Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MikeCrotch posted:

Buy more cycles before getting Return, the Return products are by all accounts the worst value for money in the game. Not bad, just get them after you have everything else

Hard disagree from me here, the longboxes with encounter card dividers are pretty much worth the price of admission alone - they make setup and teardown so quick that I actually play AH every so often now rather than just buying packs for it, plus a a lot of the fixes and tweaks are really necessary (especially for Dunwich, in my opinion). While there aren't many player cards in them, that's not really the thrust of the package - and the ones that are in there are generally very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I use a different storage solution to the longboxes so ymmv on that as a selling point I suppose

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

I don't really need the box, as I have my own storage solution, but I'm interested in what are the fixes and tweaks like?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kalko posted:

Weaver of the Cosmos player cards have been spoiled, apparently due to a mix-up with some Australian stores, [checks online] including mine! Where the Gods Dwell was supposed to be the next pack.

So, Abigail Foreman is, um, very good. I like the upgraded Scavenging but it's been a while since I've played that archetype. Still, action compression is always worth a look. And I'm definitely going to be making a jank Sawed-Off Shotgun deck.

Don't know who would really use her besides Daisy (she's a powerhouse on Daisy tho). Mind's Eye would be interesting if it wasn't double arcane (first of it's kind! and double arcane was mentioned in the initial rulebook!). And I'm with you on liking upgraded Scavenging but not really knowing where it would fit in (Preston maybe?). Sawed-off Shotgun is a hard pass for me though-5 xp is comically overcosted. Honestly I don't know if I'd take it at 0xp. Maybe Leo but even then it's iffy. No attack bonus and only 2 shots? And it's 3 resources? I also kinda like the upgraded Joey the Rat (is he the first upgraded unique ally?), but not sure where he'd fit in with rogues already having an abundance of good allies (you can make a really janky combo with him and new scavenging and cherished keepsake/leather jacket though. Get 2 free money for each investigate! Or combine with burglary for tons of cash!).

All in all there's some powerful stuff in the pack but I'm not sure how much will actually see play.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Three Aces + Double or Nothing is a 12-damage shot out of Sefina, who is probably the best candidate for such a (dumb/amazing) deck.

Spritz3
May 3, 2009
I think there is potential for an investigation focused Agnes who Scavenges Grotesque Statues. She would have the option to recur Rosaries for horror soak or make her blasted signature useful by returning it to hand for icons.

For Minh, Scavenging's traditional user, Disc of Itzamna seems like the best target for Scavenging (2).

Mind's Eye is probably best in Patrice; I don't know if it is more use than the alternatives.

Nightmare Bauble might be worth a try in Dark Horse decks that can't use Eucatastrophe, but it does get worse in higher difficulties where there are more tokens with monstrous modifiers that aren't the tentacle.

And I could see myself taking Spiritual Resolve late in a campaign if I'm very worried about damage of horror (probably horror) but 5 experience and 3 deck slots is a hefty cost

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My fiance and I have been playing Marvel Champions, and I showed her the Shut Up & Sit Down review of this game and now she wants to try it even though I told her it's much less forgiving. She wants to play as Daisy. I'd want to play as Agnes because I loved her mechanics when I was playing the core set a bunch in 2016, but obviously there's some overlap in the Mystic cards. Is that enough of a problem that I should try Wendy instead? The only Mystic cards I have in her deck are 2x each of Scrying and the treachery counterspell for 1 horror, whatever it's called, but those are cards I'd want in Agnes's deck. Just from looking over the core set cards, Mystics really care about Mystic cards more than any other class cares about their own. I have two core sets but I forgot how dumb it was that they only gave you one copy of most cards.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

You probably could if you build Daisy purely for clues and Agnes for combat, but I like running Shrivelling + Rosary (or other similar boosts) on Daisy to ensure she's not completely helpless. There's some other combat options in stuff outside the core set for Daisy if you have that, which makes Daisy + Agnes more reasonable.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

alansmithee posted:

Joey the Rat (is he the first upgraded unique ally?)

How dare you forget both the Big Man on Campus and the Louisiana Lion!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

How dare you forget both the Big Man on Campus and the Louisiana Lion!

