Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beast Pussy posted:

Are there any good RPGs focused on city building? With my group split up, I was thinking about trying to focus on them building up the town around their castle. Anything with rules for trading and conflict with other societies would be cool.
Reign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Splicer posted:

There's two reasons.
1 is because you start pulling threads:

"Obviously everyone should get an expertise bonus instead of it being a feat tax.
Now I think of it though, just bake expertise into the progression.
But we included inherent bonuses from dark sun, so now out of 29 +numbers only the 4 or 5 from ability scores are even theoretically variable.
OK it's decided, we're ditching ability scores, numbergoups are entirely based on your class and level. Now to check out the other feat taxes.
Actually... feats in general... I was thinking..."

2 is because, even ignoring this, a 4e-alike requires actual work. You can't relegate half the classes to a quarter page of vaguely worded "get +1d6 every time the die comes up fart".

Yeah, exactly this. I made Strike! initially as a 4e retroclone for a thread contest here, and as the threads got pulled it all got unraveled and needed to be knitted back together again.

Things in 4e are built on each other (which is good design!), and that means that when you remove some stuff the other parts don't work properly and need to be rebuilt. Which is, from experience, a heck of a lot of work!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's still strange to me that people who I know should know better have that weird "I can't do what I could do in 3.5 in 4E" notion.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Do we have a GO thread? Traditional Chinese game with various rules, according to various countries. It's insanely deep and simple and awesome and in South Korea they start children as young as 3 in GO camps so they can become world champs. I'm 31 and just started playing and am playing with my 5 year old whom is just now starting to show his strategic side, which is insanely cool. However, we drat near filled a (rather large sized board), and have a conundrum. Who won? Also, check out Netflix theres a cool doc on the game of GO. Here's a photo.

My theory is that we have missed a few key moves, and possibly made a few suicides, which are illegal, and just didn't catch or notice them somehow.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SunAndSpring posted:

Really wish it wasn't, since I've never much liked PBTA. It seems endemic to the whole system that the GM is more of a janitor that occasionally cleans up around the edges of the plot, and the playbooks (true to their namesake) exist to do repetitions of already existing things. The whole XP system always seem to be based around hitting stock plot points associated with the archetype you've entered, and it gets really ridiculous when you get into the stuff far closer to the media that inspired it. At least in Spire, the archetypes are fairly fresh and exciting; stuff like Masks really wants you to do an episode of Teen Titans and Monsterhearts puts every fiber of its being into emulating fantasy paperbacks that people buy at airports right before their trip. Coupling that with the fan base having the same problem GURPS people do where they consider it the panacea to all RPG problems and it really makes for a really irritating atmosphere here where if you ask for any recommendations, someone is immediately going to put forth some sort of dime-a-dozen PBTA hack that roughly matches the genre of what you're asking for, and I'd rather just play a system that lets me do my own thing instead of being the 1000th iteration of "The Lawbringer" and gaining my precious experience points by going, "Oh, and one more thing," before I leave a scene because the developer saw that in a show once and loved it.

Sincere and not douchey question : what PbtA games have you played? This doesn't sound like any of the ones I've played.

Also, yeah, it's a machine based on emulating (certain) genres. It's good at that? I'm not following. It's very different from some universalist system because of the whole intent of it.

Certainly there are some pretty crap implementations of it, but I'm not following this as a criticism so I'd love some elaboration.

interwhat posted:

Do we have a GO thread? Traditional Chinese game with various rules, according to various countries. It's insanely deep and simple and awesome and in South Korea they start children as young as 3 in GO camps so they can become world champs. I'm 31 and just started playing and am playing with my 5 year old whom is just now starting to show his strategic side, which is insanely cool. However, we drat near filled a (rather large sized board), and have a conundrum. Who won? Also, check out Netflix theres a cool doc on the game of GO. Here's a photo.

My theory is that we have missed a few key moves, and possibly made a few suicides, which are illegal, and just didn't catch or notice them somehow.

I personally hate go but I know there's a pretty active thread over in Ask/Tell ; no idea about anything here. Good luck and happy gaming! It's cute you're getting your son into that early, my dad did it with chess but I get it.

(Why do you capitalize it all the time?)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Another problem with cloning 4e is you specifically don't want to copy the expression of a mechanic- i.e. you can copy mechanics* but not the actual rules text- but 4e's written in a very clear concise style and sometimes it feels like the only way to avoid duplication is to not be clear.

