cheap but they all have PS4 wheels on them and the market isnt fantastic here for selling a wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you ever think you might want a different rim, go with Thrustmaster. I have an F1 wheel and the default T300RS wheel for mine and I love both of them.

Any of the non-loadcell OEM pedals are all not good, just in different ways.

The ticket if you can swing it is a wheel by itself (T300, TMX, G290, etc) and a set of fanatec loadcell pedals.

I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I'm convinced the only good thing Fanatec makes are their pedals. Their facebook is positively swamped with people with busted wheels. The DD wheels especially seem to be bad

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This all sounds like a lot for trucksim.

You don't need loadcell for ats/ets .. you just hammer down till your exit then mash the trailer brake and brake pedal to avoid trailer damage crashing into the enemy AI traffic.

I'd recommend a t150 or G920 if you can swing it.. or wait for something to pop up on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. The t80 is a starting point but is going to leave you wishing you had more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I forgot we were talking truck sim. If you’re truckin then use the default pedals it comes with, a load cell isn’t nearly as important there.