Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Shelter-in-place-order-to-slow-coronavirus-15151183.php

San Antonio now must shelter in place also. A lady asked at the press conference how housekeepers, pool cleaners, etc could continue working; the response was a very curt "Anything not explicitly prohib... I mean permitted by the order, is prohibited. Stay home."

quote:

Effective at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, residents in San Antonio and the county’s suburban cities must stay home and only leave their homes to pick up groceries and medicine, get gas or seek health care. Residents can also go outside to run, walk and exercise if they keep their distance from others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1242112557105721351

Man I hope we were ahead of the curve. That's an additional 4k tests since yesterday and the positive/negative ratio has gone down from 5 to 3.5%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HeathMayo/status/1242242903361150976

Do these people realize what these takes are going to look like by the end of the week.

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1242244600137494529

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This person is completely unfamiliar with the entire history and mindset of boomers.

e: oh lol it was Dan Patrick saying that ahahaha I misread. but still lol infinity

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Do these people realize what these takes are going to look like by the end of the week.

Like those Japanese old people walking into Fukushima, but instead they’re just giving everyone corona before dying

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

Do you think they care?

Also lol I haven't noticed any difference where I'm at, except that the grocery stores are way the gently caress too busy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Here's the clip if you want to see it. Words cannot express my hatred for this motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1242245135129346050

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

like 99% of all old people: Uh.....

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ken Paxton trying to use the epidemic to ban abortions:

quote:

Health Care Pro­fes­sion­als and Facil­i­ties, Includ­ing Abor­tion Providers, Must Imme­di­ate­ly Stop All Med­ical­ly Unnec­es­sary Surg­eries and Pro­ce­dures to Pre­serve Resources to Fight COVID-19 Pandemic

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton today warned all licensed health care professionals and all licensed health care facilities, including abortion providers, that, pursuant to Executive Order GA 09 issued by Gov. Greg Abbott, they must postpone all surgeries and procedures that are not immediately medically necessary.

On Saturday, Gov. Abbott issued an executive order that “all licensed health care professionals and all licensed health care facilities shall postpone all surgeries and procedures that are not immediately medically necessary to correct a serious medical condition of, or to preserve the life of, a patient who without immediate performance of the surgery or procedure would be at risk for serious adverse medical consequences or death, as determined by the patient’s physician.” This prohibition applies throughout the State and to all surgeries and procedures that are not immediately medically necessary, including routine dermatological, ophthalmological, and dental procedures, as well as most scheduled healthcare procedures that are not immediately medically necessary such as orthopedic surgeries or any type of abortion that is not medically necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother.

The COVID-19 pandemic has increased demands for hospital beds and has created a shortage of personal protective equipment needed to protect health care professionals and stop transmission of the virus. Postponing surgeries and procedures that are not immediately medically necessary will ensure that hospital beds are available for those suffering from COVID-19 and that PPEs are available for health care professionals. Failure to comply with an executive order issued by the governor related to the COVID-19 disaster can result in penalties of up to $1,000 or 180 days of jail time.

“We must work together as Texans to stop the spread of COVID-19 and ensure that our health care professionals and facilities have all the resources they need to fight the virus at this time,” said Attorney General Paxton. “No one is exempt from the governor’s executive order on medically unnecessary surgeries and procedures, including abortion providers. Those who violate the governor’s order will be met with the full force of the law.”

For information on the spread or treatment of Coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the Texas Department of State Health Services website.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Here's the clip if you want to see it. Words cannot express my hatred for this motherfucker.

Hahaha. You confused, aging, yankee transplant. What are you talking about. If we marched all the olds into the soylent factory we could have the economy back? I mean in the most bizarro abstract fever dream I can imagine what he's trying to say, but that's not how the psychology of business decisions works. You can't walk this back, it's done. Nor will it be sped up because you can't control the timeline of fear on the horizon.

On the other hand, election results will lean in a much better direction if we follow his logic, so I support Lt. Dan fully.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been like an hour and ol Dan is the #2 trending topic on Twitter. Very impressive

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The RGV is mostly on lockdown - Laredo is down for 2 weeks, and Brownsville/Cameron Co. starts at midnight Wednesday. Hidalgo has a curfew beginning tonight at 10:00, but we probably only have a few more days until we're down for the count.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That's uh...that's a hell of a stance.

If they're willing to die to maintain economic stability for their children, you'd think that they'd have consented to mildly inconvenience themselves to stem the tide of climate change or provide healthcare or welfare for their children.

Disregarding of course the fact that dead bodies are also a big drain on the economy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The idea that we'd just have a normal good economy while hospitals are choked with dead and dying people of all ages and people would be fine going out and shopping and going to work in those conditions is loving absurd. There is no good economy while an epidemic exists.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The second there are massive outbreaks all over they will panic and shut everything down again anyways, except it will be even worse. Nevermind the national economy won't be doing well if the entire rest of the world is shut down.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh yeah, supply chain alone is a nightmare right now - and not just from there to here, but within there to there, wherever there is for you.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's uh...that's a hell of a stance.

If they're willing to die to maintain economic stability for their children, you'd think that they'd have consented to mildly inconvenience themselves to stem the tide of climate change or provide healthcare or welfare for their children.

Disregarding of course the fact that dead bodies are also a big drain on the economy.

those dead folks were out of the workforce anyhow, so it's a net positive! It's basically the draft for old people, really

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

was in a chat tonight with non-texan english speakers from around the world. i used the phrase "do what now?" to sound incredulous over something and was called out for sounding like foghorn leghorn or hank hill

i never knew that was a southern phrase lol

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

The idea that we'd just have a normal good economy while hospitals are choked with dead and dying people of all ages and people would be fine going out and shopping and going to work in those conditions is loving absurd. There is no good economy while an epidemic exists.

Killing off ~15% of people on social security/medicare would probably be the massive cut to the last bastion of the American welfare system that both dems and Republicans have been trying to pull off for a few decades now.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

i say swears online posted:

was in a chat tonight with non-texan english speakers from around the world. i used the phrase "do what now?" to sound incredulous over something and was called out for sounding like foghorn leghorn or hank hill

i never knew that was a southern phrase lol

But do you sound like foghorn leghorn?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm fixn' to awraht!?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Badger of Basra posted:

Like those Japanese old people walking into Fukushima, but instead they’re just giving everyone corona before dying

"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the Applebees and become one with all the people."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ReindeerF posted:

I'm fixn' to awraht!?

We briefly lived in Nebraska when I was younger and people were deeply confused by our use of "fixin' to".

My father, despite growing up in Pennsylvania, has somehow found a 'y' and a 'h' in 'wire' in his thirty years of living in Texas.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Heh.

I had a meeting in rural Georgia a whall back and the lady at the local Wendy's referred to the lid for my drink as a "lee-ee-ud." That beat even "owal" for me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Marxalot posted:

But do you sound like foghorn leghorn?

boomhauer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

That beat even "owal" for me.

two syllables

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.texasmonthly.com/podcast/listen-first-episode-boomtown-highway-hell/

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 24, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

FEBRUARY 2020 — BY CHRISTIAN WALLACE

Record-breaking oil production in the Permian Basin has brought the boom to the Big Bend's doorstep for the first time. Is it too late to save this pristine landscape?

lmao rip

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In fairness, they talk about the drawdown in the series, so they're right about the trajectory, but the gap in production meant that the last half dropped right when the Saudis and Russians decided to measure dicks. If it was drawing down then, it's dead now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wish i had a spare $2200 for a white 2017 F150

edit: I'll give you the gas money to drive it off your property

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
OWAL

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CAIN'T SIT HEAH

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

i say swears online posted:

i wish i had a spare $2200 for a white 2017 F150

edit: I'll give you the gas money to drive it off your property

Say what now?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Apparently Harris county is shut down now. I still have not noticed any difference in traffic :v:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Archaeologists in the future will dig up 610 and find it still rush hour packed somehow.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Marxalot posted:

Apparently Harris county is shut down now. I still have not noticed any difference in traffic :v:

Galveston County too, to start at 11:59 tonight, though it sounds like it's basically what everyone's been recommending already:

Galveston Daily News posted:

Under the county’s order, residents may only leave their homes to seek medical care, pick up essential items such as food — for either humans or pets — or household supplies, participate in solitary outdoor recreational activities or to work at an essential business.

Essential businesses include banks and retailers such as grocery stores, gas stations and convenience stores, in addition to healthcare providers, news organizations, restaurants providing takeout, delivery and drive-through services.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Marxalot posted:

https://twitter.com/HarrisCoJudge/status/1242442161410334725

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ReindeerF posted:

In fairness, they talk about the drawdown in the series, so they're right about the trajectory, but the gap in production meant that the last half dropped right when the Saudis and Russians decided to measure dicks. If it was drawing down then, it's dead now.

My grandmother and grandfather had some family land in that area that they sold in the 70s, but they kept the mineral rights. Of course, that didn't do anything for them because there were never any wells. (There was some exploratory drilling in the early 90s around the time of the Gulf War, but it didn't pan out.) My grandfather died about a decade ago. Shortly afterwards they did some fracking on the land and ended up getting a few wells. My grandmother was very excited, and we had one very lux Christmas, but she started developing dementia shortly after. She's made enough money off the wells that she's able to afford a very nice memory care facility, and even if the wells are done she's covered for the rest of her life. The dementia is advanced enough that she can't really take in new information anymore, and even before the 'rona we didn't expect her to make it through the rest of the year, but it's nice for her to have been able to finally become the rich Texas oil woman she always hoped she'd be.

My accent is almost completely gone now, but it was so strong when I was in elementary school that my parents sent me to a speech therapist. Apparently one of the signs of an accent that is too strong is pronouncing "pen" and "pin" exactly the same: PEAN.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Arcella posted:

Galveston County too, to start at 11:59 tonight, though it sounds like it's basically what everyone's been recommending already:

Yeah in fairness I live in Baytown and commute to Deer Park. 99% of the people I fight traffic with are fellow oil dipshits. I really don't know how things have changed since all I've done for the past 2 or 3 weeks is go to work.

At least I have a new VR headset to amuse me :downs:

e: everyone that works at the exxon here and parks their lifted dualie pickup trucks on the railroad tracks should kill themselves. There's my hot take for the thread.

Seriously I can't even feel them in my dumb Focus why do they floor the brakes and crawl over them at 5mph it's so stupid you have a lift kit and mud tires I have a lowered econocar with a turbo what is even going on

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Collin County joining the Shelter In Place club :toot: