Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hadlock posted:

Apple just released a new set of laptops today, including a new $999 macbook air - I would look very closely at this

Oh my, I came here to look into getting a cheap refurb Thinkpad while waiting for the new MBP 13, but this is super tempting. Just not sure about those CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wheeee posted:

Oh my, I came here to look into getting a cheap refurb Thinkpad while waiting for the new MBP 13, but this is super tempting. Just not sure about those CPUs.

$899 edu discount ...

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bob Morales posted:

$899 edu discount ...

Alas, :canada:

Still, a new Macbook with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for under $2k?

Tempted

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MacBook Air is a stellar laptop

The only reason it doesn't get recommended here more is because if you wanted Apple, you would have gone to the Apple hardware thread

Older cheaper good screen laptops are like, XPS 13/15 from 2016 forward.

CPUs have not changed a lot since 2016, really since 2014, so if you can swap in a newer battery it's basically a brand new laptop

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Helios 300 revision this year is...

The same thing, but with a 1TB HDD added.

If you're going to charge that much for 1TB for that with all the reliability problems, why not make it an SSD?
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-9750H-Keyboard-Wireless/dp/B084FGCC9N/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it a good time to get a new 15 inch gaming laptop. After 5 years my Lenovo Y50 has hinge and frame problems.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Arglebargle III posted:

Is it a good time to get a new 15 inch gaming laptop. After 5 years my Lenovo Y50 has hinge and frame problems.

It’s a recession and there’s supply crunches, so genuinely now is the best time.

The Lenovo legion 15in is the best bang for the buck I’ve seen in this current generation. And you can’t go wrong with the warranty support.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Now is *not* the best time, it would be the best time if it were a recession, there were no supply chain problems, and it were around November/December, when the new silicon has landed.

It's as okay a time as any.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Hey thread,
So I'm thinking about asking work to get me a new laptop this year.
My budget is 99999 JPY, about 900-1000 USD.
I can technically go over that, but then it becomes property of my office rather than mine.
I have a gaming machine at home so I am leaning towards a ThinkPad (I owned an x230 back in university and loved it).
What's the current word on the T495?
I thought I read something about the Ryzen chips performing poorly depending on how the manufacturer set it up.

I've looked at the configurations possible in Japan and I could do a T495, an x395 or x390, or cheap out with the lower models like the E series.

The most important things to me are the keyboard, screen, and upgradablity. I'm planning to save as much as possible on RAM and storage and upgrade them myself after purchase.
It seems like some modern ThinkPads only have soldered ram now?
Thanks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Hey thread,
So I'm thinking about asking work to get me a new laptop this year.
My budget is 99999 JPY, about 900-1000 USD.
I can technically go over that, but then it becomes property of my office rather than mine.
I have a gaming machine at home so I am leaning towards a ThinkPad (I owned an x230 back in university and loved it).
What's the current word on the T495?
I thought I read something about the Ryzen chips performing poorly depending on how the manufacturer set it up.

I've looked at the configurations possible in Japan and I could do a T495, an x395 or x390, or cheap out with the lower models like the E series.

The most important things to me are the keyboard, screen, and upgradablity. I'm planning to save as much as possible on RAM and storage and upgrade them myself after purchase.
It seems like some modern ThinkPads only have soldered ram now?
Thanks.

I'll leave the specific model recommendations to others to provide, but I can answer a few questions, and in general yes, the business Thinkpad models are still highly recommended.

The Ryzen mobile CPUs are perfectly capable, but Intel has still had an edge in terms of performance and power efficiency (and thus battery life.) That may change with the upcoming 4000 series APUs, but current events may delay their deployment. The only issue I had with a low-end APU (I think it's the 3200U) was that it reserves a large chunk of RAM (up to 2 GB) and isn't user-configurable, but this would be less of an issue with a larger total amount of RAM to work with, and this parameter may be adjustable on a higher-end system with a different board & BIOS.

More portable systems tend to come with soldered, non-user-replaceable RAM (or in some cases, that plus a single DIMM slot, or just the latter) but once you've narrowed your selection down to specific models then you can pretty easily do the research to figure out how each laptop is constructed.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Errr, hey guys!

