Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Tell me about flowers and their subsequent effect on bug availability. I only have white, red, and orange flowers - do I need to scum islands until I get others for a full museum eventually? Something about a peacock butterfly only spawning on colors I don't have? Will the Nooklings sell different colors every day cause they sure haven't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Dr.D-O posted:

Can someone elevator pitch me on this game?

I like sim games (e.g., sim city, cities skylines, frostpunk), but this doesn't seem very similar to those.

From an outsiders' perspective, this game seems like a chore simulator. But, y'all seem really into it. So I'm curious.

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1241110045162721281?s=19

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The museum finally opened and I was able to dump my pile of exhibits onto Blathers and subsequently destroyed his vocal chords.

Also holy poo poo, the museum in this game looks awesome! :aaaaa:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 24, 2020

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1242420060490067969?s=19

Sort of accidentally found that bit of magic while I was just talking this pic

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1242420321879089152?s=19

The photo stuff in this game is really nice to have

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

homeless snail posted:

Please don't slander Tom Nook, he's a good man that just wants to revitalize his dying rural hometown

:thunk:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dr.D-O posted:

I like sim games (e.g., sim city, cities skylines, frostpunk), but this doesn't seem very similar to those.

From an outsiders' perspective, this game seems like a chore simulator. But, y'all seem really into it. So I'm curious.
Here are the main things that make me enjoy it:
--The daily nature means that it's easy to make it into bite sized bits where you only play and hour or two per day
--It's a bit more like a toy village with quests attached to making the toy village of your dream. My wife and I build a Lego Christmas village every year and the game feels like that except you also get to live inside of the village.
--The atmosphere and general vibes of the game are great and I think that's where the chore simulator thing kind of falls apart. Like objectively, the gameplay is super simplistic outside of designing the island. You're digging, picking up, catching, smashing, chopping. But those verbs are a bit secondary in a lot of ways. They create a buffer from just running through the game and help create that daily nature. But they also give you a why for walking around the island and exploring. The actual verb of catching a butterfly isn't particularly exciting, but the presentation of it all elevates it.

I think the one thing you'll be bummed if you're coming in from something like The Sims is the lack of interactivity with some of the decorations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Tell me about flowers and their subsequent effect on bug availability. I only have white, red, and orange flowers - do I need to scum islands until I get others for a full museum eventually? Something about a peacock butterfly only spawning on colors I don't have? Will the Nooklings sell different colors every day cause they sure haven't yet.
peacock butterflies, as I understand it, can only spawn on blue, black, or purple flowers. I have only tried blue but can guarantee that that works at least, and I would expect the other colors to work since they did in previous games.

orchid mantises will only spawn on white flowers.

both orchid mantises and peacock butterflies are good money so blue+white flowers seems like a good plan to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't have any of those things and am swimming in peacocks and emperors

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I found some blue flowers on a rando island. I dug them up and planted them on my island. I've seen several with unique flower colors without really scumming for them. You can also hybridize flowers into different colors if you plant them next to each other and water them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm going to break taboo and time travel now that nook said I'm getting the town hall tomorrow

I cannot stand another day of this sleepy tune

Someone talk me down

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm going to break taboo and time travel now that nook said I'm getting the town hall tomorrow

Someone talk me down

The game's producer and director say it's not cheating, so do what your heart tells you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr.D-O posted:

https://twitter.com/msalicenutting/status/1241362010517966855?s=19

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone talk me down

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone talk me down

Play another game, don't burn out so fast :ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ruffian Price posted:

Play another game, don't burn out so fast :ohdear:

I'm just having fun fishing and stuff but it's just the same song for 4-5 days now? And I can just... make it stop if I gently caress with a clock?

I feel like it's a slippery slope but oooooh give me a breeaaak.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Play some original AC music over the game? Might be tricky with fishing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm on day four and I feel like the urgency to get things done I had days one through three aren't there. Day one I was busy getting things ready, donating wildlife, collecting iron nuggs; Day two I was busy getting things ready for Nook kids shop and building homes for my residents, taking trips to collect resources; Day three I felt started to taper off with things I *had* to do and I just sort of stockpiled resources and bummed around; And now I started day four and I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I'm walking around the island, thinking about upgrading my house and paying that off, waiting for my last villager to move in, but I forgot that this game is also a chill-on-an-island simulator and not just a part-time-job simulator as well.

e: and when I say urgency to get things done, I clearly mean urgency felt by me to get the most out of any given day. None of the urgency is applied by the game itself. Hell, I'm pretty sure I spent like eight hours on day one just collecting nook miles for future use.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

The game's producer and director say it's not cheating, so do what your heart tells you.

literally play the way you enjoy most, it's animal crossing :yeah:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Martytoof posted:

I'm on day four and I feel like the urgency to get things done I had days one through three aren't there. Day one I was busy getting things ready, donating wildlife, collecting iron nuggs; Day two I was busy getting things ready for Nook kids shop and building homes for my residents, taking trips to collect resources; Day three I felt started to taper off with things I *had* to do and I just sort of stockpiled resources and bummed around; And now I started day four and I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I'm walking around the island, thinking about upgrading my house and paying that off, waiting for my last villager to move in, but I forgot that this game is also a chill-on-an-island simulator and not just a part-time-job simulator as well.

e: and when I say urgency to get things done, I clearly mean urgency felt by me to get the most out of any given day. None of the urgency is applied by the game itself. Hell, I'm pretty sure I spent like eight hours on day one just collecting nook miles for future use.