I'm gonna give myself a pass on not remembering Leo since I've probably not upgraded him since the first deluxe expansion came out, but I'll take my lumps over forgetting Peter.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

alansmithee posted:

I'm gonna give myself a pass on not remembering Leo since I've probably not upgraded him since the first deluxe expansion came out, but I'll take my lumps over forgetting Peter.

It's okay, after a turn Pete won't remember.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
And by upgraded, do they have to start at 0XP? Because Aquninnah has two cards; one at 1XP and one at 3XP.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Where the Gods Dwell player cards. The entire Dream-Eaters cycle has now been revealed.

I really like that cat but off the top of my head I feel like those tokens are pretty uncommon in most bags (I think you can play the whole Circle Undone campaign without getting a tablet token depending upon your choices, for example). And it's 5XP. But still, removing nasty effects and big negative modifiers on hard/expert could be worth it.

I also like Garrote Wire for smoothing out ammo usage, but if it took an action it would be unplayable.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Why do you wear the garrote wire around your own neck? This is not where it is supposed to go!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Thoughts on solo for a beginner with one or two investigators? I bought into this game anticipating playing with my wife (who loves the Lovecraft setting and prefers cooperative games) but after playing the base campaign together, shes just not interested. I'll be playing solo and trying to figure out 1) if playing with 2 investigators at the same time is doing too much or if just playing 1 will be better and 2) what kind of average scenario lengths can I expect? Two investigators seems more interesting but with a 10 month old baby, I'm just not going to have hour and a half long blocks to play.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
True solo is definitely possible and is quicker than 2 handed solo, but has a few problems:

- It's very swingy, if you draw the wrong series of encounter cards you can be hosed even if your deck is great, on the other hand sometimes you just breeze through
- On top of that it's just generally harder (the game generally gets easier with more players)
- You don't get to play with a bunch of cards and mechanics that rely on having other players about
- You have to be able to do both clueing and manage enemies which restricts both your deckbuilding and choice of investigators

However as long as you're ok with the above true solo is still a fine way to play the game, and will definitely save you a fair amount of time compared to 2-handed. Just be prepared for a bit of potential frustration.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I play solo a lot and always play two handed. It's definitely a lot more upkeep, but the interactions and deckbuilding options are a lot more fun with at least two players.

I also tell myself that it allows someone to play a round with me if they ever want to, but that's never happened and it's kinda hard to sell someone on jumping into the middle of a campaign.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So here is a question when deck building, is it better to lean into an investigators strength or try to cover up their weaknesses? So far the decks that I've made mock ups of have been mostly leaning into strengths.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Losem posted:

So here is a question when deck building, is it better to lean into an investigators strength or try to cover up their weaknesses? So far the decks that I've made mock ups of have been mostly leaning into strengths.

If you're not playing solo, it's much better to lean into strengths. If there are two of us and one of us is really good at getting clues and the other is really good at fighting, then we can both get clues well and fight well. The exception is that if you're a clue-getter, you want to maybe have a one-shot trick or two for getting away from enemies, for those occasional situations where you happen to get in a real big enemy jam.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Play a fighter-but-some-investigator Jenny with a mostly investigator but also fighter Ashcan Pete.

Good intro combo for generalists without going full dedicated classes like Zoey and Rex. The issue with dedicated is that sometimes Zoey will be sitting on her rear end without anyone to kill or such, especially when you need clues like right now.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So I went off the deep end and finished off all the cycles I was missing. What's the preferred cycle? My friend and I just "finished" Carcosa. I've got the full Circle Undone, Dunwitch Legacy, Forgotten Age, and what's been released so far for Dream Eaters. Originally I wanted to do them in release order but my friend liked the theme for Carcosa so we went with that. I was thinking either Circle Undone or Dream Eaters. What are the opinions as far as difficulty/fun?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Difficulty is roughly (easiest to hardest)

Dunwich > Carcosa/Dream Eaters > Circle Undone > Forgotten Age

Having asked a similar question the response was that you probably want to do Dunwich first if you haven't already, but the rest do in any order. Dream Eaters and Circle Undone have a lot going on so you might want to wait a little bit for them though or it might be a bit overwhelming.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
How common is it for scenarios to use encounter cards from earlier sets in their encounter deck? I hadn't intended to sleeve encounter cards but I just finished Miskatonic Museum and I think all 3 Dunwich missions so far have used at least a few card sets from the original game.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

cheese posted:

How common is it for scenarios to use encounter cards from earlier sets in their encounter deck? I hadn't intended to sleeve encounter cards but I just finished Miskatonic Museum and I think all 3 Dunwich missions so far have used at least a few card sets from the original game.

