Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

captkirk posted:

I made my first batch of sourdough bread from my sourdough starter (currently named Roanoke to represent my expectations of the starter). It turned out decent. An okay crumb though I would love larger air bubbles and the crust wound up super super soft so I am mostly using it for stuff like sandwhiches or beans and toast. What can I do to get sour dough to have larger/looser crumb and a tougher crust? Or is standard yeast more the tool for that?

if you have a cast iron dutch oven, use that. pre-heat it along with your oven to 500F for at least half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

Did you have a water pan in the oven? What temperature did you bake at? I think steam in the oven is what helps develop the crust (not a bread expert). How did you do the proofing?

Baked at 450 (had a thermometer in to show it was at 450 or higher), no water pan. Did the final rise into the fridge overnight (it's what the recipe I followed said to do).

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

captkirk posted:

Baked at 450 (had a thermometer in to show it was at 450 or higher), no water pan. Did the final rise into the fridge overnight (it's what the recipe I followed said to do).

I agree with chard that high heat and a Dutch oven would help with the crust. My copy of the bread bakers apprentice says that gentle handling after the first rise helps let the dough keep larger holes in the crumb (don't punch down on the dough)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

I agree with chard that high heat and a Dutch oven would help with the crust. My copy of the bread bakers apprentice says that gentle handling after the first rise helps let the dough keep larger holes in the crumb (don't punch down on the dough)

I used a dutch oven, no lid, at 450. Might actually have some cracks in the enamel of my dutch oven after this :-/

Don't think I was too rough with the dough through out the fold and turn phase of the dough, but maybe I'm wrong.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

captkirk posted:

I used a dutch oven, no lid, at 450. Might actually have some cracks in the enamel of my dutch oven after this :-/

Don't think I was too rough with the dough through out the fold and turn phase of the dough, but maybe I'm wrong.

Well I'm not an expert, but I too just made my first loaf of sourdough and I had the Dutch oven preheated at 500, put the cover on the first 20 minutes, then took it off for the rest and threw a bunch of water in the oven to make it steamy. My crust turned out nice and chewy, though I also had too tight if a crumb (too slow of rise maybe). There is a bread thread, they'd probably have helpful advice

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don’t like sourdough

THERE, I SAID IT

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I don’t like sourdough

THERE, I SAID IT

:stare:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

higher hydration will have a larger crumb

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

collard/turnip/mustard greens, all of these want smoked pork. what are vegetarian ways of sort-of recreating that flavor? my thoughts are deeply browned onions, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and brown sugar, which came out pretty good in my last batch but still missing depth and unctuousness. any thoughts to improve no-meat greens?

Scientastic posted:

I don’t like sourdough

THERE, I SAID IT

your dislike of the dough is all the punishment required for this sin. when you come to the sourlight all will be forgiven.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Chard posted:

collard/turnip/mustard greens, all of these want smoked pork. what are vegetarian ways of sort-of recreating that flavor? my thoughts are deeply browned onions, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and brown sugar, which came out pretty good in my last batch but still missing depth and unctuousness. any thoughts to improve no-meat greens?

your dislike of the dough is all the punishment required for this sin. when you come to the sourlight all will be forgiven.

I would say you need some umami in there. Maybe something like chopped and fried mushrooms and a dollop of Vegemite/Marmite/ Nutritional Yeast. Also miso could work.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Helith posted:

I would say you need some umami in there. Maybe something like chopped and fried mushrooms and a dollop of Vegemite/Marmite/ Nutritional Yeast. Also miso could work.

Seconding this.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Miso and Braggs

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chard posted:

Is there a vegetarian gelatin equivalent? When I do quick and dirty greens with bacon instead of a ham hock, I add a packet of unflavored gelatin for that lip-smacking collagen. Using some kind of veg. stock instead of water would help too.

It’s not the same flavor, but if you slice any of the above really thin (esp. mustard and turnip greens-collards are tougher) they are good sautéed with lots of garlic and olive oil like spinach. They don’t actually have to stew for forever to get tender enough to eat.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chard posted:

In addition to whatever else was mentioned, tomatoes, smoked paprika, splash of cider vinegar, maybe splash of molasses.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a vegetarian gelatin equivalent? When I do quick and dirty greens with bacon instead of a ham hock, I add a packet of unflavored gelatin for that lip-smacking collagen. Using some kind of veg. stock instead of water would help too.

It’s not the same flavor, but if you slice any of the above really thin (esp. mustard and turnip greens-collards are tougher) they are good sautéed with lots of garlic and olive oil like spinach. They don’t actually have to stew for forever to get tender enough to eat.

agar agar

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hauki posted:

In addition to whatever else was mentioned, tomatoes, smoked paprika, splash of cider vinegar, maybe splash of molasses.

Black strap molasses! Adds this weird smoky quality that works nice on strong veggies.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I've got some thai basil I need to use before it goes and I have half a pork loin left. I have had some really good dishes with wild boar. I know it's not the same but wondering what is a good use for this

I also have dried galangal, ginger, lemon grass, some hot (not bird eye) chilies. Recipes/ideas?

e: I also a few big pork shoulders I could defrost too

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 23, 2020

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Pasta fail.