*As far as current rulings seem to indicate, etc. Of course Wizards could sue for anything if they felt like it, but I am getting the impression that Hasbro sees D&D as being more about the IP- beholders, mind flayers, The Tomb of Horrors, etc.- than any particular rules.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My apologies to the thread and posters herein for how I acted a week ago. Regardless of how I feel about the issue, I was incorrect to drag it back up here, and my punishment was justified.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I saw a trad game goon's Twitter post recently and I would like to clarify sone things for them especially since it will matter to most independent creators. My explanation is too long for Twitter but I know that there be reading this thread eventually.

Self-employment tax has been around since 1951. It is payroll taxes i.e. social security and medicare tax. Normally, when you work for someone, they take half of payroll tax out of your paycheck and they match it every quarter when filing their 941. When you have no employer, you pay both halves and this is called "self-employment tax." It is taxed on your net profits of your schedule C, which is where you record a unincorporated or disregarded business entity. It has remained at 15.3% for over thirty years, though it was temporarily reduced for two years in the early '10s. There is a cap on it called FICA Cap. In 2019, FICA cap was $132,900. This means anything over that is not subject to social security tax. Medicare tax is unlimited and you actually pay additional medicare tax once your taxable income exceeds $250,000. If you are going to work for yourself, you should know once you make $600, you are subject to self-employment tax. There are ways to legally minimize the tax through entity planning but it comes with added administrative costs and legal requirements. This is why I usually tell people not to consider those until their profit is at least $60,000 as the added admin costs outweigh the tax savings. You should try to be proactive in regards to it as it is taxed on top of your ordinary income after all adjustments, deductions, and non-refundable credits. Estimated payments, for example, is one method. This is why I suggest getting a good accountant who is an expert on businesses and willing to hold your hand. Even a simple June meeting to discuss projected income and expenses and their related taxes can make life easier and, for example, I usually do such consultations for free.

On the subject, I find it weird that the trad goon was told that self-employment tax was invented by recently. What's more likely is that the trad goons profits were smaller in prior years and thus they received an earned income credit. The earned income credit is a refundable tax credit essentially created to help low income taxpayers and to encourage them to work by making it so they don't pay tax based on their income and number of dependents. As it is refundable, that means it adds to your refund even when taxes are zero and goes against self-employment tax. This also means that it is additional money that the government is giving you. Usually, your tax refund is just a deferment of your own wages. Refundable credits is the government giving you money. With the EIC, the trad goon likely owed less and may have even received a refund in some years. Without kids, a $34,000 profit would not allow for a EIC. It sounds like the accountant took some expenses but they still ultimately ended up owed quite a sum.

Why the accountant would tell the trad goon a lie about the nature of the tax is odd. Perhaps the accountant didn't know? Perhaps the accountant knew but was afraid of getting trad goon mad? It all just seems a little weird. I usually go through things line by line with my clients and explain everything before they sign for it. I also find it odd that they just gave them that figure in the call. Perhaps there was some discussion, but I usually chat with them a bit to see if there were expenses they could take that they were unaware of. Though, to be fair, such discussions could have occurred and the trad goon could have misunderstood, I suppose. Still, seems odd.

I say all this for two reasons: I believe understanding can help one better prepare and rationalize things and because I think its important to know so you can better speak with your experts. Oh, also Because I know the person post here and I'm hoping that I can help them out a little bit.

Source: I am a tax accountant who used to work for one of the biggest accounting firms in the world and specalizes in business taxation and tax planning.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

interwhat posted:

As a GO novice who hasn't played in years, my main piece of advice would be don't play novice against novice on a regulation board since it's basically impossible for novices to discern what fights are practical to pursue. Mark off 9 by 9 or 11 by 11 to start out.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sincere and not douchey question : what PbtA games have you played? This doesn't sound like any of the ones I've played.

Also, yeah, it's a machine based on emulating (certain) genres. It's good at that? I'm not following. It's very different from some universalist system because of the whole intent of it.

Certainly there are some pretty crap implementations of it, but I'm not following this as a criticism so I'd love some elaboration.

I personally hate go but I know there's a pretty active thread over in Ask/Tell ; no idea about anything here. Good luck and happy gaming! It's cute you're getting your son into that early, my dad did it with chess but I get it.

(Why do you capitalize it all the time?)

NO IDEA but it seems common to do so. Thanks for the referral, I knew this was the way to go.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

DalaranJ posted:

As a GO novice who hasn't played in years, my main piece of advice would be don't play novice against novice on a regulation board since it's basically impossible for novices to discern what fights are practical to pursue. Mark off 9 by 9 or 11 by 11 to start out.

