Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, Angelo's not gonna stop thinking because people talk to him all the time.

Yo, Angelo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Out of all the hosed up things a main JoJo did to establish cred early, Josuke just straight-up transmuting a person into an entirely new, lower form of life so subhuman its Stand just fades away into the morning fog has never, and likely will never, be topped.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

did that thing with rohan ever come out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how you can totes see how each jojo cast member's morality is a natural extension of their environment, their situation, their upbringing, and their parentage (most notable with Josuke inheriting so much of Joseph's cunning and trickery and Giorno being such a combination of both Dio and Jonathan's personalities)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

psa, Yugo Kanno’s soundtracks are on Spotify in the US now

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

galagazombie posted:

You and I may think that, but as with the undead loophole, it's more often used in stories as an excuse to "kill" a villain and say the hero is still morally pure. Like putting Angelo in the rock was a whole "If you kill me you're just like me" thing. Though the whole "unable to die" thing was portrayed as pretty terrible for Kars and Diavolo, so I'm not really sure.

I think that's meant to be an unexpected twist on that concept. You know, "Okay, you're right, I won't kill you!" but instead Josuke does something that's much less merciful. Jotaro names his stand "Crazy Diamond" for a reason.

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how you can totes see how each jojo cast member's morality is a natural extension of their environment, their situation, their upbringing, and their parentage (most notable with Josuke inheriting so much of Joseph's cunning and trickery and Giorno being such a combination of both Dio and Jonathan's personalities)

Same, the details that show up when you pay attention are so juicy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Was the scene of Jotaro naming Josuke's Stand in the anime? I recall seeing it in the manga, but in the anime it just seemed like he just started going by Crazy Diamond suddenly.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOHN-Yr0mA

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

What a time to be alive

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I always say that trapping Engima's user in a book was rather excessive for a guy who hadn't killed anyone and was rather similar in motivation to how Rohan was when he was first introduced. Which doesn't mean Josuke was being out of character there; as people always point out when I point this out; Josuke gets really mad at people who threaten his mother.

The last time Josuke let a villain off easy for that his grandpa wound up dead.

It was pretty understandable at that point.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q-BTj7EUAk is this out yet why arent we talking about it am i going insane

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh poo poo, they're adapting the best Rohan side story?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1810648-doom

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

You are within range of my stand, 「RAINING BLOOD」!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You are within range of my stand, 「BFG DIVISION」!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

You are within range of my stand, 「NEW HORIZONS」!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Oh hey the new Rohan OVAs are out now. Neat!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, so I’m probably pretty late to the bandwagon at this point, but I finally started watching Part 3 on Netflix like a filthy casual (after watching part 1/2 years back) and it loving owns. I kinda assumed it would be overrated, and yeah insofar as nothing can live up to the hype created by being the most well-known part of one of the most influential series in shonen history, but it’s pretty drat great. I kind of just assumed with Jotaro at the helm the series would have less dumb humor but it doubled down because Jotaro is part of an ensemble cast of loving weirdos, while the fights are pretty great even knowing that no one dies until the end, which is pretty surprising itself.

I’m not quite done yet (at D’Arby the Younger) but unless the ending completely shits the bed (I know that things definitely don’t go very well for the cast but that’s not the same thing as badly written) I’m probably gonna go ahead and buy the super overpriced Part 4 set 1 Blu-ray.

Sorry if this should have gone in one of the general chat threads or something, I figured this thread doubled as general Jojo anime discussion

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, so I’m probably pretty late to the bandwagon at this point, but I finally started watching Part 3 on Netflix like a filthy casual (after watching part 1/2 years back) and it loving owns. I kinda assumed it would be overrated, and yeah insofar as nothing can live up to the hype created by being the most well-known part of one of the most influential series in shonen history, but it’s pretty drat great. I kind of just assumed with Jotaro at the helm the series would have less dumb humor but it doubled down because Jotaro is part of an ensemble cast of loving weirdos, while the fights are pretty great even knowing that no one dies until the end, which is pretty surprising itself.

I’m not quite done yet (at D’Arby the Younger) but unless the ending completely shits the bed (I know that things definitely don’t go very well for the cast but that’s not the same thing as badly written) I’m probably gonna go ahead and buy the super overpriced Part 4 set 1 Blu-ray.