They let you prep the homes on day two? That wasn't an option for me til day 3

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Got a DIY recipe for "Gold Plates" so guess I can dine like a king. All I need is some gold nuggets...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm just having fun fishing and stuff but it's just the same song for 4-5 days now? And I can just... make it stop if I gently caress with a clock?

I have always said play the game however you dang want. Would time skipping a day let you have more fun? Then do it.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Your Computer posted:

literally play the way you enjoy most, it's animal crossing :yeah:

Yeah this, for real. More than ever, this is a time that people are going to need their fun. The game took out punishments for this sort of stuff because that's not chill. If you wanna get a jump on crafting your perfect town, or even just getting some new music, go for it.

I'm not going to time travel (outside of an hour or two for shop times maybe.) but people who do aren't cheating themselves out of time they're not even going to be playing the game during.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's literally one more day of the starting music before a billion years of the hourly music, don't slide down the slippery slope for no reason.

Time Travel is dumb and will make you burn out on the game faster, and now of all times you want this game to last.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sea Lily posted:

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1242420060490067969?s=19

Sort of accidentally found that bit of magic while I was just talking this pic

Hold the phone, you can change a villager's outfit????

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Potted plants react to having fans pointed at them! :aaa:

Also time traveling is only wrong if you're doing it because you're one of those people that likes to power through every game as quickly as possible, no matter how much it compromises enjoyment, so that it can be resold before the value goes down.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hold the phone, you can change a villager's outfit????

Just at Harv's island for photoshoots

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m working from home and I just have my switch in kickstand mode beside my laptop and I have my villager chilling at the beach or sitting in the museum and it’s chill af

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
does it need to be raining to catch a string fish?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

does it need to be raining to catch a string fish?

I caught one in a friend's town and it wasn't raining. It was nighttime though. I don't know if it has to be nighttime. I caught it in the pond at the highest point in her town but they're SUPPOSED to spawn anywhere in the river in the top 2 levels.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Have you guys seen the user review bombs on Metacritic? People complaining that there are no objectives 0/10.

The internet never disappoints, lol.

quote:

The objectives of the game are not clear, there are multiple tasks but none lead to a greater objective or at least I did not see any interesting narrative that was spun in the background, it's sad and embarrassing that having superior hardware such as the Nintendo Switch the developer has opted for that annoying world in perspective of roller and they would not make the jump to the more open world as other sagas have done.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does the game actually tell you that you can hold A to move stuff around in your pockets? I just learned that by reading this thread.

Also, they finally made it so you can shake trees with your bug net out so there’s no need to fear wasps. The trouble is if you accidentally shake a tree while going after a tarantula...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a way to put stuff back in your pockets from the home organizer view? As far as i can tell you can just move it to storage, unless I'm missing something. Just a minor inconvenience but if there's a prompt I'm missing I'd rather learn now to save myself a billion clicks over the life of this game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Olivil posted:

Have you guys seen the user review bombs on Metacritic? People complaining that there are no objectives 0/10.

Why isn’t this game Breath of the Crossing????

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They let you prep the homes on day two? That wasn't an option for me til day 3

Oh wait, I guess I’m on day five. Yeah, I may have gotten my timeline wrong. At any rate, my point stands :)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does the game actually tell you that you can hold A to move stuff around in your pockets? I just learned that by reading this thread.

Also, they finally made it so you can shake trees with your bug net out so there’s no need to fear wasps. The trouble is if you accidentally shake a tree while going after a tarantula...

Not yet! That has been bothering me.

I haven't read a bunch of this thread since I've got too much Animal Crossing to play.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Olivil posted:

Animal Crossing Saga

Coming soon to a delusional twitter feed near you

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

It's literally one more day of the starting music before a billion years of the hourly music, don't slide down the slippery slope for no reason.

Time Travel is dumb and will make you burn out on the game faster, and now of all times you want this game to last.
just because this is (I assume) true for you doesn't mean it is for everyone. Some people don't jive well with the real-time nature of the gameplay. Others might have a weird schedule that the game doesn't really support. I mean heck, we have people in this thread making literal spreadsheets to ensure that they aren't missing anything, and somehow "playing at a pace comfortable to you" is controversial and a slippery slope?

it's a chill video game. Enjoy it the way you want. There ain't no cheating in Animal Crossing, the game is what you make of it :)

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.
When you make a custom design and choose wear how do you pick the clothing type? It defaults to tank top.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Olivil posted:

"As other sagas have done" is really funny to me but I don't know why exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Lifetime77 posted:

When you make a custom design and choose wear how do you pick the clothing type? It defaults to tank top.

You'll have to make it a pro design, I think