Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

No we just got into DEN last night but I think I’m just gonna bite the bullet and call it all off.

My friend traveling with me is acting kind of pissy but I can’t get him to actually research or plan anything. I feel like he’s keeping his head in the sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've got a project scheduled in SW CO late April. Far enough out I'm in the "wait and see" mode.

Client calls from Vegas this morning. I'm shoveling snow so maybe a bit grumpy. "Yeah man, we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out."

"NO! You committed to this, we have to get it done by X date. No reason not to travel. Hotels should be perfectly fine. I'm sure you can get food somewhere."

"How're things down in Vegas?"

*crickets*

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Dangerllama posted:

This is the hiking and backpacking thread. Is there foliage nearby?
Apologies for my lovely post.

Indeed there was plenty of snow falling Saturday, so Sunday was very nice. Very good hiking weather, 27F at the top, but hiking buddy was tired and cold and "not feeling it". I figure the mountaineering boots were heavier than he remembered, but he did acknowledge that his feet weren't cold.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

No we just got into DEN last night but I think I’m just gonna bite the bullet and call it all off.

My friend traveling with me is acting kind of pissy but I can’t get him to actually research or plan anything. I feel like he’s keeping his head in the sand.

I ended up deciding to go home ONE day early so I could get home at a better time to actually get some supplies and get inside.

Denver is a ghost town anyways and anything my friend wanted to do isn’t happening but he’s being a huge heel. I’m even paying for the last day of Airbnb myself because I’m the one calling it off.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Your friend sounds like quite the poo poo-heel. You did the right thing. Good on ya.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: neeeevermind.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 18, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

on a positive note, everyone reading this thread is probably head and shoulders above most folks in terms of preparation for what is upon us.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
And hiking alone is practicing good social distancing.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And hiking alone is practicing good social distancing.
I keep telling the thread that solo hiking is safer than a big drunken group. :gooncamp:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I'm bummed. I just had an early termination from the peace corps because of corona, got my severance, and am unemployed and have nothing on my plate until august.

figured now's the perfect time to fulfill my dream and hike the Appalachian trail but it seems like they're totally closing it down (or at least encouraging people not to hike it). would the thread consensus be to basically just give that up for this year? i've read that some people are just saying gently caress it and heading out on the trail anyway. if it's any consolation, i very much enjoy so(cial distance)lo hiking and am more than happy to camp basically 100% of the time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Being on the AT would probably be fine, but good luck resupplying.

Don't do it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hike it man. It'll be empty and awesome.

Resupply should be fine. I can't imagine the demand for rural grocery will be nuts like it has been in the cities.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There are already parts of Colorado closing off the CD trail and the rest of their towns to outsiders to protect the population.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

There are already parts of Colorado closing off the CD trail and the rest of their towns to outsiders to protect the population.

Yea I guess I didn't think the ATC would close actual trails but welp

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/appalachian-trail-conservancy-urges-thru-hikers-postpone-hikes/?ref=slider

Hard mode activate!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

on the one hand, slamming beers and toking up with a bunch of strangers around a fire in the middle of the woods is one of the best things about camping, so it sucks that kind of poo poo isn't possible these days.

on the other hand, this would represent a really cool, unique type of challenge. it is also an enticing prospect to meet the kind of hardcore hikers who aren't concerned about reliable support systems, spending time with other people, and viruses that kill olds and fun before embarking on a 4-6 month hike through the wilderness.

i am not yet defeated, but i am conflicted.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

There are plenty of places to go hike for long periods of time that aren’t the AT

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That could be a great plot to a bad movie.

Terminus
Guy goes on a thru hike of the pct during the ramp up if a pandemic. As the weeks and months go by, the virus keeps getting worse as he hits his resupplies. Eventually he gets to Canada only to realize the world is turning to poo poo and going crazy.

I would watch it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hike it man. It'll be empty and awesome.

Resupply should be fine. I can't imagine the demand for rural grocery will be nuts like it has been in the cities.

