Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

TheFluff posted:

This is true but the term itself goes back to the first game where the third chapter (which starts immediately after the test chamber explodes) is called "unforeseen consequences".

I don't think it's necessary to spoiler tag stuff from a game from 2007, btw. Especially not one as widely played as HL2.

Well, obviously. I'm just saying that's why Eli says the line, he's lamenting the G-Man's warning of unforeseen consequences.

Also the reason I'm using spoiler tags is because all of this directly relates to the extremely unexpected ending of HLA. It's pretty easy to infer spoilers from just those words for anyone who happens to remember the dialogue and I'd rather not have somebody get mad at me for accidentally spoiling HLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

SCheeseman posted:

The gags serve a gameplay purpose, they defalte tension. I haven't had a problem with the writing quality and it seems mostly up to par with Portal 2, I've found the jokes to be pretty funny.

Why the need to deflate tension? Why build anticipation in a setpiece, only to flatten it out with non-sequiturs? It's shooting yourself in the foot.

Also, the gags don't serve a gameplay purpose. Nothing in the game advances, neither the characters or gameplay, with the inclusion of gags. That's why gag humor is reserved for things like American Dad and lovely Pixar knockoff movies.

Also, the fact that they can't use just a Vortigaunt and write him well, having to rely on a Vort that has BrAiN dAmAgE who is crazy and wacky is a baaaaad loving sign. The Vort that accompanies you in episode 2 is wonderfully written AND funny without having to rely on a crutch to not write a compelling character.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 24, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

End of Shoelace posted:

Why the need to deflate tension? Why build anticipation in a setpiece, only to flatten it out with non-sequiturs? It's shooting yourself in the foot.

Also, the gags don't serve a gameplay purpose. Nothing in the game advances, neither the characters or gameplay, with the inclusion of gags. That's why gag humor is reserved for things like American Dad and lovely Pixar knockoff movies.

Too much tension and people just stop playing.

I'm guessing you were not a fan of Portal 2.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Naw, gags are good. Alyx is good. Few hours in and no real complaints so far.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

SCheeseman posted:

Too much tension and people just stop playing.

I'm guessing you were not a fan of Portal 2.

People sometimes had to leave the theaters to finish watching The Excorcist. Is this a sign the movie should have had a computer UI cracking jokes at you in the corner?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

End of Shoelace posted:

People sometimes had to leave the theaters to finish watching The Excorcist. Is this a sign the movie should have had a computer UI cracking jokes at you in the corner?

For someone who complains about poor writing, you sure do say a lot of dumb poo poo.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

End of Shoelace posted:

People in thr 70s were a hardier breed. Modern gamers are as likely to simply give up or disengage

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

End of Shoelace posted:

Also, the fact that they can't use just a Vortigaunt and write him well, having to rely on a Vort that has BrAiN dAmAgE who is crazy and wacky is a baaaaad loving sign. The Vort that accompanies you in episode 2 is wonderfully written AND funny without having to rely on a crutch to not write a compelling character.

This has kinda always been the tone for Half-Life man, even HL1 had plenty of jokes and moments of levity.

The series takes after action movie classics and it's a staple in that genre to have plenty of humor. One liners are inextricably connected with Arnold movies for example.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Ah yes, the Half-Life tradition of a huge room filled with explosives and improbably placed tripwire mines. :allears: Who tf put these here anyway??

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

JK Fresco posted:

People in thr 70s were a hardier breed. Modern gamers are as likely to simply give up or disengage

There's plenty of film today that makes The Exorcist seem tame by comparison (and I absolutely love The Exorcist) it's kind of a joke to say people in the 70s were a "hardier breed" when it comes to entertainment as modern media tends to be far more gruesome and dark in general than most of what you saw back then. The envelop gets pushed and new artists need to find ways to unsettle people again so it's almost a linear process.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
VR games have an enormous advantage in terms of enviromental storytelling compared to most game genres. To note, the world designers in Alyx were very much on the ball with this, with choices like starting you on a balcony serving as a clear connection between the ingame world and the limitation of wearing a VR headset.

In the first 10 minutes of gameplay, you are given a headset to listen to a telephone discussion between two non-compelling characters, taking you out of the enviromental storytelling. They trade something with true value with something much worse.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ah yes, the Half-Life tradition of a huge room filled with explosives and improbably placed tripwire mines. :allears: Who tf put these here anyway??

Gordon Frohman strike again.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Only played 15 minutes but so far very very impressive. The striders are really scary, I can feel my hairs stand up whenever they come into view.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoughts/questions

Is there no way to sprint? I can’t seem to go faster than the basic walking pace. Same for crouching. Obviously I can crouch in real life, but is there no button?

Game runs really well on my 1080ti/Ryzen 2600x. I left it at the settings it auto picked for me and it’s pretty much flawless.

I really wish switching the hand that you hold your gun with didn’t switch the hands you use to move and turn. I want my locomotion controls “right handed” but I want to hold the gun in my left hand

The art design in the QZ is positively disgusting and extremely organic. It’s very effective.

I’m blown away at how much detail goes into the level designs. They include things like suspended ladders for holding cables and building code type of stuff that even if you don’t know what it’s for, you’ve seen in IRL buildings and it really adds to the feeling of it being a real place

I’m really liking it.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This has kinda always been the tone for Half-Life man, even HL1 had plenty of jokes and moments of levity.

The series takes after action movie classics and it's a staple in that genre to have plenty of humor. One liners are inextricably connected with Arnold movies for example.

Gordon is not a classic action movie hero, though. He is the player, mute and dumb.
One-liners are not connected to the writing of the half-life series in any large way. There ARE one-liners, but this isn't James Bond we're talking about. The single one-liner I can think about in HL2 is:

"Doctor Freeman, I presume."

Which is directly from Henry Stanley finding doctor David Livingstone, working as a nice quip on Gordon's absence and as character writing for Alyx, establishing her as someone who is possibly quite book-smart in terms of old literature, and knowing of old-world "forbidden knowledge".

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

End of Shoelace posted:

Gordon is not a classic action movie hero, though. He is the player, mute and dumb.
One-liners are not connected to the writing of the half-life series in any large way. There ARE one-liners, but this isn't James Bond we're talking about. The single one-liner I can think about in HL2 is:

"Doctor Freeman, I presume."

Which is directly from Henry Stanley finding doctor David Livingstone, working as a nice quip on Gordon's absence and as character writing for Alyx, establishing her as someone who is possibly quite book-smart in terms of old literature, and knowing of old-world "forbidden knowledge".

I was using one liners as an example of how humor has been a consistent presence in otherwise serious subject matter in a particular genre, not that they were a traditional aspect of the HL series.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

I was using one liners as an example of how humor has been a consistent presence in otherwise serious subject matter in a particular genre, not that they were a traditional aspect of the HL series.

Well, what's your point then? That Half-Life has one-liners? That is objectively TRUE, but...

Also, if Half-Life takes after any action movie series, it's The Matrix, not Arnold movies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I was not ready to see the inner workings of Combine machinery, but in hindsight, I'm not that surprised, given how they mesh organic and mechanical for their armies - the Hunters, Striders, Drop and Gunships are all living things with armor strapped on

What's next, seeing how a Stalker is made?

:stare:

:stonk:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

End of Shoelace posted:

Well, what's your point then? That Half-Life has one-liners? That is objectively TRUE, but...

Also, if Half-Life takes after any action movie series, it's The Matrix, not Arnold movies.

My point was that Half-Life had always had a sense of humor and that the genre that it's a love letter to inspired that sense of humor, my specific examples were only that, examples. It's not about which specific films so much as the general aesthetic that it's clearly attempting to homage.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

End of Shoelace posted:

HL came out before the matrix though?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

My point was that Half-Life had always had a sense of humor and that the genre that it's a love letter to inspired that sense of humor, my specific examples were only that, examples. It's not about which specific films so much as the general aesthetic that it's clearly attempting to homage.

Sorry, but Half-Life has very little to do with old action movies, humor or otherwise. None of the jokes I can think of in Half-Life seem inspired by 80s action movies, unless you count driving the HL2 dune buggy 80mph into an electric pole and being totally unharmed like Arnie in Commando.

You could then argue that the invincible carnage machine protagonist type ala Doom and Quake is a reference to Arnold movies, but this would make literally every action FPS with a gun into Arnold movie references.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

End of Shoelace posted:

Sorry, but Half-Life has very little to do with old action movies, humor or otherwise. None of the jokes I can think of in Half-Life seem inspired by 80s action movies, unless you count driving the HL2 dune buggy 80mph into an electric pole and being totally unharmed like Arnie in Commando.

You could then argue that the invincible carnage machine protagonist type ala Doom and Quake is a reference to Arnold movies, but this would make literally every action FPS with a gun into Arnold movie references.

Jesus Christ man. The Drill Sergeant in OpFor, Barney's quips throughout the entirety of HL1 and 2, the multiple goofy hazard setups where scientists get killed in dumb ways in HL1, Lamar in HL2, the cat joke in HL2, Alyx's quips throughout HL2, Kleiner's comments about procreation in Ep2. I could go on and on and on.

The obvious issue here is that you're just insanely obtuse and are obsessed with hyperspecifity, HL as a series is so incredibly intertwined with the DNA of the action genre across the decades that if you can't spot it because you need literal, on the nose references to get it then that's your problem.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Has anyone found a way to reset your orientation like you could in Saints and Sinners? I got tired half way through my play sessions and wanted to play seated, but I couldn't adjust my height, or reset what the game considered as 'forward' (where the feet on the ground point).

The game is loving phenomenal though and I don't feel bad buying a Rift S just for this. VR is getting good boys.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
How could anyone forget Zombine

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Are you guys playing standing or sitting like true goon?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Jesus Christ man. The Drill Sergeant in OpFor, Barney's quips throughout the entirety of HL1 and 2, the multiple goofy hazard setups where scientists get killed in dumb ways in HL1, Lamar in HL2, the cat joke in HL2, Alyx's quips throughout HL2, Kleiner's comments about procreation in Ep2. I could go on and on and on.

The obvious issue here is that you're just insanely obtuse and are obsessed with hyperspecifity, HL as a series is so incredibly intertwined with the DNA of the action genre across the decades that if you can't spot it because you need literal, on the nose references to get it then that's your problem.

Opposing Force is pretty much Full Metal Jacket. I would hardly label that an action movie, seeing how it's not an action movie and satirizes war movies. Barney is maybe a buddy-cop kind of character? And sorry, I don't get how Lamarr is a reference to action movies, as he (it?) is a reference to classic cinema actress Hedy Lamarr. Maybe he's a bit like a facehugger?

Half-Life (meaning the series) is referential to some movies, creating its own narrative with them, not a "love letter".

Anyway, can someone defend the writing in Half-Life: Alyx?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

End of Shoelace posted:

Opposing Force is pretty much Full Metal Jacket.

i'm not convinced you are familiar with either of these things if you think this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

End of Shoelace posted:

Opposing Force is pretty much Full Metal Jacket.

You should watch that movie and play Opposing Forces instead of just talking about them like you have, I have to assume you haven't done either because lmao what

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

cargohills posted:

i'm not convinced you are familiar with either of these things if you think this

Opposing Force literally starts with drill sergeant Cheap Jeremy Ermey screaming at you to get your rear end in gear in boot camp. A dramatic time and genre shift happens, and helicopters carry the newly trained marines into an exotic land to fight with an elusive, strange enemy.

OpForce unfortunately has almost no commentary on its subject matters, unlike Full Metal Jacket. Structurally they are very similar.

A thread challenge: remove, in your head, Russel from Half-Life: Alyx. How do the story and narrative change?

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 24, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

End of Shoelace posted:

Opposing Force literally starts with drill sergeant Cheap Jeremy Ermey screaming at you to get your rear end in gear in boot camp. A dramatic time and genre shift happens, and helicopters carry the newly trained marines into an exotic land to fight with an elusive, strange enemy.

OpForce unfortunately has almost no commentary on its subject matters, unlike Full Metal Jacket. Structurally they are very similar.

A thread challenge: remove, in your head, Russel from Half-Life: Alyx. How do the story and narrative change?

Half-Life Alyx is good. Great, even. It will be remembered as such.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

End of Shoelace posted:

Anyway, can someone defend the writing in Half-Life: Alyx?

Yes, it's good OP. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. I'm not sure why you came into a half-life game expecting heavy dialog-driven story.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Is it me or is there no smooth turning? I turn quick turn off and it’s STILL on. Is there a dev console command to force it off? I loving hate snap turning.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
Smooth turning is broken, bug fix is coming from what I understand.

Also, the writing is pretty good. I especially like Alyx asking to have someone talk to her in the dark.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Are you guys playing standing or sitting like true goon?

Standing. It's more immersive.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

Yes, it's good OP. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. I'm not sure why you came into a half-life game expecting heavy dialog-driven story.

I'm sorry, I was spoiled by the good (in terms of video games) writing of Half-Life 2 and its episodes.

HL2 has some dialogue and tells a lot. HL: Alyx has some dialogue and tells very little. You get more about Breen's character in about 10 minutes of dialogue than you get with Russel in 30 minutes.

I do agree that Half-Life: Alyx is a good game, but not well written. The enviroments tell a better story than any of the characters.

I suggest turning character dialogue to 0 in the volume options to get the true Half-Life: Alyx experience.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 24, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So...needs more Zombine jokes?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think the jokes kind of mirror the players headspace as evidently the first thing anyone does when they get in the game is draw dicks on the glass and throw things at pigeons. It doesnt want to immediately tell the player to get srs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I smashed a pot and a chunk of it hit the cat that’s on the balcony below and I felt terrible :(

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
The zombine joke is pretty nice. It's a rare, occasional joke by Alyx, giving us an idea what kind of humor she likes: very dry, taking this into context with the doctor Livingstone quip. She is awful at telling jokes, but tries regardless. It'sa very nice use of Gordon's muteness to make a second layer for the joke, as she gets no response and is left laughing by herself. There's also the more abstract joke of "combining" two things together awkwardly in the context of the Zombine itself, like the two entitities themselves, or the words Zombie and Combine. Also worth mentioning is the ironic aspect of an alien race striving for singularity finding themselves the victims of it.

Here's a joke in Half-Life: Alyx. Russel says he has downloaded the entire internet. This means Russel has hundreds of gigabytes of child porn and animal torture videos on his hard drive. What does the joke tell us of Russel? That he really downloaded the internet? That he's maybe a liar? Most of the dialogue by Russel tells us that he is maybe autistic and Alyx finds him annoying.

If he really DID download the internet after all... why is downloading the internet funny? What makes it a joke?

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

End of Shoelace posted:

Here's a joke in Half-Life: Alyx. Russel says he has downloaded the entire internet. This means Russel has hundreds of gigabytes of child porn and animal torture videos on his hard drive. What does the joke tell us of Russel? That he really downloaded the internet? That he's maybe a liar? Most of the dialogue by Russel tells us that he is maybe autistic and Alyx finds him annoying.

If he really DID download the internet after all... why is downloading the internet funny? What makes it a joke?

I think the problem is you.