Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I can only imagine how poo poo judges are at using conference call software. So much feedback and non-muting.

Condolances

I told them to assume that every minute they're in the room with the laptop to assume that both camera and mic are live. Last thing I want is some gout-ridden old geezer farting all the way through some child abuse evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I do:

Read your meter every few days.
Put on spreadsheet.
Check your tariff: my electric is approx 25p per day unit (incl VAT) and half that per night unit. + 25p per day standing charge.
Gas is a bit harder to work out.
Then you can calculate it.

25p seems pretty high for an electricity unit rate, even on an Eco7 day rate. Are you on a fixed or variable tariff?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A year ago I had a super serious flare up of Crohn's disease, and started 3 immuno-surpressant medicines, now down to 2, I spent most of the year self-isolating, extremely germophobic and anxious, and recently started trying to go back to normal, then Corona hits.

Part of me feels used to it and ready to just do it again, but part of me is ready to snap already. :suicide:

If it was just the isolation I could probably handle it but the isolation coupled with the uncertainty of the situation, and the incredible irritation that I'd honestly made a lot of progress in the last 6 months and I was ready to go OUT and DO THINGS and whatnot and then... nope.

Plus feeling even more useless to the world than normal - I'd just got a job I felt was as useful as I could probably be in the current climate, and then this happens and that entire arm of the organisation is shut for the foreseeable future and I feel like a wastrel entering back data from last term's education rgisters when people are literally being left out in the cold because the loving building is closed.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Don't know if it was in last night's broadcast but reservist squaddies are starting to be called up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well I've been told that my role isn't considered essentially but until the company make an official decision I have to come to work

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Boris combats claims of U turn by opting to rapidly spin in place

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sassassin posted:

You realise that your "being helpful" is adding to the problem, right? Doing a tour of every shop in town is a great way to catch and spread the virus. People assume you must be looking for things for yourself as the alternative is bizarre given the current situation.

I maintained social distance at all time. I don't think it's bizarre at all. Otherwise you will have hundreds of people marauding round trying to find bogroll.
Also I'm on a group of people who will be doing shopping for others who can't (ed: so them having the info that there's no bogroll to be found in 10 of the shops stops them going into those shops and spreading).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 24, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Aphex- posted:

25p seems pretty high for an electricity unit rate, even on an Eco7 day rate. Are you on a fixed or variable tariff?

It is high. Sadly tied in for 18 months. It was supposed to be a joint rate with broadband with the broadband rate £13 per month for 40MB fibre.
SSE are the supplier and because I'd been happy with them in my last place then I stuck with them.

BUT SSE on the broadband front were bloody useless and to cut a very long and boring story short I ended up with £50 compensation and a Three homehub for £22pm and 80MB (no phone line necessary) and too late to change the tariff.

I assume they were making a bit of bunce on the electric to cover the lower cost of the broadband. Stuck with this tariff for another year approx.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

outside Waitrose at 8 I shouted at the crowd to form an orderly queue, 2m apart. and they did. feels like the first genuinely useful thing I’ve done all week.

still want the guy who skipped ahead of me before that to catch the rona and die though. gently caress him.

and I know someone posted a company email yesterday saying don’t wear masks on the shop floor. fwiw it doesn’t look like that’s being enforced.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
becareful of the pigs and stazi/gauleiters when going outside

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Can you go to pet funerals

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ash Crimson posted:

becareful of the pigs and stazi/gauleiters when going outside

I'm sure the 20 or so beat cops available on shift to southend polis will do their best to oppress the 175,000 people here

They might have to bring in what military personnel are available though- someone who did 5 years in the royal naval reserve some time in the mid seventies could drive along the seafront later in their motability scooter and yell at people to gently caress off home. He's actually been doing it for years anyway, off his own bat.

Sarcasm aside, things do seem quieter on the street today, planning on going out for an exercise and a vitals shop on friday

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Can you go to pet funerals

if my dog dies in the next few months we've already decided to dig a hole in the garden and chuck him in it (not really, but if the vet's closed due to self-isolation etc I'm not sure what other option we'd have)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, interesting thought experiment time - what if there was a cure for COVID? Not a miracle cure, something with nasty side-effects that needs proper testing? Presumably governments would know about this, and I guarantee that the cowboys on either side of the Atlantic would *absolutely* put off lockdown as long as possible figuring if they can keep the death toll in the thousands or even tens of thousands while keeping the economy ticking over they'd look like absolute loving geniuses.