I usually make lasagna with store bought dried pasta.

A few months ago I bought a pasta roller and made fresh linguine and loved it.

Today I decided to make lasagna with fresh pasta. Except...I didn't boil the lasagna sheet first. (facepalm)

Now I have a delicious Bolognese and amazing mozzarella layered with wet flour. I'm trying to strip the sauce and cheese out from the pasta so I can improvise a spaghetti sauce.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I add a packet of unflavored gelatin for that lip-smacking collagen.

Hm.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thanks for all the tips on improving my greens, next time i brave the wastelands to go grocery shopping i'll give some of those a try!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bagheera posted:

Pasta fail.

I usually make lasagna with store bought dried pasta.

A few months ago I bought a pasta roller and made fresh linguine and loved it.

Today I decided to make lasagna with fresh pasta. Except...I didn't boil the lasagna sheet first. (facepalm)

Now I have a delicious Bolognese and amazing mozzarella layered with wet flour. I'm trying to strip the sauce and cheese out from the pasta so I can improvise a spaghetti sauce.

Would it not have cooked in the sauce anyway? When you make lasagna with dry sheets you're supposed to boil them intentionally underdone because they finish cooking in the oven. Seems that would be enough time for fresh pasta to cook through in there.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

Would it not have cooked in the sauce anyway? When you make lasagna with dry sheets you're supposed to boil them intentionally underdone because they finish cooking in the oven. Seems that would be enough time for fresh pasta to cook through in there.

As soon as they put the raw pasta in contact with sauce and cheese it started sucking moisture out of them, and turned to paste before it reached the temp needed to actually set the starches.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
potentially a very stupid question: why does anyone ever peel a potato? Aren't you just throwing away flavour and nutrients?

I'm lazy AF and I don't even peel for mashed potatoes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think for mash it's only for colour, consistency and textural reasons. Lots of famous/YouTube chefs do it (Babish even uses white pepper so as to keep the colour pale and unblemished) so I think other people follow suit.

Personally I'm fully with you, I think it's actively detrimental to peel potatoes for mash, but then I like mixing all kinds of poo poo into my mash (greek yoghurt, pesto, mustard, leeks) so some skin doesn't stand out.

For roast potatoes then yes peeling is necessary.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I don't peel my carrots or ginger either.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Carrots no, ginger I've been actively enjoying peeling since my girlfriend showed me how easy it is to do with a spoon although I can see that the skin probably wouldn't be noticable once cooked

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Butterfly Valley posted:

you loving what now?

not trying to be rude, just genuinely shocked! I love skin on my roasties.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Carrots no, ginger I've been actively enjoying peeling since my girlfriend showed me how easy it is to do with a spoon although I can see that the skin probably wouldn't be noticable once cooked

I used to, but then had enough professional advice/cooks (Chef Wang and at least one member of the BA crew) not do it, so I've stopped and not noticed much of a difference, outside of it being easier/faster.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Chard posted:

I'm just thinking out loud (It's been a while since I've made greens), but would more fat help? It's not really a "flavor" as such, but you definitely taste fat in dishes and I feel like it would add some of that depth and unctuousness you're missing. Depending on the cut I feel like smoked pork may add a nontrivial amount of fat. You'd just have to be careful about making it greasy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've never tried it with greens or anything like that, but lapsang souchong makes a super dope broth and lends a nice smokiness to the soup. I think that might work as a substitute.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Any idea how long curry paste lasts, unopened? I'm doing some quarantine pantry improv and I found a packet of panang paste with no expiration/sell-by date that I'd like to use, assuming it won't poison my family.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

What is the matter with you

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Donkey posted:

Any idea how long curry paste lasts, unopened? I'm doing some quarantine pantry improv and I found a packet of panang paste with no expiration/sell-by date that I'd like to use, assuming it won't poison my family.

Forever, but the flavor starts to fade. Still worth keeping around.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I assume peeled potatoes guy means like tournage or fondant, because otherwise no.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ok this must be some weird UK/American schism because roast potatoes, like you would have with a Sunday dinner, are absolutely always peeled and then usually par boiled and chuffed up so that when they roast they get a larger surface area to crisp up and carry whatever flavours you roast them with

Is it possible you think I mean baked potatoes? Because obviously they need the skin

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
In God's country roast potatoes are just cubed, skins left on and then roasted. Maybe with oil or maybe under like a chicken or pork roast to collect fats.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If we want crispy we usually do smashed potatoes, featuring plenty of butter. Those little wedges of roast potato are a thing, but usually unpeeled red potatoes. Kenji's ultimate uses peeled russets, though.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Who are you people with time to peel your potatoes? poo poo, the skin is the best part anyways. Leave me all the mashed taters with skins.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It doesn't take any time to peel potatoes with my Tater MittsTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Always eat your potato skins, they've all the good stuff!
and any excuse to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0uz6YdTcM&t=441s