So, I have had the following laptop for just about the last 5 years, and it's frankly served me pretty goddamn well:

Alienware 15 R2 -- Intel Core i7-6700QM -- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 6GB GDDR5 -- 128GB SSD + 1GB 7200RPM HDD -- 8GB RAM (2x4GB) DDR3 -- 15,6" IPS display 1920x1080p (LGD04B9)

Sp that's more or less the machine I've had for, well... A very long time, now. I gotta say that it was also the longest-lasting laptop I ever had, with the best build quality, the fewest bugs, no hardware malfunctions, no repetitive problems, no laptop inevitably breaking down in 18-24 months. The latter had happened with my prior Asus and Clevo laptops, neither of which were anywhere near as reliable or durable or bug-free or functional as I had hoped or been led to believe. I am *certainly* never dealing with xoticpc again, not after what I went through in like ~2012 with the *disastrously* awful Clevo I got from them.

So basically, when I needed a laptop again in 2015, my perspective was to have nothing to do with Asus, MSI, or Clevo - all of which seemed to be inconsistent in quality and I was very mistrustful of any third-party vendor at this point. The one *good* laptop purchase I had made was the Alienware M11x R3 I had gotten back in 2011, the 11-inch 'ultraportable' AW that everyone in every class I ever took it to thought it was the most adorable little laptop ever. I used it as my main machine for way too long, given that it was frankly a strong little machine that could still play tons of games with its GT 540m, particularly since it wasn't even 1080p but 768p, I believe. I *still* have that M11x, and it still works just fine. The Alienware 15 R2 that I bought in late 2015 (I think it was an R2) has also worked very well, despite literally runnning for the better part of the last 5 years with scant sleep and hibernation breaks. Actually, it's not running so great anymore, and there is some issue with the GPU, among perhaps a couple other things. It is blue-screening way, way too often. And the specs are not really good enough, anymore, sadly, to do what I want to do - such as being able to keep up with VR games, which it cannot really do right now, even.

So, based on the fact that the build quality and lifetime of Alienware machines has far outpaced its competitors, at least in my personal experience, I decided that I should stick with AW for my new laptop. But I looked on the site, and to my *great* initial display I was shocked, and a little flabbergasted to see that even fuckin' *Alienware* was making laptops that were as skinny and as portable as possible. Even the Alienware 17 update was extremely focused on weight, width, portability... I was feeling pretty goddamn let down. I have always loved the big laptops - the Desktop Replacement laptop! I'm not the kinda guy who wants to bring his computer *everywhere* with me; I've never truly felt that way. When I go out, the last thing I wanna do is stare at a screen! poo poo, my phone is more than enough. But by the same token, I loathe desktop computers, and I hate being stuck in a chair with a tower staring at a monitor, nowhere to go... I grew up with a desktop computer in my room, and it never ceased to drive me fuckin' crazy that I had to be OUT OF BED and sitting UP in a chair to use the internet, especially when my bed was a foot and a half away. I wanted a laptop so badly for years and years...

So yeah, I love my laptop, and I love being able to use it all over the home. That's an important luxury, for me - and as I said, I have always loved the big, bulky, powerful gaming laptops. As you might have figured, I found the Area-51M laptop, and that seemed to suit my needs ideally. But it is a bit expensive.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get it when there's a good deal, maybe directly from Dell as my last two long-lasting AW laptops came that way. I could still sell he 15 R2, I think, it looks wonderful and runs well. Only issue is the crappy panel, but that's a biggie to me. The Area-51M just looks really perfect. I know Asus and MSI and Clevo (probably others too) have big bulky laptops with the same desktop processors at marginally lower prices, but that ain't really the point, to me. I hesitate to call it brand loyalty, but I just feel WAY less likely to get ripped off or screwed and have to replace it inevitable months after the warranty runs out. I suppose I trust AW to not gently caress me over.... Yikes

kaworu fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 24, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yeah, I used AW15 R1 until last year too when I sold it off in very good condition. The build quality was really impressive, pmuch business class like, and it looked way better than the competition at the time.
I'm also not sure about the quality of the newer AW not-Area51 laptops. I read that cooling had gotten a slight downgrade, or the paste job was poor, but that was for the first couple slimmed revisions. Don't know about the newest versions and I'm also curious.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

If it's possible, I'd recommend waiting another month or so (maybe 2 or 3 depending on how supply networks recover) for the new ryzen 4xxx laptops.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

kaworu posted:

Big laptop stuff

I mean it seems to me like you're basically the ideal candidate for gaming desktop + laptop unless you're actually playing games in bed...

