Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm having a real hard time not just bringing Cyrus everywhere, nobody else can just delete enemies like him, and with Therion constantly feeding him SP it's extra busted. Does that change later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I'm having a real hard time not just bringing Cyrus everywhere, nobody else can just delete enemies like him, and with Therion constantly feeding him SP it's extra busted. Does that change later?

Nope! He's by far the best character in the game and magic is stupidly powerful. Especially when Primrose uses Peacock Strut on him. I also never took Ophilia out either. She can heal the whole party without using up concoct components.

After I got all the secondary jobs I made Ophilia another mage and it was smooth sailing from there. Physical damage is hard mode until the endgame.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

precision posted:

Cyrus is by far the best character to start with, and he's still really good in the endgame/postgame. Alfyn will eventually overtake him as the best character in the game because his talent is so broken once you've got a surplus of items to let you Concoct in every important battle, and Tressa with Rune Lord will turn every physical attacker into a joke, but Cyrus is just so good at what he does at base that I've never felt the need to switch him out.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Just ran across some enemies in a really low level area that gave me massive exp for Lv20 party. Is this normal?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, sounds like you ran into a Cait. They’re worth a lot of EXP, but are difficult to hit and tend to run away ASAP.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I'm doing Tressa chapter 2, she's level 27 and everyone else is between 16 and 24. Will I just naturally run across the job system or should I go get jobs?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not til chapter 4. They did a really good job with the economy in this game. Money choices were A Thing for a long time.

Counterpoint: Therion, the actual best character (best use for merchant is cheesing adv job fights at low levels), exists and makes money not that important. Even if you don't want to reset often there's a certain town that, after getting the steal boost, has a bunch of end game gear that ends up at like 20% or higher steal rates.

They should've figured out a different mechanism other than rep because they had to know people would just reload saves.

precision posted:

So I'm doing Tressa chapter 2, she's level 27 and everyone else is between 16 and 24. Will I just naturally run across the job system or should I go get jobs?

You should see the job shrine icons on your map when moving to the ch2 areas.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Most of the job shrines are off the beaten path for the pathways leading to Chapter 2 towns. Definitely worth finding a map online and getting them sooner than later, since they open up a shitload of customization and combinations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fighting for the pure and good spirit of Capitalism as Tressa sure is cute

Didn't really have any trouble with her Ch2 boss, even with only one person subclassed (Thief Ophilia for infinite heals).

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Just got the last of the clan together, Primrose, and wow it was a pretty big tone shift with her intro.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I kinda wonder if the only reason this didn’t get slapped with an M rating was because it’s all in cute pixel art.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regalingualius posted:

Most of the job shrines are off the beaten path for the pathways leading to Chapter 2 towns. Definitely worth finding a map online and getting them sooner than later, since they open up a shitload of customization and combinations.

The icons are on your minimap. It's extremely hard to miss them if you don't have tunnel vision.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just made Therion a Scholar and everything is on fire constantly now

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

precision posted:

Just made Therion a Scholar and everything is on fire constantly now

I did that with Tressa and it owned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But Huntress Tressa :3:

I think SE should have Acquire do FFTA3. They are definitely good at making job based systems that are fun to completely break and cute as hell designs for said jobs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like how Tressa and Therion are living in a Terry Pratchett novel and Primrose is in Game of Thrones

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
And Cyrus is basically Miles Edgeworth

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I saw him a bit more like the Cumberbatch version of Sherlock, what with the extreme social unawareness and everyone wanting to gently caress him :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

precision posted:

I saw him a bit more like the Cumberbatch version of Sherlock, what with the extreme social unawareness and everyone wanting to gently caress him :v:

Everyone are very thirsty for Cyrus indeed.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I just did the Carrion Cave. Did I miss something or is it just the one chest after beating the boss?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thinking about double dipping and getting this on PC as it's easier for me to replay it that way currently. Already beat it on Switch except the super final boss I believe. Were any changes/additions made in the port or is it 100% the same?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Fighting for the pure and good spirit of Capitalism as Tressa sure is cute

One of my favorite voice lines in the game is Tressa saying "Thaaaank yoooou!" while she mugs people.

TommyGun85 posted:

Just got the last of the clan together, Primrose, and wow it was a pretty big tone shift with her intro.

