Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

TheParadigm posted:

What does the jammer plane do? Can it make enemy missiles miss? Is it able to foil ground station radars, or is it just there to nullify other awacs?

We've been on the recieving end of OECM a few times, I think. Generally, it degrades radar detection and localization, as well as making missiles more inaccurate. It's a very solid "nice to have" but by no means essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Maybe they'll get the chance to shine in Africa that they didn't get in the Kuriles.

Hey, the Phantoms we had the last time we were in Africa did absurdly well for their original purchase price. Buy more Phantoms.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Must vote ISARM. Better radar in the air might have given the F6s a better chance against the Hornets last mission.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Voting K&P, drones!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
ISARM

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I'm torn between K&P drones, and ISARM Mexican AWACS.

ISARM seems to be winning, so I'm gonna be contrary and vote K&P.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Voting will run for another 12 hours or so.

Final negotiations are looking good. We're angling to get a prototype unit that some forlorn defense contractor is just itching to monetize.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Oh heck yeah the last procurement round is going to be some obscure piece of experimental military hardware? It'll fit right in!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The K&P drones offer us radar and ELINT like the big Mexican bird, but also a recon package and we get more of them (3 vs 2). I think this should be our choice.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Gonna change my vote from ISARM to K&P. I know I extolled the virtues of AWACS, but I want to see what these little babies can do.

Yooper posted:

Final negotiations are looking good. We're angling to get a prototype unit that some forlorn defense contractor is just itching to monetize.

oh hell yes, bring on the wAcKy prototypes

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yooper posted:

Metal Gear?!

Seriously though, I have high hopes for some boondoggle hilarity in round 4.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yooper posted:

Okay, who decided it was a great idea to 3d print comanches and got caught?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Tevery Best posted:

The K&P drones offer us radar and ELINT like the big Mexican bird, but also a recon package and we get more of them (3 vs 2). I think this should be our choice.

No air search radar. The big mexican bird is the only air search offer we have. Otherwise we rely on the 100nm cone radars of our eagles.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Voting ISARM

If we can’t spot something on the ground, that sucks and we go home.

If we can’t spot incoming bogies we get shot down.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

No air search radar. The big mexican bird is the only air search offer we have. Otherwise we rely on the 100nm cone radars of our eagles.

Alright, you convinced me

isarm

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
ISRAM

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ISARM

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
K&P. We chose a ground-strike force. So let's lean into it.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

K&P

The tankers are useful, but they're not fun generating assets. The theatre is massive, we've got to be realistic about what we can hit and what is simply out of range.
If this means that we have to turn down missions that are too far away and we're just the meanest son of a bitch in a 700nm bubble then so be it.

Now we can leverage this into our gimmick/ plan of operations

We're limited by our legs and endurance, we've got to commit to some area to base from and we can't fly all across the continent.

We are effectively the travelling air force circus which sets up shop locally for the month, mingles with the locals and delivers munitions and CAP, up until we run out of quests and move somewhere else to progress the story.

The reason I back the K&P drone is that we want to leverage the most out of our strike force, we've got a ton of strike and we need to find a way to actually find the targets to hit with it.
Otherwise all our very capable strike force will be doing is flying around blind, with no targets to hit.

Now, this does mean that we are less capable A2A wise.

But we have had played the last 4 theatres as an airforce that has the best A2A option, with full AWACS and tanker support, with the best BVR missile in the world and it got real, real formulaic towards the end.
Literally ended up as us getting air superiority and then conducting offensive counter air v4.0, LGBs on runways, rinse and repeat.

Let's play as the plucky strike force, helping the locals and then moving along to different environments.

And airwise, if we don't have absolute air superiority then it means we can play with some more ground based assets. Which is so so much more interesting.

Would love to have us purchase and plan some SAMs, air defense to defend our bases and outposts.
Would love to have to purchase/ plan where our ground based radar is covering so our F15s can have some support.
Would love to have to contract out or lease some A2A or AWACS cover, whilst our strike fighter screen tries to run through the gauntlet of air defenses.
Would love to have to defined against mass ground assaults towards us and support our own.
Would love to use some ground based artillery and missiles and see how that interacts and changes our assumptions when they're used against us

It's all more interesting that having absolute air superiority, clearing the airforce, clearing the SAMs and then just blapping things at our leisure.
Which I fear it would be if we just got air superiority again, A2A is just so cutthroat that you have to play the optimal way which is boring.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Copy that. I look forward to us acquiring Gjader 2.0 (3.0, 4.0, 5.0 as we lose them or move on).

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Second Rome, third Rome, fourth Rome, fifth Rome, Nth Rome...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

By a single vote, Mr Crustacean sealed the deal. No word on if it comes with the cute little truck for drone tending.

Finally, our last category. Point defense. BFLM has managed to snag a pre-production prototype. If this prototype has "teething issues" (as the salesman called it) we may be able to get a 2nd unit paired with it. ISARM purchased the Syrian SA-22 after the Syrians expressed displeasure at the effectiveness of the units. Not sure what happened there.

Please note the altitudes that all of our options are effective.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BLFM

I don't care if it's good or not, we need our own goddamn sword of Excalibur. Sure, it didn't work for the Belkans, but we can't be truly Ace Combat until we have an impractical laser weapon.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Definitely BLFM. It’s a frigging laser. Although I’m sure it will be vulnerable to saturation strikes due to having 3 km range and a dwell time to kill missives, so are all pd systems.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

BFLM oh my word.

e: plus that radar range is significant.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

LASER! LASER! LASER!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

LASER! LASER! LASER!

(LASER)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I think the laser is a trap. I'm going Ivanov. What if we need to shoot down an airliner high flying recon plane?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

slothrop posted:

I think the laser is a trap.

Silence, heretic!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

slothrop posted:

I think the laser is a trap. I'm going Ivanov. What if we need to shoot down an airliner high flying recon plane?

I was very, very close to making this joke.

But laser.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
“Oh a Buk, that’s a solid option and has the longest range, I guess we should—wait, is that a loving laser?”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
laser

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

What kind of sad sack would vote for anything other than LASERS.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
BFLM. Yes it's probably a trap but frickin' laser.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 24, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

“Oh a Buk, that’s a solid option and has the longest range, I guess we should—wait, is that a loving laser?”

I want to propose a title change.

Strike Command: wait, is that a loving laser?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Well...if nothing else, we can confirm that laser weaponry works as intended in CMO. And it does have a very nice radar, which is kinda important. If nothing else, it means we can divert other assets to intercept threats. BFLM for me, then.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We definitely need a good radar with our lack of awacs. Plus, LASER.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BFLM

The future's so bright we'll need shades!

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

BFLM

It has easily the best ground radar, it'll allow us to do some ground based control , which within its radius /our home turf can be as good as an AWACS.

Will also provide us a vital early warning radar so we can scramble our fighters to intercept ant bogies incoming.

It also has a laser.
Very much want to use a laser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
BFLM

Can't wait to lase OPFOR's cockpits and dazzle the crew.

Is this an air rave?