Solid advice. It was a gift idea for the missus, who, has yet to actually play with me. It's a really interesting game, and I feel more responsible as a parent, exposing my kid to something beyond the norm.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dawgstar posted:

It's still strange to me that people who I know should know better have that weird "I can't do what I could do in 3.5 in 4E" notion.

Because you can't, in terms of some things having firm mechanical backing that in 4e would be relegated entirely to story. It's not a good thing that there is rules and crunch space, somewhere, for building a character with a pet that's stronger than them, or throwing the entire planet at someone, or enforcing utmost love and respect because of how high you just jumped, but 3.5 provides rules text for those out of its incoherent nature, and some people want rules text to prompt them or assure them that their bold narrative moves are valid within the system, either because they're not confident in writing, or because they've been conditioned to expect the table taking an inquisitorial attitude towards characters being cool.

It's a cultural problem from a different angle, is the thing. They're smart enough to know better, which means they're smart enough to have picked up on patterns that they've seen and follow them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

interwhat posted:

See how the white pieces on the top left and top right don't have any liberties? Those white pieces are captured. Same with the black pieces on the left. In general you don't fill sections of a Go board, because you earn points by having territory surrounded without having pieces on it. Were that a legal layout (it ain't, something should be captured) then black would have 32 points and white would have 0, plus whatever points they earned from capturing other pieces.

Go rules, but you should deffo start at 9x9 or 13x13.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Beast Pussy posted:

Are there any good RPGs focused on city building? With my group split up, I was thinking about trying to focus on them building up the town around their castle. Anything with rules for trading and conflict with other societies would be cool.

Goblinville ! it's as much about building up the town as broke goblins trying to make money and not die. I did an F&F not too long ago, it's in the archive.

interwhat posted:

You've got a couple of dead groups; the big black group on the left, and the white group in the top left corner for example. They aren't connected to a group with an open space along a line between points. See the example here under Strings.

I'll second the recommendation to play several games at 9x9 or 11x11 to get the feel for the rules. 19x19 is amazingly difficult to get your head around, especially in the opening. get comfy at 13x13 and then make the big jump.

Go rules. Play Go.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've played Blades and Spire, and have read a few of the others. I don't like the genre emulation so much because it's very rote and feels like I'm painting by the numbers. It was especially prevalent in Masks when I read it, since it's just so glaringly obvious where each playbook is cribbing from that it becomes boring. There's so little room to make a playbook your own, and I just find that baffling to do in a story game. You figure you'd want something more classless and less "I AM THE BURGER FLIPPER, I HAVE THE MOVE "GRILL THE HAMBURGER" BY DEFAULT AND MAY GAIN ONE OF FIVE TOTAL MOVES WHEN I HIT MY EXPERIENCE LIMIT".

Also they all seem way too loving risk-free, which is just dull. Blades and Spire both had the problem for me running it where nothing I could do mattered because the nature of the game necessitated teamwork and when everyone does the logical thing and specs towards the area their playbook wants them to excel in, no amount of fiddling with the consequence level or whatever mattered. They'd always wind up rolling 5-6 on their handful of dice and thus do everything with little-to-no consequences for it, which negates the whole promise of the system in that sometimes the characters have to take a blow themselves in order to deal a blow to their foes. The goofy FFG Star Wars game with the funny dice does this better since at least there's always a chance of the bad luck symbols popping up on a roll and outnumbering your good luck symbols on the dice so that something exciting like a weapon jamming after a great shot or an alarm being tripped after popping open a safe; once you start tossing 4+ dice at a problem in a PBTA game, the situation is solved already, especially in the mainline ones where the GM doesn't determine the level of effect that a particular action has.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So thanks to them screwing up my Doom Eternal order(it was missing the preorder content), I've currently got a 20 dollar credit for Amazon, I'm thinking about buying something RPG related with it when I next get paid, currently contemplating the RuneQuest Glorantha set, but I'm open to other suggestions too

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There are some publishers who do their POD through Amazon. The only games I can think of are Basic Fantasy and White Box: FMAG, both being sold at-cost, but I'm sure there are some others.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Like Tingleverse.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

Also they all seem way too loving risk-free, which is just dull. Blades and Spire both had the problem for me running it where nothing I could do mattered because the nature of the game necessitated teamwork and when everyone does the logical thing and specs towards the area their playbook wants them to excel in, no amount of fiddling with the consequence level or whatever mattered. They'd always wind up rolling 5-6 on their handful of dice and thus do everything with little-to-no consequences for it, which negates the whole promise of the system in that sometimes the characters have to take a blow themselves in order to deal a blow to their foes.