I started with Primrose so I got the impression that the game was going to be a lot more grimdark than expected.

precision posted:

But Huntress Tressa :3:

HunTressa!

That's one of the best outfits in the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, the chapter 2 areas and bosses have been really easy so far. I guess I'm just used to exploiting RPG systems but I haven't been anywhere close to losing a fight yet

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

One of my favorite voice lines in the game is Tressa saying "Thaaaank yoooou!" while she mugs people.

"Consider this your...tuition."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Rosalie_A posted:

"Consider this your...tuition."

That's a good one too.

"You should've studied harder" spoken to a group of dead boars and birds is also hilarious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ragequit posted:

Thinking about double dipping and getting this on PC as it's easier for me to replay it that way currently. Already beat it on Switch except the super final boss I believe. Were any changes/additions made in the port or is it 100% the same?

From what I understand the game is identical content-wise, but it runs at 60FPS, supports higher resolutions, and fixes a few things like the stuttering of enemy sprites.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

From what I understand the game is identical content-wise, but it runs at 60FPS, supports higher resolutions, and fixes a few things like the stuttering of enemy sprites.

Well that all sounds great. Running it at 2560x1440 would be baller.

Edit: Now the question is whether I start with Tressa or Cyrus this time. On the Switch I went with Therion to avoid missing any special chests. This is a huge decision.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 25, 2020

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I hope someone mods it so that you’re not locked into the first character you choose until you beat their story. That’s basically the one hurdle stopping me from replaying the game

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Do you have to jave a cwrtain character in your party to fight a boss in the caves? I've done two with bosses and two without so far.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
No, a lot of the side dungeons feel unfinished in general, and many have spots where mini-bosses would obviously be yet there aren't any.

There are a handful though where the boss is unlocked through a side story, but character doesn't matter for those beyond maybe finishing a specific chapter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man this game is long. 35 hours and I still have three Chapter 2s left to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh Jeez, Alfyn ch2 is about poor people dying of a plague

Bad timing :smith:

Edit: I feel so bad about picking that little girl's pocket earlier!

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I really wish the side quests werent so esoteric. In two circumstances; a girl wants to leave her village but cant because of her fathers debts and a guard likes a woman standing across from him....and beating them up is the solution?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TommyGun85 posted:

I really wish the side quests werent so esoteric. In two circumstances; a girl wants to leave her village but cant because of her fathers debts and a guard likes a woman standing across from him....and beating them up is the solution?

I'm glad the rewards for side quests are mostly just money and seeds, so I'm just completing the ones I figure out and ignoring the rest. I like that some of them require a tiny amount of thought.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

TommyGun85 posted:

Basically every side quest has two different solutions, for example I'm pretty sure you can also guide that girl to the desert town instead. It's actually one of the parts of the game I think is pretty cool, even if most players won't notice it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I'm glad the rewards for side quests are mostly just money and seeds, so I'm just completing the ones I figure out and ignoring the rest. I like that some of them require a tiny amount of thought.

Some of the chapter 4 side quests have some extremely good gear as rewards. Definitely do as many as you have the time and interest for.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

Basically every side quest has two different solutions, for example I'm pretty sure you can also guide that girl to the desert town instead. It's actually one of the parts of the game I think is pretty cool, even if most players won't notice it.

Im not sure about that one but I did find one where actually losing a provoke challenge completes the quest. it was unexpected

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally, a JRPG with a good Arena Tournament chapter

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Started playing this game a second time around because this thread got me thinking about it again. Realizing that skipping each character’s “beginning” (and probably 2/3 of the story beats or scenes in general) makes the game so much more enjoyable.

So much of dialogue in the scenes is so pointless and basically unnecessary. Everything moves smoother without them, and I can focus on the combat and the music, which is what makes the game great.

Still better than Dragon Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

minya posted:

Started playing this game a second time around because this thread got me thinking about it again. Realizing that skipping each character’s “beginning” (and probably 2/3 of the story beats or scenes in general) makes the game so much more enjoyable.

So much of dialogue in the scenes is so pointless and basically unnecessary. Everything moves smoother without them, and I can focus on the combat and the music, which is what makes the game great.

Still better than Dragon Quest.

the cutscenes are so sloooooooooooow.