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it! Talked a sales rep into giving me the 17% discount that they had going a couple weeks ago. I'm feeling pretty drat happy with my purchase. I'm still looking at reviews for the Area 51M and they're all sort of... frighteningly positive!

I can't believe how much more powerful this thing is going to be. It has a *desktop* processor, the i7-9700k which is an 8-core chip *without* multi-threading, but apparently it's so good and runs so cool that with OC some folks seem to prefer it to the i9 processors. I went for the RTX 2070 GPU, which seems like it's going to knock my socks of - should also be able to easily OC that too. Ray-tracing sounds cool. This thing can easily run VR at max settings, too, which is very exciting to think about.

Given that I'm locked up inside for the most part for god knows how much longer, this seems like a good purchase to make. Hell, I'm just lucky that I am able to buy something like this for myself once or twice a decade :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kaworu posted:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it! Talked a sales rep into giving me the 17% discount that they had going a couple weeks ago. I'm feeling pretty drat happy with my purchase. I'm still looking at reviews for the Area 51M and they're all sort of... frighteningly positive!

I can't believe how much more powerful this thing is going to be. It has a *desktop* processor, the i7-9700k which is an 8-core chip *without* multi-threading, but apparently it's so good and runs so cool that with OC some folks seem to prefer it to the i9 processors. I went for the RTX 2070 GPU, which seems like it's going to knock my socks of - should also be able to easily OC that too. Ray-tracing sounds cool. This thing can easily run VR at max settings, too, which is very exciting to think about.

Given that I'm locked up inside for the most part for god knows how much longer, this seems like a good purchase to make. Hell, I'm just lucky that I am able to buy something like this for myself once or twice a decade :)

I'd actually be more interested in undervolting that processor for laptop use but I suppose just throttling in the power settings does a similar thing.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I'd actually be more interested in undervolting that processor for laptop use but I suppose just throttling in the power settings does a similar thing.

Really? Why is that? I have to make a confession here, which is that even though I do have... SOME degree of technical knowledge regarding computers (laptops specifically) I am not that clever when it comes to working with the hardware, and frankly I have little to no experience overclocking or undervolting processors or GPUs. I used to work in a retail store that sold laptops, and since everyone else on the floor knew far less about them than I even did, that's where I usually was stationed. So, I amassed some degree of practical knowledge regarding all the different laptop "makes" and "models" - which companies had good reputations for using high-quality display panels or well-made chassis, knowing what ones actual needs and expectations are for a laptop and finding the right range of models/price-points so they don't overspend on power they don't need, or to make sure they get the level of performance they need. This was a while ago, but it was a pretty neat job while it lasted. I think part of the reason I got fired was that I was a bit too honest when we didn't have what someone needed, hah. That was literally ~10 years ago, man.

So anyway, I think I might actually need some help getting my CPU and GPU set up optimally. Here's how I spec'd the laptop overall:

Alienware Area 51M

Chassis -- 'Dark Side of the Moon' (black)
CPU -- 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9700K (desktop model)
GPU -- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
SSD Storage -- 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD (Samsung I think?)
Memory -- 16GB RAM (2x 8GB) DDR4 at 2400MHz
Display Panel -- 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz, IPS, NVIDIA G-SYNC, 'Eyesafe' Display Tech + Tobii Eyetracking
Network Card -- Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2)

All of these parts you are able to upgrade, including the CPU and GPU - that's what makes this special. From what I am told, if I had gotten, say, the i9-9900k as well as the RTX 2080 (rather than being one 'notch' down from each as I am now) apparently the laptop would run quite a bit more hot, which I certainly believe. I like the idea of having cooling to spare.

Anyway, I am feeling good about the components. Aside from the GPU and CPU, I didn't want to splurge for additional RAM or SSDs/HDDs, because Dell has a pretty exorbitant mark-up and I'd much rather just upgrade those on my own, as I can get much better quality RAM and SSDs on my own, and installing them is pretty darn simple on any Alienware - even for me. There's quite a bit of room for upgrades, actually! There are two m.2 slots and one 2.5-inch hard drive bay. There's also room for *four* SO-DIMMs, which is a bit excessive for me but cool, nevertheless. The RAM they pre-load it with is apparently not-so-fantastic and worth replacing.

So yeah, anyway... A bit of info on how to overclock/undervolt would be good. I know you have to go into the BIOS to adjust the CPU, but I know little beyond that - like to what degree I want to change things - obviously you don't want to go fiddling around with BIOS settings unless you know precisely what you're doing. Do people overclock their GPU? And if so, is that also done in the BIOS or do you need some sort of support software in the driver? This is gonna be truly fun.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

kaworu posted:

Really? Why is that? I have to make a confession here, which is that even though I do have... SOME degree of technical knowledge regarding computers (laptops specifically) I am not that clever when it comes to working with the hardware, and frankly I have little to no experience overclocking or undervolting processors or GPUs. I used to work in a retail store that sold laptops, and since everyone else on the floor knew far less about them than I even did, that's where I usually was stationed. So, I amassed some degree of practical knowledge regarding all the different laptop "makes" and "models" - which companies had good reputations for using high-quality display panels or well-made chassis, knowing what ones actual needs and expectations are for a laptop and finding the right range of models/price-points so they don't overspend on power they don't need, or to make sure they get the level of performance they need. This was a while ago, but it was a pretty neat job while it lasted. I think part of the reason I got fired was that I was a bit too honest when we didn't have what someone needed, hah. That was literally ~10 years ago, man.

So anyway, I think I might actually need some help getting my CPU and GPU set up optimally. Here's how I spec'd the laptop overall:

Alienware Area 51M

Display Panel -- 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz, IPS, NVIDIA G-SYNC, 'Eyesafe' Display Tech + Tobii Eyetracking

All of these parts you are able to upgrade, including the CPU and GPU - that's what makes this special. From what I am told, if I had gotten, say, the i9-9900k as well as the RTX 2080 (rather than being one 'notch' down from each as I am now) apparently the laptop would run quite a bit more hot, which I certainly believe. I like the idea of having cooling to spare.

Anyway, I am feeling good about the components. Aside from the GPU and CPU, I didn't want to splurge for additional RAM or SSDs/HDDs, because Dell has a pretty exorbitant mark-up and I'd much rather just upgrade those on my own, as I can get much better quality RAM and SSDs on my own, and installing them is pretty darn simple on any Alienware - even for me. There's quite a bit of room for upgrades, actually! There are two m.2 slots and one 2.5-inch hard drive bay. There's also room for *four* SO-DIMMs, which is a bit excessive for me but cool, nevertheless. The RAM they pre-load it with is apparently not-so-fantastic and worth replacing.

So yeah, anyway... A bit of info on how to overclock/undervolt would be good. I know you have to go into the BIOS to adjust the CPU, but I know little beyond that - like to what degree I want to change things - obviously you don't want to go fiddling around with BIOS settings unless you know precisely what you're doing. Do people overclock their GPU? And if so, is that also done in the BIOS or do you need some sort of support software in the driver? This is gonna be truly fun.

Undervolt with throttlestop. Overclock is in the bios, but youll get way more mileage with undervolting (ocd stuff will throttle) can you post some side by side pics with your 15r2?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Hopefully an easy one... What’s the go to laptop at under £500 for general web browsing, personal admin and light home office use? Wont be used for games or media, screen around 14-15” preferably.

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 24, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kaworu posted:

Alienware Area 51M

To add to what Greasyhands said, yes the GPU overclocking is in software, you want MSI Afterburner. GPU overclocking is extremely safe with the software, you literally can't cause damage by overvolting or anything. Check out the overclocking thread for more info.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hey does anyone here have a spare Acer Aspire 5742 charger they don't need, mine just died and unfortunately I can't just get one off Amazon right now cause due to Corona they wouldn't be able to send anything of that sort out until the end of April

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask that kind of thing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KM Scorchio posted:

Hopefully an easy one... What’s the go to laptop at under £500 for general web browsing, personal admin and light home office use? Wont be used for games or media, screen around 14-15” preferably.

Probably a Chromebook. The HP X360 14" 2 in 1 has great reviews and has a touch screen. It has better build quality than any $500 laptop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Hey does anyone here have a spare Acer Aspire 5742 charger they don't need, mine just died and unfortunately I can't just get one off Amazon right now cause due to Corona they wouldn't be able to send anything of that sort out until the end of April

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask that kind of thing

I have a box of Acer chargers at work. Do you know the Voltage and Amperage of the charger?

Edit: Found one, if you wanna pay for shipping I can send it to you gratis.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 26, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This laptop is back in stock for $612 (price updated after adding to cart)

FCKGW posted:

Walmart/ refurbished laptops on sale on eBay via VIP outlet. Take an additional 15% off the listed price.
VIP Outlet is a big refurbisher and all laptops have a 90 day return policy.

Overpowered 15" gaming laptop for $590
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113852696233

15.6 144Hz Screen
Intel i7-8750H CPU with 2.20 GHz speed
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB VRAM
Mechanical RGB LED Keyboard
16GB RAM with 2667 MHz speed
1TB HDD
256GB SSD
Windows 10
1080p/ 144Hz Display Panel
1x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB C
1x SD Card Slot
1x HDMI Slot

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Wow. That is a pretty dope setup for $600, I mean, poo poo. A GTX 1060 is nothing to sneeze at, for a long time it was like the standard for what a high-end GPU needs to be. Like, I just picked a popular shooter - Borderlands 3 - and the GTX 1060 6GB is literally the *recommended* GPU in the specs for that game. I mean, that is HARDLY an out of date laptop...

I can't believe how cheap it is - truly. I mean the *discount* that I got for my monstrous A51m was a bigger sum than the cost of that entire laptop :stare:

And yeah, I am very deeply impressed with this machine. Deeply impressed. I need to use it more and formulate my thoughts, but for the most part it is frankly exceeding my expectations by quite a bit. The keyboard is way nicer, the RGB lighting is far more well done than I expected or than on previous Alienware machines. The display panel *blew me away* as it turned out to be nicer and better than the one I was expecting - this is the sharpest, brightest, most color-accurate machine I've ever used, and G-SYNC is a loving GODSEND while playing full screen shooters and such. I had no idea.

Oh, and the Tobii eye-tracking is both really awesome and uh, kinda creepy too... Last night, for instance, I was on my phone and texting, and the screen on my laptop had gone dim after a minute of me not using it. Without moving a muscle, I *just* flicked my eyes over to the screen to look at it, and half a second after I'd flicked my eyes over, it just lit RIGHT BACK UP as if I had just moved the mouse. I was both highly amused and deeply terrified by this, but we'll see how it goes :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kaworu posted:

Oh, and the Tobii eye-tracking is both really awesome and uh, kinda creepy too... Last night, for instance, I was on my phone and texting, and the screen on my laptop had gone dim after a minute of me not using it. Without moving a muscle, I *just* flicked my eyes over to the screen to look at it, and half a second after I'd flicked my eyes over, it just lit RIGHT BACK UP as if I had just moved the mouse. I was both highly amused and deeply terrified by this, but we'll see how it goes :)

I work with a patient with ALS that is unable to move anything but his eyes and with Tobii + a surface tablet he can basically talk through it. Pretty cool.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Howdy folks. Friend of mine was lookin to spend around 800euros on a new laptop.

She's not a big gamer or anything, but does some video editing and photoshop etc for work.

Got any recommendations? She loved her thinkpad but that thing is getting way old

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FCKGW posted:

I have a box of Acer chargers at work. Do you know the Voltage and Amperage of the charger?

Edit: Found one, if you wanna pay for shipping I can send it to you gratis.

That would be great, sent you a PM with my shipping info

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably a Chromebook. The HP X360 14" 2 in 1 has great reviews and has a touch screen. It has better build quality than any $500 laptop.

Thanks, will take a look.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I have a strange request, what is the cheapest laptop that can play the nancy drew games like this one here:
https://www.herinteractive.com/shop-games/nancy-drew-secrets-can-kill-remastered/

All the digital download reviews on amazon are bad, because they don't run on newer computers. Can I buy a cheap one and "spoof" it to run like an old one, or do I actually need to find an old tank to get these going?
Here are the requirements from the website:

quote:

Windows Minimum System Requirements:

1 GHz or greater Pentium or equivalent class CPU
256 MB of RAM
1 GB or more of hard drive space
32 MB DirectX 9.0 compatible video card
16 bit DirectX compatible sound card
24X CD-ROM drive
Mouse and speakers

Mac Minimum System Requirements:

Intel processor
512 MB RAM
1.1 GB or more hard drive space
Intel GMA 950, ATI X1600, NVIDIA 7300 graphics card or better
Keyboard and mouse
Internet connection the first time the game is launched
This game will NOT run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems (PowerMac)
NOTE: Will not run on Mojave or Catalina.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would look into running them on an emulator like virtualbox ( free) or VMware fusion

VMware fusion has really good PC gaming support

Also also, check out wine, it has great support for classic windows games on Linus, almost alarmingly good

I would probably look at the retro gaming threads before buying hardware

That said, check out maybe buying a Thinkpad T410, XP should install beautifully on it, plus it's got a reasonably modern cpu to run other things in a couple of years still. Should be able to buy one for $100

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

The Asus Zephyrus G14 is finally up on Best Buy. I wonder if it's coming out at the end of the month.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
My HP Omen 15's AC adapter just poo poo the bed out of nowhere. I've had it about a year, no problems, and today it just died while I was playing Doom. I thought maybe it had overheated, nope, it's cold now and still nothing. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? I have a 2 year warranty, would it be covered?

Unless there's a solution I can do myself, it's a moot point seeing as businesses have been forced to close here, including the HP service center. Working from home is gonna be a total joy on my phone :allears:

I live in Vietnam so US-based shipping services are not a solution, unfortunately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Samfucius posted:

My HP Omen 15's AC adapter just poo poo the bed out of nowhere. I've had it about a year, no problems, and today it just died while I was playing Doom. I thought maybe it had overheated, nope, it's cold now and still nothing. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? I have a 2 year warranty, would it be covered?

Unless there's a solution I can do myself, it's a moot point seeing as businesses have been forced to close here, including the HP service center. Working from home is gonna be a total joy on my phone :allears:

I live in Vietnam so US-based shipping services are not a solution, unfortunately.

I don't know how to fix your issue but A/C adapters would absolutely be covered by the warranty. I'm guessing the mail-in service depots are still open, I would give them a call.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

space marine todd posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

The Asus Zephyrus G14 is finally up on Best Buy. I wonder if it's coming out at the end of the month.

I don't see refresh rate listed so I'm guessing this is the 60hz model. That puts pricing about where expected but slightly higher than I would have hoped.

The processor is listed as the 4900HS rather than 4800HS. Typo or special model?

I'm going to guess NDA goes down on Monday or Tuesday (just not April 1st) with shipments two weeks later. Dave2d has one and said the review was coming very soon.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 29, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The processor is listed as the 4900HS rather than 4800HS. Typo or special model?

It’s a higher binned 4800 with +100MHz base and +200MHz boost at the same TDP.
I distinctly remember one Asus slide showing a 4900 during the Renoir launch but that was the only place this number ever mentioned, so people assumed it was a typo. Now we know that it wasn’t.
I would assume the yields were too low then and they needed some time for the process to mature.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

eames posted:

It’s a higher binned 4800 with +100MHz base and +200MHz boost at the same TDP.
I distinctly remember one Asus slide showing a 4900 during the Renoir launch but that was the only place this number ever mentioned, so people assumed it was a typo. Now we know that it wasn’t.
I would assume the yields were too low then and they needed some time for the process to mature.

It's just weird because if you go to Asus's site, the only processor they have listed for the official specs of the G14 is the 4800HS. So either Best Buy's site has a typo or Asus's official listing for the product on their site has a typo.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Bob of all Trades with a 4800H laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee7cOygsUis

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The display sounds like a real bummer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

I don't see refresh rate listed so I'm guessing this is the 60hz model. That puts pricing about where expected but slightly higher than I would have hoped.

I'm going to guess NDA goes down on Monday or Tuesday (just not April 1st) with shipments two weeks later. Dave2d has one and said the review was coming very soon.

drat, fingers crossed about the refresh rate. I'm super interested about the battery life with the Ryzen.