Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Replaced rtabs on the z4m today and installed spacers at the same time. It is definitely less dramatic when I get on it in second now. I didn't realize how bad the "squatting" feeling had gotten. Now tires and alignment on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Diametunim posted:

Man, go for a drive. If you're by yourself and not stopping to interact with people you'll be fine. Do something to put a smile on your face during these times. As a gearhead I know I'll never see this little traffic in the city of austin ever in my lifetime unless this really is the start of The Last of Us. Do the same in your city! Now get away from me.

I was eager to get my E36 back together and go for drives in april since motorsports will be cancelled, then I found out TCKline has no RF struts until at least June so it gets to sit in the garage until then :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bape Culture posted:

good bmw content for u all

:thunk:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are you the glov eguy

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Bape Culture posted:

Are you the glov eguy

A hahahaha best post in this thread

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how we gave all the M2 havers the same avatar so now no one remembers who glove guy is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I like how we gave all the M2 havers the same avatar so now no one remembers who glove guy is.

They're all the glove guy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
We’re all the glove guy. The glove guy is all of us.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m Spartacus the glove guy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Swapping kidney shaped grills for lung shaped ones seems inadvisable during this age

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Doing basically everything on the rear and front of the wagon, subframe bushings, control arms, struts, wheel bearings, CSB, some CV boots

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bape Culture posted:

Are you the glov eguy

No I'm the one with multiple pairs of pumas with matched puma ///Motorsports jackets that lives in the US south.

hitze posted:

Doing basically everything on the rear and front of the wagon, subframe bushings, control arms, struts, wheel bearings, CSB, some CV boots

gods plan (TM)

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
:lmao: post ur ///M pumas

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was going to replace my fuel rail pressure sensor today, but it turns out I have to remove one of the cross brace arms to get one of the engine covers off, and I don' have any torx sockets. I ordered some of those and then also bought a service manual for 20 bucks. The information in the service manual is nice, but it's thousands of pages long, all of the links are removed and it's hard to find anything because there are hundreds of entries of "remove and install *blank*" and you have to guess the exact wording when trying to do a text search. So I guess I'll spend the few days I have until my sockets get here to sort that out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

Swapping kidney shaped grills for lung shaped ones seems inadvisable during this age

its getting on towards alfa shield style only really ugly

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

hitze posted:

I see a lot of this in my future when I decide to to rod bearings. After doing suspension and ball joint work on my Miata for the past two weekends I am seriously dreading this upcoming task. Thankfully I don't need to do it for a little while.

Your wagon is going to handle like a dream once you're done.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Something loose in block, should be $50 max to fix, I've just been too busy to do it."

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Condition: Excellent

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ain’t no BMW like a cheap 7 series

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

2012 BMW 750 Li *Needs LS1*

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

beanieson posted:

2012 BMW 750 Li *Needs LS1*

*paging doctor Bape Culture to ward 3, paging doctor Bape Culture to ward 3*

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

What likely happened here is the owner was driving down the road and heard a bad noise and maybe got some warning lights/chimes. Car got towed to a mechanic and they started it and told the owner what they've got posted, but the owner didn't pay for diagnosis so no one really knows what happened.

It's probably bad. You should be able to get something similar for not much more. Low priced running 2012's are 13-18k, which you'd probably be at after repairing that one.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I say everyone here should buy a salvage title/blown engine 7 or 8 series once in their lifetime, or they're not living

Me, I bought an M3 with a V8. my car starts, my hands are gloveless, my car is 'fully assembled', and I do burnouts

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650557&page=3

Fuuuck this keeps dropping. I'm supposed to go to a wedding in Asheville in a few weeks and may need to check this out, although the fact that people seem to keep bailing on him after seeing it is worrying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something loose, maybe a rod bearing, prolly just needs to be tightened

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

Fuuuck this keeps dropping. I'm supposed to go to a wedding in Asheville in a few weeks and may need to check this out, although the fact that people seem to keep bailing on him after seeing it is worrying.

I wouldn't buy anything right now. That seller is getting especially boned because of the accident followed by this craziness, but we have no idea what's going to happen to the "value" of cars, houses, etc. My prediction, though, is that it's going to be a serious buyers market after people spend their government checks in the first month.

EZ fix. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

i'm guessing the owner is a dickhead, he gives me dickhead vibes from his post

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

FWIW from the posts it seems like people are bailing before even seeing it in person

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i'm guessing the owner is a dickhead, he gives me dickhead vibes from his post

100% this

but it still looks like a nice car for 20k

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
The Calipers I got from RockAuto are silver, on the website they were black :arghfist: and RockAuto doesn't have customer service. Now it looks like I'm going to have to order a set of re-manufactured rears and hope they they show up in silver. Can't be running around out here with a set of silver front calipers and a set of black rear calipers.

Does anyone know of a company that will ship out black re-manufactured calipers for the e46 m3? All of the major parts sites I've looked at show the remans in silver which makes sense but I'm really hoping to find someone who refinishes them in black.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Diametunim posted:

The Calipers I got from RockAuto are silver, on the website they were black :arghfist: and RockAuto doesn't have customer service. Now it looks like I'm going to have to order a set of re-manufactured rears and hope they they show up in silver. Can't be running around out here with a set of silver front calipers and a set of black rear calipers.

Does anyone know of a company that will ship out black re-manufactured calipers for the e46 m3? All of the major parts sites I've looked at show the remans in silver which makes sense but I'm really hoping to find someone who refinishes them in black.

Just slap on some caliper paint? Takes like 20 minutes total.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKTTX4M/ref=twister_B00YLGTH1M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Just slap on some caliper paint? Takes like 20 minutes total.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKTTX4M/ref=twister_B00YLGTH1M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As usual the answer is staring me in the face. Thanks for the suggestion man.

e: would it look dumb if I sprayed the calipers in black and then masked the caliper and sprayed the M logo on the caliper in white?

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 24, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Diametunim posted:

As usual the answer is staring me in the face. Thanks for the suggestion man.

e: would it look dumb if I sprayed the calipers in black and then masked the caliper and sprayed the M logo on the caliper in white?

You could also carefully grind/sand the black paint off the M logo assuming it's slightly raised. If it's recessed painting it is probably easier, just use a small detail brush. Worst case it looks dump and you toss black paint on it then pretend it never happened.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just get it dirty if it’s some lovely cast oem thing. You’ll not see a difference in a couple of weeks

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ether Frenzy posted:

I say everyone here should buy a salvage title/blown engine 7 or 8 series once in their lifetime, or they're not living
I've always wanted to buy a cheap V12 of some sort just for the sake of checking off "owned a V12" on my car guy bucket list but with the assumption that it'd get LSed at some point.

The question has always been what's the newest one I can get that's unreliable enough to be cheap and simple enough from a chassis electronics standpoint that an engine swap is a practical idea while still having a reliable chassis/suspension.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

XJS maybe? they're pretty simple in terms of chassis electronics, the actual platform is solid outside of the electronics.

it definitely checks the unreliability box. at one point they had a Hydramatic and later on a 4L80Eso it should be easily adaptable to GM bolt patterns.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 24, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

wolrah posted:

I've always wanted to buy a cheap V12 of some sort just for the sake of checking off "owned a V12" on my car guy bucket list but with the assumption that it'd get LSed at some point.

The question has always been what's the newest one I can get that's unreliable enough to be cheap and simple enough from a chassis electronics standpoint that an engine swap is a practical idea while still having a reliable chassis/suspension.

Buy that 7 series, chop it into a ute. Drive it until that engine and everything associated with it fail then swap it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

I wouldn't buy anything right now. That seller is getting especially boned because of the accident followed by this craziness, but we have no idea what's going to happen to the "value" of cars, houses, etc. My prediction, though, is that it's going to be a serious buyers market after people spend their government checks in the first month.

Yeah, I hear you. This went annoyingly high:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-m3-sedan-competition-package-6-speed/

Should have just listened to everyone and bought this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-28/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I hear you. This went annoyingly high:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-m3-sedan-competition-package-6-speed/

Should have just listened to everyone and bought this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-m3-28/
Nah, gently caress a DCT. If you're going to buy an M3, buy one with three pedals.