Then what if it turned out actually no, the cure isn't as effective as we thought, or the side effects are much worse, or we just don't have the ability to get enough of it out to stay ahead of the deaths? Wouldn't that then see them rapidly escalating lockdown (and Trump's fully-liquid brain continuing to babble about the cure)?

e: Actually if the cure was only available in limited quantities, you'd *definitely* see the rich who can get their hands on it telling everyone they need to get back to work to keep the number up.

I suppose, like all conspiracy theories, this is actually a desperate attempt to pretend that the people in charge are malicious rather than incompetent and negligent, because it's somehow comforting to think that someone wants you dead rather than is just too lazy to stop you dying. At least they're thinking about you.

Trump thinks that antimalarial medicine is a miracle cure, based off a chain email he read or something. So you could have your scenario with the people in charge being both malicious and incompetent

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I find it very eery that someone with such a similar user name and avatar does a job that is connected to my own.

Holy poo poo. Steve? Is that you?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, interesting thought experiment time...

We saw exactly what happens here with tamiflu and the swine flu outbreak.

They buy it without thinking, build up huge stockpiles, and prioritise healthcare workers to get it.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

We have a little shop around the corner from us that stocks the essentials - booze, bread, milk, some frozen foods, more booze, etc. Due to the previous owner taking a severe beating in a robbery some years ago, there is now a glass and metal construction inside the shop which protects most of the goods and you are served out of a hatch.

I was around there the other day and the owner asked if we had everything we needed, which was very good of him. He told me that he is not raising his prices, but warned that wholesalers are, and that he is restricting people to one of each item: one bread, one milk etc. Because he serves out of a hatch and the goods are behind glass, he assumed he would be able to do this easily. There are a lot of elderly people in the area, so he is not just a lifeline for us but for a lot of vulnerable people that cannot easily get to the supermarket.

Fast forward to yesterday (a space of four days) and he was telling me he is thinking of closing all together. He is copping dogs abuse for limiting items to people, folk are hammering on the glass sides, calling him a p*ki oval office etc. All because they're greedy. We were hoping to get through this with his help and also keep him in business by using the shop. I'm sickened by the way a lot of people are behaving throughout this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It is high. Sadly tied in for 18 months. It was supposed to be a joint rate with broadband with the broadband rate £13 per month for 40MB fibre.
SSE are the supplier and because I'd been happy with them in my last place then I stuck with them.

BUT SSE on the broadband front were bloody useless and to cut a very long and boring story short I ended up with £50 compensation and a Three homehub for £22pm and 80MB (no phone line necessary) and too late to change the tariff.

I assume they were making a bit of bunce on the electric to cover the lower cost of the broadband. Stuck with this tariff for another year approx.

Out of contract electricity rates are 25.5p/kWh. They're more than just "making bunce", they're ripping you off.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I find it very eery that someone with such a similar user name and avatar does a job that is connected to my own.

Do you work at the dog piping factory or the pipe dogging factory?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Doccykins posted:

Don't know if it was in last night's broadcast but reservist squaddies are starting to be called up

Suddenly realising that I'm ex army and have no idea how this whole regular reserve business even works

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure what else anyone would expect from the blitz spirit of a group of people who are convinced they were born 40 years earlier than they were and have spent their whole lives telling everyone else to get hosed if it so much as inconveniences them.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Light the beacons, the rent strike is on!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52016263

Burger King chief executive Alasdair Murdoch has said that the fast food chain will not be paying rent due on its UK restaurants this week.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Turns out the blitz spirit just means "telling people how tough my life is"

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure what else anyone would expect from the blitz spirit of a group of people who are convinced they were born 40 years earlier than they were and have spent their whole lives telling everyone else to get hosed if it so much as inconveniences them.

Experience of World War 2 limited to watching Dad's Army reruns.

"We've faced much worse"

"They didn't collect the bins in 1978!"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The real PM

https://twitter.com/SandyAdam5/status/1242375121114935297

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

biglads posted:

Experience of World War 2 limited to watching Dad's Army reruns.

"We've faced much worse"

"They didn't collect the bins in 1978!"

Watching the Dad's Army intro with parents:

'He's dead. He's dead. Oooh, he died young. He's dead.

Every time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

Trump thinks that antimalarial medicine is a miracle cure, based off a chain email he read or something. So you could have your scenario with the people in charge being both malicious and incompetent

The hydroxyquinone thing was what I specifically had in mind, yes, but I'm certain every compound known to medical science is being thrown at this thing. Which leads into a wider ethical question - say it turns out that British Anti-Lewisite turns out to be the cure (I pick this as an obscure drug that's mostly been supplanted by others but which still has some non-quack (and lots and lots of quack) applications).

It's a drug with some very nasty side-effects, and there are at the moment limited supplies of it, and it might take a month or two to ramp up production to the point where there's enough to go round. Would it be ethical for the researchers who discovered it's effectiveness to openly publish the results, knowing it would cause multiple deaths among the worried well (like the bloke who drunk aquarium cleaner because he saw "hydroxyquinone" in the ingredients list), would definitely lead to people taking isolation much less seriously, leading to far more deaths in vulnerable populations and those unable to take the treatment, as well as deaths in people with conditions currently being treated with it who find supplies dried up by profiteers? Or even given that, would it still be the more ethical thing for them to do to openly publish it to prevent governments (and drug companies) attempting to manipulate the cure for their own ends?

Like I say this is definitely more of a thought experiment than an actual theory about what might be happening in the world, but let's face it we've all got extra thinking time right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of course they're all dead they were all old when it was filmed and that was a lifetime ago.

The only one conceivably not dead is Pike and he'd be like 80 now or something.

E: 74

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Lavender

E: also apparently the vicar, at 88.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 24, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Building is one I would put on a case by case basis. Like if you've taken someone's roof off or but their water etc then at least work until you've made it weather tight.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Dog Pipes posted:

Watching the Dad's Army intro with parents:

'He's dead. He's dead. Oooh, he died young. He's dead.

Every time.

Uncanny, it must be hard coded in. I also got, "they filmed that bit down the road you know".

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Wasn't it a Mary Whitehouse Experience bit?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Of course they're all dead they were all old when it was filmed and that was a lifetime ago.

The vicar's still alive too, he was in the film.

Clive Dunn was only in his 40s when it started shooting, but that was still - holy poo poo - 52 years ago.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

E: also apparently the vicar, at 88.

Vicar reprised the role in the remake.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

Building is one I would put on a case by case basis. Like if you've taken someone's roof off or but their water etc then at least work until you've made it weather tight.

Yeah, it's tough. I subcontract for Clancy Docwra, who lay a huge amount of the new water mains on new developments. They also do a lot of the repair and maintenance of existing mains. Obviously the R+M stuff is still essential, but what about the new stuff that nobody's using yet? My work only relates to new mains, so if that's all called off we shut up shop until the sites reopen / the gangs are back out laying main, I guess. Kinda hoping for that tbh.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I mean John Laurie (Frazer) was born in the 19th century, it'd be terrifying if he wasn't dead

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Looks like us self employed might be a bit safer

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158216401728308&id=811788307

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Isomermaid posted:

Wasn't it a Mary Whitehouse Experience bit?

Yep, and it was wonderfully observed because that's what the olds do every single time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thespaceinvader posted:

If it was just the isolation I could probably handle it but the isolation coupled with the uncertainty of the situation, and the incredible irritation that I'd honestly made a lot of progress in the last 6 months and I was ready to go OUT and DO THINGS and whatnot and then... nope.

Plus feeling even more useless to the world than normal - I'd just got a job I felt was as useful as I could probably be in the current climate, and then this happens and that entire arm of the organisation is shut for the foreseeable future and I feel like a wastrel entering back data from last term's education rgisters when people are literally being left out in the cold because the loving building is closed.

None of this is your fault

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Boomers.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would very much like them.