My last Blades game was loving brutal on the PCs.

The final session started with two PCs on 3 trauma, one on 2 trauma, and one former PC as a hungry ghost just barely animating a malfunctioning clockwork spider. It ended with one PC dead, one who lost everything and gave up, one who grabbed power right before the city got destroyed, and the reveal that when you die you're really gone and the ghost is just an echo of your rage and pain.

I can see that if you had players making rational game decisions and sticking to the plan it'd probably play out differently, but this group leaned into the vice/trauma stuff real hard and nobody was really playing optimally as a group. So while we were competent as individuals, we were really playing a group of loosely connected villains who's goals happened to coincide rather than an elite cohesive team. And that drove drama and bad decisions, like "gently caress it, I'm killing this guy" (or not killing this guy) regardless of what the agreed-upon plan may have been.

I mean, we "won" a lot, I guess? We supplied drugs, owned clubs, took over the district, and lived very large for a year or two. I guess even if we'd for-real won the game and it'd ended without the apocalypse (or the death and re-death of my character), my feelings about the ending would have been "but did we really win?" because I'm not sure the characters we were playing for the endgame were even capable of being happy any more.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 24, 2020

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:toot:

Dishonored the RPG has been released by Modiphius

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307505/Dishonored-The-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook

Also Free League Publishing is reducing the price of all of their core books by 50% for a limited time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mutantyearzero/comments/fo4x0c/all_free_league_corebooks_now_50_off_at/

DriveThru Link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/11437/Free-League-Publishing

These Core books include: Alien, Forbidden Lands, Tales from the Loop, Tales from the Flood, Mutant Year Zero (all of them), Symbaroum and Corilolis

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy poo poo that was fast on the heels of their announcement. Much respect to them for presumably getting most of the way through development before teasing the release.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
$20 is cheap for a corebook.

Curious how the game actually is. I can't imagine it's a particularly good fit for the IP since it doesn't seem to have any particular thematic focus.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mister Olympus posted:

Because you can't, in terms of some things having firm mechanical backing that in 4e would be relegated entirely to story. It's not a good thing that there is rules and crunch space, somewhere, for building a character with a pet that's stronger than them, or throwing the entire planet at someone, or enforcing utmost love and respect because of how high you just jumped, but 3.5 provides rules text for those out of its incoherent nature, and some people want rules text to prompt them or assure them that their bold narrative moves are valid within the system, either because they're not confident in writing, or because they've been conditioned to expect the table taking an inquisitorial attitude towards characters being cool.

It's a cultural problem from a different angle, is the thing. They're smart enough to know better, which means they're smart enough to have picked up on patterns that they've seen and follow them.

3.5 gives spellcasters such a broad range of options that you can assemble a mechanical-narrative model of almost any character concept you want, as long as they're magical, which is not something you can do in 4E.

That said, I'll say what I always say when this topic comes up: if you want that, you should be playing Mage: The Awakening, not D&D. :v:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

$20 is cheap for a corebook.

Curious how the game actually is. I can't imagine it's a particularly good fit for the IP since it doesn't seem to have any particular thematic focus.

:shrug: Someone want to bite the bullet, buy the book and do a Fatal and Friends on it?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wow. More deals :toot:

PDF deals from Modiphius

quote:

For those who just want to pick up a PDF here's a code to use to get 10% discount on PDF's - just use TOGETHER at the checkout in the coupon code box (you can use it multiple times). If you want to go big, use the code PDFME which will get you a whopping 40% off if you spend £50 or more on PDF's. Remember that means you'll be just paying £30 for £50 worth of PDF's :-)

PDF link: https://www.modiphius.net/collections/pdfs

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dishonored the RPG has been released by Modiphius

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307505/Dishonored-The-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook

Also Free League Publishing is reducing the price of all of their core books by 50% for a limited time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mutantyearzero/comments/fo4x0c/all_free_league_corebooks_now_50_off_at/

DriveThru Link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/11437/Free-League-Publishing

These Core books include: Alien, Forbidden Lands, Tales from the Loop, Tales from the Flood, Mutant Year Zero (all of them), Symbaroum and Corilolis