Sorry if this should have gone in one of the general chat threads or something, I figured this thread doubled as general Jojo anime discussion

After you finish the TV series adaptation of part 3, you should absolutely check out the 1993-4 Part 3 OVAs (listed as ep 8-13 on this list https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JoJo%27s_Bizarre_Adventure_(1993_anime_series)), just to see how they adapt D'Arby and especially how they adapt the finale, which I honestly like in the OVA more than the new tv series.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Part 3 is definitely where I fell in love with the series. Jojos was always known as a super-weird over-the-top series, but ignoring a few moments from first two parts, it never really got there. Part 3 seemed like an edgy more punch-oriented affair, but somewhere around Strength you begin to realize that possibilities are endless, and it only gets stranger. The anime is definitely overhyped, but it's so, well, bizarre, that it never gets boring. Hard to act smug and disintirested with all the chaos happening just because you've heard that it's weird from other people.

The finale of Part 3 is probably my favorite arc in the series (frankly, everything after D'Arby gamer, which I think is one of the weaker "fights" is amazing!), so share your thoughts on that one!

Also since OVA was mentioned I'm gonna repost this here too

Vookatos posted:

Couldn't sleep today, so decided to check the 1993 OVA with my bf, and I was pleasantly surprised.
It's a bit more slow, but overall really sold.
I can see why people like some stuff from DIO's World way more! It's way better paced and at times better-looking. A shame that they went for more serious tone, so stuff like Jotaro in the sewers, Al Yancovich, DIO's insane-rear end lean back, skull heart, etc. were cut. His voice was also super weird! Still, it was nice to see a different interpretation of some of those scenes

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 16, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The car speeding away sound effect for The World's time stop was much better to me personally.

Plus they actually let Polnareff do something useful when he was worse than useless in the final fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, Polnareff stabbing DIO in the head actually saves Jotaro in the OVA rather than just be "Haha, nice try. Now Jotaro has to go back to faking being dead again, basically leaving this whole situation unchanged."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, Polnareff stabbing DIO in the head actually saves Jotaro in the OVA rather than just be "Haha, nice try. Now Jotaro has to go back to faking being dead again, basically leaving this whole situation unchanged."

It actually left Jotaro worse off because he had to draw DIO's attention to prevent Polnareff from getting completely splattered

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, I know that Stardust Crusade had crazy poo poo going down on the regular, but The Time Koichi Had a Lovesick Crush and Josuke and Okuyasu Made Everything SO Much Worse is pretty new for the series so far.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Part 4 has a ton of fun with the idea of people with psychic punchghost powers going about their daily lives and it's extremely good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Augus posted:

Part 4 has a ton of fun with the idea of people with psychic punchghost powers going about their daily lives and it's extremely good.

So does Part 5, if you think about it :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just telling the thread that Diavlo's english dub voice loving owns and I can't wait to see more of him dubbed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You are within range of my stand, 「 AT DOOM'S GATE 」!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I refuse to watch the dub of part 5 because they don’t have Italian accents

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I refuse to watch the dub of part 5 because they don’t have Italian accents

They kept all the needless italian words though, surely that has to count for something.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The solution here is to watch it in Italian if it ever gets an Italian dub

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember seeing a video that had Jotaro (Daisuke Ono) fighting with DIO (Patrick Seitz), and I wish that the whole series could be voiced like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riNofJSw8zA

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1McPiczNkGg

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
... Does DIO even understand Japanese? Is he at any point directly responding to what Jotaro's saying or is he just monologuing? Does he even know what Jotaro's beef is?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

YggiDee posted:

... Does DIO even understand Japanese? Is he at any point directly responding to what Jotaro's saying or is he just monologuing? Does he even know what Jotaro's beef is?
I think Stands let you communicate telepathically with each other, which is presumably what most of the crew is doing throughout, because I am drat sure they wouldn't naturally have a common language. It doesn't come up much in part 4 or 5 because everyone speaks Japanese or Italian.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wrong thread

Sorta

Mostly wanted a reason to finally post that gif though

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

I think Stands let you communicate telepathically with each other, which is presumably what most of the crew is doing throughout, because I am drat sure they wouldn't naturally have a common language. It doesn't come up much in part 4 or 5 because everyone speaks Japanese or Italian.

I watched a YOUTUBE VIDEO that stated they'd probably all be speaking English as a common language

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/asikoh009/status/1252522650401771522

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm so happy we could see Okuyasu again.
Actually, I'm glad they're doing Rohan OVAs the way they do, because it means we're going to see terrifying chimeras of Part 4 characters in different artstyles. Part 7 Koichi let's go.
"That Man" with elf ears for Part 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao7RQj8sxuo