Rural communities here are limiting purchases to locals.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
If I were in your position I'd hit up some crown land in northern Ontario with my canoe and as many supplies as I could carry. See how long I could stretch the trip fishing.
Whenever I'm on a trip and the bite is on, I always wonder how long I could keep it going. If the bite weren't on it might be just a normal camping trip though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also the people ignoring all the warnings and requests and ordinances to stay off the trails aren’t “badass tough rogue types” they’re assholes at best and you don’t want to be around them. At worst, you’re looking at something like what happened last year because those are the types that will still be out there.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Also the people ignoring all the warnings and requests and ordinances to stay off the trails aren’t “badass tough rogue types” they’re assholes at best and you don’t want to be around them. At worst, you’re looking at something like what happened last year because those are the types that will still be out there.

I’m out of the loop, what happened last year?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I’m out of the loop, what happened last year?

https://www.nytimes.com./2019/05/13/us/appalachian-trail-hikers-murder-.html

quote:

Mr. Jordan had been known to hikers and law enforcement agencies whose jurisdictions stretch along the trail since April, when he was accused of threatening people on the trail in Unicoi County, Tenn., the arrest affidavit said. Hikers shared photographs and descriptions of him on social media after he waved a knife and an ax at a shelter, Mr. King said.

On Friday, on a portion of the trail that veers into Smyth County in southwest Virginia, Mr. Jordan approached four hikers and acted “disturbed and unstable,” playing his guitar and singing, the affidavit said.

The four hikers moved on, and later set up camp along a portion of trail that veers into neighboring Wythe County, but Mr. Jordan caught up with them, “spoke to the hikers through their tents, and threatened to pour gasoline on their tents and burn them to death,” the affidavit said.

The group packed up. But as they tried to leave, Mr. Jordan approached them with a long knife, it said. Two of the hikers escaped, with Mr. Jordan in pursuit, according to the affidavit. He returned to the campsite and began arguing with another hiker, fatally stabbing him in the upper part of his body, it said.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmao its a far loving stretch that people who hike this year are trending more towards murderer than not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

lmao its a far loving stretch that people who hike this year are trending more towards murderer than not.

quote:

they’re assholes at best and you don’t want to be around them. At worst, you’re looking at something like what happened last year

People looking to cause trouble are more likely to still be out on closed trails than normal decent hikers and that's common sense. lovely hikers are also more likely to ignore closures and do selfish dumb things. In general, less people out there would be less safe as a whole anyways given the circumstances, there's a lot of comfort and security in the trial community.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 23, 2020

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
If the ATC said don't hike the trail, don't be stupid and listen to them. Have you been tested for coronavirus? Well then don't go into rural towns spreading your poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The other thing would be if something happens and you get lost or injured during this ... You are very low on the totem pole of priority of care. If you get lost, you will be forcing search and rescue folks to come get you when maybe they could be doing other more important stuff. They also might not be as active.

Honestly, while I get where you're coming from, now might not be the best time to do a giant thru hike through multiple states. The trail will always be there.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
One of our popular local hiking mountains had SIX search and rescue cases this weekend including three separate people or parties caught out without lights as it got dark. The dumbest poo poo imaginable! I understand that not everybody is experienced in the outdoors and not to be elitist and etc but those people are absolute morons who have no place going out to hike, especially now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be doing all kinds of day hikes (well, strolls really, there's not much "hiking" in the midwest) right now if everything wasn't sealed up so drat tight. Being solo in nature would be good mental recovery right now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

I'd be doing all kinds of day hikes (well, strolls really, there's not much "hiking" in the midwest) right now if everything wasn't sealed up so drat tight. Being solo in nature would be good mental recovery right now.