Often.

Cycles never use other cycles' cards (no encounter cards from Dunwich used in Carcosa) but use the base set a often.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

jeeves posted:

Often.

Cycles never use other cycles' cards (no encounter cards from Dunwich used in Carcosa) but use the base set a often.

Gotcha, any sleeve recommendations for them then? I'm using Titanshield for player cards and they are very nice (a bit of room) but that seems overkill for encounter cards. Shuffling them without sleeves is a pain though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
A lot of people use standard penny sleeves for encounter cards, I personally don't bother

Note you might also want to separate out the encounter cards from Midnight Masks (Hunting Shadow/False Lead) as these come up quite a bit too

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've been using FFG's clear sleeves since they're cheap and I actually like the card backs for the game.

I tend to sleeve up anything that gets shuffled, but I leave the token references, locations, acts/agendas, and other scenario cards that don't get shuffled into decks unsleeved. It has the side benefit of making it easier to separate out those cards when setting up/taking down.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I use KMC Perfect Fits which are like 3c a sleeve as you can buy a 10-pack of 100each for like $30 online.

They're meant to go on the inside of insane-double sleeving for expensive Magic cards or whatever but they're perfectly fine for encounter cards.

For player cards I use Dragon Shield Mattes when they're in a deck, and keep them in binders when not.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice, might get the KMC perfect fits. Good point about sleeving only encounter deck cards, will speed up the process of making the decks when redoing a scenario.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Binders are super EZ for Arkham:

Class -> Asset -> Events -> Skills. Sort by release order.

For Encounter cards use the Return to boxes.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

jeeves posted:

I use KMC Perfect Fits which are like 3c a sleeve as you can buy a 10-pack of 100each for like $30 online.

They're meant to go on the inside of insane-double sleeving for expensive Magic cards or whatever but they're perfectly fine for encounter cards.

For player cards I use Dragon Shield Mattes when they're in a deck, and keep them in binders when not.

This is the exact same solution I use for the sleeves and for a moment felt confused how I already answered here

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I use dragon shields because that’s what I had when I started and I like the way it looks now but it’s expensive af and a dumb choice. But I’m three cycles in now so :v:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

I use dragon shields because that’s what I had when I started and I like the way it looks now but it’s expensive af and a dumb choice. But I’m three cycles in now so :v:

I don't think it's dumb, they're good sleeves and very protective. That's also what I use. Although I'd probably switch to Ultimate Guard if I was starting over.

Also looks like the new product is gonna be precon decks with new investigators and cards. I'm assuming similar to the Marvel LCG decks, but we'll see next week. Interesting idea, lets them put in new investigators/cards without needing to necessarily be linked to a campaign. And hopefully they'll quit putting new investigators in the books now!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Investigator Starter Decks. This is a lot more content than I was expecting. Great stuff.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kalko posted:

Investigator Starter Decks. This is a lot more content than I was expecting. Great stuff.

Oh this is fantastic.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Kalko posted:

Very cool, great product idea.

So Azure Flame is Shriveling but you take 1 damage on a positive chaos bag draw instead of 1 horror on a bad chaos bag draw. Interesting.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Those are pretty rad. Not terribly excited about spending $75 for all five when, arguably, you get the same player-card content from a deluxe box at $30, but additional investigators is always cool.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

More cards!

That new Necronomicon is my favorite of the revealed cards. It's like a 1920s smart phone. "There's a spell for that!" And kind of funny with Sleight of Hand out of Mandy or Rex.

edit : The investigators are pretty interesting. Mono-color only, but with pushed stats (5 in their core stat and 15 health/sanity, except for Stella with 16) and their signature cards are all in their class color as an additional bonus.

I know Rogue's pool of "succeed by 2 or more" cards has never amounted to an actual archetype, but now that there's an investigator based around the concept I'm wondering : can it be good? On hard/expert where you have to commit a lot just to pass tests, let alone succeed by any additional amount?

Kalko fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 25, 2020

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Finally, Harvey loving Walters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm a fan of those investigator abilities. Harvey's feels like the weakest of the lot but I can still see it getting good usage.