Gonna pick up Dishonored, but I'd also like to hear people talk about the FLP library. It's kinda hard to sift through all the stuff they have and determine what's really good. Alien looks like an easy sell to me, but I don't know if it's any fun. Things from the Flood also stood out, I've heard good stuff (I think) about Mutant Year Zero, but wouldn't know where to start. Failing a quick rundown, any reviews that you find accurate are also appreciated.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll definitely check out the Dishonored RPG at some point (soon-ish). Dunno if I can pull off a whole F&F writeup though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SunAndSpring posted:

Also they all seem way too loving risk-free, which is just dull. Blades and Spire both had the problem for me running it where nothing I could do mattered because the nature of the game necessitated teamwork and when everyone does the logical thing and specs towards the area their playbook wants them to excel in, no amount of fiddling with the consequence level or whatever mattered.
In BitD you know you can only resist a consequence once, right? And that depending on the severity of said consequence that even a successful resistance roll doesn't fully mitigate it? This is most mechanically obviously true of damage, but applies to other consequences as well. A 5 is still a "success with consequence" and depending on the starting condition that can range from "somewhat inconvenient" to "oh poo poo, hope you didn't need that arm."

Similarly, speccing your character out to be super-dope at your one thing is OK, but you can't even push a skill to a base of 4 dice until you make the (significant and painful) advance to give your entire gang the "Mastery" advance. Even then, group actions are a huge stress-faucet for the guy with the pro skill (yeah, you can Prowl like nobody's business, but what about your chucklehead Leech friend whose put all his points in Tinker and Wreck? All he's gonna do is add stress to you every time you have to sneak anywhere). And if you widen your skill points out, sure, it means you're better at resisting consequences but it has the flip-side of meaning you overindulge your vices like a mofo - or you don't indulge at all in order to keep that from happening, in which case you're carrying around a ton of stress and don't want to push yourself/resist because you're afraid you're going to trauma out.

But if you just take the dice mechanics as written and don't understand the underlying principles upon which the game operates, yes, you will think it is dull and not challenging. This is why I keep telling people who want to run these games to get and actually read Apocalypse World. "I've been running RPGs for years, I know what I'm doing" is not sufficient.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Gee, it sure would be great if the book told me how to run it in the book I got instead of making me find another book to learn how to play it. That'd be swell!

God, it's so loving flimsy and in the air, I'd rather just have a decent framework for designing an encounter than the "eh just eyeball it" poo poo PBTA stuff wants me to do.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Chakan posted:

Gonna pick up Dishonored

Thank you for doing the needful.

Chakan posted:

, but I'd also like to hear people talk about the FLP library. It's kinda hard to sift through all the stuff they have and determine what's really good. Alien looks like an easy sell to me, but I don't know if it's any fun. Things from the Flood also stood out, I've heard good stuff (I think) about Mutant Year Zero, but wouldn't know where to start. Failing a quick rundown, any reviews that you find accurate are also appreciated.

Alien vs Mothership

Alien, as you know, is based on the movie with Fria Ligans' patented D6 system.

Mothership is produced by Tuesday Knight games and is...

quote:

a sci-fi horror roleplaying game where you and your crew try to survive in the most inhospitable environment in the universe: outer space! You'll excavate dangerous derelict spacecraft, explore strange unknown worlds, exterminate hostile alien life, and examine the horrors that encroach upon your every move. Choose from one of four classes: Teamsters, Scientists, Androids and Marines.

Mothership is also in Alpha and found here:

http://www.tuesdayknightgames.com/mothership

Alien and Mothership draw from the same sources, so I asked Roleplaying Public Radio's Ross Payton what he though since he has GMed both gaming systems.

RPPR plays Mothership: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2019/07/genre/horror/mothership-the-audit/

RPPR plays Alien: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2019/12/systems/misc/alien-rpg/alien-rpg-chariot-of-the-gods-part-1/

Ross said,

quote:

Basically Alien has better rules and Mothership has a more original aesthetic. I like the supplements for Mothership a lot, but i would run them with Alien RPG rules. ... Mothership supplements are better for a longer term game.

For a more in depth analysis, Ross and the RPPR crew discuss the pros and cons of the systems here: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2019/12/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-173-alien-rpg-breakdown/

I'll opine about Mutant Year Zero (the Core book) a bit later.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 24, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Chakan posted:

Gonna pick up Dishonored, but I'd also like to hear people talk about the FLP library. It's kinda hard to sift through all the stuff they have and determine what's really good. Alien looks like an easy sell to me, but I don't know if it's any fun. Things from the Flood also stood out, I've heard good stuff (I think) about Mutant Year Zero, but wouldn't know where to start. Failing a quick rundown, any reviews that you find accurate are also appreciated.

I'd also like to know most of these things, but I have M:YZ.

It's okay. I neither love nor dislike it. I would turn to Apocalypse World first for my post-apoc adventures, then Gamma World, and then M:YZ. It's the crunchiest of the systems I've listed, and sometimes you want a good crunchy game. It's less complex than a Fragged game, for instance, though by that same token not as tactically robust if you're in it for the gameplay of the Mutant PC game.

The biggest complaint I have about any of the Mutant series is that GenLab Alpha seemed weirdly biotruthy for a game about playing a bunch of freakish mutants. Not in a weird regressive way, just a lot of "if your character is X kind of hosed up animal, they will do Y." :shrug:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SunAndSpring posted:

Gee, it sure would be great if the book told me how to run it in the book I got instead of making me find another book to learn how to play it. That'd be swell!
There are two parallel problems here. First, you are absolutely correct that many of the follow-on hacks do a terrible job of explaining how they should be run. I'd count Blades as "decent," but it has a host of other glaring issues (like leaving a lot of filling in the world's detail up to the GM and players without explicitly telling them where or how). But second, a whole lot of people just don't loving read. You could have no experience with these kinds of games, pick up the book for BitD, and run a pretty sweet game if you followed the actual direction of how to play the game. But people don't seem to want to do that, and as a result most of the criticisms stem form fundamental misunderstandings of how the game actually works - not because it's not explained, but because it wasn't read or comprehended. Because people bring in their preconceived notions of what it means to "run a game" and never realize that it's not that.

I think I get how the 4E stans feel.

SunAndSpring posted:

God, it's so loving flimsy and in the air, I'd rather just have a decent framework for designing an encounter than the "eh just eyeball it" poo poo PBTA stuff wants me to do.
But that's just the thing, it's not "in the air." And the fact that you're talking about "designing an encounter" implies to me that you don't even get how/why it's different. Designed encounters are explicitly not how "play to find out" works.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Chakan posted:

Symbaroum is pretty neat

Helical Nightmares posted:

Thank you for doing the needful.

Alien vs Mothership

Alien, as you know, is based on the movie with Fria Ligans' patented D6 system.

Mothership is produced by Tuesday Knight games and is...

Mothership is also in Alpha and found here:

http://www.tuesdayknightgames.com/mothership

Alien and Mothership draw from the same sources, so I asked Roleplaying Public Radio's Ross Payton what he though since he has GMed both gaming systems.

RPPR plays Mothership: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2019/07/genre/horror/mothership-the-audit/

RPPR plays Alien: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2019/12/systems/misc/alien-rpg/alien-rpg-chariot-of-the-gods-part-1/

Ross said,

For a more in depth analysis, Ross and the RPPR crew discuss the pros and cons of the systems here: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2019/12/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-173-alien-rpg-breakdown/

I'll opine about Mutant Year Zero (the Core book) a bit later.

Personally I think the Mothership rules are great, but a little light in parts, but since it's basically an OSR game that just means one can shore up some of the more incomplete parts with those from another game

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I think the Mothership rules are great, but a little light in parts, but since it's basically an OSR game that just means one can shore up some of the more incomplete parts with those from another game
dude

Xiahou Dun posted:

Your solution to everything is to bolt some poo poo onto an OSR system. I figure you try to unclog your toilet with an old copy of the Red Box.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, as near as I can figure any system which involves rolling one or more dice is "OSR" to drrockso. I don't even know what he means by the term anymore.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 24, 2020

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: Blogging, for my D&D-inspired clone (The Next Project) continues!

Final post for the month of March is now live :)

One of the big changes I'm looking to implement is a huge, foundational shift in the mechanics of class dice -- in short, giving most of the classes 2 dice to use, instead of just 1.
It's a fairly long post (to help you pass the time, in quarantine) and while I've settled on a particular loadout for now, it may yet see some tweaking, once design and development gets rolling again in earnest -- so it's still a really good time to get in your feedback and suggestions.

As always, all somethingawful forum goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord server; I try to give a little bit of a heads-up about future posts (early access, ish) to the Discord goons, as well as it being the place I generally go to when looking for suggestions on design stuff, or what to blog about next.

Thanks!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sure wish more people would recruit for games during this crisis, I'm so bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hell, if I had time I'd run Vampire Dark Ages or Wraith game. However I'm up to my eyeballs in code. :shrug: