Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
So Kane,

WHAT

you big red freak,

WHAT

you ever won a gold medal?

WHAT

I didn't think so.

WHAT

And as for whether or not I'll fight you,

WHAT

in the words of popular singer Shakira:

WHAT

"whenever, wherever"!

WHAT

... what, you people have never heard of Shakira?

WHAT

That's because you're from Texas.

WHA-BOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I still remember the crowd chanting "You suck dick!" at Angle and his response being, "Your mother taught me how!"

Which honestly just raises even more questions.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

TheKingslayer posted:

I still remember the crowd chanting "You suck dick!" at Angle and his response being, "Your mother taught me how!"

Which honestly just raises even more questions.

Hey, the dicksucking factory doesn't pay as well as it used to, so my mum had to take on students on the side.

My serious question:

Have there been any famous, or notable examples of wrestlers being punished/depushed/humiliated/etc. by Vince and management for going off script in promos?

Or the other way, has a wrestler gone off script, and surprise surprise, their authentic natural words have gotten them more over. And did WWE claim that they wrote those words/that was always the way it was meant to go/etc. and reward the wrestler for their initiative?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Wasn't entirely a promo, but going off script got Big Cass fired.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

In a roundabout way Flair getting hammered and going way off script cost JR his job.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dusty putting his hand out to shut Stephanie up got him taken permanently off TV

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They punished his kids by derailing their angle against The Shield too. Now both Dustin and Cody are gone from WWE so looks like that decision had no negative repercussions for Vince McMahon!
waits impatiently for Wednesday, my Judas

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of Angle, did he do anything worthwhile after returning a few years ago? I remember it as he's the new Raw General Manager, then he's Jason Jordan's father as a rib because Angle once slept with a black woman, then Jordan gets injured to the point of possible retirement, then Angle joins the Shield for a week due to Roman's leukemia resurfacing, then he loses to Baron Corbin in a retirement match at Wrestlemania.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The Nexus was a huge turd waiting to happen because WWE developmental at that time sucked and all of the talent basically sucked. Really sucked. Half of the faction was just useless.

Wade Barrett: Good promo, below average wrestler. Could be protected and be something.
David Otunga: Horrible wrestler, OK talker but you don't need two promo only guys in a faction.
Michael Tarver: Horrible wrestler, who knows what kind of a promo.
Heath Slater: Good wrestler, good personality, but not really a star.
Justin Gabriel: Above average wrestler, not really a great promo or personality.
The Ryback: Would need to be hidden in the ring, just like Wade.
Darren Young: Really bad wrestler, I guess an ok personality?
Bryan: Gone after week 1.

This was not a recipe for success especially after the locker room chased them off. I get why people were excited at the time but it has been 10 years you can admit WWE's horrible talent evaluation and training was not going to lead to anything good.

I agree pretty much 100%, but I do think if you take away Young, Tarver and Otunga (and improve the booking, which, obv, is always the issue here), they could have had a pretty good faction for quite a while. Even without Bryan, Slater and Sheffield would have been a decent "annoying little guy and big, muscular bad worker" tag team, Gabriel could have been a solid IC/US-level guy by using Being In The Nexus as a way of getting heat in order to cover for his not-yet-there persona, and then, like you said, have Barrett at the top as a protected guy and the talker for the other three.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Crowe: WHAT

Undertaker: Say what if you sleep with your sister.

Crowe: WHA-BOOOOO

Was also a good one and a highlight in Taker's otherwise boring and plodding promos.

What was the Dusty and Stephanie thing? Were they doing a promo for some reason?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of Angle, did he do anything worthwhile after returning a few years ago? I remember it as he's the new Raw General Manager, then he's Jason Jordan's father as a rib because Angle once slept with a black woman, then Jordan gets injured to the point of possible retirement, then Angle joins the Shield for a week due to Roman's leukemia resurfacing, then he loses to Baron Corbin in a retirement match at Wrestlemania.
I think he joined the shield because of the meningitis outbreak, rather than roman’s leukaemia

But otherwise you’re spot on. It was a complete bust

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was also a good one and a highlight in Taker's otherwise boring and plodding promos.

What was the Dusty and Stephanie thing? Were they doing a promo for some reason?

Wait, Solomon Crowe slept with his sister?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dusty was going back and forth with HHH and they had a stare down. Stephanie put her face between theirs on the hard camera to leech the heat and Dusty did a talk to the hand on her.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Lamuella posted:

Wait, Solomon Crowe slept with his sister?

It was actually his cousin, Dewey.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheKingslayer posted:

Dusty was going back and forth with HHH and they had a stare down. Stephanie put her face between theirs on the hard camera to leech the heat and Dusty did a talk to the hand on her.

https://youtu.be/EpmPBMN-CJE

“You crossed a line old man!”

Stephanie really should have gotten out of the way and let them have their staredown, but y’know. GOTTA GET HEEEEEEAT.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Stephanie is the personification of a spoiled brat rich kid that only has anything because of her father and nepotism.

Shane is also bad but he's not around as often.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Stephanie is the personification of a spoiled brat rich kid that only has anything because of her father and nepotism.

excuse me she worked her way up from receptionist to Chief Branding Officer

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Only because Fox told him to GTFO.

How many months did we have to put up with THE BEST IN THE WORLD SHAAAAAAAAAAANE MAC-MAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON taking up multiple segments a week? :argh:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

god, there is very little in wrestling as sweet to me as the two sons of a son of a plumber getting revenge over the man who dressed the best wrestling mind of a generation in polka dots.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember when Shane McMahon pinned Roman Reigns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Flight Bisque posted:

It was actually his cousin, Dewey.

I'm not saying that AEW should hire Walt Goggins to play Boyd Crowder setting up a scheme/crossing paths with Jake the Snake and Lance "Murderhawk" Archer, but.... actually gently caress it, I am saying that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 25, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not saying that AEW should hire Walt Goggins to play Boyd Crowder setting up to a scheme/crossing paths with Jake the Snake and Lance "Murderhawk" Archer, but.... actually gently caress it, I am saying that.

Now THAT'S an Exalted One.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hey pal, Stephanie herself and many people who have worked for her father and now her for years say Vince was harder on her than anyone else specifically to show there was no favoritism so she’s where she’s at not only because she was the best but she was the best by a whole lot

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

Remember when Shane McMahon pinned Roman Reigns

remember in early 2009 when Orton was the hottest act they'd had in years and Shane whipped his rear end, then he lost clean at 'Mania, just to ensure they didn't get Randy way more over than he's been before or since.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I honestly remembered Shane as someone that, while taking spots on the card that could have gone to others, still lost at the end of his feuds and willing to put people over. At least before he came back in 2014. He's been absolutely insufferable ever since.

And did Fox really order WWE to take Shane off Smackdown?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All of you have shown me the light, Stephanie rules and Vince drools.

I saw a week or two ago that HHH is no longer in charge of talent? What happened there?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I honestly remembered Shane as someone that, while taking spots on the card that could have gone to others, still lost at the end of his feuds and willing to put people over. At least before he came back in 2014. He's been absolutely insufferable ever since.

And did Fox really order WWE to take Shane off Smackdown?

Why could an actual wrestler be in those spots? Also, it was terrible how he'd take dumb bumps because he knew he wouldn't be off with baseline pay if something went wrong

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

Why could an actual wrestler be in those spots?

Not sure what you're asking here.

Randaconda posted:

Also, it was terrible how he'd take dumb bumps because he knew he wouldn't be off with baseline pay if something went wrong

Oh, I absolutely agree. It was incredibly selfish as well because plenty of people would come away from a PPV remembering Shane jumping off a grain silo over anything else that happened on the show.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not sure what you're asking here.

Oh, I absolutely agree. It was incredibly selfish as well because plenty of people would come away from a PPV remembering Shane jumping off a grain silo over anything else that happened on the show.

I meant why couldn't a real wrestler be in Shane's spot? He's an incredibly poor wrestler, he can't talk, and he doesn't look like a star. Why not use an actual wrestler

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

I meant why couldn't a real wrestler be in Shane's spot? He's an incredibly poor wrestler, he can't talk, and he doesn't look like a star. Why not use an actual wrestler

Oh, I agree with you. I meant that I didn't remember him being as selfish back then compared to the last six years. He still had no business in most of those feuds outside Vince and Test.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I gotta get into AEW. They even have Jake the Sanem now.

I did a watch party of Beyond the Mat with my best friend who's not a wrestling nerd. The rush of nostalgia and sadness was intense. From explaining Terry Funk's dozen retirements and who the gently caress Dennis Stamp is, to explaining Jake's childhood.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

The Wrestling What-If thread got me thinking: what happened with Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno? Dude went from Indy Darling to Hopeful NXT prospect hampered by injury/fat, back to grizzled Indy Darling, back to NXT gatekeeper?

Could he not stay healthy and that’s why he is where he is now (which is what, exactly?)?

Edit: admittedly, I stopped watching WWE/NXT a while ago so I haven’t been keeping tabs.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BodyMassageMachine posted:

The Wrestling What-If thread got me thinking: what happened with Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno? Dude went from Indy Darling to Hopeful NXT prospect hampered by injury/fat, back to grizzled Indy Darling, back to NXT gatekeeper?

Could he not stay healthy and that’s why he is where he is now (which is what, exactly?)?

Edit: admittedly, I stopped watching WWE/NXT a while ago so I haven’t been keeping tabs.

he's quietly transitioned into more of a coach/trainer role with NXT and gets a good enough salary to not have to keep up the hustle of working indies anymore. He was most recently wrestling for NXT UK which im sure was just something he requested so he could remain a global guy and whenever NXT Japan starts up i would not be shocked to see him as one of the starting players for that.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I saw a week or two ago that HHH is no longer in charge of talent? What happened there?

Yes and no. He got a promotion to a position that puts him more or less in charge of large-scale, big-vision talent decisions, but takes him off the face-to-face beat he was on.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Oh, I agree with you. I meant that I didn't remember him being as selfish back then compared to the last six years. He still had no business in most of those feuds outside Vince and Test.

I haven't seen the match in ages but I think people are/were generally pretty happy with his stuff with Steve Blackman too, right? It seemed like that with Blackman and Test he just wanted to put over his mates who were otherwise fairly bland wrestlers. Some might count his infamous match with Kurt Angle too, though in hindsight I don't think Angle needed it at all and also the match was unnecessarily violent (ie both men nearly died).

I liked Shane because he jumped off stuff like an idiot (I used to imitate his stage jump at Backlash 2001 onto bouncy castles across the UK) but I myself started to raise an eyebrow when he ended up feuding with the recently unmasked Kane in 2003. I know Kane has never really been "good" per se, but it seemed like they were going to make him into a super-dominant monster heel after he lost his mask and went into a blind rage, only for them to follow it up with... a Shane McMahon feud, also featuring Vince and Linda, because he didn't fit into the main event scene of Triple H and Goldberg. At the time it made Kane seem a lot less important again after the big shock of him unmasking... though the makeup fail probably didn't help.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Yes and no. He got a promotion to a position that puts him more or less in charge of large-scale, big-vision talent decisions, but takes him off the face-to-face beat he was on.

it's definitely not a promotion. he got demoted to a different executive VP position where he is forced to do more work, and he made a bitter joke about it during his time at the commentary desk because he's a mad dweeb. and it owns. it owns that Triple H was bad at his job and lost it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What are you talking about? HHHs strategy of developing talent by “sign all the famous successful indie talent and then waste them” was a smashing success!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why was the Summerslam 92 card overhauled so much. Watching old episodes of Superstars the feuds by May of 92 are: Bret/HBK, Undertaker/Berserker, Warrior/Papa Shango, Savage/Flair, Nails/Bossman, Tatanka/Martel, Repo Man/Bulldog, Beverley Brothers/Road Warriors.

None of these matches happened at Summerslam 92. I understand Bret/Bulldog for obvious reasons but was there a reason why everything else was changed?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

What are you talking about? HHHs strategy of developing talent by “sign all the famous successful indie talent and then waste them” was a smashing success!

Was that him, or Vince not watching NXT then just bringing them into the main roster with the normal WWE bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are Marshall and Ross Von Erich any good?