We went out yesterday and the first trailhead we tried was so packed that we just turned around and left... barely made it through the parking loop because people were just pulled over on both sides of the pavement leaving almost no traffic path. The second one was also unusually full but we found a place to park and got a nice 3 mile loop in. The governor of NM is expected to announce more serious lockdown orders in about 10 minutes, so that may be the last opportunity for a while.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I hope my local state parks stay open. Wisconsin shuts down tomorrow. I've been wanting to go hiking this past week but I hate the cold and I don't hike when it's 28F. It should finally start to get warm this week. 40s.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They shut down all camping on Washington State land. State parks obviously closed but they want no more camping on DNR or DFW land either. I'm so bummed because I've been planning a late April weeklong trip for the past two months, just spent several hours Sunday morning working on route options and buying maps (we're talking route finding, on-the-ground compass work necessary)... only to find that they announced this Sunday (of all days).

One hundred thousand acres isn't good enough social distance? :cry:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not when one hundred thousand people get the same idea because they're not working and have nothing else to do!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BLM lands are still okay, though that was last week I looked it up and poo poo changes daily. I would avoid campgrounds though!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok this doesn't look too bad. I really wanted to go camping as soon as it warmed up though. The state shutdown was announced today though so I don't know if they're going to update this.

State Parks And Trails
-Wisconsin state parks and trails are open to the public
-Buildings are closed except for some restrooms
-Admission to state parks and trails is voluntary via self-registration or kiosks
-All public events are canceled
-All campgrounds are closed through April 30, 2020
-No new reservations until further notice
-Visitors are reminded to practice proper personal hygiene to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to limit group sizes to under ten people when enjoying state properties.
-Park users will see DNR parks, law enforcement and property staff, ensuring everyone’s safety as they enjoy the outdoors; and, to ensure social distancing guidelines of no gatherings larger
than 10 individuals are being practiced for everyone’s health.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Moab, Utah has said it will stop welcoming non-residents just as the tourism season is starting. That's basically 100% of their economy.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All this talk of fewer people or resources sounds like a plus to me. Also I know that people have gotten lost on the AT before but it's really hard to do that. You do not need a map. You follow a path with the white blazes the entire way up. If you have a phone you can get back on the trail.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes, in an ideal world you could have the entire AT to yourself and also no global pandemic wrecking the health and economy of these small communities.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

You can still go to these places (until we all get aggressively quarantined lol), just don't be a douchebag and depend on local shops, lodging etc. Bring your own food & supplies, sleep in your car or in dispersed camping, stick to trails/routes without many people, and stick to easy or non-technical stuff where you aren't gonna get injured. And if you do get in trouble, either rescue yourself, or be courteous enough to die without calling anyone--preferably either someplace convenient enough to make body recovery simple, or someplace hopeless enough they won't even try.

Like, now is not the time to go on a ~vacation~ as such, but it's a great time to just gently caress off into the wilderness without bothering anyone. Certainly it has helped keep me sane after 5 weeks of isolating.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The problem is people gently caress off to well known, easily accessible areas where they are coming into close contact with people.
Huffing and puffing as you squeeze past someone on a trail is not social distancing no matter how brief the interaction. Half the idiots you will see there think they are invincible and have been running along a sea wall or beach in the last week.
Don't loving go to any trail network. If you do, make sure it's not so dense or technical that you can't avoid the assholes. You should also be prepared to leave if it's too crowded

When I was talking about, it I meant the type of camping where you park on the side of a dirt road, bushwack a few hundred meters to a lake and throw your canoe/kayak in the water. Even then you might see some people but you should be able to clear the portage and wait

Math You fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think it's a bad idea and irresponsible to go hiking on one of the most popular trails in the country/world. Everyone is going to have the idea that no one will be on it due to the social distancing suggestion. I bet a bunch of people on those crowded beaches in Florida thought they were being smart and the beaches would be empty and we saw how that went.

I think that going camping/hiking on a lower traffic or local trail is your best bet. I almost never see anyone on the trails at the nearest area near me. (Bong Recreation Area, heh). And if it's too crowded you can just pack up and go home.

I don't know. A lot of people aren't taking this seriously, myself included, and that's going to make this far worse.